The Cold War Deluxe; 1950-1991

OK Folks:

I tried Israel at Demigod, More Aggressive Settings in 1.5 Regular, after my huge game bogged down in 1967. Incidentally, I am thinking El Justo may have some nice presents for all in a week or two.

Anyway, thought I would try Israel again. Last time I play-tested it I managed to expand it to 20 cities, but that was before some tweaking we did to make the other civ's playable ala 1.5.

So, things NOT to do:

1. DON'T early in the game attack Basrah with 7 Elite and Veteran infantry units and lose 6 of them and still not capture Basrah.

2. Whenever you get a chance to finish a wonder, like Rock'n'Roll, DON'T with 1 turn left to get Rock'n'Roll switch over to Computer Mainframe, and then lose 883 shields when you get beat to Rock'n'Roll.

3. DON'T have your workers build fortresses on the tile 2 tiles South-West-West (as opposed to South-South-West) of Basrah, expecting you will win the culture expansion wars and keep the tile.

4. DON'T fail 8 turns in a row to plant a spy in the Arab League in order to see their military abilities.

5. DON'T expect that the AI will allow you to ever finish a 2nd M-48 as it will continually sabotage production in the city where you are building it always with 1 or 2 turns left in the build.

6. DON'T use a Corps spun off by a successful Sherman tank attack to create an army of 3 Veteran infantry, and expect that army to be able to attack a city with any success.

7. DON'T underestimate the Arab League's abilities to create T-55's to continually pound your positions.

8. DON'T expect a fortified Elite (7HP) 17.18.1 Infantry unit, on a hill, in a barricaded fortress, to hold off two 7 HP 28.20.2 T-55's.

9. DON'T be surprised when you get very little help from your alllies, because they are busy snapping up China and fighting WP.

10.Once you can build M-48's, DON'T keep your economy at as close to a balanced budget as possible to maximize your tech spending, instead of using the money to rush M-48's instead of watching the production get sabotaged. (see point #5)

I would say that is a subset of the mistakes I have made in this game, and it is only 1964.

Going to restart now, and see if I can learn.

At the moment I could handle the attacks. Nothing too serious, but I know the Soviets were at war with the Chinese, so they had to use troops there however my defense is ready, so they must amass their troops. Until now nothing happened...
I am playing Monarch, what I just remarked by C3MT. I wanted to play a higher level than this time but must have forgot to switch.
The current situation (September 1958): I am building in my original cities units, while the other get improvements. I am building 2 Charles F Adams class DDG, 2.4 type XXI Uboats, 4.9 M 48, 2 M 4 Calliope and 2 F 104 a year.
My defense forces, as I forgot to mention, are: 9 FlaK, 22 M 113, 6 National Guard, 2 French, 1 British, 2 US, 3 Dutch and 26 WG infantry.
My Armour and artillery: 7 M 4 Sherman Calliope, 9 105 mm, 17 M 48, 1 corps with 3 Panther.
My Air force: 1 F 86 Sabre (relict of the HrMs Karel Doormann, didn´t know the planes used on it), defending now Amsterdam, 17 F 104
My Navy:
CVL Karel Doormann (with F 104)
CA Prinz Eugen
DDG Rommel, Mölders, Lütjens (CFA- class)
DD Z 1- T 12 (Fletcher class)
DE Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, Scheer, Brommy, Raule
1 TR
15 SS U 1- U 12, Hai, Hecht, Wilhelm Bauer (type XXI)

5 spies, 11 worker

Adler

It seems to be the Russian and Chinese think they had to discuss whose communism is better: They are at war. However also the Indians are at war with the Chinese and they lost several cities to the enemies, including Beijing!

Adler

Some things I've learned with the war against Argentina:

1- I must strengthen my navy. Although my forces were unquestionably superior on land, the Argentines made me have a rough time on the seas.

2- I need a decent air force. Although it's not as important as having a navy, since there are no more direct threats to my territory, being ready for everything is never too much.

3- I must never leave my workers unprotected.

By the way, I'm playing at Regent. I've never been a good player you see, so I decide to be humble in my first shot. I admit I could play this scenario at a much higher level.

Sounds like a rough game, I Batman! I've been thinking of trying Israel. I'll try to learn from your mistakes as well as my own. (And I'm thinking I WON'T play demigod.)

bkwrm79 said:
Sounds like a rough game, I Batman! I've been thinking of trying Israel. I'll try to learn from your mistakes as well as my own. (And I'm thinking I WON'T play demigod.)

Well bkwrm, I have to admit second time around has gone much better for me.
What I am finding that things change every time I play this.
This time I had no chance at Rock'n'Roll (US built the wonder even before I got the necessary tech.)

But after all the dust cleared , by 1957 I captured Baghdad and Basrah, mainly because of the SE Asians and the Iranians softening up the Arab League big time.

Right now, the Iranian Alliance and I are chasing the Indian invasion force out of Iran.

Much better game, and it is at the same settings as last time.

There is a good chance by 1970 I will leave the Arab League only with Egypt.

TCW 1.51 is here!

i've just no uploaded the latest regular size map version of TCW.

it contains the following fixes/adjustments:

- adjusted all woder flags accordingly so that all can now be built (ie Politburo, Cominform, Berlin Wall, etc)
- all autopro'd special force units are now 'invisible'
- Brazil: changed T55 mbt to M48 NATO
- Australia: allowed to build CF Adams DD
- added a few more defensive units to China/N Korea
- added Soviet airbase to Cuba (with nukes!)
- modded some terrain to enhance shield output
- fixed US airbase issue in Germany/France
- added "NATO Base - Azores" to US city count

Darn it El Justo... I was almost to 1960 in my game as Israel (on my laptop no less!). Now I have to decide whether or not to start over...

Haha, I'm finishing my game first...but by then v1.6 or better should be out. :p

My report: USA, demigod level, starting at Feb '61

At the moment, a fierce war is raging in Northern Africa, as the Arabs had succeeded in taking the Eastern-most three cities from me. The French had already taken Algiers, and the Turks have taken Zarzis. Now in Feb, the Turks take Tripoli! So much for my hopes of recapturing those three cities. It was impressive that the AI sent such aid though.

Next month, I watch as the Bears from Russia maul a British convoy near the African coast. Only one destroyer makes it back to home waters. :eek:

By May, advanced Jet Fighters have been researched. four F111 Aardvarks are rushed through the assembly lines to take part in the battle for Africa.

SE Asia managed to snag Pyongyang from the Soviets in June (with help from my Iowas) before Iberia signs peace with the WP, ending WW-I-forget-how-many-I've-had. The SU is still at war with China though. :mad:

The peace doesn't last long. Arabia declares war on me after refusing point-blank to leave the vicinity of Chai Lau in January of '62. WW-One-more-than-last-time soon ensues. Apparently, the WP is sick of its two-front wars, because it signs peace with China (finally!). The war only really opens in March, when the WP manages to take Pyongyang back from the Asians. Next month, the Asians countered and retook the city, but the Soviets re-countered and re-retook the city. :p

By May, I was ready for my first offensive move. A large force consisting of the first and second armored Corps supported by infantry fighting vehicles and a butt-load of dismounted infantry and Marines stormed the city of Cairo, taking medium lossed, mostly in exposed infantry divisions. This force immediatly wheeled on its right flank and marched up the nile to the city of Aswan, which was taken in August (about this time my first 'Varks came into service. They're almost as nice as the Buffers :goodjob: ). The Iberians also manage to capture Dakar from the Central Africans. The war is not good for everybody, however. The very month we capture Aswan, the Arabs stike back and take the city of Jerusalem from our trusty allies, the Irealites!

Soon after, the Arabs and SE Asia sign peace, ending the blood shed. And I had just given Isreal a 10,000 gold "loan" to regain their holy city... :cry: no chance of that now...

Or was there? I still had a very large force in Egypt, including both Armored Corps. I also had gained several tomcats by this point. Central Africa lay spread to the south of my armies...

After waiting out some small skirmish between Argentina and Brasil that turned into a half-a-world war, I made my move. In May a formal declaration is sent, and by the end of next month, N'Djamena is mine. Here my forces split: The armored formations head to the Gold and Ivory coasts to attempt the capture of these cities before the Brazilians can get there (they were very active in attempting to seize Dakar). The Infantry takes the more difficult route to Nairobi, and eventually to Dar es Salaam. Tanks would become bogged down in the jungle, but the infantry could tough it out.

I ended the session by bombing the snot out of Jerusalem in the hopes that the Isrealites can re-take the city. Unfortunately, I find that the Arabs go before the Isrealites, so the damage my bombers did was healed by the time they attacked. :(

A note about turn times: The lag is getting quite long now, something like ten minutes a turn. That is partially the reason why I'm starting so many wars; I want the unit count down. The game is still very playable, but it gets boring if I don't have a good book handy near the computer. ;)

Will this be the last regular update before the hunge map?

Also how do I add nukes/ICBM's/Chemical Wareheads to my version of the game?

I decided to restart the game on Demigod with my alterations (Prinz Eugen, Panther). Also Berlin Wall in Murmansk produces a Whiskey each turn as well. I deleted the ability to build M 4 Shermans. I have to wait until the M 48 is available.

Adler

nivekclough said:
Darn it El Justo... I was almost to 1960 in my game as Israel (on my laptop no less!). Now I have to decide whether or not to start over...
hey nivekclough.

there may be one change to the new biq as it now allows for the autopro' of the S13 commando units for the israelis.

psweetman1590 said:
Haha, I'm finishing my game first...but by then v1.6 or better should be out. :p

My report: USA, demigod level, starting at Feb '61

At the moment, a fierce war is raging in Northern Africa, as the Arabs had succeeded in taking the Eastern-most three cities from me. The French had already taken Algiers, and the Turks have taken Zarzis. Now in Feb, the Turks take Tripoli! So much for my hopes of recapturing those three cities. It was impressive that the AI sent such aid though.

Next month, I watch as the Bears from Russia maul a British convoy near the African coast. Only one destroyer makes it back to home waters. :eek:

By May, advanced Jet Fighters have been researched. four F111 Aardvarks are rushed through the assembly lines to take part in the battle for Africa.

SE Asia managed to snag Pyongyang from the Soviets in June (with help from my Iowas) before Iberia signs peace with the WP, ending WW-I-forget-how-many-I've-had. The SU is still at war with China though. :mad:

The peace doesn't last long. Arabia declares war on me after refusing point-blank to leave the vicinity of Chai Lau in January of '62. WW-One-more-than-last-time soon ensues. Apparently, the WP is sick of its two-front wars, because it signs peace with China (finally!). The war only really opens in March, when the WP manages to take Pyongyang back from the Asians. Next month, the Asians countered and retook the city, but the Soviets re-countered and re-retook the city. :p

By May, I was ready for my first offensive move. A large force consisting of the first and second armored Corps supported by infantry fighting vehicles and a butt-load of dismounted infantry and Marines stormed the city of Cairo, taking medium lossed, mostly in exposed infantry divisions. This force immediatly wheeled on its right flank and marched up the nile to the city of Aswan, which was taken in August (about this time my first 'Varks came into service. They're almost as nice as the Buffers :goodjob: ). The Iberians also manage to capture Dakar from the Central Africans. The war is not good for everybody, however. The very month we capture Aswan, the Arabs stike back and take the city of Jerusalem from our trusty allies, the Irealites!

Soon after, the Arabs and SE Asia sign peace, ending the blood shed. And I had just given Isreal a 10,000 gold "loan" to regain their holy city... :cry: no chance of that now...

Or was there? I still had a very large force in Egypt, including both Armored Corps. I also had gained several tomcats by this point. Central Africa lay spread to the south of my armies...

After waiting out some small skirmish between Argentina and Brasil that turned into a half-a-world war, I made my move. In May a formal declaration is sent, and by the end of next month, N'Djamena is mine. Here my forces split: The armored formations head to the Gold and Ivory coasts to attempt the capture of these cities before the Brazilians can get there (they were very active in attempting to seize Dakar). The Infantry takes the more difficult route to Nairobi, and eventually to Dar es Salaam. Tanks would become bogged down in the jungle, but the infantry could tough it out.

I ended the session by bombing the snot out of Jerusalem in the hopes that the Isrealites can re-take the city. Unfortunately, I find that the Arabs go before the Isrealites, so the damage my bombers did was healed by the time they attacked. :(

A note about turn times: The lag is getting quite long now, something like ten minutes a turn. That is partially the reason why I'm starting so many wars; I want the unit count down. The game is still very playable, but it gets boring if I don't have a good book handy near the computer. ;)
psweetman1590,

that's good to see an aggressive AI :goodjob:

it's also good to see the SE Asians recapturing lost ground.

yes! the aardvarks are very powerful!

i wish the AI would be smarter w/ how they spend their gift monies. :(

i've also seen an active AI Brazil in africa.

unfortunately, the turn times do grow some as you progress. however, this is a great improvement over what prior versions had been clocked at.

nice report!

silver 2039 said:
Will this be the last regular update before the hunge map?

Also how do I add nukes/ICBM's/Chemical Wareheads to my version of the game?
yes, this is the last update before the other 2 (50s & 60s versions) are on their way.

you'll have to look in the editor and see what resources and techs are required in order to build them. i know it's a combo of the 2 (tech & resource).

Adler17 said:
I had problems in my Germany game that I could not build ICBM plants although I had the recource. That is corrected?

Adler
this is no error.

West Germany never built nukes as they relied on the american missiles instead.

removing the shermans from the build que seems like a good idea since you inserted the panthers.

I am in June 1952. I am preparing my forces for war when suddenly the Soviets declare war on the US! With the exception of 3 Panther and 4 105 mm I don´t have any offensive forces. The navy consists of the CVL Karel Doormann and CA Prinz Eugen as well as 6 DE, Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, Hipper, Scheer, Brommy and Raule and 2 type XXI SS, Wilhelm Bauer and Hai. But now all my plans were nothing worth.
So I decide not to wait the attack, I was just ready with my defense line at the border, but attack myself. Dresden. With artillery and the 3 Panther I am able to take the town and airfield nearby but lost 4 infantry. A high price. Nevertheless it shows the worth: The Russian attack comes heavy. I sent M 3 and an infantry to defend Dresden: 4 attacking IS 3 were destroyed. 2 further damaged to red. One M 3 is elite. More than these 6 I could hardly have managed. My own loss: a M 3.
At the sea 2 Soviet subs were sunk and Wilhelm Bauer is elite. A Skory class DD was sent to the Fishes by Prinz Eugen and another slightly damaged by the fighter wing of HrMs Karel Doormann. The ship sunk a British sub but by attacking another it was sunk.

To be continued.

Adler

El Justo said:
this is no error.

West Germany never built nukes as they relied on the american missiles instead.

removing the shermans from the build que seems like a good idea since you inserted the panthers.

Then I also can´t build the Lunar landing and Apolo program?

Adler

TCW Huge~The Fifties v1.0

after several months of work it's finally here!

Turn limit: 120
VP conditions: accumulate 15000 VP pts by the scenario's end
Alliances: Arab League-Warsaw Pact-China/N Korea-Central Africa, all of the NATO civis and then some, North Vietnam, and North Africa

Hotspots: Indochina, Europe, and North Africa

the french are in a locked war with both the North Vietnamese and the North African positions. as such, the french have control of both Hanoi and Algiers. can you, as the french, pump some life into the post war colonial holdings?

the Iron Curtain is also lined with Soviet troops while the Americans have a commanding presence in West Germany. can you either prevent the Soviet takeover of Europe or smash the capitalist pigs and sieze control of all of Europe?

be advised that this map is really, really massive. all ranges on air craft and sea vessels have been adjusted accordingly. however, this "decade" version of TCW has been tested only a little bit and there may be some issues that may crop up but it's not anticipated. turn times are a bit longer on this map compared to the TCW regular map. however, it offers a whole new array of options for the civer and AI alike!

the VP locales are spread out around the map. the best plan is to restrict offensives to tiles that have VPs on them. remember, you have only 120 turns!

this version runs off of all of the orginal TCW folders so just plug it into your Scenarios folder of Conquests, click on Civ-Content, and voila!

enjoy!

El Justo

Attachments

• TCWFifties.zip
    240.4 KB · Views: 3,308
Top Bottom