1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Desert and the Mountain - Empires of Africa

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Completed Scenarios' started by Plotinus, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Takhisis

Takhisis brown-haired beauty

Which is why we have such a smiley: :spear:

Have you run as Beta Israel yet?

2. Geffalrus

Geffalrus Chieftain

Never mind, I'm getting jumped by Hausa AND Kanem-Bornu. Their units are trash, but they still somehow seem to deal a lot of damage to my far superior units. Wheel Lockers cost far too much to mass just yet, which is very sad. Jihadists and Fanatics will have to do. At least I got Makuria to sue for peace and pay me all their money.

3. Geffalrus

Geffalrus Chieftain

Hehe, I do remember that one from yeaaaaaars ago.

My first run as Queen Yodit, I got swarmed by a bunch of Qest archers and lost Adulis a few turns in, which was embarrassing. My second run, I've taken the two coast cities and Axum the capital. Ouaddai is frustrating at the moment, so I'll take a break and go back to them. Very interesting tech tree. Absolutely love how the trees make each culture so unique.

4. Takhisis

Takhisis brown-haired beauty

The very first time I played as Beta Israel I of course lost my first unit and thus the game.

Virote_Considon likes this.
  5. Geffalrus

Geffalrus Chieftain

Ethiopia is gone, I've secured the homeland, plus the iron to the north, and have switched governments. Bit.......unnerved by the ongoing Abbuyid-Adal war that is being fought literally within my borders by hordes of arab swordsmen. Hoping they just keep fighting each other forever and leave me alone.

Yemen picked a fight with me out of the blue, which is not ideal. Fortunately, the sea limits them to minor raids so far. Can't really fight back as teching to Piracy is a bit out of the way, and I'd rather focus on getting those powerful top tier infantry units. We'll see how it goes. XD

6. Geffalrus

Geffalrus Chieftain

Whew, Beta Israel is awesomely fun to play as. :D

Their unit selection is very, very nice. The 4/2 swords are a solid value that not all factions even get access to. And then the Pagan Mercs are slightly weaker Nubian Bowmen III, with a stealth attack that is incredible for taking out the high attack/weak defense units that the Arabians and company like to throw at you. Nothing tops the Boulder, though. Cheap to build and practically a guaranteed death for any single unit that approaches your city. Zealots are powerful like Wheel Lockers, but also have a ZOC, so those enemy stacks that walk past your cities start taking free HP damage. Only problem with them is the need for Incense, which requires spending a lot of money on a trade deal with Yemen.

Lack of luxuries is a bit of an interesting problem. I'd like to just invade Yemen, but Pirate Galleys don't have much transportation capacity.......

At this point, I've maxed my techs, have a solid cultural lead on the Ayyubids, and have conquered most of the Adal Sultanate. The hordes of interlopers have ceased due to wars elsewhere, and a protracted fight I had with the Central African powers. Super Annoying Imams running around pillaging was potentially dangerous had they waited until I tried to attack Yemen. Instead, they ran into a bunch of boulders and a steam of angry Zealots.

Makuria built the Baqt, but made the mistake of doing so in a city on my border. A quick strike force of Zealots, Runners, and Pagan Mercs took the city and Razed it before the Nubian Bowman horde could take it back. No more Baqt and no more Diplomatic Victory.

7. Geffalrus

Geffalrus Chieftain

I've decided that the Makurians are an absolute pox on the game only slightly behind the danger of the Ayyubids. They build that stupid wonder and then boom, you're done. Just had a great game going as Mali that abruptly ended because Makuria built the Baqt and was magically friends with literally the entire map. At least Beta Israel was close enough to put an end to their nonsense. Maybe I'll try Mali again and focus solely on earning money and bribing people to kill Makuria........

8. Geffalrus

Geffalrus Chieftain

Second run through with Mali worked much better and was another good demonstration of why the scenario is so good. Unlike the Central Africans, Ethiopians, and Beta Israel (to say nothing of the Arabic powers), the West Africans have the weakest military in the scenario. Mali in particular struggles quite a bit since you're stuck with attack - 2 units until you unlock Match Gonners and/or Tuareg Warriors. And Match Gonners are terrible........just awful. West Africans don't get a barracks, so they can't even get veterans easily, and this is compounded by the -1 HP of the Match Gonner. Combine that with the relative expense of the Match Gonner, and you have no good way to mount an offense against your enemies. Mass amounts of basic archers probably would work better. Ghana and Songhai at least have access to early 3-attack units, though that's still not amazing when you look at other armies. The only early bright spot for Mali is that you're well placed to get Abukhari's Voyage and be able to build your own better armies without the need for a leader. And when you put 3 Match Gonners in the army, you get a passable offensive unit. Still not enough to easily dominate the world, however. The one positive for the West Africans are their Sahel Spears and the Sofa, both really cost effective defensive units. Not as great as the Ethiopian defense units, but enough to see off minor raids. Lack of veterancy really hurts.

I spent most of my time frantically building Wangara Traders to shovel treasures out into the Sahara where they'd get jumped by 8 milllion barbarians and destroyed. Eventually, I settled on using caravan tactics to keep my traders relatively safe (a stack survives better than individuals). Things got a LOT better when I finally researched Tuareg Warriors. That allowed me to clear an open path through the Sahara with much less trouble. Makuria built the Baqt, but I think the wars played out differently, and they never were part of a grand alliance against a common evil that would earn them a lot of positive feelings. No votes were ever called. Phew.

9. r16

r16 not deity

cheat like everyone does and build some highway across the Sahara .

10. tjs282

tjs282 Socially isolated since 1975

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    For the first time ever, I fired up this Mod the other day and started a couple of games (Emp-level), the second of which is still ongoing (I'm already in the runaway stage, so -- barring a Diplo-loss -- it's essentially won). And I'm Very Impressed.

On my first run, I random-rolled my Civ (as is my usual habit for epic-games and when trying a new Mod) and got Ethiopia. Having not re-read Post#1 in this thread any time recently, I had no idea what to expect, and I promptly lost 3/6 of my starting towns (Adulis captured by Beta Israel, Avalites and Debre Mark'os auto-razed by Israel and the Adalians, respectively, with the loss of one of my Relics). I also didn't realise that I was in 2 locked wars until I had already expended most of my meagre stock of weak-but-still-relatively-expensive starting units in a vain attempt to recapture Adulis. I quit at the point when I had fewer units left in Axum and Roha than there were still-healthy enemy units outside; I don't think I played much more than ~25T.

Restarted and chose Ethiopia deliberately this time, determined to research Quiyanw instead of Horsemanship to start with, and to fight a defensive war (letting them come to me) instead of expending my starting units in futile attempts to take the war beyond my borders too early. This attempt's gone a lot better -- although admittedly, this is mainly/only because my lone 2(1).1.1 Qest Warrior in Adulis managed to :spear: Beta Israel's 4.2.1 Swordsman on Turn 1, knocking them out of the game!

With only the Adalians to contend with in the early stages, I could build up my towns and forces much more effectively, and even use aggressive Settlement to push my borders out in other directions. Even though the Ayyubids tried to cause me some problems at about the 70-turn mark, I managed to beat them off (that war gave me my GA) and force a peace treaty without losing any towns (Saladin is now fighting the Yemeni instead).

Securing my northern border allowed me to send my forces south to concentrate fully on the Adalians, and Settle right up to their capital. However, by that point they'd researched their 5.1.1 Swords and 1.4.1 Halberdiers, and my best attacker was still only my 4.2.2 Tsrur Rider, backed up by 2.4.1 Magureb Warriors, so my offensive stalled there for a long time. An Army and a couple of Cannon finally broke the deadlock, and mopping up the rest of their towns then went fairly quickly: they have just recently, and after 3 Palace-Jumps, finally been expunged (around Turn 140).

I'd already selected the Alwah as my next victim, since they had only 3 towns to my two-dozen or so (they'd lost one town to me already in a Culture-flip -- a new experience for me at Emperor!), and a Weak military compared to mine. But shortly before my Riders returned from their Adalian adventure, Timotheos decided he'd rather DoW me than remove his unit from my territory on demand. So as of the last savegame (Turn 143, 1286 AD), he now has only 2 towns left -- and my Riders will be able to reach his capital from my side of our mutual border.

I've been doing so well recently that I've indulged myself and dedicated Axum to building all the GWonders I've unlocked so far. So one way or another, the Chollo (who have also lost 1 town flipped to me) will probably soon lose the rest of their towns as well...

11. Geffalrus

Geffalrus Chieftain

Sounds like a lot of fun! I had an interesting Ethiopia game where I survived an alive Israel and Adal by spamming Qest Archers early on to hang out in the mountains and absorb the enemy attacks. Meanwhile, I beelined for Feudalism and the Tor Warrior. Feudalism is a better government, and the Tor Warrior is 2/3, better than the 2/2 Quinyaw Warriors. Spamming Tor Warriors then allowed me to survive waves of Jewish Rebels and Adalian Archers. I settled to the North and West to get horses and iron, allowing me to have a good force of Tsur Riders.

However, the Ayyubids took over Makuria, boosting their culture tremendously. I don't think I can overcome it easily. This scenario is REAL EASY to lose even if you do it right. Makuria can Baqt you to death from far away, while Ethiopia can win early if they build their Wonders early.