The Egyptians

Most C3C players felt sorry for the Egyptians' civ traits being towned down. That's gotta hurt. However, their UUs are dirt cheap with the stat of ADM(2.1.2) 20 shields. It is possible that one of your cities might produce the exact cost of UU in single turn as long as you mine the hills, or grassland with bonus resources. If I ever find any horses, I don't have to build archers if I start somewhere away from swamps and jungles. I usually build 10 - 20 of them ASAP to harass any AI close to my territory if necessary.

I have rather often seen AI Egypt as the winner. I know none of you guys have ever seen such a thing because you always win. -:).

But maybe you often have seen AI Egypt as number 2?

:egypt: My first ever game was with the Egyptians, and though I lost that one, I found it to my liking. The Egyptians are still my favourite civilization; I'm almost fanatical about them, though I have played others (especially the Germans). I like the Religous trait, the culture gained from fast temples and cathedrals is a good thing for empire-builders like myself, and I've never had a city defect to a foreign civilization when playing as Egypt. Fast road-building with the Industrious trait is good for economy, plus it allows for rapid expansion, almost as well as the Expansionistic trait, though on the other hand, I do sometimes overextend myself in the early game. The early GA with the War Chariot hardly applies to my games, as I have almost always started an even earlier one anyway by building the Pyraminds, which satisfies both necessary traits for a wonder-started GA. While you don't have to be Egyptian to build Pyramids, this is worthwhile as I appreicate having the equivalent of free food storage; the time and resources spent on building granaries can be diverted into other improvements, like Barracks or Settlers (did I mention that I like to spread out?). While they're not the only civilization that I play, I do find the Egyptians easier than the others that I have played. :egypt:

Yes, in vanilla civ3 Egyptians are great. Unfortunately in conquest they are barely average. But still fun civ to play... Biggest mistake in Conquest was making agriculture-trait so darn powerful. And Egypt also has two traits that both were toned down, not good because I would have liked to see its top-tier status remain.

I still haven't found out..what has been "toned down" in the Industrial Trait??:confused:

allhailIndia said:
I still haven't found out..what has been "toned down" in the Industrial Trait??:confused:

The worker speed bonus was reduced from 100% in vanilla and PTW to 50% in Conquests.

Pardon me for bumping this old thread, has anyone tried using Egyptians to win early domination/conquest victory on tiny maps, difficulty level Demigod or above?

I do love the Egyptians even though they don't quite make the Top Civ category for me these days.....In early HOF attempts, I used the Egyptians many times........especially before the advent of the Scientific Great Leader!........Ahh, fond memories. :)

This may be some more useless information for you Mad2rix, but I have used the Carthagians for 3 Conquest/Domination victories at Sid level (Tiny Maps) that can be found in the HOF Tables. :)

Yeah, I've opened one of your sid games as Carthagians, and people might be curious to know how you are able to build Statue of Zues during 2000+ B.C. The Ancient Cavalries always render useful on smaller maps. I probably should've build that Great Wonder when I played as Egypt on my first Diety game, however I didn't have time to waste each 5 turns to allow AC to pop out as I keep on building horde of war chariots.

Speaking of HOF, there used to be a Hittites and Sumeria for Conquest/Domination victories at Sid level (Tiny Maps), and now they're vanished from the slot.

I think I selected the Carthagians primarily so I could immediately research Mathematics....and simultaneously built Statue Of Zeus by long-hand! These days, I'd also be looking for an early SGL from Mathematics! ;)

Back to Egypt.........I think there is still great potential for this Civ on the higher levels.............I only tried Egypt at Sid level on Tiny Pangaea maps. IMO, there is good potential for a win by Conquest with Egypt on Tiny Continents or Archipelago. The AI is just not very good at attacking across the Sea..........so that you would have time to churn out hordes of War Chariots and then ship them to a Beachhead on the AI's island. Sounds like it would be fun. :)

I've only tried Egyptians once, and I am wondering, what should I build first, warriors for expanding, or temple?

If you are playing the Egyptians, think War, War, War Chariot. Discover the Wheel, locate the nearest horse, build a road to it, settle there or build a Colony, then build War Chariots and defeat your opponents.

To answer your question, Warriors are good as MP's and are useful for scouting out the Horse resource. No need to build Temples. ;)

AnsarKing101 said:
I've only tried Egyptians once, and I am wondering, what should I build first, warriors for expanding, or temple?

Do train a warrior or two if the city is undefended, then the temple (it'll be fast), then a settler or more military. If you can snag the Pyramids (and thus not have to worry about granaries), which is easy enough with the Egyptians at Chieftain to Monarch, make military units and Settlers and expand.

I replayed one of Boogaboos tiny maps found in his old Conquest thread in the HOF forum w/ Egypt and they came off decently well on Sid (50 BC dom), but are still inferior to the Celts at that level for a tiny map domination. Those Chariots lose too much to spears for my liking. I played the same map with the Celts and came across the finish line in 200 years earlier. Of course thats with map knowledge, but I think the gallics still come off as better for the task at hand if you're looking at trying a tiny sid dom.

I found a semi cool tactin ion conquests with the Egyptians. Build a huge amount of war chariots and exapand and beat techs out of the AI or capture the GL. In the middle ages switch to feudalism (pop rush captured temples). Its a bit more complicated than this but I've had games with 150-200 odd free unit support and 400 gpt+ in the middle ages.

As much as someone else enjoy War Chariot rampage, everyone would probably envy EMan's recent Egypt HOF games. As long as we start with bonus resources with decent start, we can concentrate on researching "The Wheel" only to crank the hordes of War Chariot if only we find horses close to our area.

Top Bottom