1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Cold War Deluxe; 1950-1991

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by El Justo, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Adler17

Adler17 Prussian Feldmarschall

Exactly that happened what I feared: Pollution on the US airbase. Can I do anything, without inviting the Soviets to take this tile?

Adler

2. El Justo

El Justo Deity

i'm afraid not :(

you could always try to see if they'll leave your territory but this is iffy at best (although i had a similar occurrence at sea [a canuck sub blocking my port of SF] and after several diplo exchanges, i was able to get them to leave).

3. Adler17

Yes I did that but then I can´t take the airfield just because that would be seen as agression against allies!

Adler

4. Garik

Garik Chieftain

El Justo,
    Next completed Scenario is War on terrorism 2001-2010...????

5. pcasey

pcasey Chieftain

January 1950 -- A quick perusal of the forces of my disposal revaels a staggering lack of offensive units. I have a grand total of 6 T-34s. My armored force is easily outnumbered by the combined NATO armies. That's not necessarily crippling as I can count on the AI to mismanage its forces, but it still takes me as a budding warlord, slightly aback. Here I thought my huge stockpile of WW II material and continued production, coupled with western post-war demobilization (and the fact that during the war I outnumbered their tank park significantly anyway) would have given me numerical superiority in tanks. Evidently not. On the plus side, I have a lot of artillery, 8 or so tubes.

March 1950 -- The Pact armies have been reorganized into an Uber stack aimed at Hannover. We move it into a hill adjacent to the city and DOW West Germany.

April 1950 -- World war rages. NATO airpower laughs at my air defences which can only defend one city at a time. With the new larger air ranges and inter-city distances, point AD isn't working. I make a mental note to spam fighters before the next war and wonder if it'll be enough. On a plus note, my uber stack shells Hannover into rubble and my tanks roll in, though I lose two in the process so I'm down to 4 tanks.

May 1950 -- Massive NATO counterattacked all across europe. Huge masses of Shermans move down from scandanavia to threaten Lenningrad. The east german plains groan under the weight of allied armor. I'm going to have to just soak them as I lack any armor to counterattack. I dig into Hannover and wait for my tanks to repair.

June 1950 -- The scandandavians bum-rush Lenningrad. I lose two infantry but gut their armored force. Gotta love the AI. US and West German forces bypass my border cities and push deeper into the worker's paradise. I redirect infantry to nearby cities to try to keep their thrust contained. In the meantime my uber-stack in Hannover leaves cantonment and moves north, intent on gobbling one more west german city before peace breaks out.

6. DarthCycle

DarthCycle WWII Freako

After a couple of turns of relative peace, war is back on the global scale. All major countries are involved in at least one war. Oh well ;)

I noticed that the starting destroyers for the US cannot see enemy subs, is this the case for all US destroyers or just the early ones? By contrast, (early/gato) subs are able to see other subs.

I can understand the gameplay reason for this design (enhance the usage/utility of the sub versus the destroyer), but realistically, it makes no sense for a sub to see enemy subs and for destroyers not to be able to do the same, if the said sub and destroyer have access to the same technology.

The technology required in order to have a sub to detect other sub is only available much later. If memory serves (and thanks to wipidedia), the Barracuda class sub was the first (US) sub specifically designed to hunt other sub and equipped with the appropriate technology.

Except for nuclear submarines, available much later with the Nautilus class, submarine are powered with diesel engine. This implies that most of the time, the sub is on the surface both for fuel efficiency and speed. When on surface, anti-submarine doctrine indicate the use of radar and planes to spot submarines. Once the technology was available and proven in the field, it didn't take very long in WWII for most destroyers to get a radar. Hence another argument for destroyers to be able to see (diesel powered) subs.

Another question: none of US fighters available at the beginning of the scenario can perform the reconnaissance mission. What plane will be able to do so, if any? And what is the design decision behind this?

7. PriestOfDiscord

PriestOfDiscord (Not MobBoss)

No problem, I'm glad to help. :)

I agree that it would be mid to late game for most of the mid-tier nations to get the chance to arm themselves. If it helps, this is the list of when every nuclear nation developed their first deployable weapon(?'s indicate that no specific date is known):
    United States - 1945
    Soviet Union - 1949
    United Kingdom - 1953
    French Republic - 1964
    People's Republic of China - 1964
    Israel - 1967-1968?
    India - Tested a weapon in 1974, but claimed that they weren't developing an arsenal. It's doubtful that they were telling the truth.
    South Africa - 1982?
    Pakistan - Really unknown. They openly tested a weapon only after the end of the era covered (1998), but fairly credible sources claim they had a weapon ready by 1983.

8. Bob1475

Bob1475 Prince

El Justo - I am new to TCW - what biq is current - you have removed 1.5.
    1.51 seems a variant as does the huge map.

9. Anthropoid

Anthropoid Grognard fantome

Yeah, I'd love to try out this scenario. Unfortunately fate does not seem to have it in the cards today. Two dls still was getting the "PediaIcons Theater" error. Third attempt at dl was only about 50% done after 30 min, probably peaking out this time of night.

I switched from Winzip to winrar, and hopefully that will solve the previous problem with corruption in the pediaIcons owing to the slow downloads. Not sure why this would plague me. I am in Canada, but am using DSL, so it should be fairly fast I'd guess. May try downloading at an off hour and see if I have success.

In any event, my hat is off to you El Justo and crew for the Herculean effort in designing, building and (based on the length of this thread :goodjob: ) fine-tuning this scenario. Hopefully one day I'll get to win the Cold War and grind those Commie bastiches into the dust :)

10. Adler17

I found a way to clean the pollution via C3MT by editing a worker to that location!

Adler

11. I_batman

I_batman Emperor

1.51 is the most current regular map.
    If you are playing TCW for the first time, I would recommend playing that first to get a feel for the game.
    The huge map, is well, huge, (at 117650 tiles versus 17420 for the regular map), and with about 60% more cities, with a ton more units to start.
    Plus you need a powerful processor and a lot of patience to play the huge map.

12. El Justo

El Justo Deity

hi Garik.

i doubt it. however, Rocoteh and i have a joint civ3c project that is similar but it's on the back burner right now.

13. El Justo

El Justo Deity

hi pcasey.

we didn't want to stack too many units at the start of the scenario for a few reasons. one is the load time and another is balance (sort of).

your notes on the point AD are interesting. we'd like to see how this unfolds for you as you progress. i mean, if it's a blatant problem, then we'll have to re-examine the air defense for the Huge maps.

well, it's good to see the AI at least pushinging inland :lol:

we look forward to your next round of reports :goodjob:

14. I_batman

I_batman Emperor

OK Folks:

Unfortunately, the game engine decided I had finished my Israel game when it must have tried loading an immobile unit in a transport, and froze the game.
    El Justo has fixed this bug in 1.51.

But by late 1967, Israel had managed, with tremendous help from the IAP, SE Asia, and Turkey, in devastating the Arab League, and leaving them with only their two Egyptian cities.
    Israel is now a 10 city regional power, pumping out Mekerva I's, a very lethal tank.

I would suggest anyone playing Israel to exercise extreme patience, and let the IAP hammer away at the Arab defences, then opportunistically seize any cities that the appear weak. Don't underestimate the initial resources of the Arab League, as they will throw up a tough, tough defence.

The city of Mosul took at least 15 turns to conquer, and that was only after the constant pounding of armour by IAP and Turkey.

The Warsaw Pact was strangely quiet in the Middle East during the offensives, but I am sure that was because they had their hands full hammering China and fighting NATO in Europe. Warsaw Pact by early '68 has Kiel in Europe and has about 7 Chinese cities under its yoke, let alone the 4 or 5 Chinese cities it has razed.
    Britian and SE Asia have also gotten into the act capturing Chinese cities, and China has only 7 cities left.

So, back to Israel. I would say it is a very playable position, as long as you don't overextend yourself early, and give IAP, SE Asia, and Turkey ROP to help you out.

I would like to suggest for a Israeli house victory condition, taking all of the Arab League by Jan 1970, while stopping WP from taking ANY I/A/P cities, at demigod level, is a worthy challenge.

15. El Justo

El Justo Deity

howdy DarthCycle.

we did a wholesale revision of naval warfare for v1.5 onwards. subs are the only sea vessels able to 'see invisible' until about mid-game or so. while i admit it's not entirely accurate from an historical view point, it adds a helluva lot more strategy to naval warfare. accordingly, we will sacrifice historical accuracy for the sake of balance/strategy.

the recon flag was removed from all fighters and bombers alike. this is simply b/c of the 'U2/Spy Planes', 'Recon Satellite' and the 'ASW Planes'. iow, in order to give these units a "raison d'être", we needed to remove recon flags from all other air units.

16. El Justo

El Justo Deity

well done PoD! we will use that info for the Huge versions. nice work!

17. El Justo

El Justo Deity

hola Anthropoid.

thanks for the props. we burnt an awful lot of energy getting this hog together. i would never have been able to refine it w/out the help of my CFC friends, Klyden, I_Batman, and vingrjoe (among others). :D

i would say to try yet again to DL the large file and try to extract it again. repetition seems to be the buzzword w/ the error you're receiving.

let us know b/c it's certainly able to be fixed w/out much effort.

PS you'll be happy to see the lovely Canadian flavor units in TCW ;)

18. El Justo

El Justo Deity

greetings Bob1475.

yes, what I_Batman wrote is correct. v1.51 is the regular (small) map. i would definitely give this one a shot before venturing onto the Huge one.

we love reports, too!

19. Adler17

El Justo, two other things to think on:

The German economic wonder (so called Wirtschaftswunder) was not forseeable shortly after the war. Ideas for implementation or shall the industrious trait simulate this?

If the Russian player is good, he can crush Germany relative fast. To give them a city in South America (Suriname, once Dutch colony) would make the life harder for uncle Joe. This was already tested in WW2 Global by Rocoteh with the Polish. But in the last versions he canceled this. I don´t know why.

For the great map I gave you already some infos, like introduction of Munich, Stuttgart, Breslau and Danzig. Basra should be a harbour town. Hamburg shouls be in but then you would have to redesign every German city...

Adler

20. El Justo

El Justo Deity

Adler,

i'm not sure what this is (Wirtschaftswunder) :confused:

all NATO-type civis in Europe can build the "Marshall Plan Aid" sm wonder from the get-go iirc. this aides in production and also gives a small culture boost.

i'd like to stay away from adding colony cities on the regular map and in central africa. i mean, if we did it for WG/LL, we'd have to do it for Spain/Portugal, France, et als.

basra is a little inland...