The Collapse of American Industry

America is no longer a manufacturing economy, it is transitioning to a service and tech based economy.

Not collapsing but other countries are developing their markets and now have a stake in International Trade (India, Brazil, China, Russia)

JerichoHill said:
Umm

The economist here says " Well, that's pretty much not true"

We don't WANT to be an industry based economy, the next evolution of economies is in service. Likely the next after that will be bio/nano. We want to be on the cusp of each new economy type.

The American industry isn't collapsing. That's the wrong choice of a very negatively charged word. Economies constantly change. The economy that doesn't is the one that suffers.

:goodjob: Right on the money. Alas, too often, for political reasons, the necessary evolution of economies is impeded and halted, only worsening the situation.
By that I refer to protectionnism, tariffs, subsidies and the likes.

Cleric said:
It doesnt matter anyway the entire industrial complex will have to reform once nanomolecular manufacturing comes into play.

So, again, I will remind people that they should have spare cash to modernise their educations. We're moving to a world where people will need to upgrade our skillset more often than once a life.

El_Machinae said:
So, again, I will remind people that they should have spare cash to modernise their educations. We're moving to a world where people will need to upgrade our skillset more often than once a life.

Why can't it be part of your job training?

Collapsing? Who the hell comes up with such rubbish. This is laughable honestly.

Just because a few large industries such as the U.S steel industry and car industry arent doing well (But not near collapsing i might add) doesnt mean we are on the verge of collapse... Besides we have plenty of other booming industries... :shake:

Narz said:
No worries, once oil becomes scarce enough we'll learn how to make things again. :)

If it becomes scarce for us it will for everyone. And honestly oil isnt running out anytime soon.

With all the talk about hydrogen fuel cells and ethonel and other fuels i dont see this is an issue.

Narz said:
No worries, once oil becomes scarce enough we'll learn how to make things again. :)
Yep! Faster, better, cheaper, and more using new energy resources and improved manufacturing techniques!

Masquerouge said:
Why can't it be part of your job training?

There's no way your work can plan your educational path better than yourself. In addition, your work is only interested in giving you skills they think they can use (which often can be quite a bit); Kathryn is a good example, if she thinks that nursing is a good idea, she's not going to get that training through a Real Estate company. A failing industry has nothing to offer.

Xanikk999 said:
If it becomes scarce for us it will for everyone. And honestly oil isnt running out anytime soon.

With all the talk about hydrogen fuel cells and ethonel and other fuels i dont see this is an issue.

I don't think anybody knows exactly when we will run out of oil, there is only guesses. Sure there are other sources of energy, but they would take years to get set up on a global basis. So we need to get those alternatives set up and ready to go before we run out of oil and have a few years of a 'blackout' (nobody able to use their cars).

Bamspeedy said:
I don't think anybody knows exactly when we will run out of oil, there is only guesses. Sure there are other sources of energy, but they would take years to get set up on a global basis. So we need to get those alternatives set up and ready to go before we run out of oil and have a few years of a 'blackout' (nobody able to use their cars).

You know this wouldnt happen suddenly. Oil is being drilled all the time this would definitly be gradual.

Well, I know it wouldn't be overnight. How much of a warning do you think we will have? A few months or a few years? A few months isn't long enough of a warning and the prices will skyrocket to the point of making oil impractical before we actually run out.

Xanikk999 said:
Talking about these things doesn't necessarily make them viable solutions.

Narz said:

Well its happeneing also. I read somewhere about a prototype hydrogen powered car beileve it or not, made by GM.

Narz said:
Indeed, that's why people are building and testing them.

It's really water that people should be worried about. A continually-dropping water-table means that the current use of that water is not sustainable.

El_Machinae said:
It's really water that people should be worried about. A continually-dropping water-table means that the current use of that water is not sustainable.
Yeah, I won't be in SoCal much longer. I'm thinking (inland) Oregon might be to settle down. Lot more rain up there. :)

I wouldn't want to be in Arizona or New Mexico in the decades ahead that's for sure.

El_Machinae said:
There's no way your work can plan your educational path better than yourself. In addition, your work is only interested in giving you skills they think they can use (which often can be quite a bit); Kathryn is a good example, if she thinks that nursing is a good idea, she's not going to get that training through a Real Estate company. A failing industry has nothing to offer.

Exactly so. And a pretty penny it's going to cost, too.

Now, my husband, he is going back to the computer industry, or rather he is getting certified in home technology/automation. He can hook up your laptop computer to a home camera with surveillance so you can watch those mean babysitters abuse your children while you are at work!

Which is of course, the next step in the 'service' industry: spying on you, learning about you, customizing advertising for you, analyzing your purchases, following your purchases (ie your cute little nano-radio-frequency-devices) ... seems like a stable career change to me! What say you?

Whilst a service economy creates far more wealth than an industrial one, it does have one major drawback. A person can't succeed in it unless they have a pretty high level of education.

Since the dawn of civilisation (no -not by Sid), the uneducated could earn a living, firstly by agriculture and in the past 150 years, in a factory. All of these jobs are disappearing from the service economies; there is very little well paid work for the unqualified. This is what is causing the discontent with globalisation. Any it will be magnified when we advance through to the bio/nano economies.

I'm laughing with my 3 degrees and 2 decades of experience in the bio area but others are not.

Top Bottom