1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The End Game

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by tariqari, Nov 21, 2009.

1. tariqari

tariqari Warlord

The one thing that has always kind of bothered me about RFC is that there is practically no end game. Even if you play beyond the last year, the modern Civs don't do nearly as much strategic engagement as they do in during the medieval/renaissance period.

There are more (bloody) world wars during the renaissance then later on during the Industrial era. I hardly ever see anyone declare war and make effective use of a modern navy. Another thing you hardly see is a Roman (or Italian) empire using it's navy to maybe get it's hands in Northern Africa or the Middle East. (in other words little diversity amongst playthroughs)

The modern era lacks any effective use of nuclear weapons and no civs fear a nuclear powered civ, almost like some civs don't acknowledge nuclear weapons even exist. Their air force never attacks during war and is only used to shoot down enemy assailants.

I guess this isn't entirely RFC's fault since the end game of regular Civ IV is nearly the same. I think a few things could be fixed though.

Does anyone else feel the same?

2. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

I saw and been the recipient of quite many intense wars during the latter eras.

Here's one (yeah, it's Vanilla):

Spoiler :

Attached Files:

3. JiimBV

JiimBV Afro Samurai

I see what you mean, and I have had most of my major wars in the Renaissance, in the modern era the AI seems to get more peaceful. Perhaps this is just my experience, as I'm not a very warlike player, and I don't play till the end of the game very often. Still, I agree with you. I'd like to see a more warlike AI.

4. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Deity

If anything, in the Modern Era, with the plagues being off the board the AI becomes more competitive in warfare a bit.

5. apenpaap

apenpaap Tsar of all the Internets

I don't agree about the Industrial era, which is usually the era where great world wars happen in my games, but I agree that the Modern era is kind of boring.

6. Ready_set_go

Ready_set_go Too Late

That's why you start the World Wars... :p

7. evran

evran Chieftain

I had a modern war with lots of use with ICBMs and Tactical nukes. I edited the properties of both though to make them cheaper, stronger, and my tatical nukes have a longer range.

The Incas seemed to fear my nukes, i didnt want to be at war with them anymore, but they wouldn't make peace, I launched a nuke on their mountains... and they wanted peace after that lol.

8. Deego3

Deego3 Prince

Yeah, in the modern era the AI never attack you. They might declare war on another civ, but they wont attack them.

9. corovanrobber

corovanrobber King

Modern era is full of wars
    I routinely have civs like Maya or Inca creating giga-empires, all involving heavy nuking resulting that usually Europe or any other crowded region is dominated by a single civ that instantly nukes anybody trying to respawn. Middle East is always super-overcrowded with everybody at war with each other. The only reason why it gets boring is tht nukes turn all terrain to desert, and it becomes difficult to play.
    And I didn't edit any of game files, except displaying full names.

10. blizzrd

blizzrd Micromanager

This is nonsense. There are far more wars in the modern era than any other.

11. tariqari

tariqari Warlord

Actually it exactly explains my experiences. I see people declaring war all the time but that doesn't mean any combat actually takes place.

12. tariqari

tariqari Warlord

Hmm I never had this happen. Does this mostly happen in Vanilla? I'm playing BTS.

And I always find the Middle East either dominated by Turkey or Arabia. The Persians, Egyptians, and Babylonians never seem to stand a chance.

13. Ready_set_go

Ready_set_go Too Late

Do you play 3000 BC? Persia usually keeps Arabia small, and if it survives Turkey spawning, Middle East is all theirs.

And the modern era has more wars, but they could be less agressive because you are, neutral or pleased with most people, as religion is out of the question usually.
    And again, if you think it doesn't have enough wars, start some. See how they attack you.

14. ICNP

ICNP The Third Superpower

Once defensive pacts break out the game becomes nothing but World Wars. In which case you have to go start them, its kinda sad that the game always coalesces into certain civs (England) always become mega powers and getting 2-3 vassals and Defensive Pacts with other super guys.

15. Zagoroth

Zagoroth Prince

The game is not meant to allow every civ the opportunity to become a super power... It is to be historically accurate. Think about the historical World War's that occurred. It was fought between a few super powers, and their "vassals"/ colonies.

16. Ready_set_go

Ready_set_go Too Late

Yea, but how awesome would it be if there was a Khmer superpower? :p

17. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Deity

18. Zagoroth

Zagoroth Prince

Nice AP :lol:

19. FakeShady

FakeShady Prince

i dont see any of what you've mentioned about before, even though i have played many end games before. weird huh. There is only 2 complains i have about end game, and that is:

1. Nuclear capable civs SPAM nukes like no tomorrow, and suffer no penalties for it strangely. the neighbour civs get furious of cos, but that's not much of a penalty at this stage is it?? their own people are still happy supporting a tyrant ruler who won't hesitate to destroy the whole of europe with 20 nukes?? What sense is that?? if my country is annihilating one whole continent, no matter how good my leader is to me i cant help but not support my crazy leader.

2. Resolutions, both the AP and the UN, are too powerless

20. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

1. You are wastly underestimating the effect of propaganda and mass media.
    To give you an example, during the later stages of WW2 the western allies literaly tried to bomb Germany back into the stone age, and did a fairly good job at it as well, yet all the time they had popular support on their side.

The same can be said for nuclear weapons. In the end it is just another bomb and if you present it to the public the right way (better them than us/they would have done it if we had not/they were working on geting nukes to hit us/ they wanted to kill us/ect.) they will accept it without too much of a fus.

2. And in the real world they are not?