1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The district system

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Denkt, May 11, 2016.

1. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

Well, if you build your cities 6 tiles from each other and grow them to 30 level, you could build all the districts. But in real life they'll have smaller areas and not all tiles are workable (much less produce enough food) and you need farms... so smaller specialized cities will be the only way to play on any reasonable difficulty levels.

Yes, they exist and they are called 'Builders" in the interviews. Speaking about automation - it's not important for game balance, so it's likely to be one of last things implemented.

2. nyyfootball

nyyfootball Warlord

Does anyone know if the districts will visually merge with each other to form a megapolis or will they be visually distinct? It looks like in the screenshots that they will be visually distinct from each other.

I was hoping that districts would create organic urban sprawl, as opposed to just moving the university or theatre to separate tiles.

3. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

I'd say the merge could be implemented in later stages if graphics team have time for it.

4. Callonia

Callonia Deity

*hesistates* Uhh, Oh look! Those caravans! Go pillage them my soldiers!*

Now you shall starve as I feed myself at your own expense!

Anyways, I want to make a city with 35 districts. Cuz a city can work 36 hexs. if I have to feed it with caravans, so be it. I never use food caravans, only used them for gold unless I needed a city to grow fast early game and that was it.

5. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

1. Each district could be built once as far as we know, so no 35 districts.

2. We don't know whether food caravans are in. It could be even a global food system. Need to wait for the details.

6. Callonia

Callonia Deity

If each district can be built more than once, then we definitely will have Warhammer 40k people seriously look into getting civ6. People want their manufactorum worlds. lol

And, Coruscant. That planet is one single planetwide city. The City World! :lol: And to think civ6 will finally might give me the opportunity to have a coruscant.

7. nyyfootball

nyyfootball Warlord

The problem with the concept of ecumenopolis, at least visually, is that the districts appear, based on the screenshots, to occupy distinct tiles and do not merge with each other to form a megapolis.

I would have preferred a system of organic urban sprawl in which a city grows according to the topology and its own needs and wants, but this is a step in the right direction at the very least.

The ruler/government should have a role in city planning, but should not be the sole authority over said planning, especially in a democratic or other decentralized system of government, which features a liberal economic system. Central government control over city planning could, and maybe should be, a feature of more totalitarian styles of governance, political, economic and social.

8. nyyfootball

nyyfootball Warlord

Imagine New York City with only one university or one theatre.

I like the idea of "the district system", but what I can glean from the screenshots and press releases, the execution appears to pail in comparison with the mechanics potential.

9. ddd123

ddd123 Prince

A problem YOU see.
    But objectively there isnt such a problem.
    Large empires are only attractive to casual noobs, no real players wants to get crazy mircomanaging 20 cities and waiting hours waiting AI turn timers...

10. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

That's how it was always be in Civilization.

11. ddd123

ddd123 Prince

Well this could be easily solved if buildings would do global food And a city bonus

like granary +4 global food -10% food required to increase population or something

this way a city could go all out on food and help all empire though still being the primary beneficial for its own food

12. nyyfootball

nyyfootball Warlord

I realize that, but if the whole point of this "district system" is to promote more dynamic urban growth, then it would serve to reason that a large city would be able to have more than one university or more than one theater, etc.

It makes no sense to only be able build each district only once per city, as if there are 36 hexes which can be built on and only 35 improvements which are able to be built, then the only strategy would be to build each improvement for each city, with no regard for geographic placement or the role of that particular city in the bigger picture.

Allowing each district to be built only once per city takes all of the strategy out of it from a gameplay pov. Also, it is completely unrealistic historically and contemporaneously. Also it would serve to reason, for example, that a university itself would serve as the basis of a town or city unto itself, ala Oxford and Cambridge, and would not be present outside the city center.

These districts should be integrated into the city itself instead of essentially being the same as other extra-urban improvements from the previous games. A university is now the same as a farm or a mine, except that you can only build one per city.

13. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say here and why it should be the goal.

The district system is done for:
    - Encourage deeper city specialization.
    - Having all buildings visible on map.

These things don't require multiple districts of the same type. And this feature would cause a lot of balance issues.

14. nyyfootball

nyyfootball Warlord

From what I understand, based on the press releases, it that the creation of "the district system" is based on the art department's difficulty fitting large cities, with a ton of improvements, onto a single tile and to make it look nice, and not out of some desire to improve gameplay.

I would like to see organic urban sprawl, as opposed to the cities of the past games, which arbitrarily grow out equidistance away from a center of mass or origin point. Real cities, both now and all the back to the first cities of Sumer, did not grow in this manner. Real cities grow according to their populations own needs and wants.

It is also unrealistic that all cities, would either be or strive to be, comprehensive in nature. Not every city has a university, (at least historically, as most large cities around the world today feature at least one institution of higher learning, with the largest metropolises having multiple large universities, both private and public). Why have a university in City A when City A's residents can just take a bus to City B, nearby, to go to university?

It also bothers me, at least from a visual standpoint, that the districts won't merge together as the they are built to form a megapolis and instead are basically extremely restricted improvements.

The shape of a city can have a profound influence on its function and purpose.http://www.art.net/~hopkins/Don/simcity/manual/history.html http://www.fractalcities.org/book/Fractal Cities Chapter 1.pdf

Shape can influence how happy people are at the basest levels (how long is a commute? how far away is the store? are there options for recreation?), the efficacy of crime and crime prevention (and governance in general. can the local constabulary really prevent rural banditry if they are miles away at any given time), the efficacy of business and trade (this goes along with the happiness quality as economic well being can be intimately connected to the wellbeing of a society), etc.

My other concern is island cities and other cities which are topographically restricted in one way or another. Would single tile island cities be able to house universities and theaters even though they do not possess the land required in order to build said districts?

15. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

I find your rather artistic description of "casual noobs" and "real players" vastly ironic, especially considering the subject matter.

16. Ikael

Ikael King

It is extremely weird to me that you can only build one district type once for each city (out of the 12 options) as it seems to go against the stated purpouse of this mechanism. I mean:

- If you want for the terrain to condition the city, you would want to give lots of terrain specific option for districts, and many options for the same terrain. The number of district types would need to go far beyond 12, me thinks.

- If you want to encourage city specialization you would need to allow cities to have several districts of the same type. Otherwise only small cities would be specialized, while every big city would become the same, with each and every 12 district present + whichever other improvements you need to support its popullation.

I am not getting how a "only one district per city" would accomplish any of these stated goals.

Airports could very well end up working like their own district indeed! As for park districts, perhaps a bonus for adjacence with natural wonders, mountains or coast could be in order?

I do not think that city districts have "specific" buildings. I think that civ specific districts would work something like this:
    - Financial district: It allows your city to host up to 4 commerce buildings
    - Roman Forum: It allows your city to host up to 4 commerce or cultural buildings (thus giving you more flexibility than the old financial district that it replaces)
    - Industrial district: It allows your city to host up to 4 production buildings
    - German mittelstand: It allows your city to host up to 6 production buildings, recieves extra production bonuses if you build it next to a river (more powerful than the industrial district that it replaces)

Judging by their real life effects, suburbs would need to inflict pollution, social and economical damage to your empire, in exchange of giving happiness to their higher classes :p

Talking seriously, I do hope that you can also build districts "vertically" too when reaching the modern era, furthering specializing them and your cities with them too. For example: The generic industrial districts could evolve into either "car factory" district or "sillicon valley" type of district

17. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

First goal is completely unrelated to districts. With second you miss the critical point. Ultimate goal of strategy is to have choice - several viable ways of doing things, having different effectiveness depending on outside conditions. Uber-specialized city having only 1 district types are no-brainers and thus this don't differ from non-specialized city system at all.

18. Ikael

Ikael King

Well, developers made a big deal out of situational bonuses of terrain affecting districts and the whole "playing with the land". If developers wants terrain to configure our cities (as they have stated many times over) then they will need to introduce far more district types, I think.

Uber-specialized cities are not necessarily a no brainer, since there are also several degrees to specialization. And limiting the cities to just one of each type do cuts a lot of freedom and possible strategies. If I can build many districts of the same type I do have a plethora of choices. Do I make this city 100% industrial? 50% cultural and 50% financial? And so on.

However, If I can only build one of each district, the decision of what my city will become would have already been took away for me: every big enough city will eventually be a jack of all trades with one district of each type. The fact that I can decide the order queue doesn't matter one bit if the final outcome is going to be always same. I am not convinced the slightest by that system.

19. Denkt

Denkt Reader

In Civilization IV you could build pretty much all buildings in any city but still the game was about specialization.

We know there is cost to districts such as you need a citizen to run it which mean a worker less out on the fields. You need to invest resources into the construction of the buildings.

Specialization is great because you need to invest less resources into a city and the citizens are generally significant more productive in a specalized city then a jack of all trades city.

Districtes have their optimal location, like a religious district is great if it is placed inside a forest which mean such city should try to maximize its faith production.

20. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

in the IGN rewind video, Dennis Shirk talks about fighting in the districts. mentions campus's holy sites and neighbourhoods.

edit: at 7min in the video