The Cold War Deluxe; 1950-1991

I think I have to take a break from the Sverdlov and play a few more rounds.

If I remember right, I left off in the early '70s and had just modernized my Iowas and was working on building some Aegis CGs. My Navy had 4 main SAGs. Each one consisted of one Iowa BB, two carriers, fully loaded with Tomcats, two DDGs and four to six CGs/CGNs. (I have my Iowas set up with lethal land and sea bombard and blitz abilites...almost seems unfair to the AI.) The Tomcats were set to Air Superiority missions. The Bears wouldn't go near my main SAGs. I took over Cuba early on ingame, off course I am now shunned regularily by my so called 'Allies' for my war mongoring. Then I took that city on the NW tip of Africa. South Korea fell early in the game. For the most part, I'm putzing around building up city improvements and my military forces.
If I remeber right, I'm playing at Monarch level, I wanted to ease into the scenario to get a feel for it. What difficulty level would you guys recommend to get the most out of this scenario ?

As promised, here is a screen shot from my latest TCW-MP.

It is Feb 1968 I believe. I have not run the rest of the turn, except to capture Beijing. I am probably about ready to call this game as it is pretty much done. As you can see, the blue wave has struck pretty hard. In other areas, the Mid Eastern position finally took a city from India and the Euros finally manged to take Berlin. Other than that, there has not been much action.

SA continues to be very agressive and pump a lot of units into the fight. I destroyed a stack of 20 something units on the coast road and their air force has been a constant drain on my air assets. On top of this, they have been sending a pile of subs up the Africa and Iberian coast to try to reach my convoys going to France.

Africa sent two T55 units in to kick me out of Rabat. (Don't think so). The WP has been trying to move infantry into position to counter attack. I have pretty much shattered their communications and Infantry is probably about all they are capable of at this point and that is just not going to get it done. There are a lot of Chinese-Indian units now in WP territory, so I am not exactly sure what that is about either.

Attachments

• NA1968.JPG
    NA1968.JPG
    274.1 KB · Views: 222
vingrjoe said:
If I remeber right, I'm playing at Monarch level, I wanted to ease into the scenario to get a feel for it. What difficulty level would you guys recommend to get the most out of this scenario ?

Honestly, with the tweaks that you have going in favor of the US, I would jack it up to at least Diety if you plan on continuing to play with them.

From my experience, Monarch is a good level for most positions, particularly Commie (maybe Emp if you like the punishment). If you want to play the US, it seems you need to go to a higher level to get a challenging game.

clabauterman said:
Is there something wrong with the download limit? I've tried for several days, but it doesn't seem to work.
i think there is something wrong with it. it seems that the mods are currently working on it though.

Excellent scenario. No review yet, im still in the middle of my game, but soon. Anyone else ever had a problem with date display. I have no idea what turn I am on or what date it is. It always says Dec with no year listed.

jlacow said:
Excellent scenario. No review yet, im still in the middle of my game, but soon. Anyone else ever had a problem with date display. I have no idea what turn I am on or what date it is. It always says Dec with no year listed.
thank you jlacow. we'd look forward to a report.

i had a problem w/ the date display in the last version. it's actually the "Script.txt" file in the Text folder of the large DL. it can be esaily fixed though.

if you replace it w/ your default Conquests "Script.txt" file then it should clear up the date problem. it'll even show it in your latest game if you insert it into the TCW/Text folder.

vingrjoe said:
I think I have to take a break from the Sverdlov and play a few more rounds.

If I remember right, I left off in the early '70s and had just modernized my Iowas and was working on building some Aegis CGs. My Navy had 4 main SAGs. Each one consisted of one Iowa BB, two carriers, fully loaded with Tomcats, two DDGs and four to six CGs/CGNs. (I have my Iowas set up with lethal land and sea bombard and blitz abilites...almost seems unfair to the AI.) The Tomcats were set to Air Superiority missions. The Bears wouldn't go near my main SAGs. I took over Cuba early on ingame, off course I am now shunned regularily by my so called 'Allies' for my war mongoring. Then I took that city on the NW tip of Africa. South Korea fell early in the game. For the most part, I'm putzing around building up city improvements and my military forces.
nice going on the SAG's vingrjoe. :goodjob:

Klyden hammers me but i am convinced that the AI is more agressive and more importantly, conducts thorough counter-attacks at demigod level. sid is rediculous. i was constantly on the defensive and any offensive capacity was out of the question for me (as USA).

my current personal game is at demigod level and i've had to use every single piece of the Yankee Arsenal to forge through europe.

Klyden said:
As promised, here is a screen shot from my latest TCW-MP.

It is Feb 1968 I believe. I have not run the rest of the turn, except to capture Beijing. I am probably about ready to call this game as it is pretty much done. As you can see, the blue wave has struck pretty hard. In other areas, the Mid Eastern position finally took a city from India and the Euros finally manged to take Berlin. Other than that, there has not been much action.

SA continues to be very agressive and pump a lot of units into the fight. I destroyed a stack of 20 something units on the coast road and their air force has been a constant drain on my air assets. On top of this, they have been sending a pile of subs up the Africa and Iberian coast to try to reach my convoys going to France.

Africa sent two T55 units in to kick me out of Rabat. (Don't think so). The WP has been trying to move infantry into position to counter attack. I have pretty much shattered their communications and Infantry is probably about all they are capable of at this point and that is just not going to get it done. There are a lot of Chinese-Indian units now in WP territory, so I am not exactly sure what that is about either.
you're like a hot knife through butter...

edit: i've dealt w/ china and india in europe. actually, on the most recent turn of my personal game, india schlepped about 20 mech units to my german border near berlin.

I was playing as GB till the 1964. I've started III World War in 1961 (WP said give me 60 gold or...). I was checking the boxes with "Somebody declared war on somebody" for 20 minutes. The war lasted 4 turns. Then I was checking again boxes with "SB signed peace with SB". I was patient. But when in 1964 I declared war on Soviets and repeated everything that was before (including peace declaration - this time I have not agreed to sign it) i gave up. This scenario is impossible to play:( I really regret it, the Cold War is my "favourite" (if I can say something like that) historical time ever. The units and overall impact is IMPRESSIVE. But as I said before, it is impossible to play:(

Piru said:
I was playing as GB till the 1964. I've started III World War in 1961 (WP said give me 60 gold or...). I was checking the boxes with "Somebody declared war on somebody" for 20 minutes. The war lasted 4 turns. Then I was checking again boxes with "SB signed peace with SB". I was patient. But when in 1964 I declared war on Soviets and repeated everything that was before (including peace declaration - this time I have not agreed to sign it) i gave up. This scenario is impossible to play:( I really regret it, the Cold War is my "favourite" (if I can say something like that) historical time ever. The units and overall impact is IMPRESSIVE. But as I said before, it is impossible to play:(
you need to shut off all other programs on your PC to optimize its performance.

in general, yes, the checking of boxes sucks but on the average, i wait about 3-5 mins during war and 20-25 mins during peace. this is based on mid-game (1970s).

it's certainly not "impossible" to play. if you insist that it is then i'd suggest that you try MaxRiga's "microbiq" attached to the 1st post of the thread.

El Justo said:
you need to shut off all other programs on your PC to optimize its performance.

in general, yes, the checking of boxes sucks but on the average, i wait about 3-5 mins during war and 20-25 mins during peace. this is based on mid-game (1970s).

it's certainly not "impossible" to play. if you insist that it is then i'd suggest that you try MaxRiga's "microbiq" attached to the 1st post of the thread.

Maybe there is a way around - for example no embassis? Generally, the main problem lies in that the other nations are signing peace in such a hurry. And if only I would refuse to sign it, and in the next turn I attack the Commies, they will declare war on me, due to mutual prot. And they will again sign peace treaty after 4 turns. And the circle is closing. Am I wrong?

El Justo,

why don't you delete those war and peace pop-ups in the script file. that would decrease times drastically between turns. personally i play the multiplayer one with only 8 civs so it doesn't really matter to me.

Well I have found a rough, but very effective solution: I used the Save Game editor to remove the embassies. Now I have embassy only in WP. Its working fine:) There will be problem, however, with the Right of Passage agreements, but it's nothing, compared to "checkbox problem"

Blackbird_SR-71 said:
El Justo,

why don't you delete those war and peace pop-ups in the script file. that would decrease times drastically between turns. personally i play the multiplayer one with only 8 civs so it doesn't really matter to me.
Blackbird,

i'll look at it.

Piru said:
Well I have found a rough, but very effective solution: I used the Save Game editor to remove the embassies. Now I have embassy only in WP. Its working fine:) There will be problem, however, with the Right of Passage agreements, but it's nothing, compared to "checkbox problem"
very well. if it works for you then that is a good thing.

ya that sucks when you don't have DSL but my DSL for some reason is slow???? I am getting 26.8 Kb a second......whats up with that I signed up for 256Kbps and they ain't helpin me....I am thinkin about switching service providers if they don't help me soon

Crazy Eddy said:
My 50k modem will take 24 hours to do the download lol maybe later Ill do it :).
i am sorry about the size but i assure you that there is not a single file in the entire DL that isn't used. i had spent alot of time 'trimming the fat' on it.

Top Bottom