The Deity Challenge Line-up #21 - India

Acken

Deity
Welcome to the Deity Challenge Line-up!

- The spreadsheet of all challenge finishers to date has been updated and is available here.
Rules:
Spoiler :

This was a fortnightly event, but the schedule has changed and new games will now be posted every 10 days.

- All the games in this series are set to Deity difficulty.
- User civilizations, maps, and opponents change with each challenge, but the game speed is always set to Standard and the starting era is always Ancient.
- We try for a variety of starts
- This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions.
- If you complete 5 challenges, your name will be added to the 'Top Finishers' list.

* We welcome all comments and write-ups and invite you to post screenshots of key moments and the moment of victory (if you are successful), but please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, make a comment about which civs are in the game, or about wonders, or locations of ancient ruins, etc.

* In short, if it’s information you can only know by playing the game, don’t spoil it for others by divulging this information in the open. Thank you for your co-operation

DCL Game #21
You: India
Map Type:
Spoiler :
Continents, 5 Billion, Hot, Wet

No Ancient ruins
Medium to hard difficulty

Starting Location:
Spoiler :

Settings: Quick combat/movement (turn it back on if you would like)
Everything else is set to default.
Game Version - 1.0.3.276
Downloadable Content: – G&K, BNW, Conquest of the New World Deluxe, Genghis Khan's Mongolia, Harold Bluetooth's Denmark, Isabella’s Sapin and Pachacuti's Incan Empire, Kamehameha's Polynesian Empire, Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon, Sejong The Great's Korea, Wonders of the Ancient World. The map packs are intentionally excluded.

Schedule
Spoiler :

Game #1 20/06/14 The Zulu Pangaea
Game #2 04/07/14 America Continents
Game #3 18/07/14 Persia Continents
Game #4 01/08/14 Sweden Pangaea
Game #5 15/08/14 The Inca Pangaea
Game #6 29/08/14 Byzantium Continents
Game #7 12/09/14 Ethiopia Pangaea
Game #8 26/09/14 Mongolia Pangaea
Game #9 10/10/14 Rome Small Continents
Game #10 24/10/14 Polynesia Terra
Game #11 07/11/14 Morocco Pangaea
Game #12 21/11/14 The Maya Continents
Game #13 05/12/14 Indonesia Continents
Game #14 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) The Netherlands Small Continents
Game #15 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) Poland Pangaea
Game #16 02/01/15 China Pangaea
Game #17 16/01/15 Germany Pangaea
Game #18 23/01/15 OCC Babylon Continents
Game #19 02/02/15 Aztecs Pangea
Game #20 12/02/15 Spain Terra
Game #21 20/02/15 India
Game #22 01/03/15

I hope you all enjoy the map!

If you have any comments, questions or would like to submit a map for consideration for future challenges, please send an email to: deitychallenge@outlook.com
*Temporary kept the same mail address, may change in the future - Acken

Please note that submitted maps MUST have map packs disabled, so those who do not have them can enjoy the challenge. To do this, you MUST go into the DLC option from the Main Menu and untick the options ‘Scrambled Nations’, ‘Explorers Map Pack’ and ‘Scrambled Continents’. You will need to do this EVERY TIME you start a new game, or just simply delete the map packs. I suggest you disable these map DLCs on steam directly. Steam will uninstall them, just reactivate them when you need them. Thanks.

Attachments

• DCL #21 - India.Civ5Save
    502.4 KB · Views: 220
That image is a little disturbing if you know anything about Slim Pickens and Doctor Stranglelove but I have do admit that it did make me laugh when I first opened the thread! I knew it! I knew we would see a game with No Ancient Ruins since Acken is hosting :)!! Since I have all map packs enabled and all DLC I am not sure if I can tell you for sure so we will have to wait for a player without them to download and install.

Out of curiosity...
what does the
Spoiler :
5 billion

mean?

btw I see marsh, jungle, and no river. Mountain.
Will explore southwest on hill for greener pastures but if it's more of the same...
Gonna SV this one simply because CV looks too brutal.

I wonder why ruins have been disabled though. I suppose Shoshone isn't in the game then.

Although because it's a map Acken picked, I'm sure this one will be DIFFICULT.

5 Billion means that the map is 5 billion years old...flatter, less mountains, mountains are more clustered together...something to do with tectonic activity yada yada...

Spoiler :
This is an extremely sadistic map. My guess is that this map will have a record low of finishers :lol:
Update: Actually, I've given up... Mongolia did not last long after I stole his workers and I have no one to bribe the savage against...

t72 Impi.

But I do have an idea how to finish this map... will replay

Ouch is the word !!!
I need a restart also,started to go tall and fell down .....

Spoiler :
I decided to go Liberty because I didn't think I could build settlers quickly enough on this terrain. Got a little nervous when Shaka settled the mountain/Old Faithful spot and started moving his army down towards me. Paid him a gem and embassy with 2 iron to go war on Mongolia. I was left to develop in peace, but my three cities were pretty anemic. I got my Liberty GE on turn 95 and popped it on Chichen Itza. Unfortunately another AI finished it that turn, so I didn't get it. Shaka also wiped Genghis off the map and I figured I was his next target, so I just quit. I am barely a Deity player on a good day and good start so I think I'll wait to see how other people do with this one before I give it another shot.

Spoiler :
I opened 2 scouts + shrine, with the faith CS south this gave me a fast pantheon that I used to get jungle culture allowing me to skip monument
Managed to grab 2 workers out of Mongolia and then started to chop jungle. Parked a scout in norther cacao area to spot settlers while I built mine just after shrine.
Founded 2 quick cities on the coast then started to get everything up for a 3 city NC that I got around turn 78.

Shaka then went after Mongolia and wiped them out around T90. Feeling the heat I started to build some units, with those from valetta I have a decent defense force, especially with such a natural barrier.
Added a city after NC.

Shaka however was happy enough to go after Arabia for now. I think I got lucky there, I may try the map again to see if that's always doable.

I got a T108Education and T136Secularism.

On my way to Dynamite. Production is awful but science is pretty strong (observatories + jungles). Thinking about cancelling the Pisa tower actually and just start on canons.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :
First off, I figured the only chance to survive was to settle the capitol... where most people would not think to...

Here... (granary goods makes for a VERY fast early game... however, it will lack production in the long term so wonderwhoring is kinda out of the picture. Any wonders built this game except Oracle and maybe some earlier ones probably will be GE-generated for the most part.) Safe... and avoids jungle.

Pretty strong early game... much better than last time. Lucky with barb quests and TR quests making 2 CS allies very early. Got Sun God pantheon. (later religion too... and for lack of imagination picked divine inspiration and StP even though I'm not sure I'll be able to keep the peace)

Did not have to bribe. Needless to say, the newly-awakened warmonger in me decided this is my chance!

To armmmmmmmmssssssssss!!! (later razed Hsia) Gandhi the warmonger!

Beat him down and got another city in a deal. (Through selling some iron, I bought OB from Zulu and I made sure Shaka was not able to get a melee unit to Karakorum... and the city ultimately survived... they still have not yet made peace but it was pretty dangerous... the city was in the red for a while but now has recovered to full hp)

The dust has settled and I have two cities which will soon be VERY tall thanks to ships, and a puppet which I'm keeping until I get a DoF, then I'll sell it to whoever wants to be my friend (and get into the diplomatic mess the city will SURE bring me)
Genghis has rebounded somewhat and resettled Hsia (although it probably will get taken, but it's really a crap city and will slow Shaka down a bit)

btw Shaka suddenly decides he's going to wonderwhore... he's built Parthenon, Hagia, and Borobudur at this point.
Arabia is wonderwhoring as usual... Petra and etc... I will be sure to send Assyria against him (or fight him with battleships late game... I'm sure that capitol will be quite juicy)

I do think this game is quite winnable at the point.

Turn 0-52

The special Banana Bread I made is about to kick in strong so I will be on a 7-8 hr Roller Coaster but I will continue this game tomorrow!

Spoiler :
I can't play too long. I was busy updating all the player pages and the Leaderboards so if anyone is interested they should check it out and let me know what they think good or bad. Also if I forgot to update a player page or a player would like pages or someone finds a mistake please let me know asap!

Onto the game! I really love this map so far! It is early but I like all the jungle and the choices I have to make. First I did not want to give these lunatics my embassy. I also traded out my gems for only 4gpt to get some relations with Kahn. Next I gave Shaka 2gpt and after that 1gpt to get some relations. It worked and they stopped coveting my lands! Now I have 2-3 green modifiers with them and I put Shaka to war with Kahn. I hope they stalemate because I don't want to see Super Shaka lol!

So far gold is not a problem but I need to cut this jungle out to get some mines for production. I plan to use Holy Warriors to crush these Lunatics on my Cont!! Oh I did manage to get three workers but I was not even going to try to steal any from Kahn or Shaka because I have fallen for that trap many times before and they hate you for life and sometimes won't make peace!

B.O. : Scout, Monument, Settler, Caravan (sent to Kahn), Barracks, Library

Tech Order : Mining, AH, BW, Pott, Cal, Writing, Philo

I did not like the desert location but to get Mt. Sinai was worth it for me even though that city is going to be awful unless I get Petra with the Liberty Finisher.

SPs : Liberty left 1, right 1. I wanted the free settler but I was a bit worried about happy so I will take it next and maybe settle south to the gold/marble. I would like to get over to the second Mtn. but it seems too risky.

Religion: I was first to this for a change which is nice. I want to convert these warmongers asap so they will love me and my church!

I chose +4 faith/Tithe/Holy Warriors as the pictures show. I plan to war it up later so it will be nice to faith buy units.

Screenshots

Spoiler :

Spoiler :
Now I have 2-3 green modifiers with them and I put Shaka to war with Kahn. I hope they stalemate because I don't want to see Super Shaka lol!

Spoiler :
I cant help but think a proper Shaka Khan joke would have been in order there. :lol:

Start looks rather bad but if you can survive long enough, mountain jungle can give you nice science. Lack of river hurts. I think i would either settle on the gems by the mountain or try to go for a longer trip in hopes of finding better lands.
Will give this one a try. Continents + no ruins so probably only one scout.

Spoiler :
OMG I was going to win the very next turn but Korea beat me to the science victory. Spaceship in hand too =(

Oh well, that's what I get for taking 325 turns to win. Only going 2 cities was a huge mistake.

T 93. I have lost all my love for the War Elephant.

Spoiler :
Shaka asked for a DoW on Mongols so I said yes, free Diplo. I sent over some forces, but kept losing UUs to Swordsmen. I think I lost 3, maybe 4. Drat. I must have captured about 8 workers from Mongolia. I even game 2 back to the owners for more diplo. I have 2 cities. I think I am too far behind now. But all those workers seems broken to me. Yet, I am at the same time entrigued. Can they pull me up from this hole I am in?

Open Trad> Liberty. God of Protection.

T 93. I have lost all my love for the War Elephant.
@budweiser very surprised at your SP choices.

Thx @Acken I'll definitely try this, the start looks pretty bleak though, might have to turtle it out.

Top Bottom