The Conscientious Empire: A Peaceful Builder Challenge

Nothing could be further from the truth. You employed rudeness and hyperbole. He didn't.

The manner in which you voice your opinion matters.

Nothing could be further from the truth, are you sure about that? Exaggerate or embellish much?

Please explain where I was rude & delve into my use of hyperbole. Maybe you should start a new thread to do this so Doug doesn't get any more upset. :D

You embellished by saying "It's funny that you mention oil, because misguided individuals like the one who started this thread are the reason we're paying $4 a gallon gas." This implies Pacem as misguided. He darn well knows whales won't run out in civ III, so you've emellished here. You've also embellished by suggesting that people like Pacem tell us why we pay $4 a gallon for gasoline. The causal factors at work for that simply don't work as all that simple.

You exaggerated by your use of the word "communist." I don't think Pacem has expressed an economic or governmental preference. He also has not, as far as I can see, expressed a left-wing preference. One CAN find many conservatives and libertarians who consider natives as having the same rights as colonizers (they disaprove of what Europeans did to American Indians and Australian Aboriginies), they don't want whales and elephants hunted to near extinction, they want war as a last resort, they don't approve slavery (check Abraham Lincoln), and they don't want starvation or ethnic cleansing. They still want a (relatively) free-market economy, and/or strongly support civil liberties, and/or want a small federal government.

Maybe if you didn't dismiss people as tools so hastily and cavalierly death machine you might actually learn something someday.

Please explain where I was rude & delve into my use of hyperbole.

"misguided" "communist" "left wing crap" "spoon fed"

If it isn't self-evident to you that those expressions, as used in your post, are rude and hyperbolic, then you have a very different sense of decorum than I do. To each his own, I guess.

You embellished by saying "It's funny that you mention oil, because misguided individuals like the one who started this thread are the reason we're paying $4 a gallon gas." This implies Pacem as misguided. He darn well knows whales won't run out in civ III, so you've emellished here. You've also embellished by suggesting that people like Pacem tell us why we pay $4 a gallon for gasoline. The causal factors at work for that simply don't work as all that simple.

Maybe if you didn't dismiss people as tools so hastily and cavalierly death machine you might actually learn something someday.

First, it is the environmentalists who have opposed any new drilling or building of refineries in this country. I think Pacem fits into this catagory. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he was just goofing off. Maybe not.

Second, you know nothing about what I have done or achieved so far in my relatively young life, so your last statement would imply that you have sunk to the level at which you seem to think I reside.

"misguided" "communist" "left wing crap" "spoon fed"
If it isn't self-evident to you that those expressions, as used in your post, are rude and hyperbolic, then you have a very different sense of decorum than I do. To each his own, I guess.

Dude, you need to lighten up. I hope you don't have such thin skin in real life. Somehow I feel compelled to break this down for you.

1. misguided - sorry, it amazes me that somebody would take offense at that
2. communist - it is my opinion that the modern evironmentalist movement is nothing more than Communism in disguise. I say this because it is goverment control over buisness is achieved under the guise of protection of the environment.
3. left wing crap - well, most of what comes out of the left is crap via words and deeds while the right wing's crap pile is mostly just deeds
4. spoon fed - you can hardly plug into any news source that doesn't spoon feed the consumer an agenda that they are wishing to push

Finally, yes I realize it's only my opinion. Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive. :crazyeye:

Dear sir,

You are an idiot.

I hope you don't find this rude though.

No problem. It takes one to know one. :) I certainly find this less objectionable than some of the remarks made by speech Nazis (hi doug) who not only feel the need to get on their soap box and dictate what should be said, but which thread it shoujld be posted in.

Carry on.

Placement of what gets said works as relevant. Freedom of speech doesn't apply in a classroom or everywhere, but as a general principle meaning that we have to have a certain venue to express opinions. You do have that within the civfanatics forum, but within a thread the opinions and ideas of the person starting the thread deserve respect. Death_machine has exaggerated yet again with this "Speech Nazi" comment this time creating a strawman. Also, I didn't talk about your acheivements. I talked about learning something. It works as possible to acheive plenty in sports without learning all that much, for example.

Placement of what gets said works as relevant. Freedom of speech doesn't apply in a classroom or everywhere, but as a general principle meaning that we have to have a certain venue to express opinions. You do have that within the civfanatics forum, but within a thread the opinions and ideas of the person starting the thread deserve respect. Death_machine has exaggerated yet again with this "Speech Nazi" comment this time creating a strawman. Also, I didn't talk about your acheivements. I talked about learning something. It works as possible to acheive plenty in sports without learning all that much, for example.

Douglas, your cranium is inserted so far up your rectum that you need a glass plate installed across your abdoman to see out. You're the rocket scientist who complained that I posted what I did in this thread when the thread itself resides in the strategy & tip page. If you're interested in learning something I suggest you sign up for a class at your local junior college & take a Critical Thinking course.

Thanks for calling & be sure to get your entire head in front of the shotgun. :p
Moderator Action: Trolling & flaming - warned.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

You're absolutely hilarious death_machine. Not only did your inital comment NOT relate to strategies and tips, while Pacem's did since it gave a strategy and tips for a "conscientious empire", but you don't know your opponent. Not only do I have a philosophy degree, but also I've taken a whole entire course in critical thinking from an author of a critical thinking text, as well as having known quite a few people heavily involved in a rather immersive critical thinking program where I went to school. They once held a book discussion where I *believe* the director of the program afterwards told them in an e-mail that they let me dominate the conversation too much.

Wow, getting a bit rough around here, better get my flak jacket on. I think most of this most recent conversation belongs in the off-topic forum as it has strayed away from how to better play Civ 3 and got into politics and current events. Apparently our moderators figure that everyone here is a grown-up and can handle verbal fisticuffs, so are keeping hands off for now.

No, you're not the only one. It's funny that you mention oil, because misguided individuals like the one who started this thread are the reason we're paying $4 a gallon gas.

I came in here looking for some builder tips I might not know & I wind up with some communist changing the game around with some kind of real world values he holds. If I want some left wing crap spoon fed to me then I will turn on the nightly news.

If I want to make the game harder I'll go up a level, plenty of challenge there.

First, I suspect that D. N. is a She, not a He. Women do tend to have a different view of things than men. If you do not understand that, spend some time watching girls and guys play a competitive board wargame sometime. It would be quite enlightening. Note, the girls normally win.

$4 a gallon gas = I have no problems with offshore drilling or drilling in the Arctic Wildlife Refuge as long as proper precautions are taken, and I spent my Army time in Alaska in the 1970s figuring out how to guard the Alaska Pipeline from, among other groups, the environmental radicals who wished to blow it up.

Communist = My preferred government in the game is a modified Monarchy, and I have not and will not play communist. I have my own business and am a staunch supporter of the free enterprise system, plus having voted Republican in every Presidential election since 1972.

Left wing = I spent the 1991 Gulf War working for the US Marine Corps as a consultant, and nearly went back on active duty with them even though having been previously medically retired from the US Army. If you served in the Marines in the First Gulf War, I may have helped you stay alive. Since 9/11, I have been doing consultant work for the Defense Intelligence Agency, and if not for a 18 month security clearance backlog, would be working for them full time and not posting to this board. I will not go into detail what I do, but if you have a target that you wish to destroy, I will tell you precisely how to do so, and your various options ranging from the Jeweler's Hammer to crack a walnut to using a piledriver to crack the walnut. I lean more to the piledriver approach, but sometimes a Jeweler's hammer is to be preferred.

Presently, I am teaching a summer course in history to a group of junior high and high school students using various board war and strategy games, including Axis and Allies, Britannia, History of the World, and War: Age of Imperialism. Somehow, that does not strike people as being "left wing". I have been accused of being a Warmonger, which I am most definitely not. Simply someone who would like to fight in the most optimum manner for achieving long term goals, and who does feel that sometimes not fighting is a far worse option that going to war.

I have enjoyed the discussion on the thread, while disagreeing with some of D.N.'s views, particularly the ones with respect to religion. I do tend to be reluctant to chop forests in the game, mainly because of some of my background, but in real life have no trouble with cutting old growth timber under proper controls, and also am aware that there is more acreage now in forests than when the country was settled.

As for changing the game, I modify it drastically in many respects, which drives some of the other forum member nuts. Since I assist game companies in developing games, as well as design them myself, I view a game as a starting point, not a finished product.

D.N, How about Collecting all the parts and Posting a Single Post with it all?

@Death Machine

This is a Democracy and you have a right to say what you want. But try not to use words like ones mentioned before? Your Thought was not wrong but you worded it in a way that can sound offensive to most.

Doug and Death should stop this OT stuff

Pardon me If my Post was not Coherent, I am tired.

It's all good dude. No worries. The title made sense, my mind was just going down a different path. What I like about forums is that we can all express what we want. :cool:

No problem. It takes one to know one. :) I certainly find this less objectionable than some of the remarks made by speech Nazis (hi doug) who not only feel the need to get on their soap box and dictate what should be said, but which thread it shoujld be posted in.

Carry on.
Moderator Action: Then you may consider me a nazi too. I won't limit what you say or where you say it, provided its on-topic and within the forum rules. But your posts here are most certainly not on-topic, and flaming is not tolerated.

@ALL:

That little flame-war can end. Stick to the topic. In future, please report posts.

Apparently our moderators figure that everyone here is a grown-up and can handle verbal fisticuffs, so are keeping hands off for now.

I guess not.

First, I suspect that D. N. is a She, not a He. Women do tend to have a different view of things than men. If you do not understand that, spend some time watching girls and guys play a competitive board wargame sometime. It would be quite enlightening. Note, the girls normally win.

I have enjoyed the discussion on the thread, while disagreeing with some of D.N.'s views, particularly the ones with respect to religion.
:lol:I have a wife & 2 daughters, I know exactly what you're talking about. :lol:

I was enjoying the discussion as well, at least until I realized how easily some people get upset.

Maybe this just isn't the forum for me.

...spend some time watching girls and guys play a competitive board wargame sometime. It would be quite enlightening. Note, the girls normally win.

My wife routinely kicks me around at the gaming table, I'm sorry to say. :(

I don't know when I'll try D.N.'s variant, but at the least, it is interesting. I've certainly played many versions of the game in which I had hundreds of slaves, in which I repeatedly went to war just because I wanted to, and in which I broke my word on a regular basis. I've played Always War, OCC, 5CC, NoW, and with any number of other restrictions.

This variant just seems to me like a fun way to try something new and keep the game fresh.

<OT>
Maybe this just isn't the forum for me.

You might enjoy TalkRational, RantsnRaves or IIDB. Start with that bit about environmentalism equaling communism -- that should get the ball rolling. Just do your research first and be prepared to cite your Fox News and talk radio sources.

Better yet, if you're a creationist, try their evolution forums.

And thanks to all who came to my defense. Not to worry, though; I have a very thick skin.

First, I suspect that D. N. is a She, not a He.

Sorry to disillusion you, but no. However, playing this way does force you to curtail your testosterone a bit.

</OT>

How about Collecting all the parts and Posting a Single Post with it all?

My intention is to keep the OP updated with any major rule changes, but so far there has only been one. I'm afraid trying to include all the minutiae would make it too long, but you've given me an idea - I'll add a few links in the OP to strategy discussions elsewhere in the thread.

It'll have to wait a little while though, as my free time is currently taken up with building a Web site for my wife.

ETA: I found my new avatar on Google images (no, it's not me).

ETA2: I added a few links to the OP. I also changed my avatar again. That hippie was a bit too much. :)

Top Bottom