1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

The DYOS Consul

Discussion in 'Arts & Entertainment' started by Thorvald of Lym, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Thorvald of Lym

Thorvald of Lym A Little Sketchy

Purpose: To oversee the DRAW Your Own Story thread, to make recommendations pertaining to the thread, and to uphold the quality of DYOS overall.

Link to current thread
    Link to DYOS X, Part II
    WRITE Your Own Story!

Any forumer who posts a cartoon is automatically entered into the consulate, and can debate on issues relating to the story. To pass a motion, a majority vote of 66% of the consulate is required. If, however, a week has passed and no further action has been taken regarding the motion, the vote will be tallied as it stands.

Members are suspended from the consulate if they have not contributed to the story for a week (they are automatically reinstalled when they post a new cartoon). If you will be inactive for a prolonged period of time, please be courteous and notify the consul beforehand.

The consul oversees the following:
    * Planning and organizing the story
    * Placing posters on probation (see below)
    * Expelling posters from the consulate (and thus, involvement in the story)
    * Decisions regarding the future of the thread itself

If a poster has violated any of the rules of DYOS, the consulate will vote to place the perpetrator on probation.
    1st Probation: 2 days between comics
    2nd Probation: 3 days between comics
    3rd Probation: 5 days between comics
    If the offender continues to break the rules, the consul may suspend the offender indefinitely.

Note that the intent of the consul is not to control the story's contributors, but to improve plot coherency, and hopefully the story overall. Whether or not you are a contributor or observer, please feel free to voice your recommendations. We're here as much for your enjoyment as our own!

Members:
    (Suspended names in brackets)
    Angst; (Captain2); (choxorn); Chukchi Husky; (CivCube); Triumvir CivGeneral; (DaemonDD); (e350tb); Gruekiller; JohannaK; (KaiserElectric); (Kan' Sharuminar); (kill fire); (MartinLuther); (NinjaCow64); Omega124; (Perfection); (Reus); Robert Can't; (SamSniped); (Stylesjl); First Lady (Stylesrj); Vice-Consul (taillesskangaru); Consul Thorvald of Lym; Tolni

6 votes needed for majority ruling

First Probation:
    none :goodjob:

Second Probation:

Third Probation:

Expelled:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  2. Gruekiller

Gruekiller Back From The Beyond

First. huehuehuehue

But in all seriousness, I have made my first post in the latest installment of DYOS! And I love that fresh, new Consulate smell...

3. CivCube

CivCube Misbehavin'

Oh ehms to the gee!

4. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Challenge accepted

Oh hay a new office.

5. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

Let the whining begin!

Also, where should Perf go?

6. NinjaCow64

NinjaCow64 The Continuation of the Dream Supporter

Mmmmmm...there's nothing like the smell of fresh thread in the morning evening. :p

7. Stylesrj

Stylesrj Tabitha SEAL

It's out already? But it's not even the weekend!
    Oh well. I'll see if I can get something done by Sunday (my time!)

Time for a darker and edgier Stylesrj comic...

8. CivGeneral

CivGeneral Valkyrie Cybernetic Grand General

(And about damn time too)

9. Thorvald of Lym

RON PAUL WARNED US
    WE DIDN'T LISTEN

Somewhere in South-East Asia. That place gets no love from us.

10. CivCube

CivCube Misbehavin'

Is Perfection going Gangnam Style?

11. Gruekiller

Gruekiller demolished Naypyidaw for S's and G's. Does having your country get beaten up on by a DYOSer count as love?

12. e350tb

e350tb Stupendously Illogical Englishman

I have a plan, but I'll need to know - is anybody using the Gogf?

13. Gruekiller

14. CivGeneral

CivGeneral Valkyrie Cybernetic Grand General

That has been the intentions of the beginning of my comic for 12. When I describe "tail-end", I'm referring to the last few comics in FTR. The only difference is that the comic for 12 mainly focuses on me instead of Nozomi.

15. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

Red October, Standing By.

16. Thorvald of Lym

17. Perfection

Perfection The Great Head.

sorry going to space cuz everyone else is doing it.

I will...

18. Stylesrj

Stylesrj Tabitha SEAL

Just so you know, I'm hoping to get a Mailbag session done this week for my other series (To The Infinity & Bed Bath & Beyond).

So if you have questions to ask, PM me here or on DeviantART. (Now I feel horrible for just doing that)

19. Angst

Angst Rambling and inconsistent

I was looking forward to participating in DYOS XII and really wanted to try invest at least one comic into it, something I have issues finding time to between all the other creative endeavours I've taken upon myself. (For the uninitiated, I'm writing literature and music. A lot. Of both of it. And between studies, time to do something I'm not good at - drawing and comicking - feels really sparse.) It was also good to see someone finally take some initiative, which I've tried to force, of course, and it fit perfectly that Thorvald did it.

But honestly, immediately after the OP's introduction, the thread feels completely the same. CG carries over something complex from DYOS XI, which is technically fine, as he feels a need to tie the plotlines together, but that should belong in DYOS XI. Now I'm seeing him duelling some enemy-I-don't-know-because-I-did-not-follow-and-therefore-honestly-I-don't-care, and I have once again no idea what's going on in Stylesrj's comic either. But perhaps I'm just dense. Perhaps I'm lacking something. Perhaps it's my own attitude problem. Perhaps this just ain't for me no more. Perhaps I'm just finding excuses not to draw for DYOS anymore.

But my fundamental a-hole point is that with the entitlement of kneejerk retrospection, we should've done that bloody hard reboot and just rolled with whatever showed up.

I'm sorry about the rudespeak. I get that I didn't build Thorvald's, or CG's, or Stylesrj's intricate worlds and character rosters. I've never gained the attachment to these things that they might've built as I didn't make them. But that also means that I don't intrisically care about these worlds. I could give a damn. Which means that personally, I give a damn whether they're carried over. Also, I, perhaps contrary to them, understand that just because something doesn't sequelized doesn't mean it disappears. These worlds don't die if you guys drop them. That's the nature of literature. Get over the attachment issues, people. If you made something and put it out there, it will live forever, and should not hurt letting go. They're not living things.

Anyways, this is perhaps just me excusing myself from participating in the thread. You know, telling myself it's other people's fault. And it's really not you guys' responsibility to keep me active in the thread. You should give a damn. Rant over, over and out.

I'll still try to participate ofc, just wth.

EDIT: For what it's worth, I just realized I unwittingly started a whole subthread and plotline about my destruction of the world. You note how I don't cry about that thread or those plotlines not getting attention anymore? Yeah, seriously: Just kill that world. Story's done.

20. Stylesrj

Stylesrj Tabitha SEAL

I respect your opinion about not giving a damn about our worlds. It's probably just an attitude thing and I have severe attachment issues with fictional characters. Seriously, I recycle characters and worlds a lot in my fiction.
    Can't let go of an idea or person really.

Although, I'd like to add an issue of my own:

It's a good start, but DYOS normally has something to seek.
    I can't exactly find anything to seek in the OP. I could make my own, but like Angst said, that's world-building he can do without because who cares if "My characters from DYOS XI" are seeking "Mysterious artefact they made up".
    It's mostly their plot and no one else can really "join in" as they don't know how the item works.

If the OP provides it, we can make up stuff as we go along. Like the Monkey Statue. Or the Avatars going rogue. Or the Hacker.