1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Cold War Deluxe; 1950-1991

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by El Justo, Dec 25, 2004.

1. El Justo

El Justo Deity

well, yes. West Germany never had such programs if i recall correctly.

2. DataForge22

DataForge22 Chieftain

No matter what I do, time won't progress, it starts on just "Dec." and stays like that forever.

3. Arvln

Arvln Walikota Bogor

Did you use the newest patch?
    I have the same problem and after I install the newest patch, it gone.

4. Band

Band Chieftain

Just update your Conquests to 1.22.

5. DataForge22

DataForge22 Chieftain

Thought so, much thanks guys!

6. IroquoisPlisken

IroquoisPlisken Brigadier Idiot

Just downloaded TCW Huge and started a game as the French (well, I don't know if I'll play as them, I just chose them to see the map). It looks awesome! I noticed the French are not at war with North Africa, though. I thought you said they had a locked war. France is at war with only North Vietnam.

Nice to see Augusta, ME. :) I'm just curious why some cities have the state after the name (ME, NM, OR), while others don't.

The Sahara and Amazon are HUGE! :lol: :crazyeye:

Those NATO bases everywhere should be cool. :cool:

7. MarineCorps

MarineCorps Explosion!

Personally I'd rather see Portland since thats the biggest city in the state. :D

8. PriestOfDiscord

PriestOfDiscord (Not MobBoss)

This brings up something I wanted to talk about earlier: Shouldn't the Israelis, Indians, IAP, and South Africans all get the nuclear missile production small wonder? All of these countries independently developed nukes during the cold war(the South Africans only dismantled their warheads in the very early years of the 90s, during the collapse of apartheid fascism).

Hey, and since I brought up those wacky South Africans I thought up a new idea for a unit: Vlakplaas Counter-Intelligence or Vlakplaas Counter-Insurgency. These were the white-minority brutal secret police forces with ties to the South African 'Defense Force' that engaged in everything from assassinations both within and outside of the RSA to operations that kept the South African death grip on their colony of South-West Africa(now known as Namibia) secure. They were also used as counter-revolutionary guerilla forces when the SADF entered the Portuguese-Angolan quagmire. They were also the forces that trained some black guerillas captured by the SADF or themselves and basically converted them by various means into spies, killers, and infantry units called askari. Just another sign of how effective they were is the fact that once the apartheid regime ended and the various shady elements of South African Intelligence were disbanded, they resurfaced as some of the most feared mercenary units in the world - including many of the 'private contractors' fighting in Iraq today. They were some of the vilest scum on earth, but they put even the KGB and Mossad to shame in their ability to get the job done.

I would represent them in much the same way other intelligence services are handled in this mod via an auto-producing wonder(available late middle age) that pumps them out. I'd give them a slightly higher attack than the average for specific country intel units, perhaps even with the ability to create askari units of their own when they win in combat or take a worker. Those could be represented simply as piss-poor quality post-war infantry. That wouldn't be unbalancing since the heyday of Vlakplaas atrocities were the late 70s and into the 80s, when modern infantry of standard quality would be making the scene.

edit: With 1.51 out I think I'll try one of the big boys this time. Soviet Russia here I come!

9. IroquoisPlisken

IroquoisPlisken Brigadier Idiot

It seems like all the other American cities are capitals, though, so Augusta fits better. I've been to Portland, but never Augusta, though, so either one is fine by me. ;)

Another thing I noticed is that Cuba is allied with NATO. My knowledge of this time period isn't that great, but is that because Cuba wasn't a threat to the U.S. until around the Cuban Missile Crisis? In the 50's, America and Cuba were allies, right? (well, maybe not allies, but they weren't enemies)

I also noticed that it's now possible to travel all the way across the map up by the North Pole. Traveling around the north of Asia should make for some interesting new attack plans.

10. I_batman

I_batman Emperor

Hi, something like what you described with the nukes is being discussed with El Justo now. It won't be in the "epic" game, as only the 5 original nuclear powers have the nukes, but the possibility for some tactical nukes for these other powers is under discussion for some of the "decades" games.

Key as always is balancing playability versus historical accuracy.

11. MarineCorps

MarineCorps Explosion!

Half capitials half not. Not to metion Portland used to be the capitial. :p

Castro has led cuba since 59 and before that Cuba was Americas playground. :p

In 1898 America "freed" Cuba from spain and after that cuba was pretty much a puppet of America.

12. pcasey

pcasey Chieftain

I like the huge map a lot actually. Especially in europe, it makes geography feel more like real life e.g. invading Murmansk from northern Sweden is now impractical, as opposed to the normal map where it was just a three step march and boom.

The large size has had a few effects I'm not sure I like though:

1) The map is way bigger, but the number of workers being produced/turn seems the same. So there's a severe worker shortage now. Maybe bump up worker pop rate X4 since the map has 4X as many tiles?

2) Air defense is a lot harder. More cities and longer air ranges mean you can't really stack up a good AD stack on every border city. The attacker can then just concentrate all his air on a particular city and burn through the AD pretty easily. This was a problem to an extent in the normal version, but you could work around it just by spamming fighters, but this time around that doesn't feel practical.

Generally though, I like it :).

13. Adler17

Adler17 Prussian Feldmarschall

At first I have to discuss the limiting of nuclear weapons. Indeed Germany tried to build up nuclear forces in the 60s by the then minister of defense, Franz- Josef Strauß. Since he had to resign after the Spiegel affair, this was not consequently finished. However Germany, I mean here West Germany of course, bought nuclear carriers but without the warhead, which were under US control but in Germany. Indeed untile now German pilots still train the nuking missions with nuclear bombs. However these bombs are still in US property and only given to the Germans in the case of the cases. Also other nations like some said before, had developed nuclear weapons resp. programs: Iran, South Africa, Pakistan, India, Argentina, Brazil, Israel. So I think the ability to build should be still the nuclear club resource but also not limited to any civ.
    The same is to the Lunar Landing issue. Indeed only two nations had big space programs. But only these two. So France and Britain should also not build it as well as China. Or to make it more fun indeed you should let it open. It is a good "what happened if".
    To the Huge map:
    Rename Prague to Munich. Munich is the 3rd biggest German city after Berlin and Hamburg. It must be in. Also Vienna is another point. Austria was neutral, but nevertheless more alligned to the NATO indeed. But Vienna Italian??? Historical more accurate would be giving it also to Germany. Warsaw and Cracow should be two tiles SE. Then you could add Danzig (Gdansk) and Breslau (Wroclaw) inbetween.
    Other proposals to the old game are still open.

Adler

14. El Justo

El Justo Deity

IroquoisPlisken,

i will check the n africa-french situation.

the state abbreviations are there b/c some civis have city names that are the same except.

there's surely alot more space on this map than the other one and yeah, the nato bases are there primarily for naval refitting/healing.

15. El Justo

El Justo Deity

PriestofDiscord,

a case can be made to put in several special UUs like you have noted.

however, it appears that we have reached the limit on how many improvements/wonders we can put into the game. iow, we have reached the cap. i'd surely re-visit it if i could find a solution to adding more improvements/wonders into the editor.

cuba was left out of the commie alliance in the 50s version only.

16. El Justo

El Justo Deity

hi pcasey.

yes, the geography is much better in the Huge map than the smaller one.

workers can be built in these Huge maps. so, there's no shortage there.

we had discussed modding the AA no's for the ground-based AA units. however, it was not incorporated into any of the new releases.

17. El Justo

El Justo Deity

hello Adler.

nuclear bomb and the space program capabilities rests solely w/ the so-called 'security council members' only. you may change it in your personal game if you wish. however, i would like to try to stay away from the 'what if' if i can 'atall help it.

i will have to look at map again to see exactly what you're saying.

vienna is w/ the italians by default. specifically, i gave it to this position primarily b/c of cultural boundries not to mention that the Italians, not the W Germans, were the de-facto guardians of austria during the cold war.

18. Adler17

Adler17 Prussian Feldmarschall

Where can I change this in the editor? I mean I did not see it an option at the wonders page.
    Oh BTW F 104 should be upgradeable to Tornado as the Tornado was introduced as replacement for the F 104.

Adler

19. El Justo

El Justo Deity

you'll have to look in the editor and see which tech and resource are required in order to build it.

the F104 doesn't upgrade to a tornado b/c it is an american-made plane, not british.

20. DarthCycle

DarthCycle WWII Freako

I downloaded and tried TCW 1.5 (standard map) last weekend and wow, this is an awesome mod!!!

I am really impressed by the overall quality of the work done

1) The world map is great
    2) I love the graphic used for the terrain
    3) Good selection of units
    4) A lot of work obviously went into the tech tree
    5) Really, really like the fact that the civilopedia was updated

Quick questions:

1) What navy unit (if any) have lethal bombardment?
    2) What air unit (if any) have lethal bombardment?
    3) How do we avoid the escalation of conflict in the beginning of the game?

I started a couple of games as the US and it takes no time for the Chinese or Russian to start making demands. If war is declared, within a couple of turn allies join in and there you go, global conflict. Not that conflict isn't fun, but the US doesn't have sufficient units to start (and win) an offensive war at the start of the scenario. Don't want to suffer from long-term war-wariness either since the US is democratic.

4) What countries have nuclear weapons at the start of the game or the capabilities to (auto) build them? Can I assume it's the countries from the UN security council (UK, US, France, China, Russia)?

5) Can someone refresh my memory in regards to the calculation involved in successfully implanting a spy in a country, the chance of the spy being caught and the chance for the target country to declare war because they caught the spy. Don't want to start a war (if I can avoid it) with China and Russia in order to get a feel for the OOB.