The Desert and the Mountain - Empires of Africa

Just to let you know that I'm having another crack at updating this scenario now that most of the required units have been made. The Arabs won't be playable, but I hope to put in a few new bits that should interest returning players as well as slight adjustments to the older parts.

Good news .Really good news. I wanted to mentioned it had been while and ask for a status report but knew you were always working on something important for the longevity of the communty so I just hoped it would turn out delux like Rood someday.

Im just glad you finnaly got time to refine some of your own mod work for now :)

Yaeah!

Time i sorted out a computer that can handle Civ3 again!

Plotinus.
You are a great scenario designer and graphic worker. Your scenario about African empires is great!:goodjob: What others you have designed?

Plotinus, it's great to see that you're creating excellence one again.:goodjob: but there is one question(that i bet u could already predict) that is on my mind, with the changes being made, will Benin be adapted to be fully playable and independent of other civs in it's makeup?

Just to let you know that I'm having another crack at updating this scenario now that most of the required units have been made. The Arabs won't be playable, but I hope to put in a few new bits that should interest returning players as well as slight adjustments to the older parts.

How about making only the Bejans playable, that should not mess :) up the game and would give people a chance to use the cool Arabian Units.

Plotinus.
You are a great scenario designer and graphic worker. Your scenario about African empires is great!:goodjob: What others you have designed?

If you look in my sig, you'll see a link to The Rood And The Dragon, my Anglo-Saxon scenario. That was my first scenario and it's actually been rather more popular than this one, so give it a go and see what you think.

I have another scenario in the works, which I previewed ages ago, but like many of these things it's got a bit bogged down.

Plotinus, it's great to see that you're creating excellence one again.:goodjob: but there is one question(that i bet u could already predict) that is on my mind, with the changes being made, will Benin be adapted to be fully playable and independent of other civs in it's makeup?

There are going to be changes involving Benin.

How about making only the Bejans playable, that should not mess :) up the game and would give people a chance to use the cool Arabian Units.

In the update, as in the original version, the Arabians will have only dummy techs (to stagger the appearance of their units), so none of them will be much fun to play.

just found this gem - havent been playing civ3 for a while - jumped off the wagon when civ 4 appeared and lost interest in the civ series on that account but this one i simply have to try out - thanx for the great stuff and keep up the good work - I am currently also viewing you religion-thread - very interesting - for that too I give thanks.

you wouldnt happen to know about a good colonization-"clone" for civ3 conquests by any chance? - civ 2 had some really good ones I recall but I havent had any luck finding any good civ3 scenarios yet - only one that stops at 1640 and one that involves the spanish and El Dorado....

now where was I?....oh yes - class a work there - keep it up - you bring joy and happiness to many - you are a true wonder :D

Thanks for the comments. If you like this one make sure you give the Rood and the Dragon a whirl too! As for Colonization "clones", I never played it so I don't know which mods, if any, would be most similar, although off the top of my head I imagine that the Firaxis Age of Discovery conquest must be fairly similar. You could always ask in the main Creation & Customization forum though.

hm, first congrats on this scen plontinus, though it`s gotten into the years somehow, it`s still one of my favourites due to the many options in gameplay.

since i got a lil time off recently and went for some civing, i had a few good games als mali and ethiopia running :)
i even went for the hausa that i`ve actually never played before since i always found them only anoying with all their units :lol:

the one thing always made me sad...
- not enough turns :(

the other thing...
- ai settled cities in all the wrong places :mad:

so i started to modify first the turn times, then a lil piece of map here.. then there....

well since you`ve got an update coming along by falli don´t know if you`d have use for it but by now my changes have taken on a rather large scale...
and maybe some of them could be of use for the update.

i`ll try summen the "larger" changes:

- turn times set to 300 with 2 years/turn
- the falasha ayhud spear has now 3 defence (before 2)
- the ethiopia quiyanweman has 3 defence as well (before 2)
- the nomads shield cost was increased to 20 (instead of 10)
- added an immobile unit (3 defence) to occupie some islands and a few city locations for the arabian civs
- added the luo tribes, a civ said to be origined in the nile valley south of what is alwah in the scen., they fill up some space down the suthest parts of the white nile cause everyone always tried to settle there...

to the map (well here we have some real "larger" changes):
I´ve redone/shaped most of the coast lines, and inner africa and finally i added a north/south strip of land first at the east edge to better include the horn of africa, second a strip just west of the nile, for i found not enough space to include the hills and stuff i wanted to place there...

i could go for detail on every civ, for almost all have changed locations...

like adals capital moved to historic correct Zeila, Yemens to (for the time span more correct Zabid, Ethiopias to Roha (wich is the old name for Lalibela)

i added and moved a few more cities and changed starting locations along with rivers and landscape and of course resource placement...

by now the ai tends to settle almost perfectly, i`ve tried this a lot of times, playing as one of the minor arab cives just to see how the ai does, so

ghana, for exapmple stays off the niger while mali occupies the western niger valley, and songhai even builds timbuktu in almost the right position.
i have "oasis towns" that the ai can setlle and even will by placing a "useful" resource on a desert tile that divides the "oasis" from the rest and when the ai goes with its worker for that resource the oasis becomes accesable to the settler unit.

the "nomad civs" hausa, kanem and quiddai settle themselves horses and indigo right under their cities, so they develope much more as intended.

falasha ethiopia and adal, are either at balance of power or ethiopia wins on falasha early enough to stand against adal, or falasha gains on ethiopia while adla makes it on ethiopia as well... here it`s always diffrent sometimes this somethimes another way :) often they are at balance ethiopia with its 4 mountain cities holding out against the small falasha rebels and the ever growing adal sultans.

well there`s more, like the ayyubids founding the right cities in the right spots at almost every game etc, makuria perfectly occuping "their" strech of the nile, etc.

so if you`re interested i could send you the biq or post it here, of course only on account that the coming update won`t be delayed :D
for there is still much space for improvment :)

sreens:

ethiopia and adal (from editor)
img_016_90BC.jpg

what the ai made of it:
img_018_90BC.jpg
- ethiopia has 3 cities left, adal is becoming more and more powerful and the falasha are still holding out

the niger:
img_015_90BC.jpg

and what the ai made of it:
img_017_90BC.jpg
- ghana staied northwest of the niger, while mali and songhai occupied the "mid" niger founding djenne (mali) and timbuktu (songhai) in roughly the right locations

That looks really interesting, especially the improved AI city placement. Some of the other changes you've made would probably be unnecessary given some of the ones I've done (for example, I've given Ethiopia another defensive unit to build) but I'd be interested to have a look, so do post the biq here.

Other than this the revamped scenario is almost done. I decided not to go ahead with the more large-scale changes, such as adding new civs and things, because it would simply never be finished.

oh nice. What kind of new stuff can we look forward to in the new scenario?

That looks really interesting, especially the improved AI city placement. Some of the other changes you've made would probably be unnecessary given some of the ones I've done (for example, I've given Ethiopia another defensive unit to build) but I'd be interested to have a look, so do post the biq here.

well what i`ve done for the ai placement was rather simple trial and error...

moving a resource, test gaming with "all map revealed", moving the resource further.... and so on
when the ideal location was found i went for the next resources :)

that made me find out that almost every resource affects ai settling, and bonus grasland affects it as well at an large scale...
so i had to start a lot of games sometimes going back to a previous version and so on...

it`s not really perfect, i got sometimes 2 of the same resources just next to one another, and other places are a bit crouded with resources, i`m sure that could be improved but i gave up on that when i got the ai to settle "useful" and in the roughly right spots.

best way to check ai behavior is to just play as the hafsids or almoravids, setting your cities on wealth production and not to take your finger off the enter button ;) like this i made 100 turns in a few minutes and was able to see the outcome of the changed resource placement.

as stated, as it is now, the ai will settle good spots, the nomad civs will place their cities on horse and indigo, sometimes even going for tribes and furs, civs like benin ( gets 3 cities most of the time), will stick to their "historical" strip of land.

BUT its almost always a lil diffrent, sometimes some barbs hinder some civ to settle a place right away and another civ slips in..

so the outcome can and will differ from game to game, but like 4/5 games the city placement will be almost accurate,
and of course a Human player will effect the ai even more :D

with ethiopia, in the frist i also had a new preplaced immobile defender unit for them wich worked out pretty well, but it would`ve given the human player to much advantage, so i tried around with the defence points,

but a shiny new unit... well thats even much better ;)

ah well... just check it out and maybe some of it could be useful :)

View attachment Desert_redone.zip

and if you have any question regarding the changes please ask, i`ve made quite a lil research into that part of african history by now so i`m really interested in this :)

This is the best Civ III mod outside of the original game that I have played. Good job! The Falasha are very fun to play as.

Version 1.5 now complete

The new and revised version of this scenario is finally downloadable. Head over to the first post in this thread for the link, and to see some new screenshots. Although I was thinking of adding in whole new culture groups and playable civs, in the end I decided not to mess around with the structure of the scenario too much.

Main changes:

• Masses of new graphics.
  • More turns.
  • Falasha renamed Beta Israel.
  • New AI-only civ - Chollo.
  • New units for some civs.
  • Ethiopia made less of a challenge - and Beta Israel more of one.
  • Four new multiplayer maps.
  • Longer and better soundtrack.
Plus lots of little tweaks and corrections along the way.

NICE,

I've been away from civ and I see this on my return...

Thanks.
I'll try this first. :goodjob:

Thanks Plotinus! Downloaded and tried it last night - as Ethiopia.

Gotta tell ya, they're still quite a challenge to play. Them Somalis beat the cr*p out of me... lost three cities to them in two turns. Ouch.

Tell me about it. I could understand a limitation of eight human-controlled civs - but only eight in total, including AI civs? It makes it very hard to create a decent multiplayer scenario. Hope you like my attempt to get around the problem with this one anyway.

[TopGun] Hey, I didn't say I'd make it very easy!

Top Bottom