1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The DYOS Consul (DYOS X: 2007-2009)

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by Thorvald of Lym, Sep 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Want me to put your picture on a milk cartin like I did with e350tb (Timmy) in future comics ? :)

2. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

Due to recent conflicting opinions on the magic rule, I'll try to explain what we meant when it was decided.

The problem with magic (and parallel universes, time travel, etc.) is that they violate the KISS philosophy: Keep It Simple Stupid. The Stylesrjverse demonstrated that when everyone plays by their own rules, comprehension and continuity are put in jeopardy. We're not banning magic for magic's sake alone, but we need to maintain some sort of common ground. One of the reasons DYOS doesn't have as many participants as it used to is because people have a hard time following the story, and certain posters make this task harder than others.

Like every other rule, it can be violated if and only if it provides substantial humour. Some people know how to work this, others don't, and the restrictions are for those who don't. Sorry to single you out, Styles, but you tend to drift without borders.

If people think magic and the such can be used without wreaking all havoc, then of course we can lift the restriction; but like I said, some posters can use it correctly, and others can't.

3. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

I'm kind of annoyed by it- capturing Styles is like sinking that Civ3 AI's Settler on a Galley. :rolleyes:

4. Stylesrj

Stylesrj Tabitha SEAL

That time, I didn't escape with magic. I just made it LOOK like magic and then Dostya threw a smoke potion in. If you looked carefully, you could see myself, Dostya and Brackman running off in the distance while you're all distracted.

That was the joke, that somehow a guy like me who knows magic would reply on a non-magical means of getting outta there.

5. e350tb

e350tb Stupendously Illogical Englishman

Can I have an update, namely on what the heck is going on?

6. choxorn

Tojo, authoritarian "ruler" of Hokkaido, recently had his place stormed by CG, Thorvald, and Stylesrj. I then stormed the palace a second time, with the intent of capturing Styles, who "teleported."

7. mythmonster2

mythmonster2 BEC NOIR! RUN!

Oh, and I'm half-insane ruler of Apolyton, have started a Poly-CFC war, but I have not attacked yet...

8. Stylesrj

Stylesrj Tabitha SEAL

When in doubt, smoke potions work far better than teleporting :)

9. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    If you wish, I could include you in the comic I am currently making :). Lately I have been placing Timmy on Milk Cartons with the message "Have you seen me?".
    Smoke "potions" are so overrated when a smoke grenade would do.

10. Thorvald of Lym

I think he meant SITREP, and choxorn pretty much summed it up. CG and company have 'liberated' Hokkaidō from Captain Tōjō. Our main goal is trying to track down Mr. Toyoda, the man who kept Thunderfall's soul safe from kulade.

11. Stylesrj

Stylesrj Tabitha SEAL

Smoke grenades are so not Medieval Fantasy :p
    We're working in an anachronistic stew here. Next thing you know, we'll have cities on wheels, and everyone is flying in zeppelins and trying to figure out flight.

12. e350tb

That'd be good, thanks a bunch :D !

13. Thorvald of Lym

CG and Co. are closing in on Mr. Toyoda, and I suspect we'll make visual contact by the end of the month. That said, there is still one more top-secret facsimile available. CG, Styles, choxorn and tailless each have one...
    What about YOU?

As soon as all five files are accounted for, I'll raffle off the special prize.

14. Stylesrj

Stylesrj Tabitha SEAL

Oh, I was supposed to keep the secret message :p
    Sorry, might have lost it during the plot.

EDIT: No wait, found it!

15. e350tb

How do we get one?

16. choxorn

I lost the message too, and my idiot computer won't let me look at it. :mad:

17. Thorvald of Lym

You voice your interest, and I send you the secret code. I take it you are voicing interest..?

Is it that you can't access the attachment, or you misplaced the encryption key? If the latter, I'll re-send the code. If the former... I'll figure something out.

18. choxorn

The former. :(

19. e350tb

Yah, comrade.

20. Stylesrj

Stylesrj Tabitha SEAL

So you have Red Alert 3, Captain2?

Please do tell me how bad/good it is. Especially the campaign structure, you seem to have only scratched the surface on how bad it seems. I don't like the idea that you have Japan in the game and they're just a big stereotype of manga, anime and everything else Japanese. Do they have big mecha, godzilla, girls in miniskirts who have psychic powers and also katanas? Yup.

I mean, sure the Soviets are a stereotype of the Soviet Union, with comrade everywhere, hammers & sickles and red, but at least that's fun. Besides, a vehicle which shoots soldiers out a freaking cannon? I never knew the Soviets loved the Free Market's circus shows...
    And why does Tanya wear a tank top and long pants and Natasha wear a long shirt and only short shorts? If you combine them together, you might actually get someone who's protected against enemy fire and the cold.

Yeah, I have serious issues on how the game is presented to me. I especially hate the Empire of the Rising Sun, with their katanas, battlemechs with eye lasers and the Engineer who's just a businessman with glasses... although the whole submarine that flips into an aircraft does look cool, especially on how it shoots photon lasers or something as well... pewpewpew.

Woah, that's a rant... I'm thinking of actually NOT purchasing the game because of the Empire of the Rising Sun. Everything sounds cool, except for the Japanese Stereotypes. Soldiers charging with Katanas... assassins who assassinate with katanas and act like freaknig ninjas... if I were going to assassinate someone, I'd use a weapon that's more modern, namely a gun... not some heated piece of steel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.