1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Desert and the Mountain - Empires of Africa

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Plotinus, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Plotinus

Plotinus Philosopher Administrator

Might be a few more raiders. You just have to be more careful!

2. EDaddy

EDaddy Warlord

Good thing about it though is that it makes the trading nations more challenging. Now the Desert Warfare tech actually has a use now!

3. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

There's a well known bug where the scenario carries over some settings from a previous game with a different scenario. Have you tried this solution: start a standard C3C game on a similar map with similar settings for age, climate, etc. Then quit the scenario ("start a new game" menu choice), you don't even have to save. Then start this scenario. It should now have its own proper settings.

4. EDaddy

EDaddy Warlord

Wow, I never knew of this bug. And I'm so glad that the Civ3 community is still alive even after the release of Civ5! :)

It's alive because of high-quality scenarios like this one.

BTW, there's a Songhai civilization on Civ5 and Firaxis repersented that civ way, way better than they did Mali (in Civ4). For one thing, they got the capital (Gao) right. Also, the UU/UB are much, much better offerings that Mali's was. They also have an excellent ability too (3x plunder from barbarian encampments and cities.)

I hope later on down the road, they add the Mali and Ethopia civs like they did in Civ4, but with better abilities and UUs (UBs).

5. Plotinus

EDaddy sent me the fixed music and I've now uploaded it and altered the link in the download section accordingly. Thanks very much for doing this!

6. EDaddy

EDaddy Warlord

No problemo! Enjoy the scenario everyone! :D

7. mountedantman

mountedantman Chieftain

THis great scenario. I kinda wished i could build a city in the egyptian itzuma so i can make a"suez canal" to be able to send my ships to the mediterranean sea from ethiopia. When i played, ethiopia could not build cavalry because the file was not found, and it exits the game. That was 4 yrs ago. idk if anyone fixed it.

8. Sir Sam Vimes

Sir Sam Vimes Duke of Ankh

I have to say I love this scenario. In fact, because I'm studying relations between the 'big three' religions in the Middle Ages, it is an ambition of mine to do a scenario like this, but for all of the Old World. Any takers?

Update... as per my embarrasingly misplaced post in the 'Rood' thread (sorry, it had been a very long day... transpires the 1919 Treaty of Versailles is 50 pages long, only found out when my gf and I had to read it to prepare a presentation on it...) the Beta Israel assassin unit is missing from the art folder in my download, so I replaced it with the art files for the ninja unit from the Medieval Japanese conquests scenario... anyone else had this problem?

"If your enemy occupies a large, well-positioned fortress, endeavour to see that he remains there"

9. powerslave7

powerslave7 Chieftain

I got about halfway through the game when it says that there is a missing file for the assassin. Can somebody help me to fix this? I don't really know all this stuff about replacing art files so could somebody walk me through it? Is there a way to fix it without restarting my game? I have a pretty good empire and don't really want to start it over again. Great scenario by the way!

10. Blue Monkey

Can you post exactly what the message on the screen says. without that it's hard to help you. In most cases you'll be able to fix it without restarting your game. But no way to tell without knowing the error message.

11. powerslave7

powerslave7 Chieftain

It says:

Load Error
    File Not Found
    "Art\Units\Assassin\Assassin.INI"
    The game will now exit.

12. Blue Monkey

I'd do the following:

1. Search your files for assassin.ini . If you find one somewhere else copy it & paste it into the assassins folder, which is inside the units folder, which is inside the art folder, which is inside the folder with the same name as the scenario's biq.
    2. If you don't find it try searching for part of the name - misspelled. "asassin" "assasin" for example. Also look for a file that has a space in the name - "assassin .ini". If you find any of those copy & paste as above. Then rename it to match the error message.

13. Plotinus

I'm puzzled by this, though, because that file should be part of his Conquests install. If the game can't find it, that suggests that it can't find units in his Conquests folder.

You have Desert.biq and the Desert folder placed in Civilization III/Conquests/Scenarios, don't you?

14. powerslave7

powerslave7 Chieftain

I do have everything in the Scenarios folder. Also, I opened the art folder, opened the unit's folder, but there is no assassin folder.

15. Sir Sam Vimes

Sir Sam Vimes Duke of Ankh

copy the ninja folder into the desert/art/units folder and rename it assassin. Open it, and anywhere 'ninja' appears in the names of the files inside the folder, change it to 'assassin'

problem solved :)

16. powerslave7

powerslave7 Chieftain

Thanks for all the help. Hopefully I've resolved the assassin issue. However, know if I try to open the Units section of the Civilopedia it says

Load Error
    File Not Found
    "art\units\Ayyubid Archer\AyyubidArcher-Small.pcx"
    The game will now exit.

The game is still playable though. Sorry if i'm being a pain :)

17. powerslave7

powerslave7 Chieftain

18. Plotinus

Have a look in the Art/Units/Ayyubid Archer folder and see if that file is in there. Perhaps it is misnamed. It should be a 32x32 pcx image of the unit. If it's there with a different name, then rename it to what the game tells you it's expecting. If it's not there at all then there's a problem, because it should be!

19. powerslave7

powerslave7 Chieftain

It says

AyyubidArcher-Small (then there is a bunch of spaces, the date modified information, and finally the PCX file)

Is that correct? Most of the other units look exactly like that.

20. Plotinus

This sounds very strange. If the file name is 'AyyubidArcher-Small.pcx' and the message that the game gives you when it crashes is that it can't find a file with precisely that name, then there's something very puzzling going on. If the file exists with the name that it's looking for, then it shouldn't crash with that message.

You could try calling up the civilopedia again in the game to make it crash, and then while the error message is still displayed, go into the folders and double-check the name of the pcx file against the error message. There must be a difference between them, or it wouldn't display. Then you can try changing the name of the pcx file (right-click on it) to match what the error message says it's looking for.