The Deity Challenge Line-up #30 - Iroquois

Acken

Deity
There is now a thread to express yourself if you have remarks and ideas:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=546469

Welcome to the Deity Challenge Line-up!

- The spreadsheet of all challenge finishers to date has been updated and is available here.
Rules:
Spoiler :

This was a fortnightly event, but the schedule has changed and new games will now be posted every 10 days.

- All the games in this series are set to Deity difficulty.
- User civilizations, maps, and opponents change with each challenge, but the game speed is always set to Standard and the starting era is always Ancient.
- We try for a variety of starts
- This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions.
- If you complete 5 challenges, your name will be added to the 'Top Finishers' list.

* We welcome all comments and write-ups and invite you to post screenshots of key moments and the moment of victory (if you are successful), but please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, make a comment about which civs are in the game, or about wonders, or locations of ancient ruins, etc.

* In short, if it’s information you can only know by playing the game, don’t spoil it for others by divulging this information in the open. Thank you for your co-operation

New - For better view please put your results in bold letters so that the person that updates the spreadsheet can quickly see it.

DCL Game #30
You: Iroquois
Map Type & Settings:
Spoiler :
Pangea
Extra brutes near you
Extra forest near you
Extra settler for one of the AI

Difficulty:
Spoiler :
Medium-Hard

Starting Location:
Spoiler :

Settings: Quick combat/movement (turn it back on if you would like)
Everything else is set to default.
Game Version - 1.0.3.276
Downloadable Content: – G&K, BNW, Conquest of the New World Deluxe, Genghis Khan's Mongolia, Harold Bluetooth's Denmark, Isabella’s Sapin and Pachacuti's Incan Empire, Kamehameha's Polynesian Empire, Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon, Sejong The Great's Korea, Wonders of the Ancient World. The map packs are intentionally excluded.

Schedule
Spoiler :

Game #1 20/06/14 The Zulu Pangaea
Game #2 04/07/14 America Continents
Game #3 18/07/14 Persia Continents
Game #4 01/08/14 Sweden Pangaea
Game #5 15/08/14 The Inca Pangaea
Game #6 29/08/14 Byzantium Continents
Game #7 12/09/14 Ethiopia Pangaea
Game #8 26/09/14 Mongolia Pangaea
Game #9 10/10/14 Rome Small Continents
Game #10 24/10/14 Polynesia Terra
Game #11 07/11/14 Morocco Pangaea
Game #12 21/11/14 The Maya Continents
Game #13 05/12/14 Indonesia Continents
Game #14 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) The Netherlands Small Continents
Game #15 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) Poland Pangaea
Game #16 02/01/15 China Pangaea
Game #17 16/01/15 Germany Pangaea
Game #18 23/01/15 OCC Babylon Continents
Game #19 02/02/15 Aztecs Pangea
Game #20 12/02/15 Spain Terra
Game #21 20/02/15 India Continents
Game #22 28/02/15 Brazil Pangea
Game #23 10/03/15 Huns Continents
Game #24 20/03/15 Arabia Pangea
Game #25 30/03/15 (April Fool's) Venice Pangea
Game #26 10/04/15 Celts Continents
Game #27 20/04/15 Danemark Pangea
Game #28 30/04/15 Russia Oval
Game #29 10/05/15 Carthage Small Continents
Game #30 20/05/15 Iroquois Pangea

I hope you all enjoy the map!

If you want to share a map please send me a private message.

Please note that maps you wish to share MUST have map packs disabled, so those who do not have them can enjoy the challenge. To do this, you MUST go into the DLC option from the Main Menu and untick the options ‘Scrambled Nations’, ‘Explorers Map Pack’ and ‘Scrambled Continents’. You will need to do this EVERY TIME you start a new game, or just simply delete the map packs. I suggest you disable these map DLCs on steam directly. Steam will uninstall them, just reactivate them when you need them. Thanks.

Attachments

• DCL #30 - Iroquois.Civ5Save
    612.1 KB · Views: 167
Missed it by that much.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :
Then somebody won a cultural victory.I should have won, I rushed through it too fast because it was easy.

Starting Location:

Looks great, coastal hill next to mountain! Lots of forest for chops and/or UA/UB. Any reason not to settle in place? What is the best way to work the longhouse? I am tempted to clear cut everything and just settle for a nerfed workshop. Maybe there is enough quick chops for Stonehenge?

Looks great, coastal hill next to mountain! Lots of forest for chops and/or UA/UB. Any reason not to settle in place? What is the best way to work the longhouse? I am tempted to clear cut everything and just settle for a nerfed workshop. Maybe there is enough quick chops for Stonehenge?

Maybe. But maybe since its coastal, you could send food to yourself and work the forest tiles for extra hammers.

I've not even looked at the map yet but there is no point saving forests IMO. You will have a much slower start. Play the Iroquois as the Neutrals.

If there are forest also on third ring you can save them because they give very low chop value and you should have builded everything important buy then. Also deer seems to be forest hill so no point chopping that.

Edit. Forest also gives free road

Yeah, difficult to give blind advice, I too haven't seen the map yet

I am just talking about what you see in the starting screen shot, so pure conjecture based on typical Iroquois wooded start. Except that it is coastal, so maybe above average Iroquois start!

Forest also gives free road

I like your save-the-third ring idea. I have never been able to get much from of the free-forest-road UA, but I will wait and see what scouting turns up.

I've played this to around T100 and predict that very soon people will be posting comments about how hard this map is :D

Acken has added some challenges, again :)

This map shows
Spoiler :
that you dont need a lot of science to win a game. It is rigged so the world will race through science. I was 20 techs behind and I only lost because I was sloppy with National Wonders and interior trade routes. Shoshone can do this peaceful trade strat too. I'm sure others can as well.

Does Iroquois offer any particular synergy for that? Due to the flavor settings, Iroquois AI always plays wide, but that I don’t understand: Why would Iroquois be better for Liberty than any other civ?

Free roads=money

I've not even looked at the map yet but there is no point saving forests IMO. You will have a much slower start. Play the Iroquois as the Neutrals.
Unless those forests are on a hill (which they are on this map). Then you get the same yield as a mine with lumber mill and longhouse, plus one extra food.

Free roads=money

I guess that I am skeptical that free roads add up to much. OTOH, because roads are so expensive, one change I had to make between GnK and BNW was building roads much later. Still, unless the map is arboreal, the extent of the forest is likely to be quite limiting.

Unless those forests are on a hill (which they are on this map). Then you get the same yield as a mine with lumber mill and longhouse, plus one extra food.

Thanks, that is another good tip. At the very least, I will not be chopping forested hills.

Top Bottom