The Deity Challenge Line-up #19 - The Aztecs

consentient

Domination!
This was a fortnightly event, but the schedule has changed and new games will now be posted every 10 days.

- All the games in this series are set to Deity difficulty.

- User civilizations, maps, and opponents change with each challenge, but the game speed is always set to Standard and the starting era is always Ancient.

- We try for a variety of starts

- This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions.

- The spreadsheet of all challenge finishers to date has been updated and is available here.

- If you complete 5 challenges, your name will be added to the 'Top Finishers' list.

* We welcome all comments and write-ups and invite you to post screenshots of key moments and the moment of victory (if you are successful), but please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, make a comment about which civs are in the game, or about wonders, or locations of ancient ruins, etc.

* In short, if it’s information you can only know by playing the game, don’t spoil it for others by divulging this information in the open. Thank you for your co-operation

- - -

DCL Game #19

You: The Aztecs
Map Type:
Spoiler :
Pangaea

Starting Location in Attachment.

Bonus Competition: The first player to guess the theme for the AI civs wins an exciting prize: they get to choose the map for DCL #21!

Settings: Quick combat (turn it back on if you would like)

Everything else is set to default.

Game Version - 1.0.3.276

Downloadable Content: – G&K, BNW, Conquest of the New World Deluxe, Genghis Khan's Mongolia, Harold Bluetooth's Denmark, Isabella’s Sapin and Pachacuti's Incan Empire, Kamehameha's Polynesian Empire, Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon, Sejong The Great's Korea, Wonders of the Ancient World. The map packs are intentionally excluded.

- - -

Schedule

Game #1 20/06/14 The Zulu Pangaea
Game #2 04/07/14 America Continents
Game #3 18/07/14 Persia Continents
Game #4 01/08/14 Sweden Pangaea
Game #5 15/08/14 The Inca Pangaea
Game #6 29/08/14 Byzantium Continents
Game #7 12/09/14 Ethiopia Pangaea
Game #8 26/09/14 Mongolia Pangaea
Game #9 10/10/14 Rome Small Continents
Game #10 24/10/14 Polynesia Terra
Game #11 07/11/14 Morocco Pangaea
Game #12 21/11/14 The Maya Continents
Game #13 05/12/14 Indonesia Continents
Game #14 19/12/14 The Netherlands Small Continents
Game #15 19/12/14 Poland Pangaea
Game #16 02/01/15 China Pangaea
Game #17 16/01/15 Germany Pangaea
Game #18 23/01/15 Babylon OCC Continents
Game #19 02/02/15 The Aztecs
Spoiler :
Pangaea

- - -

Game #20 12/02/15 ??? Valentine's Day Special

- - -

I hope you all enjoy the map!

- - -

If you have any comments, questions or would like to submit a map for consideration for future challenges, please send an email to: deitychallenge@outlook.com

Please note that submitted maps MUST have map packs disabled, so those who do not have them can enjoy the challenge. To do this, you MUST go into the DLC option from the Main Menu and untick the options ‘Scrambled Nations’, ‘Explorers Map Pack’ and ‘Scrambled Continents’. You will need to do this EVERY TIME you start a new game, or just simply delete the map packs. Thanks.

Jags = no need for culture ruins...
Floating Gardens = Free ToA and much more

I love this civ! (and they are actually quite bad for warmongering, ironically, since the jungle start bias is very bad for early rushes. On the other hand jungle is perfect for jags in defensive wars, and with UB that greatly enhances growth, they are much more suited as a peaceful civ that goes tall; with some occasional defensive wars early on if necessary)

Only thing bad about this map is the jungle, but I'm sure I can walk out... (hopefully)

311 science victory, 4 city peaceful.

I was a little too slow getting city 2 settled. It threw everything off.
Spoiler :
I wanted the Nanjing spot. Almost rage quit. Had to suffer with skinny borders all game long because of limited culture.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

This is gonna be fun, I have never played Aztecs before so I have no clue what's the gameplan :D

Jags = no need for culture ruins...
Floating Gardens = Free ToA and much more

I love this civ! (and they are actually quite bad for warmongering, ironically, since the jungle start bias is very bad for early rushes. On the other hand jungle is perfect for jags in defensive wars, and with UB that greatly enhances growth, they are much more suited as a peaceful civ that goes tall; with some occasional defensive wars early on if necessary)

Only thing bad about this map is the jungle, but I'm sure I can walk out... (hopefully)

KB, I pretty much agree except I find Aztecs are great for early war if needed to secure the good expo spots. So, I always open by making more troops. You can make jags and archers and they will keep the spots open. You might get a spear upgrade. After you are settled, then you make the floating gardens.

This is gonna be fun, I have never played Aztecs before so I have no clue what's the gameplan :D
One of my favorites to play. The Floating Gardens are awesome. Culture for every dude killed and I believe that number is doubled on Barbs if you open Honor.

If you go full Honor with Monty and take God of War pantheon you earn culture, faith and gold for every kill, provided its close to a city you just captured!! :p

If you go full Honor with Monty and take God of War pantheon you earn culture, faith and gold for every kill, provided its close to a city you just captured!! :p

and the city needs your religion to earn the faith correct?
Back in GnK i used to do this and have a Prophet marching along with my troops. Good for 4 cities.
Good for striping away goddess of protection as well, which can make some cities fortresses depending on other details.

I had no idea Monty was such a turtle, I always knew he was a nice guy deep inside. There's some lake tiles around and ho boy that's just perfect for the Aztec UB to shine.

Anyway, I settled some really good lands, there's a crapton of luxuries around, I'm growing like mad. I have 4 friends, I piggyback stuff like crazy. Once this round of RAs is done, that will just slingshot me right up ahead.

However, I'd be really pleased if everyone would just dogpile on
Spoiler :

China

and kill them, because I don't trust them boys one bit.

There's two screenies, one is showing something that's usually a fair bit earlier, the other is usually a fair bit later

Attachments

• communism.jpg
    communism.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 580
  • status1.jpg
    status1.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 616
I got a culture ruin and went for a Jag after the Scout as first build and did not build a monument until Legalism(Only because i had that culture ruin and 2 barb camps very close). I wonder if this is considered viable post patch???

To bad i couldn't get my hands on faith from quarrys with that
Spoiler :
marble
around and the stone. That might have been a religion even though the faith from that comes kind of late.

Anyway nice map, nice civ. Science Victory should be a cakewalk. The land is very nice and after stealing from
Spoiler :
china
and getting some early defenses out they shouldn't be a huge threat.

A possible
Spoiler :
3 Lux expand
as second city is kind of over the top imo.

But of course the capitol as is is kind of a slow start, i went for 3 pop settlers on this one with no pop ruin.

I always go scout-scout-monument to open it up on Pangaea and scout-monument-scout on Continents and then contemplate a shrine if I can steal a nice faith pantheon

I also do that, but as i said i had a culture ruin and there is the free honor opener as aztech trait so I'm just asking for this specific situation not in general how the opening should be.
I also like to get a Jag instead of a 2nd scout as Aztech, because why not^^(you wouldn't go for a warrior normally so if you want to build a Jag early you have to make a trade off and the scout is kind of the first pick for the trade off in my opinion)

eh, doesn't really matter much tbqh, once you've gone 4-5 social policies, killing units for culture isn't gonna help all that

Still you might get the Aquaducts a couple of turns earlier(ok if you don't want to go commerce or patronage and go directly for rationalism after tradition finisher this might be counterproductive) and i also want that juicy upgraded rifle defenders who always heal when they kill plundering ai bullys.

But my question wasn't related to that. It was whether or not in this situation it might be viable to not build a monument(like pre patch), because i got a culture ruin and i can count on some extra culture from barbs very early(so basicly around 2 culture ruins by the time i get legalism) :)

regards

Probably yes. I built it though.

I suppose it comes down to number crunching, I'm hardly a top tier player around here

At T182, trying to decide whether to take freedom or order.

Spoiler :
Built a jaguar instead of a scout as they are pretty much a scout with the right moves. Went for 2 quick expansions at 4 pop and settled the same spots as stormtrooper412(desert hill on lake and coastal river). Full tradition, opened patronage and currently working in rationalism. Petra was built before I even started trying to build it so no lost production and that city will still be great without it and Forbidden Palace was still available relatively late so I tried to hard build but lost by 2 turns. Built PT but mistimed it with my round of RAs since WF was on.

Got allied with the militaristic city-state to the south early who provided me with 2 catapults which razed China's troll city settled in between my coastal city and capital. Didn't push any further as they have the Great Wall(shocker...).

Built another settler to send over to the west on the island with gems, spices and a ton of fish but didn't have astronomy so it took forever to get there and William beat me to it. Then sent him to the south to get the crabs but China settled there right before I got my settler there. So now I have a settler who traveled the world but has no where to call home...

Super unlucky with my spies, first spy I put in Beijing(almost 30 pop at renaissance) and he got killed, put my replacement spy in Jakarta and also got killed. I can't even remember the last time one of spies died trying to steal a tech from a civ other than Korea.

I think Babylon lost their free GS as I don't see any academies and they are last in tech. They do have FP and 3/4 of the city-states so maybe he got tired of winning SV and wanted to switch it up with a DV.

Second to ideologies, Poland went order. Everyone is exotic with me except for Indonesia(I think) who are familiar so not sure if I want to risk going freedom since I'm down to only 5 happiness with only 3 cities and the AI never seem to go freedom when I do...

Spoiler :

That looks like a way out of the jungle into grassland river!

What can I say, I'm a sucker for granary resources... and I'll buy that sugar before the CS gets it. Starting location has too few river tiles and too many hills for my liking which is why I moved. Also seems like a choke point so if there is AI to the north he cannot get past me to expand south of me. Founding on t8 seems unthinkable to some, but I'm used to it.

BO was jagx2, granary, library. Got a spearjag from ruins and stole 2 workers from Gajah (abusing the ignore terrain cost from jungle and a nicely placed jungle hill where AI cannot see). Rescued another worker from barbs and hence my empire is off to a flying start.

Had to take Pacal's settler here with DoW... I could block but I cannot block TWO... since Pacal's settler is in the forest my jags quickly took care of him.

CKNs at t92... SCARY... (she went after Pacal however so I was saved; up to this point I only had several jags, a spearjag, and two chariots) Did not make any scouts this game and the first exploring unit I sent out to faraway lands was a horseman.

Tech path was ironworks -> acoustics -> Astronomy. Oracle and Sistine so far. No religion (all religions taken even before I got a pantheon)

My friend Indonesia managed to sneak one past me and planted a city on the left coast, which is actually quite OK by me since I had no interest in expanding there and the tiles don't clash, but I'm a little worried he might invite China to DoW me (Gajah is not very loyal); I can use my units to block Chinese troops from the east, abusing the strip of marsh tiles to keep units from arriving at my borders should the need arise. About to attempt Uffizi (so many AIs went aesthetics however). Even with 3 cities, happiness is a MAJOR problem... as my satellite cities grew so tall so fast... and I don't have many duplicate luxes... I cannot imagine going 4 cities on this map unless you keep them small/have crazy luck with mercantile CS coups and quests

Top Bottom