1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

the democratic party

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game: Citizens' started by admiral-bell, Oct 29, 2005.

1. admiral-bell

admiral-bell Chronic Lurker

the democratic party stands for strong goveronment, democracy and abolishment of voting blocks. Privilages: choosing of party policy, campaining under our banner, and a place for petitioning.:hatsoff:
    post if you wish to join.

members:
    Black Hole
    CivGeneral
    Tboy
    Stilgar08
    Alphawolf

2. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

Althogu tradtionally we have never had Political partys in the demogames it isnt against the (non exsistant) law. So although i wont join i do welcome the democratic party and hope to a cooperative future between your political party and the freinds of the freinds.

3. admiral-bell

very well. but you appear to be a voting block yourself

4. uubry

uubry Deamon Deacon

One can be in a voting blocks and not vote with them ALL the time...

5. admiral-bell

is anyone going to join?

6. Tboy

Tboy Future world ruler

You have yourself a member, admiral-bell.

7. Nomad Bryce

Nomad Bryce Innovian UU Cannon Turtle

This is a voting block itself. It sounds like you are trying to form a one party state. I hate parties.

8. admiral-bell

@tboy: welcome

@Nomad Bryce: we will only petition party policy. members can also run against us and keep their membership

9. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Chieftain

count me in!! :) I think the purpose is important and your objectives are a good goal to pursue! :)

For prevention of further accusations I suggest to change the name to simply "Democrats".

In addition we should define the promotion of democratic civic's AND government-behaviour ;) as goals of our group.

Let's become the Guards of Democracy here! :)

10. koondrad

koondrad Citizen Koondrad

For those of us outside of the US, can some one explain briefly what the principals and differences are between the Republicans and the Democrats?

11. Tboy

Tboy Future world ruler

I'm not from the US either, but I'm pretty sure that the Republicans are more right-wing than the democrats. Correct me if I'm wrong.

12. Alphawolf

Alphawolf Basileus, Founding Father

With out going into a long diatribe concerning the parties, which I could very well go, I'll try to give a concise difference between them. As of today Tboy you’re right the Republicans are more conservative than the Democrats. However both parties are more in the way of coalitions than parties in Europe.

These two parties have been the main parties since just before the Civil War, but at that time the Democrats were the southern and conservative party. Lincoln was a Republican and Davis was a Democrat. In the 1912 Election Teddy Roosevelt didn't win the Republican nomination so he ran as an Independent and split the vote enough that the Democrat won. Teddy was the last Republican President (1901-1909) from when the Republicans were the liberal party.

Since that time the Republicans have been the party of the Right and the Democrats the party of the Left. However the Parties are currently undergoing realignment. The Democrats are becoming the fiscally conservative party. The main difference is in social views the Republicans push conservative ones as the Democrats push liberal ones.

I have tried to be non-biased in writing this. I am personally an independent moderate (mainly so I can vote in each party's primary) which is also known as a Liberal Republican or Conservative Democrat.

If anyone wants me to go into more detail just PM me.

-the Wolf

13. koondrad

koondrad Citizen Koondrad

Thanks for taking the time to write that; it was very helpful. :D

14. admiral-bell

okay, now for some policy, what will we do in the warmup?

15. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Chieftain

Concerning politics I already stated some possible goals to achieve. I will become clearer now, but before I want to point out that I don't want to be part of the democratic party the way it is in the US... I understand this group as something completely different which has nothin to do with the Party-system in the US (Thank God :eek: ;) )

I hereby (once again) petition ;) , that we change the name to simply "The Democrats" or "Guards of Democracy". or another name if suggestions are made, that fit to the nature of this cg (citizen group)... Since it would be democratic I even would suggest to make a poll about the final name of this group :p (Should, I, my two comrades?? - Hopefully more people will join! Hello!!! :D )

---------------------------------------------

Furthermore some organiziational suggestions:

We should list our members in the first post, like everyone does - it gives a good overview, IMHO

We should suggest to add "Member of the " put final name of this CG here" in their sig (Note: SUGGEST - This is a free DG, after all!)

We should put major ideas of our party in the first post after we agreed on them (makes it much easier for new interested people to identify what's important for us) It's not very democratic but I suggest to put the goals stated below and the additions by you, admiral bell and tboy into the first post until we agree to disagree to some of them...
    Ok???
    This would be your job, admiral-bell, since you're the founding father of this citizen group (cg)! :)

---------

Now, about policy: First of all we should "expand" our general goals before we go into details about the warmup-game:

- Promote "democratic" civic over others (Emancipation, Free Religion,Representation and direct vote,Free Markets), disagree strongly on slavery

- Keep an eye on the way decisions were taken within the government in charge - Give people a forum to complain that they haven't been asked and pursue the necessity of polls for important decisions

- Keeping hawks and doves in a "constructive", argumentative state so that people actually can make up their minds of whats good and whats bad (we are democrats, not necesserily pacifists :D )

- try to prevent one single cg to get the majority of positions in the government in order to keep everyone involved as much as possible

- promote un-cg-conform opinions when there is no other voice

- raise our voice when obvious voting blocks become too powerful - prevent onesided-changes on the constitution or CoL with the goal to terminize influence of minor groups

And last, but not least:

- Ensure minority protection: The whole poll thing is fine and alright, but we should take care of those in our Civilization who don't have the majority and support them to get heard at least partially. This is especially important when there are big minorities (not for yes/no - polls of course) on long-term-influencial polls or when they are concerning tax-policy,

e.g. a poll like "80% science, rest taxes? rest culture?" and there's a 60% for taxes and 40% for culture - we should argue that the government in charge should go for 10/10...

This should be our policy for the warmup-game,as well, IMHO...

What do you think? Especially member's are welcome to state there opinion, but everybody can! How about joining?
    --------------------
    EDIT:

This quote is taken from the Neoteric Party to show a major difference between these two parties: We don't want to take over anything! They seem to understand democracy basically as a inner-issue within their party (every member is equal and stuff like that), not as a thing to guard throughout the course of the DG...

If people want us to be in power we will gladly take the responsibility in our hands but we don't feel the need to "rule" in any way over the "old-players" or "new players".

We refrain from those ideas and support...What? Right: Democracy and the Winning of the better arguments and conclusions over Party-policy, block-building or denunciation because of players being either "new" or "old"...

Keep on rocking in a free world!! :D
    Stilgar

16. Alphawolf

I believe I'll join for now.

-the Wolf

17. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Chieftain

That's good to hear!! Thank you, Alphawolf and welcome aboard! I'm gonna p.m the other members in order to get things going! Especially the first post needs to be adjusted, IMHO. That is if the admiral agrees?? (sort of a "slow" thread this is, but we have a saying here in Germany: Good things will have to take their time...")

18. Gloriana

Gloriana Chieftain

Just a small issue; even though the game is a DEMOCRACY game, it shouldn't mean dictator-like parties can't pop-up. If people are happy to freely form a party and submit to the will of one and vote as that person says, then that is their liberty. So parties should not 'enforce' democracy on others not of their party, unless it is their goal to do so of course ;).

19. Tboy

Tboy Future world ruler

Stilgar08, good manifesto. We should follow something based on that.

20. Alphawolf

:goodjob: Well said.

-the Wolf