1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Cold War "Nuclear Winter" PBEM

Discussion in 'Civ3 - PBEM Games' started by nivekclough, Sep 13, 2005.

1. nivekclough

nivekclough Working Like Crazy

This is a test run of the new Cold War MP v 1.51

The players are:
    1. Europe (Scipio Africanus a.k.a. "Anthropoid")
    2. Africa (El Justo)
    3. China (niveclough)
    4. Latin America (Klyden)
    5. UK (von Clausewitz)
    6. Warsaw Pact (Moff Jerjerrod)
    7. SEATO (Man O War)
    8. USA (I_Batman)

The standard house rules apply. No intentional raising and no tech stealing from allies. No combat first turn (let everyone move first).

For now, we have no eighth but I figured by the time the turn makes its way to the eighth player, we might have someone speak up, so why not just get it going. If no one speaks up by then, then either Man O War, VC or myself can play USA I suppose. I think having any AI in this scenario would really unbalance the game. True, the chance that it will sputter is greater with 8, but the difference in sputter-potential between 7 and 8 seems minimal.

Good Luck and Have fun Everyone!

The Grand Leader of Communist China

edit: Updated Playlist and Rules

2. El Justo

El Justo Deity

14 September update

we're nearing the final touches on the MP biq so i wanted to take a moment to advise every position of exactly what their infantry units do. you see, infantry units in TCW are the 'meat and potatoes' of your armed forces. they're easy and cheap to build and they offer decent stats and unique abilities (most do at least).

not listed are the 'unconnected' infantry units from Canada, UK, S Africa, Israel, Greece, Turkey, Scandinavia, Japan, etc, etc.

note that among the multiple infantry units for a few of the civis (Euros, ME-Africa, China-India, America Latino) that there is a general tier to the Attack (A) and Defense (D) values for all infantry units:

Infantry 1 - highest A & medium D
    Infantry 2 - medium A & medium D
    Infantry 3 - lowest A & highest D
    Infantry 4 - airdrop flag
    Infantry 5 - amphibious flag
    Infantry 6 - extra movement point
    Infantry 7 - detect invisible

1. Europe (Scipio Africanus a.k.a. "Anthropoid") - note that the "Bersaglieri Infantry" units (postwar & modern) have +2 mvmt. now, this will come in handy during the 1st era and a half where all other foot units have only +1 mvmt. the "Spanish Infantry - Postwar" unit has the amphibious flag and the "Modern" one has the "Detect Invisible" flag. The "Chasseurs Alpin" units (postwar & modern) have the "Airdrop" flag. the other euro infantry units retain their original stats and flags. the "Royal Dutch Marine" unit has the amphibious flag.

2. ME-Africa (El Justo) - there's the full range of flavor infantry units for this position. the "African Infantry", "North African Infantry", and the "Egyptian Infantry" units are all able to be built on continental africa. the Egyptian ones possess the highest A while the N Africans possess medium A/D, and the African one has low A and the highest D (for game play reasons only). the "Pakistani Infantry" has the highest A and med D while the "Arab Infantry" is low A and the highest D, and the "Iranian Infantry" has med A and med D. the last 3 can only be built in asia/middle east.

3. China-NK-NV-India-Yugo (niveclough) - this position can build 2 primary 1st generation infantry units: the "PLA Infantry" which has med A and the highest D while the "Indian Infantry" has the higher A and lower D (again, gameplay reason only). Autopro'd by the N Korean Barracks in P'yongyang is the "N Korean Infantry - Postwar" (every 10 turns). once the "Modern Military Org" tech is discovered, this position can build both the "N Korean Infantry - Modern" (highest A/lowest D)and the "NVA Infantry" (lowest A/highest D) units. lastly, the Yugo position, being completely seperated from the rest of the 'empire', can build the standard "Yugo Infantry" (postwar & modern) units. also, as an added bonus, the Serbian Barracks wonder in Belgrade cranks out a "Serbian Infantry" unit every 15 turns. the modern version of this unit can actually be built (high A/low D).

4. Latin America (Klyden) - the "Central American Infantry" (low A/med D) units can be built in the central american region of this position. the "Argentinian Infantry" (highest A/low D), "Brazilian Infantry" (low A/highest D), and the "Colombian Infantry" (med A/med D, amph flag) can all be built in S America only. lastly, this position can autopro' the "FARC Guerilla" which is sort of like a special ops unit. however, it possesses the "hidden nationality" flag so look out!

5. UK (von Clausewitz) - this is a cool civi to play with as they have 'regional' infantry units from the UK, Canada, Australia/NZ, and S Africa. all stats remain unchanged from the regular TCW. the UK cities can build the "Royal Marine" and the "British Airborne Inf" (just added! med A/med D, airdrop), too.

6. Warsaw Pact-Cuba (Moff Jerjerrod) - the 'Pact' can build only 2 infantry units: the "Soviet Infantry" and the "Cuban Infantry". however, there are a slew of autopro'd units like the "Polish Infantry", "VDV Airborne Infantry", "Soviet Naval Infantry", "Spetsnaz" (special forces), and the "Cuban Revolutionary". all of the aforementioned are able to be built after the "Modern Military Org" tech is discovered.

7. SEATO (Man O War) - this position is also a diversified position. the "SE Asian Infantry" unit can be built in the Myanmar/Thailand/Cambodia/S Vietnam corridor as well as Taiwan and the Phillipines. the "S Korean Infantry" unit is now able to be built on the Korean peninsula only (both the postwar & modern variants). the South Korean Barracks wonder is still in effect as it autopro's a SK Inf every 10 turns. the "Japanese Infantry" and the "Indonesian Infantry" are also buildable in their respective locales. lastly, the ARVN Barracks cranks out an "ARVN Infantry" unit every 15 turns.

8. USA (I_Batman) - the standard pallette for them. infantry, airborne, marine, and special ops.

good luck all!

3. nivekclough

I'm interested in trying these new changes! I'll do a testrun in the morning! (if it is availible) Thanks for your hard work El_Justo!

4. El Justo

El Justo Deity

5. nivekclough

Awesome, I've got to go get dinner and do my other turns, then I'll play a test run of this!

6. El Justo

El Justo Deity

7. Anthropoid

Anthropoid Grognard fantome

Yo, I'm here!

The first turn has been sent on to El Justo earlier today.

How about everyone PM El Justo or me so we can distribute everyone's emails to everyone else?

El Justo has mine, Klyden's and von Clausewitz (I just sent it to him), and I'm betting I_Batman too.

8. nivekclough

I think El Justo has mine, but I'll pm him again, and he can send out an email.

9. Klyden

Klyden Emperor

I don't have Von Clausewitz's e-mail at this point and will need it to send him his turn. Nivekclough, do you have mine?

Looking forward to this. Lets have some fun!!

10. von_Clausewitz

von_Clausewitz Prince

email sent to Klyden via PM

If the Communist leader of the Warsaw Pact, Moff Jerjerrod, could send thiers to me that would be great.

11. nivekclough

Asked Klyden for Email. I sent El Justo my email yesterday (via PM). Eagerly await my first turn!

12. El Justo

El Justo Deity

13. nivekclough

Got the turn!

I will play this in a couple hours along with my Saving Rome turn. For now I have an essay to write! *Nose back to grindstone*

edit: save corrupted, emailed El Justo to request resend

14. Anthropoid

Anthropoid Grognard fantome

I now have I_Batman's email as well as El Justo, and VC, but still no sign of Moff Jerjerrod, niveclough or Man O War.

15. nivekclough

Anthropoid,
    I'd send it to you, but it appears you email address isn't properly linked to your CivFanatics name. (I've sent it that way 4 times). I have also PMed it to you in the past, but it appears that doesn't work for you either?

Its nivek_clough@yahoo.com (as I posted in the scenario thread...)

edit: its nivek_clough, you just can't really see the _

edit 2: save is now working :confused:

16. nivekclough

Play Report:
    BUGS! I can build all of my infantry anywhere. This makes the PLA infantry kinda stink (same stats as the Yugo infantry, but costs like 50% more...).

I assumed we'd just make a house rule only to build infantry in its respective country and played that way.

The Chinese would love to trade with the whole world, however only Europe and WP are availible. Sent the Warsaw Pact an offer of incense. What could you send back?

The Chinese would also like to stress the fact that we will stay neutral in world affairs. Only farming and trading for us! :D

Sent to Klyden

Nivekclough

17. Klyden

Klyden Emperor

Turn on to the UK.

18. I_batman

I_batman Emperor

I think if bugs are showing up in turn 1, then I would like to reiterate my suggestion to wait a day or two before playing the MP,and have each of the 8 players play a civ they are not playing in the MP, for as many turns as they can in those 1-2 days, and look for bugs.
    This could save some aggravation a month from now.

Oh, and Nivekclough, playing China as a neutral civ could be a dangerous proposition. As a leading member of the civilized world, I would like to suggest there are many advantages to joining this great fraternity.
    You might want to think twice about staying neutral with the russian bear so close to your borders.

19. von_Clausewitz

von_Clausewitz Prince

Well, the unit bugs in turn 1 are not really bugs. Its because these 'isolated' positions are connected by land and will only become truely isolated in the event of war (in the Yugoslavian situation it would need to be China at war with both Warsaw and ME-Africa).

A different problem is the European Capitol being in Ankarra. The editor has a palace in both Ankarra and Paris. The game will randomly select a city if two or more cities are given a small or great wonder. The rest of the original palace location are fine (imagine if the Warsaw player had Havana as its capitol), I think Ankarra may have been overlooked and its only by bad luck that the 50/50 chance went the way that wasn't intended.

I don't know if the Ankarra situation is cause for a restart, but if the European player asked for one I wouldn't disagree.

Another problem is that I do not have Moff Jerjerrod's email to send him the save. I have sent a PM to him asking for it. I'll chalk it up to weekend inactivity, but if someone else can send it to me it would help move the game along.

20. Moff Jerjerrod

Moff Jerjerrod Deity

I'm pretty sure I emailed you my email last week but let me check. Watch you PM inbox.

Moff