The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Succession game

Rheinmetall

Interplanetary Assassin
This game is now over

We do not have enough players with enough free time to continue this game so this is the end.

Welcome to the Elder Scrolls: Oblivion succession game thread. At the moment we are three brave fellows attempting a journey to the unknown and we could use a few more. The rules and modifications are stated below and will not change anymore without a good reason. Let's see how this turns out :)

The character we are playing is Thunderfall the Administrator.

Race : Breton
Birthsign: Thief
Major skills
Marksman
Blade
Light Armor
Illusion
Sneak
Destruction
Acrobatics

Specialization: Stealth
Favored Attributes: Speed & Agility

Thunderfall is currently a member of the Mages Guild and the Dark Brotherhood. He has been kicked out from the Mages Guild for his crimes. He is a criminal of sorts, picking locks, stealing stuff and horses. The long arm of law has been after him quite a few times but with money he has avoided prison sentences so far.

RULES

-max. 2 hours real time for every player.
-Reloading only when you die. :smoke:
-Keep others informed about what you did (joining a guild, completing a quest, leveling up.)
-No power leveling.
-No killing sprees
-No fast traveling
-If you need to use console commands consult others.

MODS

Gameplay affecting = Must have!
-No psychic guards V1.2 (not the hard version)
-Natural Environments V2.12 (weather.esp habitat.esp water.esp vegetation.esp)
-No more annoying messages LITE

Interface, Graphics (No .esp needed) = Optional
-BTmod
-Immersive Interface
-DarkUI
-Lowpoly grass
-Anything else following these lines

ROSTER

kcwong - Thanks :)
PrinceScamp - Thanks :)
marioh - Thanks :)

The only way I see that working is if everyone is playing vanilla Oblivion for this. And vanilla Oblivion leaves alot to be desired, IMO.

The HUD is big, clunky, and takes up a massive amount of screenspace.
The inventory lists look like they were designed with a 640x480 resolution in mind.
And the outside textures are just plain ugly.

So it would come down to either playing vanilla oblivion, or running the game with mods that everyone can agree to.

marioh said:
The only way I see that working is if everyone is playing vanilla Oblivion for this. And vanilla Oblivion leaves alot to be desired, IMO.

The HUD is big, clunky, and takes up a massive amount of screenspace.
The inventory lists look like they were designed with a 640x480 resolution in mind.
And the outside textures are just plain ugly.

So it would come down to either playing vanilla oblivion, or running the game with mods that everyone can agree to.

Yes. that did cross my mind but I forgot to put it in my first post. If this thing is ever going to happen we will need to vote for what mods we want/need. IMO BTmod is a must.

Rheinmetall said:
Yes. that did cross my mind but I forgot to put it in my first post. If this thing is ever going to happen we will need to vote for what mods we want/need. IMO BTmod is a must.

In conjunction with DarkUI, BTmod/DarkUI was the 2nd best mod I've come across.
Immersive Interface being the best, IMO, of course. :)

I don't know how successful this endeavor will be though. Most people would probably have to reinstall the game or uninstall/install the proper mods for this succession game. I don't know how willing people would be to do this though. Uninstalling mods means that their current games may not work or look like they expect them to do. For me, it probably wouldn't be a big deal since I'm just about done with my current character. Others may see it as being more hassle than it's worth.

It would be an interesting thing to be involved with, especially early on in the game when the character is weak, doesn't own a house, and has little in the way of money. You can probably count me in on this, if we get enough people.

I don't think modified textures will be a problem because they don't affect actual gameplay.

Most mods you can enable/disable at will from the splash screen setup. Disabling mods temporarily to play the shared game doesn't matter if you don't load any of savegames using those mods while they are disabled.

It's an interesting concept, and one I may be interested in once I see the final rules :)

I normally play vanilla Oblivion, so mod-application should be little problem for me.

Rules are open at the moment so feel free to suggest anything. The sooner we get the rules set the sooner we get to start.

Give the thread at least a couple of days to gather interest. I'd also say we should keep to a minimum of mods, simply for the sake of ease.

Should be fun, though I'll warn now I normally just wander a lot in Oblivion haphazardly doing my civic duties when I feel like it. I look forward to writing it up :D

Kan' Sharuminar said:
Should be fun, though I'll warn now I normally just wander a lot in Oblivion haphazardly doing my civic duties when I feel like it.

As do I.

I think the 1 hour/player is good since it almost forces you to leave the character in the middle of something and it's up to the next player to try and finish it.

The rules are still open as is the type of character to play. Race, birthsign and class. Custom or pregenerated?

As for mods that only change the interface are all open as long they don't interfere with the inner working of the game. I have lowpoly grass installed but since it only changes terrain feature to a simpler one it's not necessary for everyone to have it. We will definately try to avoid mods that add/remove game elements like weapons/quests/NPCs/dungeons/houses. These type of mods can usually be managed through "Data Files".

Sounds interesting. I might join.

PrinceScamp said:
What about the Natural Enviroment mod?

It's soo perty.

I checked the mod and it seems it doesn't have any effect on the character or the gameplay, so it probably doesn't matter whether everyone uses it or not. Actually the same goes for BTmod, DarkUI and Immersive Interface.

Added BlizzardGR to the list.

A few suggestions:

-Maybe you could increase play time for each player from 1 to 1/5 or 2 hours so that players don't rush through and forget things or do something wrong in their hurry.

-Time should only count when people actually play the game and it should stop when someone is pausing the game to take a break.

-If everyone agrees we could use specific mods to enhance the gaming experience, such as Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul and No physic guards etc.

-Rheinmetall (since you organised this in the first place), you should keep a detailed log of the in-game hours and days and backup saves so that we can prevent game-breaking events like someone playing longer than he should or doing other things that could ruin the game.

What do you think?

Also, I guess we can all agree, NO GOD MODE. NO CHEATS.

First, I think we should agree on rules, then mods (and keep the mods to only a few).

Rules I think will work:

• No console commands **
  • 1.5-2 hours of play
  • No Fast Traveling
  • No killing sprees

** Some console commands might be useful if a NPC for a quest is killed by a guard in a freak accident? Discuss.

PrinceScamp said:
Also, I guess we can all agree, NO GOD MODE. NO CHEATS.

First, I think we should agree on rules, then mods (and keep the mods to only a few).

Rules I think will work:

• No console commands **
  • 1.5-2 hours of play
  • No Fast Traveling
  • No killing sprees

** Some console commands might be useful if a NPC for a quest is killed by a guard in a freak accident? Discuss.

Agreed, but is there a way to prevent people from using cheats without having to keep track of too many game variables?

I agree that 1 hour is pretty short time in oblivion. Much time is spent talking to NPCs and shopping. Around 1,5 hours sounds good :) but forgetting things is bad, especially so when you forget to tell the next player what you were up to.

When playing alone you can pretty much do anything you please but here you'll not want to ruin the game for others.

As far as console commands go:
in Defense of Bruma and attack on Imperial city missions I had to kill enemies via console because my computer couldn't handle mass fights. I hope to avoid those.

Top Bottom