The Cold War Deluxe; 1950-1991

I'm sure it'll be back up and running in no time. Although one thing I noticed, is that leaders, by themselves, can't be airlifted. Is this by design? It was very annoying when the place that was building them had to wait for transports all the time, rather than just airlifting them

cassa61 said:
I'm sure it'll be back up and running in no time. Although one thing I noticed, is that leaders, by themselves, can't be airlifted. Is this by design? It was very annoying when the place that was building them had to wait for transports all the time, rather than just airlifting them
cassa61,

yeah, it shouldn't take too long to get back to where you were...

re Leaders:

it's very, very difficult to 'build' them. IIRC, you need a victorious army in a specific city in order to build the "Officer Training School" small wonder (i think) which, in turn, allows you to build Leader units. however, you would've needed to have spawned a GML from an elite unit victory and this is very tough to get.

this is how you got to this point? if so, i understand why you wouldn't want to start over :cool:

Getting a leader isn't incredibly hard. Its a 1/16 chance with each elite unit victory.
You can build the Officer Training School as soon as one of your armies has won a battle, no need to bring it to any city. The pedia was kinda weird about this, it suggested that you lost the army or something when the Officer Training School was built.

Gunner said:
Getting a leader isn't incredibly hard. Its a 1/16 chance with each elite unit victory.
You can build the Officer Training School as soon as one of your armies has won a battle, no need to bring it to any city. The pedia was kinda weird about this, it suggested that you lost the army or something when the Officer Training School was built.
i have horrible luck and the RNG generally dislikes me. so, yeah, it's very hard for me to get GMLs in general.

you mean the Civilopdia entry for the OTS?

When i click on the senario it gives me this error message

Load error
Error reading file
Missing entry in "text\Pedialcons.txt." ICON_BLDG_Theater

Is this common? or did i do something wrong in installing this senario?

joeybobdog said:
When i click on the senario it gives me this error message

Load error
Error reading file
Missing entry in "text\Pedialcons.txt." ICON_BLDG_Theater

Is this common? or did i do something wrong in installing this senario?
joeybobdog,

let's see...

the main DL (the big one) folder, labeled TCW, should be in your "Scenarios" folder of your "Conquests" folder

the biq file should also be in the "Scenarios" folder

load the scenario through the "Civ Content" button on the intro screen

let me know how it goes. i can get it running if you have any problems.

Gunner said:
Yeah, the OTS entry tells you something like to use the army first and do some damage and then build the OTS. I suggests that you need the army or will lose it.
so, if the Army that enabled you to build the OTS perishes, you lose your OTS small wonder?

I can't figure it out did you do what roco said?

Another note I think you need to remove the oil from america because we didn't have enough to support our attack force but instead put a lot in Saudi Arabia and one or two on north africa. That way america NEEDS to import and export things I think it be more realistic. Make sure that the oil can come in on a large account from some allies.

Is there any chance you will make a multi player version?

2 things I noticed. The type 42 DDG and the civil engineering firm are both only 1 shield. Is this intentional? Or a mistype?

Drivebymaster said:

Another note I think you need to remove the oil from america because we didn't have enough to support our attack force but instead put a lot in Saudi Arabia and one or two on north africa. That way america NEEDS to import and export things I think it be more realistic. Make sure that the oil can come in on a large account from some allies.
i know what he was saying...he suggested that i remove the leader name entries in one of the 2 tabs in the editor. i haven't tried it yet but i will.

i hadn't considered any type of strong reliance on foreign resources (oil in particular). as a matter of fact, each and every civ has at least one oil, one rubber and one aluminum resource hidden underneath a city.

Drivebymaster said:
One other thing we should like try and set up a chat room some time like weekly on Sunday's. Cuz that is when I am free ;)
this sunday will be football oriented as i watch to see if my beloved Iggles can finally get over the hump ;)

also, i know i keep sending you new files but i'll have the most recent biq update finished by this evening. i can send that to you if you'd like.

Duddha said:
Is there any chance you will make a multi player version?
Duddha,

i'd love to make a MP version. however, i'm not entirely familiar w/ its quirks and restrictions (no. of civs, etc).

IMHO, this scenario would be absolutely awesome to play in MP mode; especially for the proper usages of air units and arty.

so, if you could make any type of recommendations etc, that'd be great.

cassa61 said:
2 things I noticed. The type 42 DDG and the civil engineering firm are both only 1 shield. Is this intentional? Or a mistype?
cassa61,

i'll have to take a look at that. good spot...

Drivebymaster said:

wow thats a great idea. it would also point to the fact that america did indeed have to protect saudi arabia / middle east (see afghanistan 1980, support of saddam regime before 1990) from russian invasions during cold war, while russia rich in resources but low on infrastructure has to find a way to exploit the rich resources that can be found in its vast siberian spaces, and eventually be able to sell them to its allies.
and btw the german chancellor from 1949 - 1963 was konrad adenauer, if you want historically accurate leader names ;), but he was an old man already in 1960 so you might want to pick a younger leader for germany ;)

Oi!tschland said:
wow thats a great idea. it would also point to the fact that america did indeed have to protect saudi arabia / middle east (see afghanistan 1980, support of saddam regime before 1990) from russian invasions during cold war, while russia rich in resources but low on infrastructure has to find a way to exploit the rich resources that can be found in its vast siberian spaces, and eventually be able to sell them to its allies.
and btw the german chancellor from 1949 - 1963 was konrad adenauer, if you want historically accurate leader names ;), but he was an old man already in 1960 so you might want to pick a younger leader for germany ;)
it is a neat idea but the current alliance set-up won't really allow it; or more specifically, it'd make it hard for the civs w/out the needed resource to build their equipment

for example, the "Arab League", which includes the countries of Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Egypt & Saudi Arabia are in a "locked alliance" w/ the soviets. i know it's not entirely accurate but we've done alot of testing and concluded that this is what's best; at least for the time being. afghanistan is now merged w/ pakistan and are locked w/ the US, etc thus ensuring a war should the soviets invade. traditionally, the pakistanis staunchly opposed the soviet intervention in afghanistan and even engaged soviet pilots who strayed over into pakistan on a few occassions.

i really want to make a 'no-frills' version where the alliances aren't so rigid. by this mean that i'd include the NATO civs in one alliance, the Warsaw Pact civs in another and leave out certain civs like the Arab League, China, India, etc. in this case, the implemenation of the reliance of resource importation/exportation could be emphasized.

El Justo,
I just downloaded the scenario and it looks great :goodjob: . I haven't played yet, but I've been looking at a couple of things that would truly make this scenario one of the best ever. These may have been discussed, but I don't have time to read this whole thread right now.

1) Leaderheads or a .flc of the nations flag

2) To fix the leader name issue, where they all have the same name, cut the leader's names from - Scenario Properties under the Players tab and paste it to - Edit Rules under the Civilizations tab. Leave the names blank under Scenario Properties, and it works perfect. Also here's a good link to get historical leaders names: http://rulers.org

Once again, it looks great, and I hope to find out the loading times are as fast as mentioned. I wish I could find a way to make World 2004 faster without sacrificing the current details.

Top Bottom