1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Disappearance of Ed Beach

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by demidyad, Sep 4, 2016.

1. snipperrabbit!!

snipperrabbit!! Deity

Ed is probably busy fixing stuff and attending COM204 (communication module about not revealing facts too easily ;) !

2. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Wha.... :confused:

Don't attack me. I agree with you. :)

The revealing of leaders was intentional. Ed isn't a bumbling fool.

3. darko82

darko82 Emperor

Yeah, I just, you know... all those quotes against me etc. :lol: I cannot even recognize :)

4. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

People make mistakes... It doesn't mean that they are "bumbling fools". Nobody is perfect.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

5. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

It's all good. Anyway, the truth will come out in time. It always does. :)

6. Talcove

Talcove Slayer of Spies

Ed is in room 101 now.

7. bookman_

bookman_ Chieftain

Not only he stopped tweeting, but he also disappeared from all livestreams while he was doing one almost every two days.
    And the 'he's in the final rush' explanation doesn't really work, he's a designer, not a programmer or artist, and in the normal workflow of a game, there is almost no design left to do, only some minor balance choices, like how to make Scythia horse rush not OP, but these choices are a lot of work for testers, for designers it's just change some numbers, wait, and watch the result. That's probably why he was literally the face of the game for journalists and live events, he had just nothing more important to do.
    Of course I don't think he'll get fired or anything like that let's be serious even Nintendo only did it once, and they are nazis about not leaking.
    But NDA are a really common thing in the US game industry in, a lot of people are not even authorized to tell their families what they're working on, so somebody free enough to tell things like "This build much newer than the last time we did this: 5 or 6 weeks later" (about the germany live) is really rare. and I bet he's no longueur allowed to tweet by himself.

8. Sprenk

Sprenk Prince

You know, it IS Labor Day weekend, and people have lives, and they might take some time off, especially after recently traveling for business.

Now if anyone has evidence that Ed Beach has been replaced by a doppelganger, then by all means, share. Otherwise, what the heck is this thread about?! Does the poor guy have to wear an ankle bracelet so we can track his every move? Do you really think he's been thrown in the Marketing dungeon? Do they even have a dungeon? If they do, can we have a tour? :)

9. c4c6

c4c6 Prince

Der alte Barbarossa,
    der Kaiser Friederich,
    im unterird’schen Schlosse
    hält er verzaubert sich.

[...]

Und wenn die alten Raben
    noch fliegen immerdar,
    so muss ich auch noch schlafen
    verzaubert hundert Jahr.

Moderator Action: Please add an English translation, per site rules.

10. darko82

darko82 Emperor

Actually, there was two of them. And they clearly show their awareness what is going on in this video.

11. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

12. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

I give up...You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

13. darko82

darko82 Emperor

Fine. It won't change my mind, though :)

Good luck, and I am sorry for anything that may have insluted you before on the other thread, BTW. I know I got carried away too much.

------

14. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

"Due to conflict between developers and distributor civ6 production and release get suspended indefinitely. We'll provide more information soon"

15. cakes

cakes Prince

it's true that ed leaked it on purpose, which is why andrew tried to get his attention about the page, why the video hasn't been officially released, and why ed hasn't been heard from since. it's all marketing, man.

Moderator Action: Please heed above moderation text: "Please stop cluttering this thread with debate about whether Ed's reveal was intentional or not. There is another thread devoted entirely to that pointless topic: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=574290"
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

16. spfun

spfun King

When does the book/movie come out?

17. rastak

rastak Emperor

I'm hoping as soon as we find him they can start on that.

18. pholtz

pholtz King

Ed has been abducted by aliens. The good news is that he is alive and well on Mars, and hopefully the aliens will return him soon.

19. demidyad

demidyad Warlord

For some context, I used to work behind-the-scenes on a major Australian reality TV show. On the first day of the series, when everyone was settling in to work, one woman took a photo of her new desk and posted it to facebook with the caption something like "Excited for my first day working on [show name]!!"

She was immediately sacked and told to leave.

The show had a very strict social media policy because they were absolutely fanatical about marketing leaks.

I am not saying its the same situation here, because I don't think the marketing would be quite so strict and I don't think they would have let Ed Beach go, but I wanted to give an example of how fanatically strict these media campaigns can be. I am absolutely sure that Beach would have been told off (gently) by the suits and probably put on a much tighter leash and told he was not allowed to go "off-script" any more.

20. Thorburne

Thorburne Centurion

I worked very briefly at a game company handling support calls for a major online game that was coming out. It was in beta at the time. The company was very relaxed on certain things (we were told not to wear sits at the interview... Just casual clothes). However they were really strict about their content. We couldn't even say who we were working for. The firm that sent me for the interview couldn't even tell its applicants who they were.

Now, I doubt that Ed got (or will get) fired for the incident. Perhaps if he had been lower on the totem pole. But I'm sure their was some discomfort.