The district system

You are not supposed to get many districts, no city will have all buildings. Instead the game encourage you to specialize each city.

Still... one public school being shared between several cities?

Must be one hell of a school.

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but how do you avoid literally every tile getting spammed with city improvements if they're going to be sprawled all over the map like what the devs are suggesting?

I remember the average city in Civ 5 can end up with anywhere from 15 to 20 buildings. Seems like making them all tile improvements would clutter the map to hell and leave little room for other improvements like farms and mines.

I think, from what we've seen, only wonders take up their own tile. There are other tiles, which are districts, which may have multiple related buildings. Plus some buildings are inside the main city tile.

I don't understand how you think Global food will reduce ICS?

Easy. Say your civ have 10 food at start and each new city requires 4 food on top the population requirements. You'll have to build significant amount of farms to expand the empire with third city and you'll probably need some buildings to build fifth. Just an example.

Anyway, the district system appears to be the method they are using to combat ICS in this version. It will be a struggle to spam cities all over the place when each city needs districts to be productive.

No, it supports it. You don't need districts to actually spam cities and you need as many cities as possible for specialization later.

I remember the average city in Civ 5 can end up with anywhere from 15 to 20 buildings. Seems like making them all tile improvements would clutter the map to hell and leave little room for other improvements like farms and mines.

They are grouped in districts by 4 and you have to specialize your cities. But even if you build all 12 districts, the maximum city space is 36 tiles, so the remaining 24 are more than 20 we had in Civ1-4.

A problem in civilization 5 is that you can do very well if not better with only having a few cities instead of building a large empire.

This is something the developers of Civilization 6 want to change and both the district system and the active research system are ment to encourage expansion but at the same time they don't encourage ICS (which is only really encouraged if population is hardcapped).

A large empire may have some disadvantages but it is likely it will outperform a smal empire.

Sorry if this has already been discussed, but how do you avoid literally every tile getting spammed with city improvements if they're going to be sprawled all over the map like what the devs are suggesting?

Improvements only show up on tiles assigned to a district. So you'll see a library next to mountains if you assign a science district there. This is actually much preferable to the farm/trading post spam we see in civ5

I don't know if this had been mentioned, but my hope is that districts will finally solve the issue of having to have a city directly on the coast for it to be coastal. I foresee a situation where a harbor district can be built up to 3-5 tiles from the city center.

well the devs have said that you won't be able to build all 12 districts in a single city. So it looks each city won't have that many districts where it would cover the whole map.

No, each building is not a tile improvement. Some buildings will still be in the city center. Also, you build a district on a tile and each district can have multiple buildings. And the devs have said that the player will need to build farms to produce food to support districts. So cities will need farms. The player will need to balance between building farms and building districts. You won't be able to just build districts because your city would starve. Plus, we know that there is a pop requirements for districts so your city will need to reach a certain pop before it can build more districts.

I expect the capital to end up with the full complement of districts, but every other city will tend to specialize more.

Now, the one thing I haven't seen discussed: if you need a certain pop to be able to support a number of districts, even at 1 pop per district, if you want to build a library, shrine, Colosseum, market, amphitheater, and lighthouse in a city, it needs to be at least pop 6. And if military comes from the encampment district, looks like we'll be forced to have that to build military, so now we'd be pop 7 and you're still fairly early classical era at that point. I guess with the monument/granary going on the main city tile, that's still not too bad, but it definitely will impact things. I guess that will also mean that you can't just pop down a new city and buy all those things right away later in the game. I would hope that we'll have some way later game to have cities start at a higher pop then.

Please find the source if you can. I never seen this. What we've seen so far is - the district system is "unstacking" of cities, with buildings moved outside of the city. Never seen even slight mention of multiple buildings of the same type. Screenshots too have only 1 district of each type per city.

Of course I could be wrong, also this could be changed in process, but I don't see any reason for allowing multiple districts of the same type.

I have not seen any proof of this. In fact, I am pretty sure, the opposite is true and cities can build multiple districts of the same type. It would be silly to artificially limit cities to only one of each type.

I believe you can create multiple copies of the same district, evidenced by screenshot 1
Spoiler :

The East and SouthWest sides of this mountain appear to have the same buildings, one appears to be at a lower level then the other.

You can see two cities on that screenshot so while two districts are shown they could belong to different cities.

I believe you can create multiple copies of the same district, evidenced by screenshot 1
Spoiler :

The East and SouthWest sides of this mountain appear to have the same buildings, one appears to be at a lower level then the other.

But they would be in different cities. The top one belongs to the coastal city, the bottom one belongs to the city next to it in the mountains.

But they would be in different cities. The top one belongs to the coastal city, the bottom one belongs to the city next to it in the mountains.

oh, I didn't realize that was a second city, I did notice the second obelisk but figured it was a district of some sort.

Existing screenshots have all but confirmed that already.

Good point! Just revisited the screenshots and the one with the Pyramids and the Great Lighthouse has the city center clearly one tile from the coast... Definitely something I've always wanted to see in Civ!

In theory, this is a brilliant idea.

In practice, I already know I won't be buying this game. It's simply more of Civilization V.

Earth maps can't work. No map at all can work, not if I want an empire builder where I can have 50+ cities and 100+ units.

Civilization is a >civilisation< game, an empire builder. But ever since IV, Civilization hasn't been that anymore. We got tactical wargaming. And now we have tactical city building. I'll say no.

There's a total of 12 districts and six tiles surrounded cities. I wonder if districts take up half a tile?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

District take up a whole tile and you can build them up to 3 tiles away from a city. No city is ment to build all 12 districts.

District take up a whole tile and you can build them up to 3 tiles away from a city. No city is ment to build all 12 districts.

In one of the articles, they stated - If you build all districts in a city, you'll only have enough tiles for food for the population (they didn't say how much pop though).

So, you won't be able to build Wonders if you go for all 12 districts, but you'll certainly be able to build all districts if you want.

Top Bottom