The Deity Challenge Line-up #32 - England

Acken

Deity
There is now a thread to express yourself if you have remarks and ideas:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=546469

Welcome to the Deity Challenge Line-up!

- The spreadsheet of all challenge finishers to date has been updated and is available here.
Rules:
Spoiler :

This was a fortnightly event, but the schedule has changed and new games will now be posted every 10 days.

- All the games in this series are set to Deity difficulty.
- User civilizations, maps, and opponents change with each challenge, but the game speed is always set to Standard and the starting era is always Ancient.
- We try for a variety of starts
- This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions.
- If you complete 5 challenges, your name will be added to the 'Top Finishers' list.

* We welcome all comments and write-ups and invite you to post screenshots of key moments and the moment of victory (if you are successful), but please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, make a comment about which civs are in the game, or about wonders, or locations of ancient ruins, etc.

* In short, if it’s information you can only know by playing the game, don’t spoil it for others by divulging this information in the open. Thank you for your co-operation

New - For better view please put your results in bold letters so that the person that updates the spreadsheet can quickly see it.

DCL Game #32
You: England
Map Type:
Spoiler :
Continents

Difficulty:
Spoiler :
Easy

Starting Location:
Spoiler :

Settings: Quick combat/movement (turn it back on if you would like)
Everything else is set to default.
Game Version - 1.0.3.276
Downloadable Content: – G&K, BNW, Conquest of the New World Deluxe, Genghis Khan's Mongolia, Harold Bluetooth's Denmark, Isabella’s Spain and Pachacuti's Incan Empire, Kamehameha's Polynesian Empire, Nebuchadnezzar's Babylon, Sejong The Great's Korea, Wonders of the Ancient World. The map packs are intentionally excluded.

Schedule
Spoiler :

Game #1 20/06/14 The Zulu Pangaea
Game #2 04/07/14 America Continents
Game #3 18/07/14 Persia Continents
Game #4 01/08/14 Sweden Pangaea
Game #5 15/08/14 The Inca Pangaea
Game #6 29/08/14 Byzantium Continents
Game #7 12/09/14 Ethiopia Pangaea
Game #8 26/09/14 Mongolia Pangaea
Game #9 10/10/14 Rome Small Continents
Game #10 24/10/14 Polynesia Terra
Game #11 07/11/14 Morocco Pangaea
Game #12 21/11/14 The Maya Continents
Game #13 05/12/14 Indonesia Continents
Game #14 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) The Netherlands Small Continents
Game #15 19/12/14 (Xmas Special) Poland Pangaea
Game #16 02/01/15 China Pangaea
Game #17 16/01/15 Germany Pangaea
Game #18 23/01/15 OCC Babylon Continents
Game #19 02/02/15 Aztecs Pangea
Game #20 12/02/15 Spain Terra
Game #21 20/02/15 India Continents
Game #22 28/02/15 Brazil Pangea
Game #23 10/03/15 Huns Continents
Game #24 20/03/15 Arabia Pangea
Game #25 30/03/15 (April Fool's) Venice Pangea
Game #26 10/04/15 Celts Continents
Game #27 20/04/15 Danemark Pangea
Game #28 30/04/15 Russia Oval
Game #29 10/05/15 Carthage Small Continents
Game #30 20/05/15 Iroquois Pangea
Game #31 31/05/15 Ottomans Continents
Game #31 10/06/15 England Pangea

I hope you all enjoy the map!

If you want to share a map please send me a private message.

Please note that maps you wish to share MUST have map packs disabled, so those who do not have them can enjoy the challenge. To do this, you MUST go into the DLC option from the Main Menu and untick the options ‘Scrambled Nations’, ‘Explorers Map Pack’ and ‘Scrambled Continents’. You will need to do this EVERY TIME you start a new game, or just simply delete the map packs. I suggest you disable these map DLCs on steam directly. Steam will uninstall them, just reactivate them when you need them. Thanks.

Attachments

• DCL #32 - England.Civ5Save
    533.3 KB · Views: 344
Given the UU, I'm tempted to attempt an H-C-A LP, and finish it this time. (So much more effort to make a full series of vids than just to play, but I know I've promised HCA for a while now)

Coool England. And plains (more than likely horses for good gold) + 2 wheat + coastal + salt ? Oh myyyyyy. Early longbow rush plus ship of the line OPness finishing ? Might make picking a geat admiral with a liberty finisher worth it no ?

260 DomV

Spoiler :

My start was pretty slow. Quite a few barbarians delayed and moved my settlement of York, and NC was up at turn 92 I think. The growth potential was so dominant, though, so even with some minor-medium messups early on - losing both my scout and warrior to city bombardment while stealing workers from Arabia - I was able to catch up with a vengeance around turn 130-150. The extra spy helped in that regard as well.

England is a very strong domination civ on continent maps (on all maps really, but more so with water), so it was obvious to me that this game was going to be a domination one. I spent some time building infrastructure, and could have been more aggressive if I wanted to me more effective, but I took the more happy go lucky sloppy approach for this game. I took Karakorum first, and then Beijing. China had a lot of wonders, including all the defensive ones, so it was very difficult taking their capital. If I remember correctly they had 87 defense when I took them around turn 170 or so. which made for some problems even with the awesome unique ships of England. A frigate-based fleet would probably not succeed that particular mission.

This was a good map for playing England. I missed early production in the capital, much because of some early mistakes and late workers, and probably focused a bit too much on infrastructure and being friends with the civs on my own contintent, so I suspect better players will show some great performances, possibly domination before artillery.

Thanks for the map, it was not very difficult for Deity, but very enjoyable.

2015-06-11_00001.jpg
2015-06-12_00002.jpg
2015-06-12_00003.jpg

Here is my empire on t106. I havent attacked anyone yet.

Spoiler :

T160
Spoiler :
Attacked all the way to Arab cap then made peace for 40gpt. Now Arab and Maya cap in range. Will attack them both in 10 turns when peace deal and friendship deal ends. I am playing pretty fast so will take a break and finish later.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :
Running into trouble with Maya, I am 7 techs behind. Took his cap but he took Mecca. I have to take it back and beat him into submission.

Looking good - may have to give this one a go.

Small request - for the next Diety Challenge can we get France - I'd like to see how they go on Diety for a CV.

Nice, already a good DomV. So tempting to click on those spoilers though.

Congrats !

I think i'll try and not screw up a liberty opening here. Dowing a nice production CS for workers and early archer training, going for a NC fast build with lib finisher. Still wondering if opening honor before finishing liberty could prove usefull here, doubt it unless it's possible to get one or two cultural CSes allied to not slow down lib finisher too much.

Starting Location:

What is with the black wavy line between hexes? I thought it might be outlining where the settler can move, but it seems to be around the forest?

Anyone see any reason not to settle in place? I will move the warrior upstream first, but unless this the 1-in-100 map that reveals a natural wonder, SIP it is. I will try HCA first, but I am quite terrible at that.

What is with the black wavy line between hexes? I thought it might be outlining where the settler can move, but it seems to be around the forest?

He is using enhanced user interface, and is holding his mouse over the forest tile. The interface then shows which tiles would be within the 3-ring radius of a city built on that tile.

I ignored my dislike of replaying maps to do a classic Liberty/Tradition comparison here. Went for a t100 Liberty followed by a t100 Tradition start. I think Liberty is more sensitive to map knowledge which is why I tried that one first.

t100 Liberty
Spoiler :

Bad Ruins
Stole Workers from Arabia and Ur (4 total)
Found El D late, but was first -> settler
Went early Engineering, but this might not be the best map for it: there is not a ton of excess happiness here.

1st Food, 3rd mfg, Edu on 105/106

t100 Tradition
Spoiler :

Culture Ruin + Bad Ruins
Stole Workers from Arabia and Ur (4 total)
Found El D -> settler (earlier than the Liberty game).

1st Food, 1st mfg*, Edu on 98. I actually have 2 fewer hammer than the Liberty game.

I did go for 6 cities in both cases. The tradition game is a little stronger, I think. Mostly due to the GPT difference.

t204 one continent is secure

Spoiler :

Poised to take foot hold on second continent.
Spoiler :

Hello all:

First time posting in this forum and first time playing a DCL for real. I´ve been reading a lot through theese forums to learn and so far I´ve got two wins on deity after many many attempts: one diplo win with Venice and one SV with Spain and a lucky start of 2 natural wonders (one of them being FoY, wich got me 20 happinness).

I´ve decided that the best way to improve my gameplay is to start playing these DCL and share with the elite players around here my advance and results. So this will be the first one that I will play without reading other player´s spoilers.

I will post in the spoiler my situation on turn 81 and make some questions. If you think that I should make those questiones on another thread, please say so. Also, excuse me for my english but I´m spanish.

Spoiler :
I settled London just across the river from the starting position to secure the 3 salts, 2 dyes and 3 wheats and 1 fish (and later the horses). BO was scout, monument, scout, granary, shrine, library and 3 archers, before going for NC. I also built a settler sometime in between. I bought a settler with the 500 from El Dorado. I settled York on a hill 5 tiles E from Venice (2 tiles NW Old Faithful) and Nottingham on the coast SE from Venice to grab 4 whales, 3 sheep, wheat and horses. I just finished NC on turn 81 and have 1 settler ready to found another city on the same coast to get the other whales and the iron. City number 5 will be somewhere around the marble SE London and I want another one on the coast NW London to send cargo ships. I went liberty but won´t finish it until turn 105 or so. I´m at war with Arabia because I stole one settler that was coming to mi lands. Stole another worker from mogadiscio and another form barbs. I´ve just researched Construction and just beelined for Civil Service. Mogadiscio has just allied Arabia and DOWed me. Have DoF with Venice and Incas.

Questions are:
1.- What do you think of my start so far?
2.- Is 6 cities too much on a map like this? I think you need the one across Venice to secure the area and launch future invasions, the 2 on the SW coast where the whales because they are too good to miss and the other 2 on the same coast that London to send the cargo ships.
3.- Would you go for XB right away to conquest Arabia with the UU or would you consolide the start, go for Education first and then Artillery?
4.- Should I take Mogadiscio now that they are at war with me and make it my 6th city or the diplo hit is too heavy?

Thank you in advance for your replies and apologize if this is not the right place to make these questions

At war with whole other continent. They are just about to crack.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :
Could not make do with low tech weapons. Will have to wait for GW planes to finish it. This is my typical low beaker style and I cant seem to shake it.

Questions are:

Spoiler :

1.- What do you think of my start so far?

Nice city locations, but it is hard to tell how the development is going without sizes, etc.

2.- Is 6 cities too much on a map like this?

6 cities is good as Liberty - but you'll find happiness to be barely enough with the "Continents" setup, I think. Good building practice.

3.- Would you go for XB right away to conquest Arabia with the UU or would you consolide the start, go for Education first and then Artillery?

If you're going for war then start with Longbowmen - they are very powerful on Deity. Waiting is fine too and makes sense if you self found 6 cities. If you want a LB push I'd only found 3-4.

4.- Should I take Mogadiscio now that they are at war with me and make it my 6th city or the diplo hit is too heavy?

Diplo hit is usually too heavy, but, taking them out before meeting the other Continent could make sense here.

my (far from competent) opinions on 6 city liberty on continents ..

-unless atypically extra luxurious diverse map you'll need outside happiness (and culture/faith/food/units) from city states.. If not enough of them are on your continent (require astronomy to meet) your options (potential power) are limited
-6 cities covers a lot of dirt and can get a lot of spare luxuries and strategics to sell (your mid-game economy) .. They are worthless (economic wise) unless you have somebody to sell them to.. Isolated until astronomy problematic ..
-lack of (external) happiness will force you to waste (precious few early) hammers and then GPT on the happiness buildings ..

All high level players I've watched are extremely proficient at constantly wooing a lot of city states and profiting a lot from it..

My first Deity Domination Victory! I know the map is supposed to be easy but I'm still pretty happy.

Spoiler :

I went 4-city Tradition, and just turtled until artillery, great war bombers, and infantry. Because of the terrain surrounding Venice I didn't think I could do it with longbowmen. It might be doable with ships of the line, but I didn't think of that. Once I had about 4 GWBs, 6 infantry, and 4 artillery, I sieged Venice and took it pretty quickly. I had a slight tech lead at that point, but only by one or two techs over China.

I was able to build the Brandenburg Gate and Eiffel Tower in London. Later on I built Prora, the Hubble and the Pentagon in Nottingham, which had production just as good as London due to a hydro plant. If I settled in place I could have built a hydro plant in London, but I moved to the hill, so that was out. Hastings built Neuschwanstein with a Great Engineer because I really needed the castle happiness.

(Aside: One of the things I don't like about Liberty is the lack of ability to buy Great Engineers. In my opinion, the people most worth faith buying are scientists, engineers, and writers/musicians (if culture victory), but I often don't finish Rationalism, and then what should I do with my faith if I'm Liberty and I'm not going for culture?)

I took Autocracy (at that point I had 6 Tradition, 2 Rationalism and 5 Honor in preparation for the war to come) and went for +25% damage from wounded units and -33% cost to purchase units. I have mostly gone Freedom and Order in my previous games because I generally don't fight aggressive wars. Autocracy seems strange to me in the most of the levels 1 tenets seem pretty bad, but there are a bunch of amazing level 2 tenets.

I didn't even bother taking the +25% attack bonus level 3 tenet because once I started my wars I was basically just looking for happiness and nothing else. I ended up with 3 level 2 tenets (barracks happiness, +25% production and XP for new units, and lower unit maintenance). Perhaps if there were more militaristic city-states in this game that tenet could have been good. I ended up with 6 Tradition, 2 Rationalism, 6 Honor, 6 Commerce, 7 Autocracy and 2 Exploration (needed happiness from sea buildings).

Arabia and the Maya were fighting, so I took advantage of the distraction to attack Arabia while he was occupied. After a few turns of fighting around Narjan, I took that city, then Damascus and Mecca fell fairly quickly. I extorted 200 gpt from Harun for peace and attacked the Maya, wiping out half their army before they even got a turn. I took over the large Mayan cities without losing anything more than 1 infantry. (I lost nothing against Venice and about 3-4 infantry and one artillery against Arabia.) I got 50 gpt for peace from Pacal, and started my troops walk back down to my home territory for D-Day against the Chinese and Mongols.

On the other continent, Russia was Autocracy and friends with me. China and Mongolia were Order and had denounced me, as had Freedom Persia. Russia and Mongolia were at war, as were China and Persia. Their troops were inland, making the coast an easy conquest.

Having the honor/commerce/autocracy tenets, I was able to buy 3-promotion battleships and carriers really cheaply. I attacked Xian with 1 destroyer, 8 battleships and three carriers supporting my 13 bombers, which at this point had logistics/air repair/siege 3. I took it in one turn, then moved inland to attack Guangzhou. However, Karakorum was very tempting and 4 tiles away, so on the next turn I just blasted it with my battleships and moved the destroyer in for the capture. Genghis had been getting pummeled by Russia so he was already weak.

I then marched my infantry and rocket artillery through China, moving towards Beijing. Unfortunately the three wonders I really wanted, Notre Dame, Machu Picchu and the Statue of Liberty, were in Persepolis, so geography dictated I wouldn't get those wonders until the game ended. When you have 13 bombers with logistics, cities fall quickly. I was starting to feel the unhappiness from puppeting 4 large cities, so I had to burn a great scientist on Refrigeration and rush-buy stadiums in my 4 core cities. After hitting Rocketry and Satellites my next goal was Stealth. China was 1 tech behind me, but I had taken most of their large cities so their scientific progress was about to come to a screeching halt.

I attacked Russia before even taking Beijing, because my troops were already in position and you only need a few infantry to actually take and hold a city if the bombers are doing the long-range dirty work. Due to happiness issues, I decided not to conquer Novgorod. I simply marched around it, pillaging as I went. I sent two carriers of bombers and 4 tanks north to attack Rostov. During this time I took Beijing and made peace with China for 50 gpt or something like that. After Rostov and Moscow fell, I made peace with Russia. For some reason she refused to give me any money even though I could easily have wiped her out.

I sent all my troops south to my new Chinese additions to the English empire, and hit Stealth two turns before the attack on Persia was scheduled to begin. I burned two great generals on citadels to move my borders to immediately adjacent to Persepolis. He complained, but what is he going to do, declare war on me? Hardly. This meant I had a tank sitting right next to Persepolis. When I declared war, 20 or so attacks from stealth bombers brought the city to 0, and my tank finished the world domination.

Question for experienced warmongers: Is it better to annex good cities after resistance ends and buy a courthouse, or is it better just to leave them as puppets? I left every conquered city this game as a puppet, but I wonder if annexing the enemy capitals might have been worth it. You would get a minor happiness bonus (more if you take the lvl 2 courthouse tenet in Autocracy) and remove the -25% culture and science penalty. On the other hand, your culture costs per new policy would go up. (Science is the same whether you puppet or annex apparently.) Also, I did not raze a single city this game, with the exception of a city China settled to my south down below Ur. I wanted that city off the map even though razing it was a brutal temporary hit to my happiness. Razing cities is OK if you aren't using bombers, but I needed the cities for airbases so I couldn't really raze them.

The first three pictures are from before I took Persepolis, which will explain the differences in numbers at the top from the last picture.

Attachments

• 2015-06-13_00001.jpg
    2015-06-13_00001.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 343
  • 2015-06-13_00002.jpg
    2015-06-13_00002.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 257
  • 2015-06-13_00003.jpg
    2015-06-13_00003.jpg
    411 KB · Views: 273
  • 2015-06-13_00004.jpg
    2015-06-13_00004.jpg