The decline and fall of the Roman Empire (a GMR G&K game)

Islandia

King
The history of Rome is one rife with warfare and conquest. From the sacking of Troy by the Greek City states of Sparta and Argos (and many others), Aeneas fled the destruction and found succor in Carthage before leaving Dido to fulfill his greater fate as founder of the future Roman Empire. The early Roman Republic faced many perils as it first defeated the local Latin tribes and united the Italian peninsula before facing the fearsome Gauls and Celts to expand the northern borders.

Rome then conquered the colonies of the various Greek City states and consolidated power before sacking Carthage and after becoming the Roman Empire defeating Cleopatra and the Egyptian pharaohs descended from the Greeks. The Empire went into decline and was invaded by the Germanic tribes of the north which then split Rome into the Western Roman Empire and the Eastern Roman Empire (Byzantine) which faced the threats of the Huns before finally succumbing to the invasion of the Ottomans.

I have always been interested in the fall of the mighty Roman empire and wish to recreate a Civilization game themed on this.

It will be an 8 player game with the following civs:
Rome,
Greece,
Carthage,
The Celts,
The Huns,
Byzantium,
Germany,
The Ottomans

Europe Map script (to see how it plays of course!)
Quick Speed
Raging barbarians
Domination is the only victory condition

Special rules:

1. No Research agreements - no one trusts each other enough to share research as backstabbing and treachery is the order of the day.
2. Pax Romanum - Rome's prestige makes her enemies fear to face her in open battle, only one civilization at at time may declare war on Rome (this does not apply to civs that the Romans declare war upon). Conversely, the Roman senate knows its weaknesses and will always accept peace offers from anyone declaring war after 10 turns have passed.
3. Victory conditions - Rome must conquer the capitols of all the other civilizations or they must all surrender.
Any other civilization must take and hold Rome for 25 turns while also retaining possession of its own Capitol (and thus becoming Roman).

All diplomacy is allowed beyond the above rules. There may well be a case where you need to help other civs weaken Rome but not enough for them to take the capitol in order for you then to take out that civ and have the ability to declare war on Rome itself.

To sign up - please agree to take at least one turn a day. You may select any civ as they are all open. If you want to play Rome, please note your previous civ experience as it will be a very brutal game for the Romans most likely. In the absence of anyone wanting to play the Romans I will take them.

I would like to start this next week. Any questions - ask in this thread!

I want to play Rome :king:

I wouldnt mind joining. Someone as far away from Tab is probably safe. Byzantines perhaps?

I wouldnt mind joining. Someone as far away from Tab is probably safe. Byzantines perhaps?

There are no set start locations in the Europe script and it does not create an exact replica of Europe so the civilizations (other than start bias) do not particularly have a place they will start (i.e. far away from Tab). Also in order to win you must take out Tab :p

There are no set start locations in the Europe script and it does not create an exact replica of Europe so the civilizations (other than start bias) do not particularly have a place they will start (i.e. far away from Tab). Also in order to win you must take out Tab :p

I see. Still interested though.

Survive Legion rush = Happy Camper. Staying away from Tab until I get enough meat shields to shove in front of him is a great strategy in my eyes!

Well, seem ill play the corsairs then! Im in as ottomans!

Cool idea. You know this is one of the new scenarios in G&K? It may be MP ready?

Have fun, looks like I'm too late to get in on th is action. :)

There is a scenario, Fall of Rome but we cant use it in multiplayer :(

That's a shame. I remember the Rise of Rome scenario in civ 3 was one of my favourites.

Yes. Unless a friendly, competent modder add a hotseat mode to the scenarios, we have to settle into regular games.

Yes. Unless a friendly, competent modder add a hotseat mode to the scenarios, we have to settle into regular games.

It's interesting that you mentioned this as Brian and I are currently exploring a way to allow you to play "single-player" games with other people via GMR. It will require a little more work for the host to setup the game, some fancy save file magic on our end, and you'll have to remember to load the save file from the single-player/mod menu, but we think it will work :)

It's interesting that you mentioned this as Brian and I are currently exploring a way to allow you to play "single-player" games with other people via GMR. It will require a little more work for the host to setup the game, some fancy save file magic on our end, and you'll have to remember to load the save file from the single-player/mod menu, but we think it will work :)

Hmmn, I don't know how much magic you have in you, but if there were anyway to convert hotseat and regular MP saves to each other, that would be fabulous! :D shifting back and forth between the two modes would be really useful.

That might actually be possible Onan! We've successfully converted single player games into HotSeat games, turning AI players into human players in the process, all by modifying the right bits in the save file.

Speaking of that Islandia, if you would like to make this game the actual Fall of Rome scenario from CiV we could make that happen for you ;)

Top Bottom