1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Emperor Series #04 is now Let's Play Immortal #01: Ragnar

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Gwaja, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Gwaja

Gwaja King

Welcome back everyone, for those of you who've been following the Emperor Series games. We've had some good participation on the first 3 games with Sitting Bull, Washington, and Asoka. I've meant to post some pictures and comments on them, but stupidly, I lost all my Civ 4 photo files on my PhotoBucket account when I tried to organize them into different folders... Yes, I deleted the wrong folder and I didn't bother saving the screen shots on my hard drive... I feel so dumb!

Anyways, I realized that many people thought that the games were a bit too easy and felt the desire to move up a level. I also was feeling the same way in that I wasn't getting much out of Emperor anymore, after about 7 or 8 consecutive wins on Emperor since the Cathy game I have posted. So, we are moving on up to Immortal, with the same sequence list of leaders to be played, with the last 3 played on Emperor being bumped to the bottom of the sequence list.

Okay, so enough with that now. Let's get started!

Our honorary leader this time around is:

Spoiler :

Game Settings:

Spoiler :

And our starting position:

Spoiler :

Notice that we are playing on Archipelago map with Archipelago land types with low sea levels. I've personally never tried this setting, but it should be interesting.

This map, as any other maps, has been verified that we are not isolated or semi isolated.

No more delaying Liberalism until the 1300's AD on Immortal anymore! I am ready to get my butt kicked and be humbled. How about you? If you are a Deity level player, you could also drop by and have a relaxing game of Immortal... certainly not as boring for you guys unlike Emperor games right? ^_^

As for the map:

Ragnar starts with Hunting and Fishing, and right off the bat, we got 2 clams to work with. We also have a corn as well, but it won't be irrigated until Civil Service. There are also plenty of forests and some good number of hills around.

The scout probably needs to explore 1E and then 1NE most likely to reveal what looks like another coastline to the north. After that, we just might settle in place, or move as the map dictates.

And now that the upload feature is working again, the initial save is attached!

Have fun and wish me and everyone else a lot of luck! ^_^

Attached Files:

2. NihilZero

NihilZero WHEOOHRNY

In before TMIT complains about low sea level. :mischief:

I hate archipelago maps, and I hate Ragnar, but I'm between games so I might give it a go.

3. Gwaja

Gwaja King

I did not want to do Snaky Continents settings because that tends to make maps that look very similar to normal Continents settings. And putting sea level at Medium on Archipelago/Archipelago makes the landmass so small that there is no wiggle room and you get a very high chance of starting isolated or semi isolated. So I went to low sea level.

I'd shoot myself in the foot if I don't build any berserkers in this game.

4. NihilZero

NihilZero WHEOOHRNY

You have summed up quite admirably why I hate archipelago maps.

5. Gwaja

Gwaja King

Well, this is Ragnar... I thought if I was going to play an archipelago map for once in my lifetime, it's gotta be played with Ragnar. ^_^

I don't think I will try Archipelago after this one though... like you, I prefer lots of land... not lots of water and little land. ^_^

6. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

Usually low sea level = runaway AI, but archipelago neuters AI pretty hard as long as you're willing to put up with extra ticky tack micro.

7. Gwaja

Gwaja King

Sometimes microing is fun, but all the time. I like the way you play your game at a brisk speed, TMIT. ^_^

Question: Does anyone think that building up some berserkers to convert them to City Raider/Amphibious rifles worth the effort and the gold cost?

8. i_imperator

i_imperator Imperator

I think its time for me to try immortal!And this will be my first imm game, sigining in. Advice on the transition from emperor to Immortal would be helpful.

9. Benginal

Benginal Emperor

Yes indeed. We're financial too so we have a little extra :commerce: to play with

10. Gwaja

Gwaja King

Welcome stevoh! And thanks for reviving the Lonely Hearts Club! ^_^

@Bengie,

Oooh,... cottage spamming! I've been trying not to do that, but this gives me a great excuse! ^_^

11. dualmaster

dualmaster Emperor

Build the Great Lighthouse.

On archipelago maps this wonder makes games play more like emperor.

12. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Deity

Archipelago maps tend to lack the rivers, :) and :health: resources, and the number of cottageable tiles needed to make the best use of cottages, plus your likely to want to use the tiles you do have to boost your production.
    Low sea level will reduce these problems somewhat, but i'm not sure by how much.

However, you will probably end up working quite a large number of coast tiles which financial does prevent being complete junk.

13. i_imperator

i_imperator Imperator

IICR, from tmit's Ragnar lp, the TGL can go at 1000Bc on immortal right? I'll still try it anyway though.

14. Capellan

Capellan Is this thing on?

It's 1100 AD and I'm not dead yet. I consider that a small victory all by itself :D

Spoiler :

On the other hand, my expansion eastward was blocked by jungle. By the time I had IW to make it worth settling more than 1 city in that direction, Justinian's borders were visible to me. A later chariot to explore his land shows that he has huge amounts of space all to himself - he has 19 cities, and he hasn't had to leave the landmass to get them.

I have 10 cities, which is comparable to most of the other AIs, but my tech is 2nd last of the 6 civs I know, and my lower is by far the lowest. I have gunpowder, and I am getting engineering then heading for rifling or mil sci for protection. Hopefully it will be enough ... I'll be pretty happy to simply reach the end of the game, given this is my first run on Immortal, and I only have 3 wins on Emperor.

15. vanillasine

vanillasine Warlord

I may participate in this, although I don't like archipeligo either. Also -- for next time, can you not do "choose religions"? it kind of messes with me, not knowing exactly where people are on the tech tree... not that I go for alto of religions, but still, it was kind of annoying for me anyway.

16. Gwaja

Gwaja King

The Great Lighthouse is probably a very high priority for this type of map. I am pondering about the Colossus also... possessing it as a Financial leader means all your coastal tiles will be giving you 4:commerce: each, which will be extremely powerful. Of course, this requires Metal Casting, which could be a problem. Normally you wouldn't self research Metal Casting early in the game, unless you get it as a freebie from the Oracle, and building that thing before the AI does, not to mention committing more :hammers: into another wonder will pose some problems of its own as well.

@vanillasine,

I didn't think "Choose Religion" settings made things that much of an inconvenience and challenge. It is usually pretty obvious though.

First 2 religions: Definitely Polytheism and Meditation
    3rd one: Definitely Monotheism
    4th one: Most of the time Code of Laws, rarely Theology
    5th one: Most of the time Theology
    6th one: Almost all the time Philosophy
    7th one: Definitely Divine Right

I could understand your concern though. I will take it out for the next game.

17. CaF

CaF Warlord

Interesting stuff. I don't think that it's the right map for first tries on immortal. It's easy to expect several AIs in the range of 20 cities around Astronomy when sea levels are low.

18. Mylene

Mylene Deity

Spoiler :
    Playing a bit, built TGL on turn 55 cuz i saw no great spot for a 2nd city near ;)
    I skipped agriculture for now, went mining/BW/sailing/masonry instead.

Figured i might want to start with growing to size 2 with a work boat ordered, using the 3f from corn..at size 2 switched to 2x hillsforest. No idea if that is the best way to do it, but i got BW the same turn the worker came out, wasn't bad :)

Having no 2nd city is a bit unusual, but i can swing the whip at size 6 now, should be okay.

Spoiler :

19. Gwaja

Gwaja King

Wooo... is Mylene playing one of our games? That spoiler looks surely like it! ^_^

I say ease up on the EQ raids and come play some more Civ with us! ^_^

20. Mylene

Mylene Deity

;) Iam trying, not much experience with this kind of map lol but it's fun :)