1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Disappearance of Ed Beach

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by demidyad, Sep 4, 2016.

1. BrokenSky

BrokenSky Warlord

Yeah pretty much. But talking about silly pointless and trivial things burns time effectively so we'll get to release sooner (because there will be less time in the way, because we will have burned it all. That's how it works, right?).

2. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

Steamed Crabs and a Natty Bo might do the trick!

Absolutely!!!

3. darko82

darko82 Emperor

OK, I have watched this again now, and it makes sense, I must admit.

The other guy akwardly moves the hand towards Ed. Then, that freeze up could mean "oh, what did I do"? He might have focused on the right side of the window first, then he saw the left side.

I don't know. Both versions are possible.

:lol:

4. rastak

rastak Emperor

Exactly.

It looks he quickly clicked the left navigation to click off the leader page. Instead he hit the scroll bar making it worse. That dude was REALLY shook up and awkward understates it.

All will be forgotten soon when the press gets their copy and when the game releases.

5. darko82

darko82 Emperor

I still believe Ed wanted this reveal.

Come on, guys, Ed has his own eyes, and he is able to see what he is doing on the screen during the livestream. He's not a baby or something.

6. Red Menace

Red Menace Prepare to be Menaced

actually I said he's OVER 9000 :lol: but you get the idea.

I try my best:) and I wont stop until I have the Whole story! I WILL find Ed Beach our Noble Hero, and after I find him we will stop Sid Gandhi from ever threatening our world again! I will be reporting on my discoveries soon.

I dont like TYT, but Alex Jones is good for some laughs, sometimes a lot of laughs. :lol:

where? how? I want to see it I need for my search.

7. Stauffenberg

Stauffenberg Chieftain

Remember what happened at GamesCom the day before the Ed Beach game. There was a barbarian bug causing barbarians to spawn at the end of each player's turn instead of the end of the last player's turn. So the playing session was a bit ruined by too many barbarians. I have a feeling that Ed talked with the programmers in USA saying that having another game session with such a critical bug won't be fun for anyone.

So he was able to get access to a very late build with the bug fixed. This was probably a build which he had never seen before. The version the Firaxis people bring to different con's or to invited playing sessions are quite limited. Just some game modes and limited list of civilizations. These are the versions Ed are used to at con's.

However, the latest version he got was obviously a version intended for internal beta testing and not for public showing. So the programmers at Firaxis sending this version to Ed also messed up. They took him by surprise since it wasn't limited as he had probably expected.

Ed's mistake was to not have looked through the latest version he got in private before the demo to double check that there is nothing there that shouldn't be revealed. In the game creation screen he should have been able to see all countries being included and that should have been a warning that maybe you get references elsewhere to those countries.

We also have to remember that it's not only the civilopedia mess up that has happened. On several occasions we've seen descriptions of buildings, terrain etc., indicating not yet revealed details. We e. g. saw the stave church mentioned in the tech that would yield temple. The latest reveal was that Peter I (Пётр I) was shown for a few seconds as a leader in a game video yesterday. We have been shown the entire tech trees even though Firaxis told the demo players to not scroll to the far right when making videos.

So it's very hard to NOT reveal anything you don't want to if you allow real game play to be shown. The leader list only showed 2 leaders we didn't know already (Gorgo and Harald Hardråde). Those two were shown on the blurry leader list, but we hadn't figured them out yet. All the other leaders were in fact known. We just got the name confirmation with Ed's mess up, but nothing about the leader ability, unique building, unique unit etc. So the weekly Firaxis civ videos are still interesting to follow. Therefore very little impact on the 2K marketing plans for Civ 6.

For 2K the end result has just been even more interest for Civ 6 and that's not a bad thing. So I don't believe for a second that Ed Beach will have to pay any price for the minor mess up by not being allowed to run demos anymore. If he's not visible lately then it's more likely he's too busy finalizing the game. He's the lead designer after all and the master mind behind the program where AI civs are playing each other from start to end game after game. I guess the Firaxis programmers need Ed now when they're finalizing the stats for all the little details in the game. I expect him to be back in time to properly introduce the game for us. At the latest when Civ 6 has gone gold. That can happen in 3-4 weeks.

8. m15a

m15a Emperor

Just to put Ed's lack of Twitter activity into perspective, Ed has posted about 30 tweets other than retweets or reply tweets (starting with @) in the past year. That is slightly more than a tweet every two weeks. He hasn't tweeted in approximately two weeks.

Yes, he's not literally so busy that he can't take time to tweet. But sometimes when people are busy, they neglect to do things that they do when they are less busy.

9. spfun

spfun King

Its a pity that both leaks happened though, Its much more enjoyable to not know who's coming each week.

10. BenZL43

BenZL43 Physician - still can't spell this correctly.

Just like the August 3rd player gameplay videos, only civilization that has been revealed will be included in the game.
    It looks like Ed didn't realize that the newer build includes all civilization; maybe he thought "Hey we can see German's agenda in Civilopedia, worry not, you won't find Norway or Russia, it won't be in the Civilopedia because it's not revealed yet.
    As aforementioned, it's a very new build and he himself haven't got a chance to properly look at it.

11. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

Well, one thing that it did was it eased the fact that Rome IS in the game. Going this long without Rome showcased would have been very worrisome...

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

12. Matthew.

Matthew. Deity

Sounds like a movie title

13. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I can't wait to read The Hardy Boys and the Disappearance of Ed Beach

14. Magil

Magil Monarch

Well, I'm of the opinion that for a lot of people it doesn't matter that much. Knowing who the leaders are is one thing, but I'm more interested in what the Civs do, considering how much emphasis VI is putting on differing play-styles for each Civ.

15. Suho1004

Suho1004 Warlord

I'm still trying to figure out what the big deal is. So they revealed the leaders. How does that change anything?

16. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

I think some people are trying to suggest that Ed Beach got in trouble for revealing the leaders before the marketing department had planned to. Mostly just kidding around, of course.

In reality, it doesn't change anything and in fact has created more hype for the game. The casuals are still blissfully unaware and the hardcore fanatics already knew almost all the leaders anyway.

So, it's all good for everyone. :)

17. Suho1004

Suho1004 Warlord

Got in trouble? What, so he was sent to the corner for a time-out? Or maybe he was grounded and isn't allowed to go outside and play with his friends for a week?

:lol:

Precisely.

18. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

It was Professor Plum in the drawing room with the lead piping! :eek:

In all seriousness, I don't think there's any cause for concern. He is the lead designer, there's no way they're going to let anything interfere with his work this close to release. I'm not even 100% convinced the leak was accidental (on balance I think it most likely was, but isn't really as huge a deal for them as we might think). Most likely he's a) extremely busy, and b) possibly taking a step back from Twitter for other reasons (could be embarrassment over the leak or not wanting to draw more attention to it, but I'm not convinced). Looking at his profile, he's not that prolific on Twitter to begin with, and he is still retweeting stuff.

19. Red Menace

Red Menace Prepare to be Menaced

I will be writing a book on the Disappearance of Ed Beach, I will tell all of my glorious adventures against Sid Meier and Gandhi, filled with action, nuclear warfare, and Sean Beans wisdom. also a movie adpatation and a TV series.

also funny coincidence that you live in Lawrence I used to live there (in the 90's).

20. Lucius_

Lucius_ King

I agree with a lot being said in this thread, like Ed Beach is fine etc. and these reveals do not change anything, but some folks in this thread seem to either not understand marketing rollouts or publisher/developer relationships, or both. Unintentional or unapproved "leaks" can be absolutely disastrous. People are not reasonable, actually enough people are unreasonable.

Let's say this leak happens and confirms multiple leaders and the community loves it and the hype goes through the roof. For whatever reason, lack of time, technical issues, anything, multiple leaders do not make it into the game at launch, or possibly ever. Game releases, there is massive fan backlash. Poor scores on Steam and User scores on Metacritic. The game makes 10% less sales than predicted at launch. This is a HUGE deal to publishers (read: corporations driven by profits for shareholders).

There are "accidental" leaks used to build hype (where an anonymous source has approval to leak information, usually to the media) and there are actual opps moments. I'm talking about the latter kind of leak here, just to be clear. An "opps" leak might reveal things that are not ready to be revealed, because they are not 100% confirmed, which can be problematic. We might look at this as not a big deal. We might be understanding that this is not final and anything can change, but the internet in general may not be so generous. In the end it probably won't be a big deal, but it could be or could have been disastrous in the eyes of the publisher.