1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice

The difference is education, not class

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Hygro, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Arwon

Arwon

Education is one of the key ways class replicates and maintains itself lol

PhroX and Gorbles like this.
  2. Aiken_Drumn

Aiken_Drumn King

Good education, Classist education, access to education? Your statement is too short for me to understand.

3. Samson

Samson Deity

Private school education is totally that.

4. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

All education. Private education wouldn't exist without state education as a comparative "baseline", to separate the differing "quality" of person.

Putting these in quotes to hopefully make it bleeding obvious I disagree with them. You're not lesser for going to state school, nor better for going to a private school, speaking as someone who lucked into a private school.

Samson likes this.
  5. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

Sounds like a personal opinion to me.

How? What guarantees that the instructors aren't teaching their own personal bias and false beliefs? What garentees that the Borgoiusis isn't in control of the curriculum?

So what you're saying is an intellectually superior class should rule over an intellectually inferior class by birthright? A sort of technocratic noble republic we're the nobility is determined by educational performance and is allowed to grant their noble title directly to their offspring, and only such nobles are allowed to hold office and elect themselves?

Aiken_Drumn likes this.
  6. Lexicus

Lexicus Deity

Hygro and Aiken_Drumn like this.
  7. Aiken_Drumn

Aiken_Drumn King

You say you love me, but you never there for me.

-Blu Cantrell

8. Samson

Samson Deity

Because a good education is not about learning facts, but about how to establish facts. Then the bias and beliefs of the teacher do not matter, as the student can establish the truth for themselves.

9. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

That's not true. If the facts the teacher is teaching are biased, then by definition their own methodologies for finding the truth are false. They would therefore be teaching false methodology.

10. Samson

Samson Deity

I am not sure what that would look like in this day and age. Care to give an example of what you mean?

Hygro likes this.
  11. Aiken_Drumn

Aiken_Drumn King

Creationism, Revisionism, and Nationalism all screw with education in this day and age everywhere.

Valka D'Ur likes this.
  12. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

Well certain schools in the Bible Belt teach Creationism. How are the methodologies that allow one to conclude that Creationism is a fact, based on any reason?

Valka D'Ur likes this.
  13. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

It’s education, you aren’t born educated.

no one said anything about ruling you doofus, just that some people are voting terribly based on world views they arrived at trying to make sense of everything without good information and ordering of information.

Drakle likes this.
  14. Samson

Samson Deity

OK, yeah, if you actually have schools teaching that the way to find the truth is to read an old book and assume it is true then that is a problem. I would say it is more like child abuse than education, but that does not change the facts.

Valka D'Ur likes this.
  15. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

Surveys have repeatedly shown that the prime predictor of a child's future success is the wealth of the parents. :king::queen:

16. Farm Boy

Farm Boy syntax error

Every school I've come across asks kids to assume **** in old books is true. Some of them accurately qualify this by teaching kids what the word faith means. Many others do not. I agree. They might be child abusers. The evangelicals and the servants of God Money alike.

Samson likes this.
  17. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell :cool:

18. bernie14

bernie14 Filter Manipulator

are there examples when its not?

same question

19. Joij21

Joij21 Emperor

What if it's all genetics? Then does education even make sense for those that don't have the genes to make the cut?

I suspect we don't actually have free will, but we are in fact just hardwired genetic machines with a predetermined outcome to how we will live and eventually die.

Compatibalism in my opinion is a giant contradictory farce that people believe in to somehow illogically allow determinism and free will to coincide when in reality it's impossible for both concepts to exist within the same Universe at the same time.

Throw as much money as you may at the problem, but the point is we live in a meaningless and purposeless universe. Suffering and societal problems will always exist so long as the Human species exists, so why even solve them? It's an imperfect reality that is far too complex for us to ever make right to the point of satisfying everyone. On top of that we are nothing more than automatons with a built in illusion of agency, so to solve a problem is pointless because all actions and outcomes are predetermined from the start anyway.

bernie14 likes this.
  20. Aiken_Drumn

Aiken_Drumn King

Lest we forget we're likely just to be a simulation/s

EnglishEdward likes this.