1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Cold War Deluxe; 1950-1991

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by El Justo, Dec 25, 2004.

1. El Justo

El Justo Deity

Arvln,

i'm not sure why...however, it should be corrected in the update.

also, yes, i have put a city on Borneo for the new version.

2. El Justo

El Justo Deity

Aeon221,

nice to see ya in the TCW thread ;)

as we know from past experiences, it is really, really hard to stay historically accurate in world-wide type scenarios but i think that we've gotten as close to it as possible for this one.

hopefully, i can read some of your game reports once we finish the update which should be finished soon.

3. warmwaffles

warmwaffles Programmer

El do you want me to post the units that I put pics in for in post 237?

4. warmwaffles

warmwaffles Programmer

Here is what I am talking about where to place the immobile units

5. El Justo

El Justo Deity

Dark Scipio,

well, to be honest, the majority of the time spent (prior to releasing it) was about 4+ months. alot (& i mean ALOT!) of research, mass text entries and a ton of playtesting.

lowlands and w germany have been 'merged' in the upcoming version for a multitude of reasons (production, science, defense, etc)

re your euro revisions:
    i'd love to include hungarian cities and austrian ones as well as czech ones but the map (quite small) just won't allow it. speaking of the map, it's Rhye's 134x130 "over-sized europe" map and the 'over-sizing' seems to end right around where the Iron Curtain begins thus preventing me from putting all of the cities & civs that i want to include. i'm not complaining by any means. i swear by Rhye's maps ;)

South Africa is a new civ in the updated version

Copenhagen is now Scandinavian in the updated version

Scapa was included b/c i wanted to boost English production/science, etc as much as possible and cities are the main instrument for that. plus, it was (still is i think) a main naval base for the brits.

i merged lowlands & w germany and also merged portugal & spain in the update version (not finished yet).

Africa is now split up. N Africa/Central Africa/South Africa

South America is now split up also. Colombia/Peru/Venezuela as 1 civ, Brazil as another and Argentina/Chile/Boilivia in the last one.

6. El Justo

El Justo Deity

heh...good point. i thought of this as well (hong kong) and may still try and see if i can squeeze it in for the brits. it may be tough goin' though b/c of the real lack of space on the map.

i originally had the UK city of Stanley in the falklands but turned it into an Airbase instead b/c, over the course of playtesting, Stanley became a beast of a city on par w/ London, etc. there is cyprus also which was a british possesion until the summer of 1960. as it stands, the UK has an airbase there also (singapore, too).

what a great idea about a "Port"! maybe for civ4...

7. El Justo

El Justo Deity

Klyden,

excellent work my friend!

it's nice to see W Germany/Lowlands taking to the offensive. i had similar occurances w/ Warsaw Pact and Scandinavia trading cities like that.

re Cuba:
    i should probably do some play testing w/ them to see what their productivity levels and defense/offense capabilities are like.

re China:
    are they strong enough? what type of resistance did you face while taking their cities? one little known fact about china in this scenario is their ability to build an improvement (not a SW or GW) that autopoduces a "People's Armed Policman" unit every 10 turns. however, it is only buildable sometime in the early part of the last era (1976-1989). this is huge b/c every 10 turns, an immobile & free of upkeep unit is spawned. i did this to simulate the unthinkable notion (in RL of course) of an army attempting to invade china as utterly difficult as possible. so, in other words, china stands to become an absolute beast lat in the game.

that's great to see the naval battles and movements. it's always really hard to predict how the AI will not only move their naval vessels around and all but if they'll even build them in the first place! so, this is good news i guess.

i agree about the diversity of civs in TCW. this may lend to a 'good re-playability' aspect for this scenario which is definitely a good thing.

8. El Justo

El Justo Deity

that could be a very good idea Driveby...what does everyone else think?

9. warmwaffles

warmwaffles Programmer

For some reason when I play as W Germany I kill russia china and all the other countries but when I play WP I kill all of europe? on Monarch difficulty with AI agression on the highest thing. Is it just cuz Humans think more logically than the AI? I think the AI produces the cheapest unit possible and how to combat that I thought you should change the shield ratio at which the computer gets like one or two more shields per turn than the human does you know to make it......challenging ;)

10. El Justo

El Justo Deity

what do you mean?

yes, the AI is silly.

the AI does go after the cheaper units alot of the time but not always.

i don't know if you can make it so that the AI receives more shields than the human player. in other words, you can't seperate them. i could be wrong but i think this is in the "General Settings" tab in the editor.

11. warmwaffles

warmwaffles Programmer

Look below should explain where it is to be found

12. El Justo

El Justo Deity

13. warmwaffles

warmwaffles Programmer

Ya make straight A's 4.0 GPA. Sports really help my grades. I plan to be a computer programer, pilot, or computer graphics mostly that is my future.

BTW I finally lost a game. When I played as W Germany I got crushed really bad by the chinese and WP they jumped me around the 50 turn marker. I thought to myself WTF were did all of that armor come from? Think the comp got industrious on me for some strange reason I am going into debug mode to see if I can recreate an event like this. Will get back to you with results.

14. El Justo

El Justo Deity

i'm just playin' ;)

i am studying to be a teacher believe it or not.

wow! what difficulty level were you playing on?

i can send you the latest update if you want to try that. i think it's best to play-test the latest version anyhow but it's up to you...

15. warmwaffles

warmwaffles Programmer

Send it!!! Love to play it.

I was playing on Emperor on the highest agression BOY that was a mistake :lol: that wasted 45-50 minutes of my life :lol:

16. El Justo

El Justo Deity

will do.

check your email.

17. warmwaffles

warmwaffles Programmer

Ok I am soooo tired but I got some of the recreation done but still not the same results.

I looked at it in my saved game editor:
    It seems WP and China suddenly decided to get all industrious.
    But this has only happened 1 out of 20-25 times cuz times when I play one or the other is industrious but this is a first.

Almost all of the towns had built factories and some nuclear plants.

Plus another note China and Russia didn't get along all that well in fact in history they had small skirmishesbetween each other and China would steal stuff right off of the Russian trains. Like ammunition, Guns, and every now and then Armor. Now how can we implement this simple: put a small wonder call plondered russian armor or weapons and give it to the chinese but with a lower attack and defense. I will try to find the site were I found this info.

EDIT: One more thing I know you wont implement M-Units but look at the Fallout Trooper Regiment I love it I might implement it some where....just not here. :lol:

18. El Justo

El Justo Deity

here's a 24 turn play-test as the UK:

Jan '61: Moscow builds "Art of War" GW
    Jan '61: Chicago build "Rock-n-Roll" GW
    Feb '61: W Germany/Lowlands build "Interplanetary Observatory" GW
    Aug '61: Argentina/Chile/Bolivia declare war vs. Brazil
    Sept '61: Warsaw Pact declares war vs. USA, etc.

i 'gave in' to enemy tribute demands just to see how the AI reacted against each other.

UK build rates are acceptable.

there was alot of naval movements after war the mass declaration of war.

i set the AI agression rate to its highest setting and it showed.

all of the autopro' errors are now fixed

below is a screen shot of the UK w/ my MI6 (Bond :D ) chillin' in Scotland, looking for some trouble. i just love that unit!

Attached Files:

19. warmwaffles

warmwaffles Programmer

All right I will be back in here a lot more next week end. I have stayed up longer than I should have :lol:

I will finish my play testing when I get back from my swim practice. (I hate it :lol: but I love to compete)

20. Metacomet

Metacomet King

Hi,

I was playing with Japan and I noticed that China can take South Korea in one or two turns, maybe you should think to reinforce their positions.

BTW can you think about making a slower version with real city population, culture and improvements. It takes a long time to Japan, one of the most powerful economies in the world, do something. After 3 world wars I'm still creating a decent army, I didn't have the chance to do any military thing because I'm too scared of an invasion :mad: .