1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Deity Challenge Line-up - End of an Era

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by consentient, Feb 11, 2015.

1. consentient

consentient Domination!

To the DCL community

Sorry but I'm stepping down as host with immediate effect, rather than waiting for the end of some caretaker period as previously stated. Although I have the stability in my home and work life to be able to roll maps and post them regularly, I clearly don't have the emotional stability necessary to deal with negative feedback that has no constructive element.

I'll keep the spreadsheet updated but in every other regard, I'm officially done with the organisation side of the DCL and will return to being a player that has a lot to learn.

2. Nokmart

Nokmart Chieftain

Consentient, long time lurker here. I've enjoyed and appreciated the work you have put in on this and other threads. Sorry you feel you can't continue but fully understand your reasons. Just wanted to let you know I (and a lot of others I'm sure) are grateful for your efforts. Thanks.

3. AnonymousSpeed

AnonymousSpeed Pink Plastic Army Man

I agree. I am also one appreciative of the efforts you put forth with these maps. So, I shall make no fuss over your decision to step down, and I do respect it. Though I personally would have liked the opening post to stay the same, it is of little issue and I hope you have a better time with not doing this.

4. stormtrooper412

stormtrooper412 Peacemongering Turtlesaur

I am flabbergasted that such trivial matters made you doubt the great work you've put into this thing on a consistent basis. There are people here who can't really seem to understand that the whole point of all this is to have fun, and I've had about as much fun as ever with a video game. I mean, I browse these forums at work and honestly can't wait to finish my shift so I can DCL :)

5. Acken

Acken Deity

Consentient I'm willing to take over if you would continue to update the spreadsheet (or someone else)

Could you restore your original Isabella post though too and remove the other maps... ? Seems like a waste to give them all at once.

Also I must have missed something, it came suddenly. Too bad you got too emotionally involved in this I thought you were doing a good job.

6. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

I'm guessing someone probably sent a complaining e-mail to his account, or PM...
    Which, seriously, is stupid; if they don't like it they can roll their own maps or play by their own rules.

I really appreciate the work you've put in, consentient, but if you've had enough, I understand; regardless I am quite happy if Acken is willing to take the job.

The maps are given out, but it would be very confusing to have 4 maps in the same thread; so I think you can start 3 new threads for these maps.

7. tombakerwho

tombakerwho Chieftain

Consentient - I would have never tried OCC without your Babylon DCL map, and it turned out to be really fun, so many thanks! :goodjob:

8. the northman

the northman Chieftain

Sorry to see you're stepping down, consentient. I'm new to the DCL, but I've really enjoyed your maps so far.

9. consentient

consentient Domination!

Thanks to all for the kind words, but I've made my decision and want to step down. I will continue to update the spreadsheet, and will help Acken however he wishes. :)

I would ask that people do everything they can to support him :)

10. LordBalkoth

LordBalkoth Prince

Consentient, I hope that our discussions regarding abuses and multiplayer elsewhere on the forums weren't what were dragging you down. I've only played a few of the DCL maps but I appreciated the time and effort you put into them. Sorry to hear that you're stepping down.

11. consentient

consentient Domination!

I can't say that the MP discussions didn't contribute at all - after all, it's not nice to be told I don't know what I'm talking about when I'm single-handedly taking the developers to task for their negligence, which is far more widespread than the lucky people on this forum realise - but seriously, don't worry about it. It's time for me to take a back seat and concentrate on playing. :)

12. Sessy

Sessy Prince

sad to hear you stepping down, but maybe now you can spend a bit more time discussing random stuff with us :p

13. LordBalkoth

LordBalkoth Prince

I hope you do realize that our goal wasn't to be mean -- we honestly are trying to figure out what's going on as now (personally speaking) I'm up to a dozen friends with no serious issues besides the load bug, disconnection every now and then, and rarely a resynch. Yeah, it's annoying, but the only one that's been truly bad is the load bug for us (when the AI goes twice in a row when you load).

I mean, if you're our messiah bringing truth and light to Civ 5 multiplayer then I welcome it with open arms, but from our perspective it's hard to understand the issue (and it's not a lack of programming experience, I got my degree in Computer Science -- we just don't have any data on the issue).

Anyway, have fun just playing -- but I'm sure people would be happy to have you back organizing it if/when you feel better about the situation.

14. Nigel_Tufnel2

Nigel_Tufnel2 King

Thanks for hosting, Consentient! I really enjoyed watching the series develop. I'll echo tombakerwho - the OCC game was really fun.

15. consentient

consentient Domination!

I don't like that term, messiah, and anyway I'm just a guy with a decent track record in consumer advocacy and a determination not to let corporations get away with anything. People might think I'm wasting my time completely by pursuing this and getting Trading Standards involved, and maybe it will be a waste of time if their lawyers bribe the officials to look the other way or some such, but principles are very important for me.

16. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

Civ is a single player game.

17. consentient

consentient Domination!

Right, so it's wrong of the producers to label it otherwise! :(