The Deity Challenge Lineup - Game # 2 - America

DingleBirdy

Chieftain
The Deity Challenge Lineup - Game #2

Welcome to The Deity Challenge Lineup. This is a biweekly event with games being posted every other Friday. All games in this series will be set to DEITY difficulty. User civilizations, maps, and opponents will change with each challenge, but the pace will always be standard and starting era will always be ancient. We will try for a variety of starts, and not just having a crazy warmonger as your next door neighbor (although there will be that too). This isn't a competition so there will be no predefined victory conditions. There is an informal spreadsheet of previous challenge finishers that you can find at the bottom of this post.

DCL Game #2
You - America
Total Civilizations - 8
Total City States -16
Map – Continents
Settings – Quick movement and quick combat(turn them back on if you would like). Everything else is set to default.
Game Version - 1.0.3.144
Downloadable Content – G&K, BNW, Conquest of the New World Deluxe, Genghis Khan's Mongolia, Harold Bluetooth's Denmark, Isabella’s Sapin and Pachacuti's Incan Empire, Kamehameha's Polynesian Empire, Nebruchadnezzar's Babylon, Sejong The Great's Korea, Wonders of the Ancient World. The map pack are intentionally excluded.

Starting Location

The save can be found at the bottom of this post.

Who can play?
Anybody can play. The more the merrier. Even if you normally don't play deity games you are still welcome to try. The games can become great learning resources for the player trying to improve. Even if you don't finish the game, we are still interested to hear about your experience.

Do's and Don'ts
We are going to be using the honor system. Feel free to restart, reload, play the same game multiple times, but don't use the science overflow exploit. Also please don't edit the game in IGE. If you do chose to cheat, please don't share your results in the comments. Also, please use the spoiler tag if you post a picture, comment about neighboring civs, close by wonders, or locations of ancient ruins.

Also, please tell us about your Build Order, Social Policies, Tech Order, and what type of wonders you went after. I know a lot of this stuff seems pretty mundane to the experienced player, but the details are incredibly useful to people trying to learn.

Why no vc's? And what is the point if this isn't competitive?
Having freedom to do whatever suits you best, whatever suits the map best, freedom to experiment and even fool around is, probably, one the main appeals of these games. We have two restrictive types of games. Why would we need another speed race?

I obviously don't want to forbid people from proposing (deity challenges) but if at least one was aimed to regroup more people that would be great.

The Deity challenge series is not about winning as fast as possible imo, its just about people playing the same start and telling the story of their game, unlike for example HOF and GOTM.

If you have any more suggestions, or questions, please post them at the New Deity Challenge Series **Suggestion thread**

Future Games
I want users to submit saves from turn 0. Preferably the person submitting the game has played enough turns to know the map is either difficult, fun, or unique in some enjoyable way. Write a short description as to why it is special and email the save to DeityChallengeLineup@gmail.com

Lineup
Game #1 - June 20th as The Zulu
Game #2 - July 4th as America
Game #3 - July 18th
Game #4 - August 1st

Important
If you submit a game for the challenge, you must have the DLC map packs disabled. Not everybody has them and they are honestly kind of useless. Having them disabled will allow more participants.

DCL Finishers Spreadsheet

Attachments

• DCL#2 America.Civ5Save
    697.7 KB · Views: 529
Turns 0-100

Spoiler :

Happy 4th to all you Americans! It seems that is who we are playing this game so that makes sense. I seen this game up at around 9:30pm my time in Las Vegas and I was about to go to sleep but figured why not play the 1st 100 turns.

I took a few mins to decide where to put my capital. I didn't notice it was Cont Map till a few turns in. I wanted to head North and settle in that sweet spot on a hill but it would of taken 2 turns and I wanted the Mountain. Ofcourse William was up there and I would of taken his spot for his second city messing him up a bit. Oh well, Ill live with it. I stole 2 workers from him and never seen a caravan or another worker for some time so I gave him peace after somewhat of a long war. The Huns are to the South and they were mad at me for warmongering and they coveted my lands. Ofcourse a Trade Route into him and he decided to war Maya instead. Babylon is in the game and that appears to be all on our Cont. I seen some swords headed my way so I bribed Atilla to war Babylon in hopes of confusing him since he had no way to get over there. After his peace treaty expired with the Mayans I put him back to war with them as he made peace with Babylon.

My game has been a bit of a bore if anyone is hoping for some early action. Liberty was probably better here but I went Full Tradition this time. I built a few archers and upgraded them to CBs. I could of had the Oracle but opted to grow and build a later NC at around turn 80. I rush bought a Water Mill in the Capital. I hard built 2 settlers and founded NY and Boston to the East and West. I forgot to buy the xtra bananas at NY and Atilla stole them from me. I used my Caravans for gold/science instead of food to the Cap. I rush bought 2 libraries in my expos. I have almost 700 gold saved up and not sure what Im going to do with it. Im thinking of upgrading CBs to XBs and go have some wars. Im really up in the air of what I want to do next.

I kinda played around with the tech tree this time. I went out of my normal path and decided to get Sailing and Engineering. I was thinking of going to Machinery but opted to tech Theo instead. I built all markets in my cities and 1 turn away from a Cavanasary in the cap now. I didn't scout too much because Im just plain lazy. Anyway, I found all the info I need for now. Thats about it, time for some sleep and finish up next time! Oh I did get a panth which I decided to use God King this time and ofcourse I failed at getting a religion without trying.

Americans again ? (one of my few video LP is with americans :) ) .. Still they are a strong warmongering civ fun to play .. Haven't played continents in a loooooong while could be messy ..

Happy 4th of July. Starting this game postponed some much needed sleep since I have quite the to-do list tomorrow. Ehh sleep can wait I guess.

Spoiler :
Update Turns 1-138

I didn't go into this game with a specific victory condition in mind. It has honestly been a long time since I played a continents map, so I guarantee I am f**cking up on the naval aspect of this game.

I settled on the hill by the citrus. I am apparently blind and had no idea there was a mountain. Seriously it didn't register in my brain there was a mountain there until I finished guilds and thought, “Oh man, if only there was a mountain close by I could build Machu Picchu.” I think I was distracted by the early site of citrus and growth potential. Anyway, the spot I chose gave me food galore plus it cleared out the nasty jungle. The other benefit was that it put me in range of marble, citrus, ivory, bananas, horses, sheep, and deer. If I remember correctly I only hit two ruins. One was for 60 gold and the other was a bs barb camp locator. Upon finding my second ruin I met Attila, which meant he must have been close. That kind of told me the direction this game was going was xbows asap.

The first two CS's I met were religious, so I founded the pantheon of oral tradition. Then it occurred to me if I want to keep my pantheon I would need to found a religion too. I normally just let religion come to me, but this time I decided to make an attempt. I had a bbq earlier today that consisted of drinking quite a few beverages, so I think it be affecting my civ awareness. Anyway, I ended up founding three cities, mainly because I didn't have room to settle anywhere else. During this process I adopted liberty, stole a couple workers from William, a worker from Jerusalem, and built the pyramids. Throughout the first 100 turns I also allied myself with Geneva and was able to found the religion of Taoism.

The first leg of this game was spent paying Attila to stay at war with anyone besides me. It was seriously to the point where I was negative in gpt because of how much I had going out to Attila every turn. Once I got my first spy at turn 105 iirc, and after sending him to Babylon, I was informed that Attila was marching on my capital. I could no longer pay him to be at war with anyone else, so I liquidated what little I had to my ally William, and purchased two pikes to add to my army of 6 crossbows.

On turn 109 Attila declared war and absolutely overwhelmed me with his hoard. He had swords, battering rams, horse archers, knights, composites, and a couple cross bows. He had the biggest army in the game. I changed all my cities to full on military unit production mode. By turn 138 I had taken many casualties to pikes and horsemen which was the price I had to pay to keep my xbows safe. I thinned his massive army to the point where he was offering all his cities for peace. Instead I took Attila's Court and a nice 48gpt payout. Attila being Attila meant he had no wonders, but that's typical Attila. I'm glad I kept him at bay til I got xbows because I don't think I could have done it with composites.

As for now, I need to head over and kill the Mayans, and not because I want to go for domination this game, but they seem to be semi running away. They have 9 techs that I don't know yet, plus they have built every damn wonder in the game it seems. They could be difficult, but Pacal usually doesn't have that strong of a military. I have minutemen coming out in a minute and I'm going to start building roads. After I take him down I should be in the lead.

Here are some progress pics
Spoiler :

I kind of want to raze Titouan and settle my own city on the coast, but I also don't want to spend the turns building a settler. I'll put a pin in that one.

Attila's peace offering which should really help me out over the next few turns considering I lost basically all my melee and horse units.

It's nice to see Attila has the smallest army left considering where he started. You also see Pacal has discovered 11% more tech than me. I don't know what life choices Haile made, but he is behind me in tech.

Look at all those wonders he has. I'm sure by the time I finish with him that he'll have even more. I can't say for sure, but I think he built a couple of those wonders in his second city, so I might have to keep them both.

Update Turn 168

I'm an idiot for not going to bed, but I got sucked into this game a little bit.

Spoiler :
As I was building roads towards Tikal, The Mayans decided it was time to feast on the scraps of The Huns. Their army was marching towards the Hunnic owned Kathmandu and I decided there was no better time to start than when their military was completely exposed. My xbows and minutemen wiped out the marching army in just two turns. Afterwords I used my minutemen to peak over the hills to the east of Tikal to get a better look. There was nothing in the immediate area so I moved in with the xbows.

About 15 turns later and some casualties to a couple pikes and one minutemen, I captured Tikal which housed the Leaning Tower of Pisa and the Great Lighthouse. Pacal didn't handle this war very well as he was building The Forbidden Palace and Uffizi as I was killing his units and capturing his city. Yeah for me!

Palenque was was kind of an afterthought to the war. By the time I started raining down bolts on his capital, he had hardly a military left. What units he did have left were used as target practice for my less experience guys and finished off with minutemen. The city was defensed well enough that it still took several turns to ware down. On turn 168 I finally capture the Mayan capital and the prize was phenomenal.

-Uffizi
-Globe Theater
-Great Library
-Sistine Chapel
-Alhambra
-Angkor Wat
-Borobudur
-Chichen Itza
-Forbidden Palace
-Hagia Sophia
-Temple of Artemis
-7 great works

Now it's off to the number two guy in the land, William The About to be Slaughtered. I currently have 1245 points and he has 972. His wonders of note are Himeji and Notre Dame, so I'm going right after the capital first, then probably hit up Rotterdam. After that I will play it by ear. Babylon will probably not be taken by land, and I have a weak little navy right now. Oh yeah, I am going for a domination victory now.

Spoiler :

Capturing Palenque and I still have all six of my xbows alive and heavily upgraded.

A look inside the city that was actually difficult to take.

This city is unbelievable. I can't wait incorporate it into my empire in 11 turns.

Attila once again has a bigger army than me. Should I be worried? Also, I am closing the tech gap. I have one research agreement due on turn 176 and I have a great scientist sitting in my capital that I forgot about. Not sure if I should plant him or wait to bulb him later since I am planning to dominate.

Nice writeup.

Spoiler :
Your game so far is not even close to how mine is playing out. Naturally at the beginning of the game I sent Attila off to fight Pacal. As I'm empire building I get a notification that Tikal was captured. Like three turns after that Palenique was captured and they made peace. That did not go as planned. I just wanted to keep him busy for a bit and not turn into the super Huns.

Here are the updates for the rest of the game.

Update to turn 189

Spoiler :
As I sent my army north I was met with the surprise of Nebby denouncing me. He had been a long time ally who actually fought along side me against Pacal. I thought we were bros, but he f**ked me. At first I thought this was a wrench in my plans of fighting William first, but decided there was no other way. I couldn't get to Babylon without eliminating William, so my friendly relationship with William had to end. After 40 or so turns of moving my units north from Palenque, I declared war on the Dutch.

As I said in my last update, I was going to slip around Rotterdam to attack the capital instead of hitting the easier target. I made this decision because I knew that he built Notre Dame in his capital and taking it first would be a lot better for future happiness.

I declared war on William before I was ready to get in position. By doing this he sent his units to me which I easily dispersed. After wiping out his initial rush, I sat back with my ranged xbows and fired on his capital. Every once in a while he would send some units to battle, but I would destroy them with they xbows/minutemen not capable of attacking the city. By turn 189 I captured Amsterdam which had the Parthenon, Himeji, Notre Dame, and Stone Henge. Although I got his capital, he built the Louvre in Utrecht. That meant I had some more war to do which is fine since I needed a clear path to Babylon.

Update to Turn 229
Spoiler :
I was correct that Nebby would be difficult to take down. I dropped a citadel outside of Dur-Kurigalzu in order to build some roads through the rough terrain to his east. By this time I had two artillery firing from 3 out. Unfortunate I lost a couple upgraded minutemen in this battles to Babylon because he had frigates helping out from the ocean.

I always find this part of the the game to be very interesting because I find myself being more protective of my super upgraded gatling guns than I am of my rifles and gwi's. I know how these games play out and know the future is for artillery and gunpowder units, but I have an emotional attachment to my crew of six original archers.

In the end I was able to take Babylon on turn 229 and my prize was the Colossus. He had the Oracle and Taj Mahal built in Akkad, but neither of those were worth continuing the war. I just got open borders from Monty, the only person left that has a nice thing to say about me. I'll use those open borders to attack Ethopia, the leader that everyone is at war with.

Also, I opened Freedom on t207 because I wanted the six free foreign legion, then decided I didn't need them. Oops, that was a waste.

I'm basically number one in everything. I don't think I ever lose the tech lead after this.

Update to Turn 249

Spoiler :
During the trip from my continent to the next, I noticed that Monty had Kilimanjaro inside his borders of Tlaxcala. A short diversion for most my units for something so powerful was not something to skip out on. Surprisingly Haile asked if I was there to declare war on him. The funny thing is that I didn't think I was too close to his borders for him to be asking. In fact he was inside Aztec borders fighting when he asked. I said yes and the war started.

I took Gondar first, because it was a much easier target and I needed a home base in the new land. From there I spent some time thinning out his Mehal Safari units, then started with the artillery on his Addis Ababa. By turn 249 I owned his capital and I'm pretty sure he only has two units left. I just built three B-17's, so those should be useful. I also have tanks right around the corner and I'm the tech leader. These last two civs don't really stand a chance. The one thing is that Monty is friendly with me and I have to hurt him. I'm going to buy a couple great scientists so I can bulb my way to rocket artillery.

Hey, the ai built a good petra city!

Uh oh, I don't have the biggest military anymore.

Turns 258 to 269

Spoiler :
Before declaring on Monty I waited a few turns so I could upgrade my three artillery to rocket artillery, and to get my bombers to Addis Ababa. My guilt about dowing Monty faded when he denounced me one turn before I intended to start the fight. My assault started on Adwa, and I was able to capture that in two turns. It would have been one, but I needed to get gwi's in position.

Then I moved to Calixtlhuaca and ripped that one to shreds in just a couple turns as well. Rocket Artillery are damn awesome. As I got closer to Tenochtitlan I realized Morocco was moving a gwi into position to take the capital. I had to rush in and burn a GG to give my gwi access to the road leading to his capital. I literally fired one shot from my RA and was able to capture a capital. Some might call it cheesy, but I call it opportunistic. I sued Monty for mega peace when I got him to give me 46gpt and to declare war on everyone else. He thanked me for being so gracious. About this time I realized I had three bombers sitting in Addis Ababa that I hadn't used. That was certainly silly of me. Oh well, now that we fixed that small oversight we can be really overpowered.

After taking the Aztec capital I sent all my workers and RA's to build railroads on the rough terrain outside of the Moroccan owned Teotihuacan. He asked if I wanted war and I said no. Then I fired anyway and took the city in one turn. I looked east on the next turn and to the city of Tlatelolco but decided to beat in down but not take it. I also gave Ethiopia Gondar back for happiness reasons.

Anyway, moving into Marrakech was a nightmare. Ahmad had probably 15 great war bombers flying around so he was able to kill off quite a few units. Iirc he killed one tank, one RA,two battleships, and I think one or two infantry. I didn't mind though because there is nothing left to lose when going after the final cap. After a little maneuvering I was able to get two RA's within range of his capital. That along with my bombers and I was able to take his capital in just a handful of turns. I won the game on turn 269.

Posting this one because I forgot to take a pic when I captured the city. This shows where I dropped the citadel to gain road access. The whole war happened so fast that I kind of forgot to slow down and save the game.

I was the runaway in this game.

I kind of wish this was listed in turns instead of year.

Final thought

Spoiler :
-I should have spread playing this game out over a few days. Now I exhausted and have a 4th of July party to attend.
-The upgraded minutemen to infantry with altitude training is the sh*t.
-What is up with only one civ having a coastal capital? Is that normal for continents games? Monty's cap just pissed me off because two spots right or two spots left was coast.
-I hardly used the b-17's, because by the time I had them I was fighting on the other coast. I had some built and sitting in cities, but never got around to using them.
-If Monty had not given me open borders I would have needed a much bigger navy.
-I'm mainly a pangaea player, but I had a lot of fun on this map. I liked being at wars with these mid late game units. Usually my domination games are either early or really late.

Turns 101-201

Spoiler :
Everything has been pretty quiet in my game. The Huns and Maya have been at war the whole game but it has been a huge stalemate. I put William at war once with Babylon and that was enough. Everyone wanted to be my DOF so I had no problems with that. Ofcourse right after Babylon and I got chummy, the Huns had enough and Denounced me for no reason. I've always been planning on killing them anyway and onto Pacal to get all those Wonders he built. I basically worked on infrastructure and some Army mixed in for defense just in case. I decided to build Machu Picchu. I don't usually like that since it takes about 14 turns away from other things but I did it anyway and got it. I had RAs flowing with all DOFs (William,Babylon,Pacal,Ethiopia, and Morocco... Monty asked but I declined) so no need to Oxford Dynamite this game. Im still pretty much all over the tech tree and 1 tech ahead of all AI for the time being. I decided not to beeline Plastics like I usually do and I headed up to Biology instead. Maybe I'll actually build some archaeologists for a change of pace. I did this also because I want hospitals and I always forget that in my games.

Around turn 170 the Huns decide they want my land and my blood. I had 6XBs, 3LSs, 2Pikes, and 2 Scouts for defense. The land is pretty good for defense (IMO). I managed to ally up with Kathmandu, Geneva, and Jerusalem. Kathmandu has been a champ and causing many problems for the Huns. The Maya decided to join in and try to vulch Attila but made peace a shot time later with no avail. The war has been about 30 turns and I defended pretty easily but I lost all melee units and 1XB. Now the fun starts I rush bought 3 Arts and upgraded 1 cannon. I built another art and am attacking but it seems the Huns have another rush of units and hopefully I will chew through them soon. Im pretty lazy to try to win via Domination on Cont Map let alone Pangea lol! I want the game to go into later turns anyway to use the B-17s. Im never in a rush to win or lose anyway. I also rush bought all 3 Workshops. I've been rush buying alot in this game since the gold is flowing pretty good for my standards. Ofcourse the gpt is low now since I've had alot of loans to fund my war. All in all the game is a slower build up than the last one but thats ok because as always I have fun no matter what. Time to take a break and finish up later. Hope to see all your games soon!

My Armed Forces: I have 5Gats, 5Arts, 2Pikes, 2Generals, and 3 Gals that I am going to upgrade to Frigates ASAP. I usually don't upgrade all my XBs like this but like I say the gold has been flowing pretty good this game.

Social Policies: Full Tradition, Opened Patronage, Straight Down the Left Side of Rationalism since I have the PT and 5 DOFs/RAs. I want to get to Scholasticism and finish Ratio ofcourse. I haven't decided on Ideology. I usually let the AI get all of that going so I can choose better but I might be the first to Ideology this game so thats good too for the xtra choices. I lost WF but I did get a free SP which is always nice.

Here's my empire on turn 46:

Spoiler :
This game could end in failure pretty quickly. I decided to be extremely greedy and forward-settle Attila hard. I think I'm safe for now -- I paid him to DOW the Maya a turn ago, and hopefully that'll keep him busy long enough for me to get Composites. (He was attacking some barbs nearby, so his stuff is still around my capital.) But we'll see how it goes. Current army composition is 1 Spear, 1 Warrior, 2 Archers. I have 3 more Archers building and am going for Construction before Philosophy.

I only hit one ruin this game (Spearman Upgrade), which is pretty disappointing, especially as America. But I was able to worker steal from the Netherlands on around turn 6, and I was the first to meet 4 different religious city states, so I got a free pantheon very quickly. Grabbed Sun God and my cities should start growing quickly now that I'm out of unhappiness and momentarily done with Settlers. I'll probably settle one more city on the coast to the east, between the two fish.

My units have been very productive. I slew a barb camp that both Jerusalem and Budapest wanted gone, and managed to return captured workers to both city-states as well, so I'm at about 100 influence with each. I also kept a captured Mayan settler-worker from a camp, which gained me influence from... whatever the faith city-state to the southwest is.

I just picked up Monarchy in Tradition and now I'm going to go into Piety (for funsies :)). I'd like to keep Sun-God and the abundance of Religious city-states mean I should be able to found a pretty powerful religion. The Maya are the only one on my continent who seem interested in religion -- they built Stonehenge on turn 20 (!!!) and are in Piety themselves. But they could get crushed by Attila, so I think there's a realistic chance of spreading my religion far and wide, assuming I get one.

This is shaping up to be a pretty fun game, if I survive. I just need to make sure not to get Attila'd. :)

Attachments

• 'MURICA.jpg
    'MURICA.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 623
Turns 202-250

Spoiler :

The war of attrition was on and went strong until Atilla's Cap fell on turn 239! I never thought I would see the end of so many rifles. I couldn't get any help from the Maya and I said that Pacal will pay for that down the road. I took control of Jimma once and lost it a few turns later and it took a good 10 turns or so to take it for good. I planned on burning it to the ground after I had Attila's Cap but I decided to keep it for the time being while happiness was good. Once again I asked my friends to fund my war and I upgraded to 5 Rock Arts and some Machine Gunners as well. I had a frigate on Pacal's backside to plunder his cargo ships but I got greedy and started the war 1 turn too soon and that Frigate met his doom. I was thinking I have these high tech weapons and he still has cannons so who cares if I lose a sneaky Frigate. I messed up a bit with the loan gold and am -40gpt right now but next turn I will get +20gpt back so I should be ok. As you see in this pic it is a very unfair fight but that doesn't bother me the least. I will have Satellites up in 2 turns and ofcourse I'll build Hubble next. The game is over now and just a matter of how I want to win this one. Anyway I have 1 B-17 and that bomber is awesome, I want some more :) ! So Im just going to try to head to Pacal's Cap and take it down and get peace and go from there. The game is fun but as always Conts Map is tough on the AI for tech but it still is a nice change of pace for me. The Aztecs got rolled and Ethiopia and Morocco are in a deadlock for world domination.

I bought a faith GE and rushed the Kremlin. Everyone pretty much went Order so I followed the crowd on that and Order is my favorite anyway. I finished Ratio early and am 2 deep into Order and my culture is very low this game but I think that will change soon. I was slightly worried William would get mad at me since he and Pacal are friends but so far so good. He declared war on Attila for some reason, I guess to help out Pacal. The game is going pretty easy so if anyone that doesn't play alot of Deity I think this is a good map to try it out. Time for some lunch and a nap.

Manpanzee - why settle Boston there?

Spoiler :
Lots of good dirt -- Wine, 2 Ivory, 2 Horses, Wheat, 2 Bananas. Obviously it's vulnerable to attack from Attila, but I'm planning on going on the offensive against him ASAP anyway. I don't want him developing next to me unimpeded. If it's going to come to war, I'd rather take the good spot and forward-settle HIM than let him take the good spot and forward-settle ME.

to t100

Spoiler :

In some ways this is a very similar map to the last one: we are scrunched inbetween multiple AIs, but with good dirt.

I moved Washington south onto the hill by the Citrus and Sheep. The mountain is temping, but I can't see any good tiles in the 1-ring ...

Early scouting reveals that the Dutch and Huns are very, very close. I stole 2 workers from William, but Attila is the real problem. His anti-civilization cannot be allowed to survive.

This means war :ar15:

He is close and on accessible flatland so: Liberty -> Republic -> Collective Rule.

Building Archers while collecting exploration cash, and meeting a plethora of religious city states. Took God-King for maximum ramp up speed.

Ready (5 CBs, 1 Chariot Archer, 2 Warriors, 2 Scouts, and a Worker I'm not too fond of).

Many dead Hunnish units later (and losing 2 scouts, 1 war, and 1 CB)

After that it was building back up infra for a bit, while XP farming San Diego. I think some building is in order as I will need considerable tech to march to the other continent. Added a couple cities, and built NC. No wonders.

Pacal has been going religious spammy -- and its a good one (God of the Open Sky, Pagodas, Religious Centers, AND Jesuit Edu .... yeah, come on in :D )

To Olodune:
Spoiler :
Very nice and fast... man you rolled the huns lol!!

Turns 251-326

Spoiler :

Once again I failed at any type of a real plan. Yes I planned on killing Atilla and Pacal or at least taking those Capitals but I was all over the place this game. I kinda wanted to win via Diplo but Ethiopia was a monster and had some CS's at 400 and 500 influence. The war with Maya proved to be a little bit of a problem. It seemed like they produced 6 GWIs very fast and I had to back off as I was about to take the Capital. I took the 7gpt peace deal and waited for nukes. I swore I would go back and take his Capital just because I could! 15 turns or so later I sold the farm and bought 3 nukes. It still took some time but I took Tikal and Palenque at about turn 280-290ish. White peace after that and teched up and built the parts in my Cap and Attila's Court. By the way I never built one Hospital so I have no idea why I went up to Bio instead of beelining Plastics lol!

All of the loan gold that I got for nukes and what not kinda crashed any idea of a DV. I actually teched up to Globalization very early for my game but had to go back to boring old SV. We had 4 WL votes maybe 5. I messed up the Sydney Opera House and by the time I had 3 turns left I heard that sound and William beat me to it. I should of had it easy with my Faith GE but I didn't think about it till 15 turns too late. I ended up getting 6 deep into Order anyway a few turns later to get the shuttle built a little faster. I played this game like most of my games. I had some wars. I had some DOFs. The two wars slowed me down and I played this game for hours and hours. However like usual I won over 300 turns but if they are going to make the AI not be able to win before turn 350 or so I am not going to be pressed to win in a timely manner. I do miss the days of turn 40 DOW and sometimes getting rolled. Those days seem long gone but maybe they will change the AI to do that again. I wanted to work on my Warmonger game with bootcamps and other tactics but I fell back into my same old routine. I will try to get a faster finish time one of these days lol. Anyway, still fun and I appreciate the game being up every two weeks and I hope it stays like that for a long time. Looking forward to the next one and hopefully a Budweiser Challenge inbetween. (Deity Civfanatics Record now at 6-3)

Thanks for the map OP! (you picked a sadistically difficult one though, in hindsight)
Spoiler :
Turned out being a pretty crazy game.

Spoiler :

Wasn't really happy with my starting terrain (very few resources in sight and also what looks like jungle to the south) so when my warrior picked up a map ruins ... I had an idea :devil: (see my other thread)

Spoiler :

I would've preferred to pick a less-friendly AI for my victim (since he would've been a great friend afterwards because of his flavor) but it can't be helped...

Spoiler :

You'd be surprised how vulnerable an AI is when they lose their starting warriors. The city proved helpless in stopping a single marauding scout.

Spoiler :

I don't intend to wipe anyone out (esp with so many other civs on my continent) as I don't know how to go domination. So I settled for this. The Dutch now have no luxes and barely any farmland (although I felt bad about depriving the people of Amsterdam of their pot--I mean incense :p ). William has been effectively removed from the game. Boston is hardly ideally placed but I needed that mountain in case Atilla comes for me.

Spoiler :

I had avoided settling where Borsippa is now which is the coastal spot with citrus and bananas (simply because of Atilla) and Nebby was happy to take the spot himself. I was happy to let him have it. That gave me a good excuse to let them fight each other. Got friendship with Babylon. Unfortunately I had underestimated how much rivers help in growing; I thought the lakes around Washington would provide me with enough food to grow but in the end this is one of the times where I have the smallest capitol I've had at this turn number ever since my deity days. My tech is very slow but because my capitol's terrain is bad (forced to work a lot of grassland farms for 3 food so I can run my guilds), my tech is behind and I failed to get ANY wonders aside from Hagia (although I was too late to found a religion the +6 faith proved very useful in getting those cathedrals up) Pacal gave me +1 culture from pastures, cathedrals, and most importantly divine inspiration. Little did he know that one single belief would give me the win. (didn't even found a pantheon because I was never the first to meet those religious CS). Lost Sistine by 2 turns, lost Louvre before I even got the tech. CV was looking dire.

Spoiler :

Oxforded into radio. I of course, picked Freedom (hey I'm playing USA on July 4th and you expect me to have Washington become a commy?) Afterwards I ran the bottom of the tech tree because even civil society did not accelerate growth enough for my tastes. I burnt faith GE for Eiffel.

Spoiler :

As I said above, I was forced to tech to fertilizer before plastics. However, the AI's tech speed seemed rather slow this game. But once I got the tech (which increased my capitol's food by around 20+ in a single turn :lol: ) , I quickly caught up in population. ~70 food will help a lot. Notice my abysmal production though.

Spoiler :

Late, late, late, late, super late to Plastics (in the end I swerved up to archaeology for landmarks before the denouncements come; afterwards I bought 5 of Nebby's coal, leaving him at 2 copies so he cannot adopt ideology until Modern) btw, it's nice to see my people be of one accord. Everyone seems to agree that silver is awesome. (apparently someone spread a rumor about silver being an aphrodisiac or something)

Spoiler :

And Monty had loads of silver :lol: how fortunate! Apparently his warmongering ways didn't sit well with the neighbors on the other continent and they didn't trade luxes with him it appears; he had 5 copies.

Spoiler :

Fast forward, the world except for William had adopted ideologies, Ethiopia went Autocracy after Aztecs went Order. Huns went Order, Babylon went Autocracy. High culture and tourism from Ethiopia caused both Orders to flip to Autocracy. The world is burning and engulfed by war, but my empire was unscathed. (landmarks + WC control = everyone loves me!) btw I owe it all to one amazing woman: my spy Virginia. EIGHT successful 60-80% coups before I decided to "retire" her to just rigging mere elections because I really didn't want to lose her. Morocco eliminated, Huns wiped almost out, Dutch consigned to a snow city where he lived out the rest of his days at 7 pop and in the renaissance.

Spoiler :

REALLY, HAILLE? After my musicians are on cruise ships halfway across the Pacific and then you decide to open up a branch company there? UGHHH! Why couldn't you have done that 10 turns sooner and saved my GM's the long swim?

Spoiler :

Victory! I had to make the most painful decision of my CV days; bought a GE and burnt him on Broadway sometime around t200. I missed Sistine, Louvre (and never mind the PP wonders or Uffizi) and there was no way I was going to go past 500 tourism max. So I needed it and built GM guild and filled it with 3 works. Turns out to be the correct decision though. I had no hope of winning IG when the AI has 12938291038092 cities and I'm sitting on my usual three. :)

Spoiler :

47k from Ethiopia. Look at William though :lol: And Maya and Huns :lol: btw I had to have my satellites help out with some of the wonders because my capitol has very low production until SoL came online (which I built in New York :lol: how fitting, just like in real life)
I also realize how powerful the 50% happiness to culture SP in Aesthetics really is midgame when you are going tall and small. Sitting on 30 happiness boosted my culture income by close to 40-50% and helped loads in getting those SPs out. Also can you believe I did not build a SINGLE worker all game and that all my slaves-I mean unionized labor employees in our civil democratic system are of Dutch Heritage? (SEVEN workers, including two former settlers and one caravan taken, as well as some good farmland with 2 luxes... this game was a victory for cheese!)

Spoiler :

WOW KB! Very Nice CV again. I agree with Tommynt that CV is just a pain and will not bother with it lol! However I can respect what you do and what goes into it. I loved the comment about playing USA and not going Communist LOL! Ofcourse I made my Empire Commie up anyway and I put Boston in the Siberian Gulag and they were starving the whole game! Also... amazing spy really!! I don't think I have ever had a spy coup more than 3 times without meeting deaths door. I don't even try to coup anymore with 85% because usually I have influence with that CS and I don't like the risk/reward even at those odds! 8 coup's in a row!! That has to be a record... has anyone beat that without reloading? Has anyone even tried??

So I went back into the game because I was curious what would of happened if I went North like I wanted to instead of setting up camp by the mtn!? Well I actually did what KB suggests you can do about 25% of the time. On turn 4 William had his settler protected and 2 other warriors next to him. I settle on the cotton and move my warrior to the hill because I could not survive a DOW at that time. I get the free pop ruin as I settle. On turn 5 the 2 warriors run away and leave the settler unprotected. I may play this game out some but I really like this early wandering. It reminds me so much of Civ Rev! Even though I have finished my first game and have knowledge of the map I may play this out 100 or so turns to see if I can take out my Cont before meeting the other Cont with this style. So do you see this happen alot KB? Does the AI seem to just stop protecting it's settler when you steal it's place to settle? Turn 7 the AI is just happy to line up its warriors and die!!

So all the other civs meet me by this turn (35), however William is in big trouble. I've managed to kill his army after he retreated and I worker baited him twice to kill his archer that was inside the capital. Now like KB says the AI likes to build settlers and we see his first one out on turn 35! After I steal this it will be 4 free workers and some plunder gold and XP farm for my archers! Turn 45 William lost another archer and a catapult. He decides to give me another settler/worker! I have a GG and planning on land grabbing the Marble to the South. Now at turn 51 with 5 workers, 5 archers, 1 warrior, 1 scout. I rush bought a settler with the 500 gold and Im way over the unit limit but I think having some super archers soon will compensate for the low science and other problems. Speed is the key and I am kinda slow at this. Also you can see Im repair/plundering all of Williams hexes. Notice William just got a caravan like KB says in his original post about this!

Turn 55 and he puts out another settler in the same spot! That is 3 now so after he built an archer and a catapult it seems he goes caravan/settler! Turn 59, he builds another Catapult and loses it on turn 60 to a retreat/worker bait. By turn 65 he built a horseman and I was in a vulnerable position and lost 2 archers which is a huge no-no! It is obvious I need more practice at this but I still have 2 level 4 archers and 2 archers at level 3. I still feel I can do what I want if I can get 2 or 3 with logistic/range promos. Turn 100 and almost have the logistic promos on 3 CBs. It looks like I'll have the NC up at turn 104. William has 2 Caravans and will not release them. I tried to withdrawl all troops 4 hexes away from his borders but he still will not send them out. Im pretty slow at this but I thought it was something fun and new to try. Im sure Liberty is way better here but I tried with Tradition for this first attempt. Not too bad with 3 cities and good luxes for happy and trade. Im sure I can go many ways with this game from here. Im sure that it is pretty late compared to other styles and strategies but like I say this was just something for me to test and I thought I would put up some pics on my trial run. Since the AI tech slower on Cont. Maps I am not worried about being 12% behind right now.

Up to turn 122 now and it seems being far behind in tech is making my spy steal faster. That might not be true for every game but this game that Im replaying it seems to be the case. The spy is stealing a tech every 3-6 turns now. Im about ready to upgrade to XBs and I am at war with William and Jerusalem as well for the XP. I did get DOFs from the Huns and Babylon. I probably shouldn't of accepted but it is hard to pass up the lump sum gold options.

Edit: I ran this game up to about turn 130 with more XBs and Pikes and Horses. I made some more mistakes which is expected. This was more of a "fun" trial run at KBs idea. I liked it and I can see how it can work or backfire on you. I feel it is very high risk/high reward! I can't say it is more optimal than your standard proven strategies but I can say it is very fun to mess around with. Since I was not playing this game blind I decided to save it and store it away in the vault but I thought it would be nice to share with you all. I may just have to try this out for real in one of the future challenges!

LOL Dingle Birdy:
Spoiler :
I can understand the disdain (Rodney Dangerfield Complex) no doubt! However I would rather win than lose by this science bailout as in my first attempt. Also, like I said before all they have to do is make the AI run away and win by turn 275 and I will stop my relaxed/no care approach. Also, it is not like I just turtled the whole game and blasted off. I was at war for 40% of the game and I took control of 2 capitals but in the end Im a bit too lazy to do some of the things that can be done.

Well i saw this thread yesterday while randomly browsing the civ fanatics forum and i thought: "Well, about 6 months without Civ, lets try it again."

I must say i became terribly rusty at the game in these 6 months and made some terrible decisions but nevertheless achieved a 315 SV

Spoiler :

Spoiler :
First of all i scouted the whole continent after settling next to that mountain (weill the spot is not great but i was a science loving kind of player so old habits i guess)

After Scouting the continent i realised that a peaceful option would be nearly impossible (i am amazed by kb27787 that he managed one) so i tried to get some CBs with a classical tradition opening going.

As i said i was terribly rusty and i got DoW'ed by Attila which i could easily defend with my archer but a counterattack led to a conquered city but with his 1723 Battering rams he easily snatched it back into his territory.
After killing 1723+1 Battering Rams i was able to get Attilas 2nd city and his capital around turn 120 where the CBs where outdated and i was teching to Education so i could not achieve further conquering.

So i set myself at a peaceful and nice pace and got techleader around T160 and was developing nice when **** got real.
Triple DoW from Pacal, Willam and Attila. The war lasted basically until the end of the game with some minor 10 Turn pauses when one of the warmongers made a truce into backstab.

In the first ~40 Turns i was able to withstand with some XBows and random units while building some wonders behind (Pisa, PT).
But slowly the three bastards grinded through the tech tree and i was in need of better units. So i used two spare Scientists and Oxford to reach plastics and Flight ~T220 and could barely defend a new massive wave of units from Willam with some newly aquired Bombers.

After that point my biggest problem was defending with minimal units while trying to keep the happiness (which was a major problem later with -32 from ideologies, Order was not very popular, 6 AIs going autocracy -.-) and food growth going for the science.

To make things short, i struggled to keep me alive and was forced to trade 2 Cities (Rotterdam and De Hague around T300) and Attilas Capital (2 Turns before win) to Babylon because i was overrun but in the end my two main cities were able to pull through and got the science win.

But it was not a very nice game and i did not take screens meanwhile because i was sure i will loose at some point but reloading or replaying from scratch was not an option.

In hindsight it would have been much more intelligent to attack Willam at the start because the position would have been much easier defendable. But afterwards you are always wiser.

All in all a very nice map and for my first Deity try in some months, i am satisfied that i won :D

Top Bottom