The Community Deity Game #9 - Brazil

Thanks for posting this map, I really enjoyed a strong start with Brazil, usually their starting place is... not good)

Achivements:
A: 4 pts for Globe, Uffizi, Louvre and Broadway. I also had Oracle, Hanging Gardens, Djenne Mosque, Leaning Tower, Eiffel, SoL and CN Tower.
C: 5 pts. I think I was closer to 10 of GWs, GAs and GMs each... Had arts funding the whole game, plus hanging gardens (= garden) and leaning tower.
Total 9 pts

Spoiler :
Screens before the winning:

My empire (the last GM is heading for a concert tour in the Roman Empire)

SPs:

Religion (didn't spread much as I didn't want my neighbours more mad at me than they already were. Seriously, I spent hundreds per turn to keep them at war):

Tourism! Looks very pretty, if you ask me) I've lost the Games, although everybody was at war, but the carnival and faith-bought musicians were enough.

Winning screen:

This one loads on my Mac (and should have map packs disabled). YMMV.

Attachments

• Brazil T0.Civ5Save
    862.5 KB · Views: 111
A. Build* as many as you can of the following World Wonders: Sistine Chapel, Globe Theatre, Uffizi, Louvre, & Broadway
*hard-build or GE; conquering does not count
d) 4 = 4 points (missed Globe Theatre by ~5 turns when I was building LToP which was better wonder anyway. In my game Globe went on turn 139 to my eastern tradition neighbor who built most other wonders!)
Sistine: 129
Uffizi: 147 with GE from Piza
Louvre: 187
Broadway: 207
Also built LToP, Porcelain Tower, Eiffel Tower, Big Ben, Cristo Redemptor for RP, CN Tower, Sydney Opera

B. Spread your religion! Points based on # of cities following your (self-founded) religion
c) most popular religion = 4 points
Most popular with 26 cities, next 2 religions had 23 and 13. It helps when my western neighbor had many cities and no religion which was very easy to convert. My eastern city Sao Paulo was a religion battleground for my 2 eastern neighbors and when they ran out of GPr, I started to push my religion east.

C. Produce, through any means, the following number of Great Writers/Artists/Musicians:
d) at least 6 each = 5 points
8 GA, 6 GW, 7 GM total.
No GM was used for concert tour since I didn't want the game to end too early. One was in position the same turn as winning so it was unnecessary anyway.

D. Enjoy 100+ turns of Carnival = 3 points
107 turns total. Every Carnival except first was after ideology with Universal Suffrage. 6 GA bulbed for carnival + 3 natural golden ages.

Game was typical peaceful 4 city tradition game. NE AI tried to attack me but his units can't take my walled city, settled for peace and no war after that. Unable to win WF or IG due to insufficient production. AI was teching slow which allowed a earlier win, but I didn't push for Internet as quickly as other games due to wanting to get 100 turns of carnival. I don't feel like replaying to get max possible points.

I also delayed the game to get enough GWAM for achievement. My faith generation isn't that high without any faith buildings in my religion. There was also a lack of religious CS. I was forced to take faith from WW which only comes later. I also had to use some faith to convert cities instead of buying GWAM. I passed Arts funding early to help with this achievement too. Lack of garden in capital sucks. HG was built in my game before I even unlocked the tech.

Spoiler :

Loss to western neighbor by SV on turn 337. My tourism is almost 800tpt, but it was just too late. I completed NVC, unlocked Internet (ratty finisher), and bulbed GA for 40+ turns of Carnival. Did not come close really.

Tech and SP were slow all game. I got distracted by the shiny UU the military CS were donating since they (eventually) made good Pracinha. I should have focussed on the cultural CS (like I usually do).

Also, I missed almost all the achievement wonders, despite trying to beeline them.

Loss to western neighbor by SV on turn 337.
So I tried again from scratch, and was doing much better. SIP this time, stole settlers from the neighbor AI, built settlers at size 3 instead of 4, 5 cities instead of 4, and paid better attention to cultural CS. Teching was much improved, but I only got to Internet ~20 turns sooner and an AI proposed IG too early to much help me (I did win, but it was pre-Internet and pre-NVC).

The friendly AI launched on turn 323.

so your Internet was around 230? As Brazil that really should be more than enough, all Musicians you generate during a super powered Carnival should be crazy strong

so your Internet was around 230?
No, not at all. About T300 in my first game, T280 in my second. If I could get Internet T250, like I did in the Ethiopia CDG, I would be all set.

EDIT: The other thing I choose poorly was Musicians Guild right after Broadway. I did theme it and SOH. But those four GMu would have been better as late game bulbs.

I am really struggling with this map. I just cannot hit Internet fast enough. I will probably try again from scratch, settling so all my cities are on the inner sea. Not being able to run but one cargo ship to the cap is a problem (but not one that has stopped others from winning).

I dealt with the hyper expand [snip] by bribing him to war constantly. It took half my income to do it, but the other option was to lose. Eventually I made him declare war on everyone on the map and that destroyed his relations and I avoided any further threat of DOW. The side effect of course is to slow down the other countries on the map.
Late game, T303, I have just paid him 138 gpt to give me OB and DOW every other civ. I just completed NVC and Musicians Guild, GA on deck, and IG coming up for vote. T304 he DOWs me too! 800tpt (w/o IG) but few hundreds of turns before I will become influential over him. (He build GFW.)

I am really struggling with this map. I just cannot hit Internet fast enough. I will probably try again from scratch, settling so all my cities are on the inner sea. Not being able to run but one cargo ship to the cap is a problem (but not one that has stopped others from winning).

Late game, T303, I have just paid him 138 gpt to give me OB and DOW every other civ. I just completed NVC and Musicians Guild, GA on deck, and IG coming up for vote. T304 he DOWs me too! 800tpt (w/o IG) but few hundreds of turns before I will become influential over him. (He build GFW.)

Well there's your problem. You can't let AI build great firewall. if you're completing NVC turn 300 you are 50 turns too slow. I had mine done around turn 250.

Well there's your problem. You can't let AI build great firewall. if you're completing NVC turn 300 you are 50 turns too slow. I had mine done around turn 250.

My guess is that the difference has to do with tech path. Are you beelining straight to Internet or are you picking up Airports first? That's really the big difference in finishing time for CV in my humble experience, but I'm certainly no expert at CV.

Are you beelining straight to Internet or are you picking up Airports first?
Airports after Internet and I cannot get there by T250. Well, I did in the Ethiopia CDG, but I have not been able to replicate that. I pick up railroads after plastics, should I be skipping that too? Yes, I am bulbing GS 8 turns after Labs online, and using ratty finisher for Internet before turning to pick up Airports.

You can't let AI build great firewall.
Yeah that is a killer that I don't have figured out. I aim for that right after Airports -- but now you are talking about the full tree -- so if an AI beelines GFW while the player is at the top after Internet, how does the player realistically stop them?

CV @339
Spoiler :
I went with 5 cities to block Cesar from reaching other civ and kept him under my religion
Most of the civ went honor
Got only Broadway
Third in religion
and more than 100 turn of carnaval
I'm still learning about mechanics ofCV as I was still only 50 % over Maria when i won
For science I try to beeline to the Hubble to slow the science victory and get me first on tech,makes me loose Christo and Sidney but got me first on internet ,great firewall and pentagon

Attachments

• Brazil.jpg
    Brazil.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 177
I am happy to say that I think I will be posting a CV this evening. After making peace with the Western neighbor around T350, I was closer to influence than I though. Once again, it came down to RNG and if the AI gives me enough time (or not). I did bribe the friendly Eastern AI into more wars, and refused RAs with her, but also she went with Autocracy this time, so that might have been the bigger thing slowing down her science.

Also, I only just noticed that Diplomats boost tourism by 25%. I have been passing on that all this time...

Diplomats only works on different ideology, and they only partially counter the negative modifier of differing ideology.

Airports after Internet and I cannot get there by T250. Well, I did in the Ethiopia CDG, but I have not been able to replicate that. I pick up railroads after plastics, should I be skipping that too? Yes, I am bulbing GS 8 turns after Labs online, and using ratty finisher for Internet before turning to pick up Airports.

Yeah that is a killer that I don't have figured out. I aim for that right after Airports -- but now you are talking about the full tree -- so if an AI beelines GFW while the player is at the top after Internet, how does the player realistically stop them?

You should have won before GFW, or have enough great musicians to bomb whoever just built the GFW. GFW does nothing against great musicians.

get Internet before Airports, because NVC and Internet is double the benefit of just Airports.
Railroad is completely useless.

Top Bottom