The Dawn of Man Mod Thread

Brucha

King
It is 9,500 BC, and the Stone Age is coming to an end. The way of life of the hunter-gatherer is also coming to a close. Mankind is taking its first steps towards the first civilizations on Earth. Yet, many perils exist in the world on Mankind's path to becoming the dominant species on the planet. Can you lead your hunter-gatherer tribe to glory or will you and your people be lost to the darkness of the past?

I am working on a new mod for myself and a friend. the reason for it is really so that I can play it, though perhaps someone out there might enjoy it. The road taken in designing this mod was after searching the available scenarios for a completed scenario suited to playing early man in the Neolithic period, before the rise of civilizations. I found three scenarios involving this:

• March of the Neanderthals
    Paleolithic
    Great Lost Civilizations

Each of these scenarios had some of what I wanted but not completely - combined, they had much of what I wanted in a single scenario, but still missed some key issues I was looking for. Thus the reason for this mod.

In general, the following is what I wanted in the scenario:

1. New civs, not ones designed after Classical one - ie. Greece or Egypt. I wanted civs based after Neolithic cultures such as the Vinca or Natufians. I also wanted city names to not reflect the more modern Classical world - ie. names like Ujvar instead of say Athens. Likewise for Leader names and leaderheads - no Alexander or Cleopatra leaderheads. Also, the text in the Diplomacy Text to reflect the time. So, a more primitive feel all around.

2. I wanted the scenario to begin very similar to the scenario, Paleolithic, with no techs and no ability to perform any Worker tasks from the beginning. Each civ would start the game settling their first settlement and leaving the hunter-gatherer lifestyle behind for the first time.

3. I wanted the game to progress through the Neolithic Period and end with the Iron Age just before the onset of the rise of Hellenism and the rise of Rome.

To make the game more interesting, and to fit the time period, I decided on the following for the mod:

1. All Wonders in the game would be based on Neolithic-era things, like Stonehenge, Moai or Angkor Wat.

2. Population, City Growth and Civ Expansion would be greatly curtailed. Since the game would end before wide-spread settlement of the Earth, I wanted to slow down expansion, so that, even at the end of a game, there would still be wide swaths of land outside of city borders. Settlements would be slowed in growth as well. Settlers will cost more to make (both in shields and in Population cost) to make the founding of new cities a much slower rate. Cities would grow at a slower rate as well. Settlements would have a lower maximum size limit as well. Settlements would be: villages (max pop of 3), towns (max pop of 6) and cities (max pop of 12).

3. I want to add some things that, historically, would not be accurate but I think add enjoyment to the game. Since no civ will have beginning techs, and all Worker actions will have to be unlocked by techs, I thought of a starting resource based on megafauna, such as woolly mammoths or rhinos, etc. These resources would add 1 Food, but would have a zero percent Appearance Ratio and a high Disappearance Probability. Tech for future agrilcutural resources, such as Goat and Cattle Domestication would allow Goat and Cattle Domestication with a Food Value of 1 and 2, but with a higher percent Appearance Ratio and a lower Disappearance Probability. This would reflect the belief that megafauna's demise might have been added by overhunting by early man. As an addition, to represent the dangers of hunting such things as mammoths, I would have to include a new form of Terrain, that would be tied to these megafauna resources, so that they - the terrain and resource - causes Disease. The megafauna resources would be placed only on megafauna Terrain tiles. Basically, you clould get an extra Food for having it within the borders of a village or town, but the disease factor would add some danger to it as well. Since these megafauna resources would be placed on the starting map (and can't be generated after the start as new sources of the resource), this will work just fine.

4. The Tech Tree is divided into four eras: Hunter-Gatherers, Dawn of Settlements, Age of Metals, and Dawn of Civilization. Progression through a tech tree would be slow, and the game would last 600 turns, with each turn representing 15 years in the game. Thus, the game begins in 9,0000 BC and ends in 500 BC. The names of the eras are still being decided on so these are temporary at best. I want to combine the various techs from all three scenarios, plus others so that the tech eras have a good deal to research.

5. Revamp the the entire unit line-up along with unit graphics. There is alot of great early man units in the library, such as the Tribal packs, for new units. There would be a gradual increase of newer combat units, but civs would begin with pathetically weak ones, such as a Hunter or Warrior unit. Cavalry would come relatively late in the game. Likewise for naval units. Some civs would get canoes and the like, then fishing boats or such, but no ships that can safely cross, say the Atlantic. I believe that this will create a situation of civs from far away, and especially on islands, may never have contact with others, or at least not until late in the game.

6. I want to also include a second .biq map to add in neanderthals, as in march of the Neanderthals, just because I think that would be a heck of alot of fun.

So, there you have it. I would love some suggestions as to further additons/corrections that I should include. I just wish I could find a mammoth resource icon....

How big will the map be?
Remember that the American continent wasn't settled until much later. It should be a separate spin-off on its own.

Make it 4 and 9 for city sizes, and set an unbuildable improvement as a requirement to grow into a metropolis.

You can use this image (downsized, of course) for a mammoth resource:

Original thread here: Mammoth.

Wild animals (taking the place of barbarians, since the savages will be your own people) should be a hazard, water nearly impassable, you could have island civilizations spring up, that have the secret arts of canoe-making from the start, perhaps 0.1.1 dinghies with 1 transport capacity and unable to sail out of sight of land.

Bone, wood, Copper, etc. should be resources.

How big will the map be?
Remember that the American continent wasn't settled until much later. It should be a separate spin-off on its own.

Make it 4 and 9 for city sizes, and set an unbuildable improvement as a requirement to grow into a metropolis.

You can use this image (downsized, of course) for a mammoth resource:

Wild animals (taking the place of barbarians, since the savages will be your own people) should be a hazard, water nearly impassable, you could have island civilizations spring up, that have the secret arts of canoe-making from the start, perhaps 0.1.1 dinghies with 1 transport capacity and unable to sail out of sight of land.

Bone, wood, Copper, etc. should be resources.

For a map, I am torn between using El Mencey's 362 world map and a great 264 map of Eurasia. I like the world map because I could then include civs in the Americas, but the part for Europe the Middle East is quite small. Contact with other civs will happen really fast on it. Using the eurasia map have alot of space for civs to grow with no contact, but africa is not full on there, plus no australia and americas.

Are the city sizes I choose too small?

I found that image and was planning on using it :)

The idea of wild animals for barbarians is what I was thinking of myself as are the resources you mentioned. Certainly resources such as goats, cattle, copper, iron, bronze tiedl to various techs.

I thought I would make all but coastal tiles impassible for ships, but I agree on the dingies idea.

Anohter idea that came up (from nuclearplantlif) was to add a new terrain, Tar Pits. They would add food shields and gold, but also be disease-causing. You would get food from trapped animals, shields from bones etc, and gold from teeth, hides, furs, etc from trapped animals. The disease would be the effects of villagers occasionally falling into them. Tar pits would have to have no chance of appearing after the start of the game of course.

I'd use this Eurasian map if I were you, but it's too small IMO.

For tar pits, check Rhye's terrain, there's a special "underground" terrain and resource set.
You can copy the plains or marshes or any other darkened terrain and then paste it onto some unused LM terrain.

Since trade'd be difficult, most buildings should have the "Required Goods must be within City Radius" flag checked.

I'd use this Eurasian map if I were you, but it's too small IMO.

For tar pits, check Rhye's terrain, there's a special "underground" terrain and resource set.
You can copy the plains or marshes or any other darkened terrain and then paste it onto some unused LM terrain.

I like the area that map covers but its too small for what I want - again its the concept of having enough space between the civs. I suck at map-making or else I would make a 362 map of eurasia to include all of africa, europe and the far east as well as part of the pacific.

Since trade'd be difficult, most buildings should have the "Required Goods must be within City Radius" flag checked.

That is an excellent idea! No colonies. Especially for wonders.

Actually, you would not need to make the sea and ocean impassible for ships, just do not include any wonders that would allow safe sea and ocean voyages. That would allow for the chance of the odd canoe/raft to manage to safely get to a new area, and then essentially be cut off from further help because there is no reliable way to get from there to the origin. I say rafts, as you have the example of Kon Tiki as to what could be done with a raft.

Sounds good, but surely this timeframe is far too late for Neanderthals (unless you set the second version of the mod further back).

I wonder what effect making settlers so expensive will have on the AI. Remember that if there's any spare land on the map the AI will try to build settlers and send them there. It's possible that they may become too obsessed with this with these rules. But you can try and see what happens.

Sounds good, but surely this timeframe is far too late for Neanderthals (unless you set the second version of the mod further back).

I wonder what effect making settlers so expensive will have on the AI. Remember that if there's any spare land on the map the AI will try to build settlers and send them there. It's possible that they may become too obsessed with this with these rules. But you can try and see what happens.

Right now, I am running a test trial with the settler costing 4 citizens. Running it in debug mode on my Dell laptop, as fast as the AI town gets to 5 citizens, it is popping out a settler, and those settled towns are doing the same thing. I have not boosted the shield cost yet, but it looks like it will take a major boost in shields to slow the AI down when it comes to generating settlers. Simply increasing the population cost is definitely NOT the answer.

One possibility that you might want to consider is some form of Small Wonder that would auto-produce a settler every 10 to 20 turns or so, and not have them possible to build in every city. Either that or a building that would do the same thing that requires a rare resource within the city radius to be built. Only problem with that is that it would make island civilizations really hard to do.

What I'm worried about is not so much that the AI won't be able to produce enough settlers, as that the AI will be so busy devoting its time to making them that it won't be making anything else. Which could hamper it in the long run.

What I'm worried about is not so much that the AI won't be able to produce enough settlers, as that the AI will be so busy devoting its time to making them that it won't be making anything else. Which could hamper it in the long run.

That is a bit of what I am seeing in the current test trial, as least to start with. I needed to correct some problems with it, but plan on running it for a while. Would you like me to start another thread about some of my results as I gather them?

Even if your Settlers cost 4 pop., A.I. tends to start building them as soon as their cities have 3 pop. Then, the construction is stuck until they reach 5 pop., if ever. At least, it seemed like it to me a few ages ago.

I love the idea of this mod.

In regards to "Great Lost Civilizations": have you considered that this includes "antedeluvian" (pre-flood) times, and that has the Atlantean Civ as a prime example. A theory (Ryan-Pitman) says that the Baltic emptied suddenly into the Med. around 5600 BC.

Actually, you would not need to make the sea and ocean impassible for ships, just do not include any wonders that would allow safe sea and ocean voyages. That would allow for the chance of the odd canoe/raft to manage to safely get to a new area, and then essentially be cut off from further help because there is no reliable way to get from there to the origin. I say rafts, as you have the example of Kon Tiki as to what could be done with a raft.

Very good idea - that would work great!

Right now, I am running a test trial with the settler costing 4 citizens. Running it in debug mode on my Dell laptop, as fast as the AI town gets to 5 citizens, it is popping out a settler, and those settled towns are doing the same thing. I have not boosted the shield cost yet, but it looks like it will take a major boost in shields to slow the AI down when it comes to generating settlers. Simply increasing the population cost is definitely NOT the answer.

One possibility that you might want to consider is some form of Small Wonder that would auto-produce a settler every 10 to 20 turns or so, and not have them possible to build in every city. Either that or a building that would do the same thing that requires a rare resource within the city radius to be built. Only problem with that is that it would make island civilizations really hard to do.

It would also make the settling of new cities a more linear path, of a new city every 10-20 turns, instead of a more sporatic rate. I am also testing it in debug mode. So far, with a pop cost of 4 and shield cost of 50, the ai is still getting hung up in production waiting for enough pop in the city to produce a settler. It will be more important what the ai does after say 100 or 200 turns. Thanks for doing this test!

Even if your Settlers cost 4 pop., A.I. tends to start building them as soon as their cities have 3 pop. Then, the construction is stuck until they reach 5 pop., if ever. At least, it seemed like it to me a few ages ago.

I love the idea of this mod.

That seems to be true, at least for now - as I mentioned above, it depends on what happens with ai after 200 turns. Glad you like the idea for the mod. I could certianly use some help in the mod - especially in writing the civliopedia and text files.

In regards to "Great Lost Civilizations": have you considered that this includes "antedeluvian" (pre-flood) times, and that has the Atlantean Civ as a prime example. A theory (Ryan-Pitman) says that the Baltic emptied suddenly into the Med. around 5600 BC.

That could be included maybe in the sub-mod that includes the neanderthals.

As far as the situation concerning settlers - it is a pivotal thing for the mod to curb wide-spread settlements covering the entire map. In a typical civ3 game, the map will be covered with cities at some point, wher I am trying to recreate the scattered civs of the time period. If the increased pop and sdield cost does not work, perhaps it can be done in another way:

Have a settler unit buildable at the start. then include a later tech that makes the settler obsolete. Then include a later tech to allow the building of a settler once again. Rinse, dry and repeat through all the eras. The techs for this could be tied to historical events to give some flavor. I think this might take care of the ai build problem if the tests show that the ai is too stupid to stop building settlers normally.

I also thought of decreasing cultural values so that borders don't expand rapidly or at least at a slower rate. There would also be lower cultural values on buildings as well.

I think I found a way around the settler issue - it seems that the AI will attempt to continually build settlers no matter what, and will stall its build queue trying. So, I began re-thinking the issue by going back to the basic reason for wanting to slow settler production:

1. I don't want the whole world covered by cities and more wide areas of wilderness.
2. I also want the civs to be more isolated.

The only way to do this is what timerover51 suggested : settler-producing wonders.

I first thought, "How many cities would I want as an average at the end of the game." I decided on ten cities per civ - this would only be cities built by settlers, not captured cities or cities made by goody hut settlers. In a 600-turn game, that would mean that a single city would be built every 60 turns. There are two ways to go about this:

1. have begining wonders that produces a settler every 60 turns. However, that would mean that the first settler would not be produced until turn 60 of the game.

2. Have each civ begin with a settler-producing wonder that builds a settler in x-amount of turns, but then becomes obsolete by a new tech. The basics would be that you would be able to produce one or two settlers before the wonder became obsolete. Then, add the ability to build a new wonder in a later tech that repeats the above and then goes obsolete. Granted, there would have to be choke-points created on the tech tree so that once a wonder is built, the very next tech that is researched will have to be the one that makes the wonder obsolete. I think it would be easier for this to work if the wonders are very cheap to make, so that the AI will readily build them when they become available.

By carefully creating tech tree choke-points (to force the AI to research a specific tech to make the wonder obsolete right after building the wonder) and careful control of the rate that the wonders produce settlers, you can then manage the amount of settlers (and thus cities) that would be in the game.

About the settlers, you can have them be capale only of settling certain areas.
One way would be to build different types of settlers for each civ, so that some would only settle on mountains (even so, their troops and workers could go beyond that)

Also, many rivers, lakes, lagoons, etc. could be either real water tiles, so that they'd be impassable except with boats, maybe lagoons should be unbuldable but would allow colonies so that some resources could be acquired; you could also place some LM impassable terrain (for wheels) in strategic places so that the settlers -wheeled- couldn't move into, and therefore settle, those places.

Mountain barriers should be very important. It's a pity that the makers of civ 3 just put in the "impassable" and "impassable for wheels" flags, instead of just putting in a tab that says which squares the unit can movw into.:(

About the settlers, you can have them be capale only of settling certain areas.
One way would be to build different types of settlers for each civ, so that some would only settle on mountains (even so, their troops and workers could go beyond that)

Also, many rivers, lakes, lagoons, etc. could be either real water tiles, so that they'd be impassable except with boats, maybe lagoons should be unbuldable but would allow colonies so that some resources could be acquired; you could also place some LM impassable terrain (for wheels) in strategic places so that the settlers -wheeled- couldn't move into, and therefore settle, those places.

Mountain barriers should be very important. It's a pity that the makers of civ 3 just put in the "impassable" and "impassable for wheels" flags, instead of just putting in a tab that says which squares the unit can movw into.:(

I defintely will make mountains impassable, but imapssable rivers is an interesting idea. However, there would have to be some mountain ranges with mountain passes, but certainly no ability to settle a city in, say, the Himalayas.

You can use LM terrain for that. You'd have mountain barriers and suddenly you find a mountain village settled by some AI civ and/ or barbarians. Remember that you can have passable terrain that doesn't allow cities on it as well. You can just make it unsettlable. Or use the old "wheeled settler" trick, so that you can fight everywhere but not build cities except near rivers. Perhaps you could have most Settlers move only on floodplains and grasslands, except for mountain civs. So you could fight wars, colonies, outposts and roads would be almost as important as cities, and fortresses could take a lot to build so they'd be really important, especially when you barricade and make it impassable.

Top Bottom