1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Desert and the Mountain - Empires of Africa

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Plotinus, Nov 8, 2005.

1. r16

r16 not deity

here are some observations from a casual player

ı manage to get Civ3 and find this site . Going around ı come to this thread and it seems interesting , to be tried in due time as ı finish the game scenarios etc . Finally the day to load the first non-Firaxis scenario/mod . It is childishly simple .Why didn't they make unit additions in this way , ı wonder and of course the desire for some utility to automatically add units is burning my heart . ı know it is easy as riding a bicycle once you have learned it but did ı mention ı was dumb ?

my sound system doesn't work at all , can't listen to the soundtrack but make a mental note of downloading that sometime too . ı am in all legal probability tone deaf , giving me one more reason to like Horatio Hornblower books , but it is obviously part of an effort to be appreciated .

ı remember Mali described in the thread and the intention has always been to play it first since November 2008 , the month ı joined . ı vaguely know ı have to make a road to ease the travel of caravans ; the caravans , the 30 -40 caravans hoarded to poke fun with the AI , ı dearly miss from Civ1 . ı should get someone to bring that 50 shields thing back to the game . A nice surprise for this continious player of Germany in Vanilla , the house colours are okay too . Let's get going .

ı learned to love the horseman ( any dirty jokes will be answered in a rather rough way , just in case ) in Vanilla . ı block AI attempts to settle at my horse town location by a line of warriors that step in the path of settlers . Yes , we will fight soon but why don't you just go around looking somewhere else . You concentrate in one branch of the Tech tree after getting the Horseman , one of your neighbours will start a war . Take one city and the peace conditions will of course include one or two sciences you didn't spend a penny on . Problem , the Mali Horseman doesn't know to stop if the going gets to rough . Is this an attribute that the editor chooses ? The fast units are supposed to stop/retreat . 5 or 6 attempts and ı give up . No barracks ı can live with , horsemen dying like flies ı can't . A new set up , r16 the peaceful comes to establish good relations with the world and he starts with blocking Ghana's exit to the ocean by setting up a city at the mouth of what should be the Senagal river . ı haven't given up on warfare yet , ı will have armies by the production line as it is blindingly clear ı won't be seeing much of leaders through battle . And the location will of course allow me to skirt Ghana to the great endevour of opening up the Sahara .

then ı meet the dunes . Yes , ı have to find something else and each army costs 400 shields ... ı already have one through battle but things are not exactly rosy . ı have concentrated on Islam branch as ı oppose slavery ; hell if ı research the thing .Playing monarch ı can afford to wait until somebody can do it for me . Not exactly getting cramps but ı wonder where are my sail powered vehicles to fly over the dunes . Now ı have seriously read mostly nationalistic fiction from 1950s about Turkish Corsairs and while historians will not agree on anything , just like the navy day in my country commemorates the Preveze of 1538 , which should be one of the greatest naval feats in history , ı think ı can prove one of the Barbarossa brothers moved his cannons with sails in Tunisia , without barring the possibility that it was done before by others . By the way the corsair ship in the civilopedia is awesome , 500 attack and defence ! ı think ı will have to play in the Red Sea parts to see if mushrooms rise everytime it fires. If ı play Yemen will ı get one ?

this is not a flippant disregard of the modders who undoubtedly worked hard to make this realistic . ı used to work as a janitor in a museum and ı can see this is something great even a lesson for anyone interested in the history of the region but in version 1.51 ı want to fly , pleeeease . ı have never learned to use the smilies , how ı am impressed by the game even when ı have that sinking feeling is hard to convey in dry words .

nor the relief when ı get the camels or the joy that the raiders are of the stop at one red bar type .The civilopedia page for Sanhaja raiders gives no clue to their ability , the page is cluttered with text . An eyesore in an otherwise unblemished in the parts ı have seen ; just like the very long lines on colonies and monastries . Might be because ı don't have conquests 1.22 , can't tell .One false start again and ı reload . ı save and reload all the time , which is 80 percent of my military prowess . Ghana decides it is wartime ; maybe because ı was testing the camel raiders on them . They are also busy squandering their swordsmen fighting Hausa . Launch 5 raiders to the single iron ore to make sure at least one will survive and then it is plain sailing ; as long as they end their movements on pillaged desert tiles , the troops are immune from counter attack and the cities fall to wave after wave of camel attacks . Now this is war , my kind of war .

while ı have some people in the desert looking for some marble pillars and it is becoming somewhat frustrating . Inevitably the editor is fired up , and the map is really big ! ı think ı will never see a 362 x 362 .

now the obstacle that officially remains is the bandits in the Sahara but the Hausa are maybe just about to engulf me . Fighting with them gave another army but the situation seems controllable for now . As long as the enemy units are not fast , ı will prosper ı guess . ı gave a city to Chollo for this reason .We will meet again when ı get gunpowder . Even Saladin doesn't look so intimidating even ı try to turn off the diplomacy screen and the CPU doesn't respond in time . ı have the advantage , ı can turn off the power if s___ hits the fan .

currently waiting for the Tuaregs to arrive and the aristocrasy is taking far too much but this is the essence of life . If handled a lemon you should better make a lemonade . Having something as spectacular as Civ3 as its base this mod maybe shouldn't called a lemonade , but it tastes superb .

for the future , ı foresee a couple of new games maybe replacing a playable civ by naming it Turks in a personally edited scenario which ı think ı can do and then ı will have a go at the Lord of the Rings mod ı downloaded at the same date . The problem is which side ı should choose to marry the character played by L.Tyler.

who said ı had substance ? But ı hope my feedback still counts .

2. eddiewillers

eddiewillers Chieftain

Fantastic scenario. I had a VP Victory in 1410 while playing as Beta Yisrael. Ethiopia was taken out very soon with help of Adal. I took out a couple of sahel civs to expand westards and then all the Nile up to Alexandria. I never challenged Adal, and even payed tribute to them, but they fear my zealots. Thanks G'd for Yemen!

Next I wanna play a sahel civ for more Wanderlust satisfaction, and then the commercial civs of the west.

This is one of the most creative scenarios I've seen so far, one of the most pleasurable - meaning I'm intending to play it again as another civ.

Congratulations and THANKS!!!

3. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

[r16] Thanks for those - interesting - comments! I'm glad you've been enjoying the scenario. Some responses:

The Firaxis editor is indeed horrible; have a look in the main C&C forum for the thread on Steph's new editor, which aims to make some of these things a bit more intuitive.

Fast units still have the ability to withdraw from battle, but it is never guaranteed that they will do this. I think in Vanilla they invariably do it when down to 1hp, but in later versions of CivIII they made happen only sometimes. It sounds like you were just unlucky with your horsemen.

The West African civs are (intentionally) very bad at offensive warfare. If you want lots of battles, you might prefer one of the central civs (Kanem-Bornu etc). Of course they have their own weaknesses to compensate!

Building roads through the Sahara worked in the original version of this scenario, but I added the Dunes terrain to prevent people from doing this and shuttling their camels back and forth at vast speeds. You'll just have to make the long trek - carefully.

Sand ships - interesting idea - not in this scenario though! Also, you can't play as Yemen. Well, you can if you open the editor and make it playable, but it won't be a whole lot of fun. I was planning to make the Arabian civs playable, with their own proper tech tree and victory conditions and everything, but it would have been just too time-consuming, especially the time required to test and make sure that the scenario didn't become unbalanced. It is very, very hard to keep a scenario like this balanced and playable when all the civs are so different.

If you don't have Conquests 1.22, text won't display properly, so that may be the reason for your pedia entry problems (although I can be rather verbose, and sometimes long text works on one person's computer but not on another, because of different fonts etc - I think the fact that I made this scenario on an Asian computer had an effect of this kind).

Good luck anyway and let us know how you get on with some of the other civs.

[eddiewillers] Thanks for your comments too. It's really good to know that people are still enjoying this scenario. Beta Israel can be a lot of fun when things go right. The central civs can also be very enjoyable too if you go all-out on the conquests!

4. eddiewillers

eddiewillers Chieftain

I have to admit I had luck the first decisive turns. It was fun beggining with no citizens and winning with an empire stretched to the shores of Jerusalem and Lake Chad.

Boulders (cruise missiles I'd assume) are very fun indeed. Can you maybe make a Beta Israel special Trebuchet or a mobile smaller boulder?

After conquering Egypt I had a road built and sometimes a unit placed on the caravan outpost which became under my cultural borders but i never got VP points for it. Is that civ-specific or a bug or the fact that I never saw a caravan?

5. Plotinus

You can build catapults as Beta Israel. I'm not sure that trebuchets would be entirely historical (although not everything in that part of the scenario is, admittedly). It would be fun to have different sizes of boulders, but there's only the one graphic, which aaglo kindly made for me.

You won't get VP for sitting on the trading post. The only way to get VP from those is to deliver Trade items to them, and only the west African civs can do that.

6. r16

r16 not deity

have been busy with sort of a flame war in a different site and am writing this in response to Plotinus' encouragement .

ı was really happy until my conquests started to act up . Tried the patch but it doesn't agree with my software and my attempts to find a No CD patch have so far failed , but in return a full up Conquests has been put in my will happen list ; things that will be realised even if it takes a decade .Unfortunately it doesn't involve trivial notions or subjects like getting a life or blondes . Still ı would really appreciate a solution within this year ! Does anyone know a Conquest 1.22 compliant NoCD patch ?

ı had great pleasure , just to repeat it again . After the Malians ı tried other civs . Nearly a month passed , the memory is somewhat hazier but Alwah was great for peaceful endavours ; but ı am not the man to carry out peaceful business . One game ended rapidly by Makurian attack . The second ı was trying to be more interested in the south when Yodit attacked me . ı rapidly conquered and took advantage of Ethiopian war with Adal to expand in the mountains ; but once again Makuria asked for it and their 3 level archer was too much , to say nothing of the Ayyubi intervention against me .

next ı tried the beautiful smile of Yodit to exasperating results ; Ethiopians are super tough ! Tenth or so trial ı decided to copy the thirteenth to look for prospects elsewhere . Alwah suffered , once you get the two men into veteran status they can take cities to produce more units yet the distance was not great enough .Ethiopia crushed me quickly . The second attempt of the exodus ı played KanemBornu in light blue with the capital at the Chad Lake . ı don't take myself as a racist but ı devoted lots of time to fighting the Black Kingdoms . Went to Atlantic while waiting the ninja dudes to appear , ı always consider them so . By the time ı felt strong enough to challenge Ethiopia it had already become miniscule and was actually destroyed by Adalians so ı waited to a get victory through passing of time , ı had painted the entire south in blue .

the last was KanemBornu and ı woved the clear the entire map . Though my ideas for saving the Ayyubis for the last campaign didn't pan out , by the time ı started to notice the computer lags - and they were really annoying even when ı could fool myself about the slow speed of my CPU - Yemenis had truly kicked the guts out of them . ı had Cihadists , was waiting for the horse mounted version while everybody had now gunpowder . But ı had the armies ...

ı think the KanemBornu noble man is the most useful character ı have ever seen in Civ , whereever ı could have one , cities started to work !

will return to the game . Never been even half illiterate in computer programming and ı think ı will have to actually write it by hand to learn how to add units -in case the recommended new editor is also beyond me- but ı will do . Not that the scenario lacks anything ; it is just super .

7. Plotinus

Thanks r16 - glad you like it.

You won't find information about no-CD cracks on this site as it's not allowed here - too close to piracy.

8. General 666

General 666 Culturebringer

For the NoCD patch: You are wrong Plontius. Many years I`m using an official NoCD patch. There is a german Computer-games magazine called "PC Action" or "PC Games". They have released Civ3+Conquest on their CD. Especially for the customers of that magazine ,a NoCD patch has been programmed. And it`s for sure absolute legal !!!

And even better is : You can use it with the english version (I can use the english or the german exe without any errors occuring). Everybody who is PM me a polite request ,have a good chance that I may spread my exe with him. Or more likely leading you to the original dl-link. You can also try your luck googling ...

9. r16

r16 not deity

my contribution to Civ can only be through by saluting those who have done much for it . And if ı manage to work it run through the help offered by General 666 , ı will be looking for other scenarios as well . Thanks to everyone .

10. lexington1

lexington1 Chieftain

Wonderful scenario-very creative. I've played civs from several regions, the most recent being the Makurians (after a discussion on an alternate history board about whether they could have gotten their act together during the first few centuries of Islamic rule in Egypt-ie, before the mass conversion of Egyptians) and kicked the Arabs out of the place entirely. I tried to see if I could do that with your Makurians, but you don't seem to have given them any siege units. Anyway, I was minding my own business when Saladin sent a couple archers into my territory, I told him to withdraw or declare war-he picked the latter. I was able to fend off his attacks perfectly well, but then he got what must have been the entire map to declare war on me, and a bunch of Karem-Boru horsemen came sweeping into my territory, at which point I quit. I've also tried games as Ethiopia, Beta Israel, and the West African civs. I must say, you've put together a heck of a mod-thank you!

11. EDaddy

EDaddy Warlord

Well I finally picked up this scenario again and I am enjoying it just as much as I did originally. Unfortunately though, the game crashes at a certain point. I think its an issue with one of the music files. It starts playing for a few seconds then Conquests crashes! I am currently using version 1.5 of the scenario + the patch. Can anyone help me out?

12. Plotinus

That's mysterious. I haven't heard of anything like that happening before. I would just remove the name of the music file in question from the playlist (in Desert/Text/Music/Build) - or if that doesn't work, just remove the custom music altogether (remove the whole Music folder, or at least the Build folder).

13. Virote_Considon

Virote_Considon The Great Dictator

I wouldn't remove the music folder, because that would cause the game to crash! I'd rename the music.txt file found in the Desert\Text folder to something else. That would make you revert back to the original music fine enough.

14. Plotinus

Yes, that would be the right way to do it. I forgot the details of the file structure.

15. EDaddy

EDaddy Warlord

Ok, i figured it out now. The game crashes on the Kyenkyen.mp3 song. But why it does that is still a mystery to me.

16. EDaddy

EDaddy Warlord

You know what, i'm just gonna remove kyenkyen from the playlist and see what happens.

17. General 666

I`m a owner of a Sound sensible machine too. I have had to convert all MP3s to the game standards ,to make it run flawless.

Make sure all your mp3`s are in the format :

44100 Hz -16 Bit - Stereo - 128 kb/s

18. Plotinus

I certainly checked the format of all the MP3s, that they meet Civ III's strangely exacting standards, and I've never had any problems playing any of them in game. So I'm not sure what could have happened there.

19. EDaddy

EDaddy Warlord

Well, its not kyenkyen thats causing it to crash. As a test, I put that song first in the playlist and it played. it must be the playlist or something to that extent. Here, this link might help.

Read posts #1 and especially #10, it talks about the crashes that occur with custom music files.

20. General 666

There are exotic converters out there. I want to say it`s best to use LAME. Lame is the standard for MP3`s. DL it from the website of the "Fraunhofer Institut". The file you really need is called "lame_enc.dll". You can copy it to you favorite Audio Converter or MP3 Player.

EDaddy: I`m using Music.txt for many years. I don`t use the dummy.mp3 file. I can play my own scenarios 20 hours and more without a crash !!!