The Egyptians=Greek?

Vercingetorix, yes, very true, Brennus is nowhere near Vercing. in prowess or connections, his leadership was admirable.

Xerxes wouldn't be the correct choice in persia, I agree, Darius is much more likely to be the better ruler.

My list:

France - Charlemagne
Celts - Vercingetorix
Byzantium - Justinian, come on, I haven't played Byzantines because of that, I felt betrayed. Belasarius conquered under the great Justinian, and uniting all of rome again under one banner for a short time, was brilliance.
Persia - Darius (duh)
Egypt - Amenhotep

The BIGGEST CHANGE.........Dutch to Gustolphus, as he came to their aid and saved their butts in the 30 years war.

Tomoyo said:
Charlemagne wasn't exactly French...

Cleopatra wasn't exactly Egyptian
Catherine wasn't exactly Russian

Not important, I say :)

He was an amazing man who united the Franks under a common banner even more then his father did, and sent them to gaining more land. If it wasn't for him, you more than likely wouldn't have a france to speak of.

Marcus Cicero said:
Vercingetorix, yes, very true, Brennus is nowhere near Vercing. in prowess or connections, his leadership was admirable.

Xerxes wouldn't be the correct choice in persia, I agree, Darius is much more likely to be the better ruler.

My list:

France - Charlemagne
Celts - Vercingetorix
Byzantium - Justinian, come on, I haven't played Byzantines because of that, I felt betrayed. Belasarius conquered under the great Justinian, and uniting all of rome again under one banner for a short time, was brilliance.
Persia - Darius (duh)
Egypt - Amenhotep

The BIGGEST CHANGE.........Dutch to Gustolphus, as he came to their aid and saved their butts in the 30 years war.

I agree on Vercingetorix and Darius, but Gustolphus for the Dutch?!
You've got to be joking! The 30 years war is known as the 80 years war in the Netherlands, which started in 1568. Yes, 50 years before the 30 years war. The Dutch had been fighting for nearly a century already and enjoyed a GA in spite of the loooooong war. I really don't think they needed any sving from Swedish kings...

Tomoyo said:
Charlemagne wasn't exactly French...

Fully agree.
That is something I can get almost upset about.
Karl spoke German, spent most of his time in Germany, had his preferred residence in Germany, died in Germany, and is buried in Germany.
Yet, for unknown reasons, the English-speaking world calls him by his French name, and for consistency, uses the French name for his German pseudo-capital ("Aix-la-Chapelle"). In fact, he is considered less French in France than in the English world :crazyeye:.
Charlemagne is even a French MGL, while 2 of the 5 German MGLs are Saxons from Britain - and another one is spelled completely wrong, with the 4th (correct) one called by his Italian nickname :mad:.
I just wonder why they hadn't called Rommel 'Desert Fox'...

Right out of my head:

Arminius
Friedrich I. Barbarossa
Scharnhorst
Richthofen
Rommel

There are oodles of medieval choices: Heinrich der Löwe, Ludwig der Baier (with 'i', not 'y'), Albrecht der Bär
And Prussians, like Gneisenau, Der Alte Dessauer, Moltke.

But I have no problem with the most famous ones.

luceafarul said:
Definitely not. What do you have against Knud? And how can you call yourself vikingruler and claim such things?

i said leif ericsson because he is the most famous viking leader. even if knud had the majority of europe and maybe he was a better leader but do a lot of people know about him. a lot of the heads were chosen because of fame. not neccesarly based on their success as a leader. if you ask 10 random people who knud and who leif ericsson are, i gurantee you that maybe 2 will of heard of knud when at least 8 will have heard of leif ericsson. also, we don't know a lot about knud so it's possible that he didn't even exsist. when we know for a fact that leif ericsson exsisted and of his feats. he is probably better then knud anyway. all knud did was control denmark and norway and some of england, the vikings came from that area and the viking soliders were the best at that time, knud had little do with it. :p

Leif Ericsson wasn't a leader at all, he's just famous because he happened to find a place that would end up as USA.
Building a house in Ans aux Meadows is nothing compared to invading England.

And those 10 random people are all Americans, I assume. :p

@Doc: :thanx:

mrtn said:
he's just famous because he happened to find a place that would end up as USA.
@Doc: :thanx:

actually he founded Newfoundland which is now modern-day Canada. also, knud only reigned 19 years which is a disgrace for a ruler of the vikings. the most feared people of that time and he only reigned 19 years.

I would have to go with Shapur for the Persians (yes yes, I know, hes Sassanid but that just nitpicking isn't it?) He lived for what? 73-80 years and was really the only thing keeping the Romans from having all the Middle-East (and he did keep control of Armenia for along time).

Definatly not Joan for the French, Louis or Napoleon as has been said.

Herald Hadrada has my vote for Scandanavia.

As for the Byzantine, Theodora was much like the wife of the U.S president today, she just funded the building of theatres, feeding the poor, etc.
Still should be without a doubt Justinian.

Alexander was a Macedonian which is directly north of Greece, he united Greece, and he is very famous, I think he should stay.

Amenhotep or Ramses II for Egypt sounds good.

The one the bugs me the most (aside from the Byzantine, well, I dont even want them in the game) is Rome, Ceasar was a great ruler but Augustus (Octavian) or Trajan would be much better choices for a leader head.

GrandSultan said:
I would have to go with Shapur for the Persians (yes yes, I know, hes Sassanid but that just nitpicking isn't it?) He lived for what? 73-80 years and was really the only thing keeping the Romans from having all the Middle-East (and he did keep control of Armenia for along time).

Definatly not Joan for the French, Louis or Napoleon as has been said.

Herald Hadrada has my vote for Scandanavia.

As for the Byzantine, Theodora was much like the wife of the U.S president today, she just funded the building of theatres, feeding the poor, etc.
Still should be without a doubt Justinian.

Alexander was a Macedonian which is directly north of Greece, he united Greece, and he is very famous, I think he should stay.

Amenhotep or Ramses II for Egypt sounds good.

The one the bugs me the most (aside from the Byzantine, well, I dont even want them in the game) is Rome, Ceasar was a great ruler but Augustus (Octavian) or Trajan would be much better choices for a leader head.

Caesar is to Rome as is Hannibal to Carthage.

While Augustus was a greater leader (he stuck around longer) Caesar was one of the greatest and most famous Romans.

I don't have a problem with him being there at all. There are significantly poorer choices in the game for other civilizations.

I am irked by the Byzantines being in the game, it's particulary irksome playing as Rome and having to conquer them.

I don't understand the fascination with Darius (for Persia): he indeed was more of a great ruler than Xerxes, but still he is most famous for being on the losing side at Marathon.
Cyrus or Cambyses seem better choices. IIRC, they were the real builders of the Persian empire.

vikingruler said:
actually he founded Newfoundland which is now modern-day Canada. also, knud only reigned 19 years which is a disgrace for a ruler of the vikings. the most feared people of that time and he only reigned 19 years.
He didn't found anything. He did find Newfoundland, but so what? Do you really think more than 1000 scandinavians ever even heard about that? I don't. No one cares about Newfoundland.

And 19 years is a hell of a long time to be king. Sweden had 5 different kings in the period 1060-1070, link.

mrtn said:
He didn't found anything. He did find.
And 19 years is a hell of a long time to be king.

for a civ other then the vikings 19 years is long. but with the vikings, the rulers build an empire and rule until they die, the vikings were so powerful 19 years is really pathetic. and still 19 years isn't a lot. most rulers of any civ. ruled for the majority of their lives. like in england and egypt, they had dynasties, one ruler would rule for their entire life and on their deathbed name the heir. ruling for 19 years might not be long enough to get a good heir.

luceafarul said:
Egypt. Cleopatra to Akhenaton.
Akanaton is best known for being a monotheist when that wasn't fashionable in Egypt and for being Tutenkamen's father. I think a better choice is Ramses II.

England. Elisabeth to Henry VII( NB! The 7th not the 8th!!! IMHO one of the most brilliant rulers ever, it was his administrative skills and innovative ideas in economy that laid the basis for England's glory).
I have no problem with Elizabeth I. She ruled England during one of the country's greatest political and cultural periods. Under her dynamic rule, Protestantism was firmly established as the state religion, England replaced Spain as the primier maritime and commercial nation, and the Golden Age of English literature began. And unlike the British monarchs of the past 300 years, she was English rather than German. :queen:

Now no one has mentioned the spanish yet.
Now don't get me wrong because no doubt ilizebeth would be #1 choice. But i think in Civ4 they should have an origal general for each one besides the leader head. Because for spain CORTEZ goes all the way as a military general...

vikingruler said:
for a civ other then the vikings 19 years is long. but with the vikings, the rulers build an empire and rule until they die, the vikings were so powerful 19 years is really pathetic. and still 19 years isn't a lot. most rulers of any civ. ruled for the majority of their lives. like in england and egypt, they had dynasties, one ruler would rule for their entire life and on their deathbed name the heir. ruling for 19 years might not be long enough to get a good heir.

he spent a lot of time sharing rule with his brother. anyway, ruled for a long time, just not all the time by himself.

vikingruler said:
... but with the vikings, the rulers build an empire and rule until they die, the vikings were so powerful 19 years is really pathetic. ...
Well, I'm out of this debate, as you obviously don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Top Bottom