1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Conscientious Empire: A Peaceful Builder Challenge

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by D.N. Pacem, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Flak509

Flak509 Chieftain

Its funny how so many have little moral codex's that they play by. I personally find myself planting new forrest in squares that are in excess hehe. I currently play a MOD that makes it possible for jungle to be mined and become 1f2s2t and cant be cleared til Engineering. Marsh can also be mined and become 1f3s1t and cant be cleared. I like it that the map resembles what a world could have looked like. Assimilation has also been turned off for all but Despotism to simulate ancient peoples being lost in history but after its ment to simulate Ethnics remembering their ancestry. I feel that it gives the game a certain something to se Greeks 500 years after conquering them. Like the Chechens have never forgot that thay are not Russians as there is very little real Assimilation in the world. It also forces Fascists to be more cruel and not just sit back and let time take care of it. Communism also has Forced Resettlement and Xenofobic to simulate that most communism covs have been sigle party-states aswell as have undertaken some removal of unwanted elements.
    The MOD also has all bonus resources added to resources and given an expirement value. If often lost like cattle and tobacco, its annoying but then 4000 years of farming the same herd is not so realistic.

I like thise little things that adds a certain "realizme" to the game

2. D.N. Pacem

D.N. Pacem Chieftain

When I first proposed this idea, it was my opinion that modifying the game would be cheating. The many good mod ideas suggested in this thread have convinced me otherwise.

However, I've decided to wait until I get a demigod win before I start changing things around.

3. timerover51

timerover51 Chieftain

With respect to using tobacco as a luxury resource, D. N., that is simply a matter of changing its resource type setting from "bonus" to "luxury", then the computer picks it up as a luxury resource. However, in the city view, you do not get a small icon indicating that it is part of your resource list. It is there, with no icon.

4. Flak509

Flak509 Chieftain

Personally i love to look at the rules of a game and try to make them better, its sorta a ting i do, i get new games then start to look for flaws and improvements.
    On a boring army exercise once, somebody had brought his Axis & Allies game along...but with no map that was left at home, so i took the Risk map and made up the rules for a world conquest using the Risk map and the colonial powers.
    To make the game better as no game is perfect its not cheating its evolution lol:cool:

5. D.N. Pacem

D.N. Pacem Chieftain

I agree, and I do see some things in this game I want to experiment with. But as chess and Risk are pretty much the only other war strategy games I've played, I feel that getting a strong foundation in the standard gameplay is a good idea before I start trying to change things.

It'd be cool if you could set it so that, once tobacco is added to your list of luxuries, you start occasionally losing population to disease.

(Well, I think it would be cool. :))

6. Optional

Optional Chieftain

I believe you can only give terrain types the disease giving property.

Timerover, I'm not sure why Tobacco doesn't come up as a luxury icon when you change it to a luxury, but I assume the game has only 8 slots for luxuries. I don't think you can have 9 luxuries that actually all function as luxuries.

7. Flak509

Flak509 Chieftain

It will change as a luxury but the icon wont change, but if you go to dipolamcy it will pop up in the luxury list. I have a game i DL'd once with something like 60 luxuries/resources/bonus tiles, there is not limit.

8. Flak509

Flak509 Chieftain

Its ofcz best to know the game before you edit it.

Sadly its only terrain tiles that can give decease not resources.
    lol just how strong tobacco are u suggesting that the population smoke to have an epedemic

9. timerover51

timerover51 Chieftain

Hmm, I have been playing board and miniature wargames since 1970, and Risk and Chess long before that. Plus doing game design since the mid 80s, so tampering with rules and games is second nature to me. Drives my son nuts. However, having resources that cut both ways would be fun, cancer with tobacco, obesity with sugar, angry citizens with ivory, vegetarian protests over cattle, etc. Could be a lot of fun. Imagine having to deal with civil unrest over your nice new coal plant, or nuclear plant.

10. D.N. Pacem

D.N. Pacem Chieftain

Yes, it'd be great to see the game evolve more along civilization management lines.

Instead of coal plants themselves causing unhappiness, I think it would make more sense to have unhappiness tied to pollution -- clean it up quickly, no problem; leave it sitting around and unhappiness builds up.

Owning slaves could cause unhappiness, especially in the industrial and modern ages. And slaves could escape or revolt -- the chances tied to slave numbers (percentage of population) and distance from the slaves' home civilization. If you set a slave to clearing a forest on his former country's border, you'll have to put a guard on him or he'll disappear into the woods.

Civ 5 maybe?

11. timerover51

timerover51 Chieftain

Hmm, you could set the power plants to cause unhappy citizens, but something like what you propose for pollution would require changing the source code. The temptation to crack that keeps going up, so it is your call as to whether you keep encouraging the tempation. I really like the idea of the slave revolts, as those did occur, the most famous being the Spartacus revolt against Rome and the Haitian slave revolt. It would also drive some of the guys nuts on the forum who like to use slave labor a lot, because it does not cost them any upkeep. Just see a revolt by a couple of hundred of their workers, pillaging improvements, triggering massive unrest in cities, wreaking havoc with their carefully laid plans. It would be marvelous. Hmm, more temptation to crack source code. Should not tempt myself so much either.

12. Aabraxan

Aabraxan Mid-level Micromanager

I use slave labor extensively, but even I think that escaping or revolting slaves is a great idea. I've often thought that it would be pretty cool if there was a chance of military units defecting while in enemy territory. I enjoy the random events that are possible in most of my favorite games, even when they hurt my empire.

13. Optional

Optional Chieftain

May I join the queue here?

14. timerover51

timerover51 Chieftain

Gentlemen and ladies. if this keeps up, I might yield to temptation with respect to the source code.

15. Rodent

Rodent Carnage

I would like-

1) The ability to distribute shields among different building projects. It is plain Unrealistic that a city can only build 1 thing at a time

2) The Ability to Buy Mercenaries, allowing gold rich but shield poor Civilizations to field a large military

16. timerover51

timerover51 Chieftain

D. N. Pacem, you might want to take a look at the following War Academy article, as it probably would be useful in determining how to best deal with the AI. It is for Play the World, but I suspect that most of it still applies.

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3/strategy/ai_attitude.php

Rodent, you can already do the Mercenary thing by using your gold to cash-rush military units. Look for the Hurry Production button next to the unit production icon button. It is not really cheap, but then Mercenaries were not cheap, and you do have the benefit that these will not mutiny, as often did happen with Mercs.

As for distributing shields, that would require some changes to the source code, and not small ones either, as is would also require a new and more detailed city display to cover the production of more than one unit. The problem with Civilization is that the city is the production facility and not the individual buildings as you have in say, Rise of Nations. You have to have the appropriate building to produce veteran units, but the city produces the units. I just would like to have the city produce more than one unit per turn, if there is sufficient shields to produce more than one unit, or if you have sufficient shields, to produce more than one building per turn.

17. Rodent

Rodent Carnage

I already know the Cash-rush Method.

I am talking about REAL Mercs. They should be powerful having, say an extra HP and extra attack and defense, For a Price

18. Snarkhunter

Snarkhunter Chieftain

Actually, require slaves be freed once you get to the industrial/modern age. Not sure how that would work in Civ terms, although the obvious is start having to pay unit support for them. Hmm, second obvious is to also give them same worker speed as natives, I guess. In effect: make them natives. But I assume that means changing the source code.

If one did, perhaps tie this to certain techs: democracy or replaceable parts or something. . . .

kk

19. timerover51

timerover51 Chieftain

That would take a major rewrite of the source code. They did that in Age of Empires III, but it meant adding a hiring hall, plus all of the added units. Also, real mercs were not the most reliable individuals in the world. You might want to do some reading on them.

20. Snarkhunter

Snarkhunter Chieftain

Actually. . . if we're going that route, I'd want condottiere: in effect, a hired MGL with the concomitant army-making ability (though limited to a 3 unit army, probably--maybe only 2 units, & obsoleted by, say, mil trad). You could give it a flip risk, as with cities, so that occasionally it would defect to your enemies.

kk