1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[RD] The Democratic Nomination

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by onejayhawk, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Well he's on his heels a little bit because of the "qualified to be President" boondoggle. He read an article that was headlined "Hillary questions Bernie's qualification to be President" and retaliated by stating the she was not qualified to be President. Then when it came out that she never said that, and the headline was just sensationalizing her campaign essentially saying that they were going to start attacking him, and try to disqualify him and defeat him in the minds of voters. So then he had to backtrack and actually admit that "Of course she is qualified to be President."

The corner that Bernie is in, is that Hillary has so much to attack, but he tied his hands behind his back by "taking the high road." It got him a ton of goodwill early on, but he has basically ridden that donkey for all its worth :deadhorse:. Hillary saw the corner he was boxing himself into, and she just went along with it... "Oh you want to stay positive? Ohhhh Kaaaay:confused: fine, we can do that" because she knew that in the end staying positive benefits her, probably more than him.

Now is the time where he needs to pivot to attacks and negative ads, but he can't, because he built this huge house of cards on the illusion that he is "different" from "typical" and "establishment" politicians and that he "sticks to the issues"... its his whole brand. So now he is desperately trying to bait her into "provoking" him so he has some moral high ground to go negative. He said (paraphrasing) "If they think we small town Vermonters don't know how to go negative... we can learn fast", again, implying that he will only do it if "she starts it." Please:rolleyes: you wish. Why would Hillary accept that bait? She has him right where she wants him, trapped in the corner that he painted himself into. He needs to go negative to catch up, but he can't unless she does first... which she won't because she doesn't need to when she's already winning.

2. metalhead

metalhead Angry Bartender

Of course he's going to say it was "his idea." More extensive comments of his are rather revealing.

I mean, you can play semantics as to whose idea the actual invitation was, but it's quite clear that this was initiated by the Sanders campaign, and that the invitation was solicited. I think it is a terrible miscalculation by the campaign - Bernie's biggest asset as a candidate is that his appearances seem to move votes, in a way no other candidate seems capable of doing. He's going to red-eye to Rome and miss an entire day of campaigning - on a Friday night, no less - to speak for 10 minutes to a small academic conference, 4 days before a primary that is of critical importance to his campaign. And it will kill any momentum he might gain from a strong debate performance, all to turn a small conference into a crapshow and nakedly pander to Catholics? I really don't see the upside to this at all.

3. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I had already disagreed with you, thus being marked as a bloodthirsty fascist, so nothing was actually added.

For the record "unless you sit on your hands and cry quietly you are a bloodthirsty fascist" is a pretty silly way to think you can get through life on a planet dominated by predators.

Whatever man. If you have no ability to perceive scale it isn't in me to teach it to you.

4. metalhead

:lol: That was so baffling. "They think we're from a small state and we won't fight back!" Uh, wtf? Who thinks that, and who, anywhere, has said a thing about you being "from a small state?" You've been saying you're from New York, and I think when you talk that is abundantly clear.

They spent 3 days saying in essence, "I know you are, but what am I?" in response to a name nobody had called them in the first place. They also called every Democrat including the current sitting president and vice president "unqualified" to be president. That and the NYDN interview destroyed their good press coming off Wisconsin. It will be interesting to see if they can rebound this week.

5. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

I was referring to someone different actually.
    Your comments remind me disturbingly of Teddy Roosevelt, who oversaw the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people in the Philippines like a good "man in the arena" does, so don't feel like you're being left out :D

I have to admit I am a bit disturbed that you characterize my distaste for unnecessarily killing thousands of innocent people as a demand to 'sit on your hands and cry quietly.'

6. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Well, you do seem to condemn literally everything else.

Admittedly, my perspective is shifted by having faced the realities of "if it ain't a hundred million it ain't really killing," so I do find your distaste quaintly naive.

7. Sommerswerd

Thanks for reminding me of something else... The whole "I'm from New York" thing. I mean he is originally from Brooklyn, so he gets to claim NYC all day, fine... but he moved to Chicago (that's another funny/ironic tidbit) when he was around 18, right? Then he came back to NY for a couple (about 4) years before permanently moving to Vermont. He's 74, now so he's been a Vermonter for like 50 years. Why does he still have a NYC accent?

I mean, my mother-in-law has a very heavy French accent despite living in the US for about 30 years, but I know why. She wants people to know that she is foreign. It is her very noticeable rejection of fully being "American." She wants to keep her accent to feel authentic to her heritage. And she spends most of her free time hanging out with her original countrymen who are the same way. Is that what is going on with Bernie? He lives in VT but he wants to "represent" NYC? So those VT country-folk always remember that he's a big-time NYC city slicker? I mean he says "YUUGE" as much as the Donald does.

8. Light Cleric

Light Cleric ElCee/LC/El Cid

Because that's how accent work?

It's really freaking' hard to change your accent after a certain age, and almost impossible for a lot of people. Your mother-in-law might not be able to get rid of that accent if she wanted to.

Why would he need to consciously work to change it, anyway?

9. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

I can't help but imagine Tim in Firebat gear now.

10. metalhead

Most people who live in a certain place for as long as Bernie has lived in Vermont will lose their native accent and adopt the local accent over time, unless they consciously try to avoid doing so. Thus raising the question, why has Bernie tried to keep his Brooklyn accent all these years?

11. Light Cleric

I'd be interested to see your sources for this happening with adults. Everything I've read is that you have to make a conscious effort to change.

This is going to be blunt but this looks incredibly petty for Clinton supporters. Maybe the guy's accent just hasn't changed because it didn't change. Not every single aspect about a person or their actions is a conscious decision they made for you guys to play armchair psychologist but it sure seems that way when it comes to Bernie.

12. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

Do you really want to turn a thread where both Owen and I post into a discussion on linguistics?

13. Light Cleric

No, I was attempting to explain how stupid this subject is and move on.

Don't make me post a Hillary "I ain't no ways tired" video because we can go down the petty route if that's where this is going

I will turn this car around

14. Farm Boy

Farm Boy The trees are actually quite lovely.

Why not? It's ripe identity politics/bigotry accusation fodder.

15. Sommerswerd

RIGHT?!?!? :lol: I was thinking EXACTLY the same thing when he made that post about the effectiveness of bombastic claims and outrageous attacks... in other words, the necessity of fighting fire with fire...

"ssss, pah... Fight fire with fire!"
    "ssss, pah... Ready to Roast!"
    "ssss, pah... Mmmm barbecue Time!"
    "ssss, pah... Mmmm Let's get cookin'!"

16. metalhead

You can dig up videos of just about every politician doing this to some extent, I'm willing to bet.

Accent mimicry is a well-known phenomenon, and I'd bet money that politicians are the type of people most likely to engage in it. Perhaps Bernie never really lost his Brooklyn, but I'd actually be surprised if he wasn't showing it a lot more campaigning in NY than he has elsewhere.

His 2006 victory speech in Vermont sounds quite different from how he's talking now. For example.

Link to video.

17. Takhisis

Takhisis april's fool

Keep your hands away from that keyboard, sir.
    :lol:
    In my mind, Firebats are those from the original StarCraft… let's BURN! But seriously, nuclear fire? Teal-coloured Terrans FTW.

18. NetGear

NetGear King

If anything mimicking is done on a local level. And nearly indistinguishable if you live long enough. Native accents are with you for life.

19. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

Now I can agree with that thar.
    We've fruitlessly grasped for that star.
    Where's that John or Jane
    Who'll boldly campaign
    On keeping things just as they are?

20. Sommerswerd

I don't think the subject is stupid. I didn't mention it because I thought it was some big deep revealing revelation about Bernie, but I was curious to see if people had thoughts about why he kept such a thick accent. I'm leaning towards "because he wanted to for some reason" and I wanted to see if folks had ideas about the reason. You seem to be settled on "because once you have an accent its locked in and doesn't change without a conscious effort to do so." That's a perfectly reasonably conclusion too. I just don't buy it in this case, because my anecdotal-fu says otherwise. I know for a fact that the mother-in-law keeps the accent intentionally because she told me so.
    :lol:I'm reminded of what Carrie Fisher said when asked if she would be sporting the gold and maroon slave-girl outfit from Ep 6... "Yeah, no. Nobody wants to see that."
    My favorite SC1 Firebat lines are "Need a light?", "You got my attention" and "Naturally" :D