1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Cold War Deluxe; 1950-1991

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by El Justo, Dec 25, 2004.

1. cassa61

cassa61 Chieftain

Another thing I noticed when trying to finish off China, they have a city as far north as possible. Is this to prevent destruction of them? As nothing will stop the hordes of Australia! NOTHING!!! Except maybe, the update. Also, what's the point of the Lynx transport, other than the bombard, it doesn't seem able to do anything. Is it designed as a purely defensive unit?

2. El Justo

El Justo Deity

kpimm,

thanks for the nice remarks.

i put out a request to a CFC friend of mine on the leader/flag heads and i'm awaiting his repsonse. i figured static flags would suffice in order to conserve space.

thanks for the advice on the leader names, too. i shall implement it for the next version.

the fast load times are accomplished by one main feature: the map

it's 134x130 and is made by Rhye. his maps are fantastic and are the best thing that's ever happened to scenario creation (aside from unit gfx of course).

an update is in the works and should be ready for DL very soon. of course, i could send out an 'Update' folder by email if it is so desired. :)

3. El Justo

El Justo Deity

that city that you see around the north pole is the product of the "Respawn AI" flag which plops the decimated civ down on a section of the map that is least occupied. this has been shut off in the new version.

the Lynxx doesn't have a transport capacity? it should. this is the main feature of the transport helis b/c it allows the human (the AI is just plain stupid) to send troops to the front lines and add more mobility to one's fighting force. here is another area where a human vs human would be a very interesting matchup.

4. cassa61

cassa61 Chieftain

Nope, moved an "Australian Infantry" unit to the same square, and no load option came up. It didn't have a move option either

5. El Justo

El Justo Deity

oaky. i'll look at the Lynxx again and see if i missed it.

it may have been fixed in one of the last updates that we've been sending back and forth to each other but i'll certailnly look at it.

6. Klyden

Klyden Emperor

One note in regards to resources.

First, remember when the game starts (1960). The trade dynamics of the world were quite different then compared to now. The US was not nearly so dependant on imports of oil and the Texas/Oklahoma oil fields were booming along with the Pennsylvania fields as well.

It should be noted that even today, the US imports around 12% of its oil from the Middle East. Most of the imported oil comes from Canada, Mexico and Venzuela. Much of the Middle East crude goes to Europe and the far east.

The other issue is that it is very difficult to set up and ensure that oil is traded between countries of the same side. Many times, the AI will simply not trade with you, even if you are on the same "side". I have seen several issues with this on WW2 scenarios involving Germany. The tendancy is to give them no oil and make them try to figure out a way to import it and it almost never works very well.

7. El Justo

El Justo Deity

Klyden,

yes. i was thinking that same thing regarding the exagerated american reliance on ME oil.

resource trading shouldn't really be a main concern. after all, the 3 main resources (oil/rubber/aluminum) are pre-placed for every single civ (underneath the cities). the other important resource, uranium, is given only to the appropriate civs.

speaking of resources, there are about 2 dozen or so 'custom' resources that are either pre-placed under cities or have no icon assigned to them (hence their invisibility on the map). they are named after countries (for the most part) and their sole purpose is to make them required to build the special flavor improvements and wonders that are available to many of the civs. this is done by the "Required Resource Must be within City Limits" flag. now, i've seen these resources being traded before in-game but haven't seen any glitches as far as certain civs being able to build any flavor improvement/wonder that they shouldn't be able to build. it's something to keep an eye on though.

8. Metacomet

Metacomet King

El Justo,

Yes please send me send me the folder, I'll be more that happy to try to help.

9. GoliathFF8

GoliathFF8 Chieftain

Umm... I have been having a little bit of trouble with the scenario. I play it and after about 20 turns this shows up:

Now I downloaded the fix and placed in the the right place (I think, you ARE supposed to delete all of the other files in the MI6 folder and leave the fix there on its own right?). So I have no idea whats going wrong.

10. warmwaffles

warmwaffles Programmer

Go ahead and send it

11. El Justo

El Justo Deity

GoliathFF8,

you shouldn't delete the .flc files in the MI6 folder. just the pre-existing INI file (MI6.INI). in other words, the "MI6 INI" patch refers only to the INI text file and none of the other files within that folder.

also, once fixed, you can re-load your game at the turn in which it had crashed (the 'auto save function on the Load Game button).

let me know if i can be of any further assistance...

12. El Justo

El Justo Deity

Metacomet,

i'll send it via email.

thanks

13. El Justo

El Justo Deity

14. warmwaffles

warmwaffles Programmer

All right I will try it.

15. GoliathFF8

GoliathFF8 Chieftain

Well, you see the problem here is that there is no pre-existing INI file. It just came with the .flc files. I did try earlier to just have the new INI file along with the .flc files but that didn't seem to work.

16. El Justo

El Justo Deity

GoliathFF8,

let's see if this works...

just DL the attached file and place it it the following directory:
    Civilization III/Conquests/Scenarios/TCW/Art/Units

simply overwrite any existing files. this should work...

17. cassa61

cassa61 Chieftain

Ok, playing as Australia, and this is all first turn observations, everything looks good. Except for South Africa in the diplomacy screen. But so far, no game stopping issues, maybe next turn ;)

Attached Files:

18. GoliathFF8

GoliathFF8 Chieftain

You won't belive this but that new patch doesn't work either. Man, this is getting extremely frustrating.

19. Sturmgewehr

Sturmgewehr Warlord

20. warmwaffles

warmwaffles Programmer

I didn't need to know that.

El Justo:
    Sorry I have been gone so long is because I had a swim meet but I will try and play your mod. Will give you feedback.