1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The eternal music debate

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Michael York, Feb 11, 2004.

?

Which is the better guitar:

1. Fender

11 vote(s)
    64.7%
  2. Gibson

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  1. Michael York

Michael York On Sabatical from Civ

For 50yrs guitarists and musician fans have argued which is better, Fender or Gibson. Specifically Fender's Stratocaster vs. Gibson's Les Paul. There are others, but these are generally considered to be the two finest guitar lines of all. Which do you prefer?

I have a couple strats, and I've never cared for the Les Pauls I've tried in the stores.

2. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone Which Way Did He Go?

Gibson definatly. Playing my friends gibson Les Paul Classic felt amazing. I wish I could aford one, but I have to do with an epiphone, the cheaper alternitive.

3. WildFire

WildFire amour

I thought the music debate would be about ripping off music not about two competing guitar companies..

Anyway........ its Fender.

4. Raijer

Raijer The 736th Beatle Supporter

If FORCED to choose, I'd have to go Gibson. The SG and the Les Paul are two of my all time favorite guitars - super phat warm heavy tone.. yummmmy. That said, I really love the Fender Strat as well. It has a certain versitility that the Gibson tends to lack.

Really, what this argument comes down to is basically a choice between pick-ups, i.e, the single coil vs. the humbucker. I for one am quite happy for the fact that I don't HAVE to choose, and can select the guitar that best suits the song. :D

5. Michael York

Michael York On Sabatical from Civ

You can get the strats, sgs, and lps with either scs or hbs. My new strat is an HSS (humbucker, single, single). Tele's can be modded to be harder than any Gibson stock guitar. Its more of a choice in bridge, body, pups fixed on the body vs. in a plastic pick guard, etc..

I do like your "FORCED to choose" Raijer.

Ripping off music is of far less consequence than Fender or Gibson ;)

6. Mrogreturns

Mrogreturns The Ghost Who Posts

Well, ignoring the view that there are better guitars out there than either- and if its a forced choice- I'd say the Stratocaster. Simply because I find the Les Paul a pig to play, while the Strat suits me much better.

7. sysyphus

sysyphus So they tell me

Gibson. Fenders are wimpy.

For bass, I prefer Rickenbaker.

8. SeleucusNicator

SeleucusNicator Diadoch

Never heard of either.

9. hawai_74

hawai_74 mac über alles

Fender is simply the best guitar, the telecaster is great. If you own the first series of them you are so lucky.

10. bobgote

bobgote Trousers

My friend has a Givson.

He bought it in india.

doesn't sound half bad either.

11. sourboy

sourboy Awakening...

I have both & there is no doubt in my mind that Gibson Les Paul's are the best. Strats are okay, but next to the Les Paul I would take the Jackson 'Flying V' - but only for playing fun, not so much overall sound. Of course, then we are talking more of pick-ups...

12. Eklektikos

Eklektikos Eponymous

Both styles of guitar are useful for different things, so the question of which is better doesn't really arise as far as I'm concerned.

13. Brewster

Brewster stays crunchy in milk

It all depends on what you want to do with it. If you are into crisp clean bell-like tones, then the Fender is for you. If you want to scare your neigbours and shake the foundations of your appartment block, then the Gibson is what you are looking for.

Jimi, Eric, and Stevie can't all be wrong. My vote goes to the Fender.

14. Karl Lenin

Karl Lenin Prince

You cannot smash a Gibson in pieces on stage, therefore is a Fender a better choice.

*throws guitar*

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!

15. Eklektikos

Eklektikos Eponymous

Yes you can, it just takes more effort ;)

16. Mano3

Mano3 King

Tough vote! I went for the Gibson, as it has a warmer sound and Jimmy Page uses one. :)

I played in a band where we had three guitarists. One played a Gibson Les Paul, one played a Fender Stratocaster, and the other played a high-end Ibenez. I must say that each guitar had its strongpoints when used for certain music styles, so, I can't really say that one is better than the other.

For instance... when we played any CCR, the Gibson stood out. When we went Van Halen, the Ibenez stood out. The Fender dominated the Clapton/Cream stuff....

17. sysyphus

sysyphus So they tell me

Kind of ironic since Clapton played mostly Gibsons when he was with Cream.

18. gael

gael Ard Ri

theres a new depate thats is ripe among the Djs, who are 'rock stars' in there own right i supose when it comes to fame.

'Technics' is the 'Fender' of turntablism. The choice of the purist.