The Constitutionality of Taxing Bonuses

All this is now moot. Obama practically said he'd veto this bill on 60 minutes last night, plus all the bonuses have been given back, pretty much, now

Mission Accomplished?

Why would he veto it? He seemed pretty outraged at the evil bonuses to evil people that manufactured this crisis because they like to see poor people suffer. Has he changed his opinion since his Leno appearance?

(Seriously, Berzerker, there are tons of terms of art that you completely misuse in your response to Balkin's post. "Due Process," "taking," "real property," &c. Honestly, you should take his argument seriously and go and try to learn some Con Law.)

Emory University School of Law has 8.5 hrs of lectures on iTunes devoted to explaining the law to the community, broken down into sections. Constitutional law is about 1.5 hrs, all on its own.

The Santa Clara University School of Law has more than one entire law course online on iTunes. This includes 13 lectures of 80 minutes each specifically on constitutional law (it's best to sort by author's name with the SCU course list)

Both of these resources are available for free on iTunes. A person, such as Berzerker could take an entire law course if they were inclined. And given how much people like to argue about the law, the most people who're educated on the topic, the better.

Emory University School of Law has 8.5 hrs of lectures on iTunes devoted to explaining the law to the community, broken down into sections. Constitutional law is about 1.5 hrs, all on its own.

The Santa Clara University School of Law has more than one entire law course online on iTunes. This includes 13 lectures of 80 minutes each specifically on constitutional law (it's best to sort by author's name with the SCU course list)

Both of these resources are available for free on iTunes. A person, such as Berzerker could take an entire law course if they were inclined. And given how much people like to argue about the law, the most people who're educated on the topic, the better.

That's awesome, El Mac! I'll check those out, too.

Cleo

Why would he veto it? He seemed pretty outraged at the evil bonuses to evil people that manufactured this crisis because they like to see poor people suffer. Has he changed his opinion since his Leno appearance?

Being outraged is not the same thing as wanting to stop this particular violation.

(And yes, they're probably evil, as CEOs are statistically likely to be sociopaths.)

see 60 Minutes. I think I answered your question in what you quoted.

Being outraged is not the same thing as wanting to stop this particular violation.

(And yes, they're probably evil, as CEOs are statistically likely to be sociopaths.)

Except in Leno he did not want to stop anything.

As for your second remark, while CEOs may well be more likely than average to be sociopaths, I very much doubt that they are likely sociopaths. This seems completely ridiculous.

You can basically take any course from MIT through OpenCourseware

MIT really started it, but lots and lots of universities are now doing the same thing. For free. I often check out the iTunes store now, and there are often NEW courses made available that weren't there before. For free.

I don't think MIT has a law school, but we now have access to a course which would cost thousands of dollars to get accredited in. Everyone wins, except the people who really SHOULD be augmenting their education, but are watching American Idol instead. They lose, because they're getting left behind.

You can walk into most university campuses and sit in any lecture you want. Or you can go to the library and read about it from university textbooks. That we can now listen to it on an MP3 player isn't revolutionary, but more ways of getting information is a always good thing.

Well, I can't read a textbook while walking to the grocery store or driving a car, so it increases the amount of time available. As well, some people learn better in an audio format. I think it's more revolutionary than young 'uns realise, Mr.I-listen-to-lectures-on-the-train ;)

New Scientist: 'iTunes university' better than the real thing

Top Bottom