1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Deity Challenge Line-up #29 - Dido's swimming pool

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by Acken, May 10, 2015.

1. Acken

Acken Deity

There is now a thread to express yourself if you have remarks and ideas:
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=546469

Welcome to the Deity Challenge Line-up!

- The spreadsheet of all challenge finishers to date has been updated and is available here.
    Rules:
    Spoiler :

This was a fortnightly event, but the schedule has changed and new games will now be posted every 10 days.

- All the games in this series are set to Deity difficulty.
    - User civilizations, maps, and opponents change with each challenge, but the game speed is always set to Standard and the starting era is always Ancient.
    - We try for a variety of starts
    - This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions.
    - If you complete 5 challenges, your name will be added to the 'Top Finishers' list.

* We welcome all comments and write-ups and invite you to post screenshots of key moments and the moment of victory (if you are successful), but please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, make a comment about which civs are in the game, or about wonders, or locations of ancient ruins, etc.

* In short, if it’s information you can only know by playing the game, don’t spoil it for others by divulging this information in the open. Thank you for your co-operation

New - For better view please put your results in bold letters so that the person that updates the spreadsheet can quickly see it.

DCL Game #29
    You: Carthage
    Map Type:
    Spoiler :
    Small Continents

Difficulty:
    Spoiler :
    Medium

Starting Location:
    Spoiler :

Settings: Quick combat/movement (turn it back on if you would like)
    Everything else is set to default.
    Game Version - 1.0.3.276
    Downloadable Content: – G&K, BNW, Conquest of the New World Deluxe, Genghis Khan's Mongolia, Harold Bluetooth's Denmark, Isabella’s Sapin and Pachacuti's Incan Empire, Kamehameha's Polynesian Empire, Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon, Sejong The Great's Korea, Wonders of the Ancient World. The map packs are intentionally excluded.

Schedule
    Spoiler :

Game #1 20/06/14 The Zulu Pangaea
    Game #2 04/07/14 America Continents
    Game #3 18/07/14 Persia Continents
    Game #4 01/08/14 Sweden Pangaea
    Game #5 15/08/14 The Inca Pangaea
    Game #6 29/08/14 Byzantium Continents
    Game #7 12/09/14 Ethiopia Pangaea
    Game #8 26/09/14 Mongolia Pangaea
    Game #9 10/10/14 Rome Small Continents
    Game #10 24/10/14 Polynesia Terra
    Game #11 07/11/14 Morocco Pangaea
    Game #12 21/11/14 The Maya Continents
    Game #13 05/12/14 Indonesia Continents
    Game #14 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) The Netherlands Small Continents
    Game #15 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) Poland Pangaea
    Game #16 02/01/15 China Pangaea
    Game #17 16/01/15 Germany Pangaea
    Game #18 23/01/15 OCC Babylon Continents
    Game #19 02/02/15 Aztecs Pangea
    Game #20 12/02/15 Spain Terra
    Game #21 20/02/15 India Continents
    Game #22 28/02/15 Brazil Pangea
    Game #23 10/03/15 Huns Continents
    Game #24 20/03/15 Arabia Pangea
    Game #25 30/03/15 (April Fool's) Venice Pangea
    Game #26 10/04/15 Celts Continents
    Game #27 20/04/15 Danemark Pangea
    Game #28 30/04/15 Russia Oval
    Game #29 10/05/15 Carthage Small Continents

I hope you all enjoy the map!

If you want to share a map please send me a private message.

Please note that maps you wish to share MUST have map packs disabled, so those who do not have them can enjoy the challenge. To do this, you MUST go into the DLC option from the Main Menu and untick the options ‘Scrambled Nations’, ‘Explorers Map Pack’ and ‘Scrambled Continents’. You will need to do this EVERY TIME you start a new game, or just simply delete the map packs. I suggest you disable these map DLCs on steam directly. Steam will uninstall them, just reactivate them when you need them. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Acken

Acken Deity

It should provide a reasonable challenge while offering multiple options for development. I also tried to get a map making good use of the UA.

3. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

Medium? The start looks pretty amazing; I love sea starts! :lol:
    Perhaps I spoke too soon however...

4. Acken

Acken Deity

Well take my rating with a grain of salt :p

5. stormtrooper412

stormtrooper412 Peacemongering Turtlesaur

I wonder what the host has cooked up this time. I had a feeling it would be Dido

6. consentient

consentient Domination!

I think I may well play Dido as someone afraid of swimming :p

In other words, see if this map is winnable OCC.

I'm gonna beeline Mathematics and Currency and see if I can get HG and Petra.

At least we'll also have a stab at DF.

7. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

Messenger of the Gods is where its at, but not for OCC.

8. ToborajniN

ToborajniN Warlord

Are we gonna see turn 3 CB barbs again acken? ;)

9. consentient

consentient Domination!

T167

Spoiler :
    Where is the Aluminium? :cry:

OCC will be reliant on trades and alliances now!

Early game was great. Got HG and Petra. Sent all my cargo ships to the Ottomans. They've been good partners ever since. Japan less so. They DoW'd me and I had to repel an invasion. haven't made peace. I don't have a big enough army for them to offer me anything, but my CBs are training their selves by shooting his units across the straits. A fleet of Quinqeremes sits outside my borders in both directions completing preventing anyone from coming through. I have everyone's OBs (apart from Japan, ofc) and no one has mine.

Probably shooting for Culture since Sejong is in the game and I'm not going through the horror of an aborted DomV attempt with Suleiman in the game again (flashback to DCL #14).

Now, where's the aluminium?

10. adcarrymaokai

adcarrymaokai Emperor

I read "small continents" and got immediate cold sweats and flashbacks from that Netherlands game.

Anyway, is the theme of this game backstabbing the AI's? I am taking a break from Civ, but I want to try out for a naval DomV when I get back.

11. Olodune

Olodune Emperor GOTM Staff

Interesting looking start. I am looking forward to this one. Too bad that deer tile isn't in the 2-ring.

12. stormtrooper412

Wow, Acken, did you dial up the barbs to 11 in this, they're EVERYWHERE

13. Acken

Acken Deity

No change to barbs.

Not really. I just struggled to find a worthy image for Dido since she's mostly mythical but then I remembered she's the most backstabbing AI.

14. Olodune

I like this. Interesting choices so far.

to t100
    Spoiler :

Since I suspected this was a water map I started with a worker. There is enough land here that a scout may have been better.

There is room for two solid cities in the south and a less solid one in the north. I was going to settle Mt Kailash but then God of the Sea was stolen, so I settled in a place that would be easier for cargo ships to feed Carthage.

There was a moment where I had to block a barbarian galley with workers to save a Cargo ship. That is not an ideal scenario. :)

The my-land-coveting Askia is looking too purposeful here. Time to sink some early resources into a bribe, I think.

I tried to prioritize a lighthouse (Carthage), and then the two Cargo ships, ahead of a 3-city NC. I think this will pay off in the medium-long term.

Culture per turn is very low (I won't finish Tradition until ~t108), and there are no Carthaginian wonders. HG would have been possible, but I didn't want to sink precious hammers into it.

T100.

I will settle the southern fur Isle as well, partially because Carthage is waiting on furs for a WLTKD.

Longer term I will at least have one Galleas and/or Frigate war.

15. consentient

consentient Domination!

T194

I just discovered that
    Spoiler :
    training units and donating them to CS is a great way of waging war against the AI major civs without having to bother about controlling them, provided what they have to do with them is very simple and 'foolproof'. I gave the Foreign Legions to Yerevan and they are conquering Japanese cities. A great way to give the finger to Oda! :)

16. Olodune

t150 update, not all peaceful play

Spoiler :

I thought I had dodged the Askia bullet. Not so much. (Askia has killed all but one Ottoman city and has a large, advanced army despite the looks to the contrary below):

Unfortunately for the Songhai, leader I have just started building Galleas and am only a few turns off from Navigation. I'll reach it on t128 with a Scientist. Frigates push back very successfully, and, unbribed by me, Cathy has helped to carve into Askia from the north. Gao is vulnerable, but I'm not sure how to handle happiness yet. If I'd known I could take Gao I would probably have razed Jenne. Hmm.

I'm building Pisa, but I expect to lose it to Pacal who started building 1 or 2 turns after me.

Frigates are a little awkward on this map since so many cities are inland, but paying Sejong a visit might be interesting.

17. consentient

consentient Domination!

Update: T247 Culture with defensive wars that boosted science and sped up victory

Spoiler :
    Nice OP map. GPT went completely through the roof, I wonder-whored to my heart's content. I realised after Foreign Legions that I could give Japan a whooping, add to my CPT and also beakers, so I conquered most of his cities with Battleships and Infantry, assisted by CS.

Even though he had the lowest lifetime culture, he took the longest to influence in the end because he wouldn't make peace at any cost. Cathy and Sejong, who I'm convinced Oda paid to DoW me 30 turns before victory, charged a hefty price for OB at the very end so I could Musician bomb and speed up the win. Screenshot for Sejong attached. Forgot to do the Cathy one but it involved all the Japanese cities and all my gold and luxes or she wasn't interested.

Consequently, final turn screenshot doesn't reflect peak CPT, BPT, etc. Happiness is nice though :)

This felt very much like Venice all over again. I'm glad the ghost of DCL #14 has been put to rest, and I'm positive someone can get a sub-T200 on this one.

18. adcarrymaokai

adcarrymaokai Emperor

Then you could share a worthy video of Dido.

Link to video.

19. stormtrooper412

consentient you really came through with the OCC, awesome

20. consentient

consentient Domination!

@Stormtrooper412

Spoiler :
    Thanks. It's a good map for it, provided you can dissuade the psychos either side from attacking you, or repel them. Provided you watch the northern shores for Turks and the Eastern shore for Japanese, you can be OK. I built mainly Quinqeremes early for exploration and attacking the embarked units of the above psychos. When Japan DoW'd me, I left my Quinqeremes in shooting distance of his CBs, so as to level them up without risk, and just rotated them in and out of my borders, which I'd extended that far by means of a GG.