The European Landmass

NiRv4n4

King
This is a map of Europe, as well as northern Africa and southwestern Asia. It can be downloaded here - http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=15437

The size of the map is 107 by 90 tiles. It includes, clockwise around the Mediterranean:

Spain (in the Spain version, if officially downloaded use this)
France
England
Germany
Rome
Greece
Russia
Mongolians - found in western Kazakhstan region
Ottomans - located in central Turkey, so as to give the Greeks some breathing room
Persia
Arabians - located in the Levant, at about Jerusalem, as Mecca is too far to the south
Egypt - located near the Nile delta, any further south and they are too far removed from the action

The basic shape of the map, with city-states, but not civilizations, marked:

Images from various regions - UPDATED AS OF JULY 2011:

Spoiler :

Iberia

France

Italy

Germany

British Isles

North Atlantic

Scandinavia

Russia

Ukraine

Carpathian Basin

Greece

Levant

Mesopotamia

Egypt

North Africa

Previous change logs
Spoiler :
UPDATED TO 2.0

I have now updated this map, removing Florence, completely redoing the resources, toggling barbarians back on, and doing stuff like Kruelgor suggested. Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

UPDATED TO 2.5

Updated the map again, fixing resources more, tidying up the map, and other stuff. Did not add Egypt in, as I want to know how to give the more space (expand map southwards or something) before I do so.

UPDATED TO 2.6

As far as I know, I have made changes to only the prevalence of strategic resources, as per instructions. As much as I would like to have a Spain/Carthage/Austria/Mongol civ universally available, as well as more city states, this is just "vanilla" stuff. I may download some packs and direct users of the map to these packs. Any suggestions on some are welcome.

UPDATED TO 2.7

I have added a new file to the download, with Spain there. I don't know if it will work, as it is from a seperate download on the site for a Spanish and Carthaginian civ.

UPDATED TO 3.0

Mongolia has been added into both versions of the map. The Spanish version, which has the Spanish civ in it, is included as well, for those of you who have downloaded that official down-loadable content by Firaxis.

UPDATED TO 3.5

The Egyptian civilization has been added to the game, as well as a general southward expansion of the map. The resources have all been redone to be more appropriate for Civ 5 and not Civ 4, and a few city states removed. Image of map is updated.

To install, download the file and extract it to My Documents, My Games, Civilization V, Maps. Then, start the game up, go to mods, set up game, and then, under maps, find "European Landmass". No browsing or downloading of mods required.

This map was made by transfer my Civilization IV map - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=349279 - to Civilization V. I adjusted it in order to get rid of the mess ups that happened along the way.

If you want to use this map in any mods, then feel free to do it, with credit given appropriately.

Awesome map, I'm so excited to get back to playing on beloved Europe maps.. how is the transfer of civ4 maps done?

I love maps of Europe to play, but I'd love a smaller version of the map - cutting out a bit of north Africa and a lot of Russia and Mesopotamia. The huge maps take way too long when you have to press end turn... I really wish I could play huge maps without HUGE DELAYS!!! If anyone has tips on improving performance, let me know.

Awesome map, I'm so excited to get back to playing on beloved Europe maps.. how is the transfer of civ4 maps done? is it as simple as plopping the old file into the civ5 folder?
Yes, it is actually very easy. You download the SDK, enter worldbuilder, and when looking to open a map, you just navigate to where your Civ IV maps are, and open them. I was surprised by how accurate it made it, very few places weren't satisfactory looking.

I love maps of Europe to play, but I'd love a smaller version of the map - cutting out a bit of north Africa and a lot of Russia and Mesopotamia. The huge maps take way too long when you have to press end turn... I really wish I could play huge maps without HUGE DELAYS!!! If anyone has tips on improving performance, let me know.
I don't know what to say. My graphics card is like 5 years old, and with all my settings on minimum, the game crashes a good amount, and turns take a loooooong time. Pretty upsetting. You could try downloading one of the Civ 4 maps in their respective forum, and transfer it yourself.

Hmm, that isn't working for me, I go to the folder where my maps are but they aren't showing up. Oh well, great map though :0

Hmm, that isn't working for me, I go to the folder where my maps are but they aren't showing up. Oh well, great map though :0
Yeah, there is a toggle thing at the bottom where it says "Civilization 5 maps" or something, click the arrow and go to "Civilization 4 maps". Forgot to mention that step, sorry.

It worked, thanks a ton. Map editing is one of my favorite things to do with civ and I think this version of the worldbuilder is perfect so far after taking a quick look at it.

Iberia is really empty..I'd of thought a Spain mod would have been released by now.

Northern Italy is a bit crowded. This wouldn't be a problem if we could raze City-States.

Awesome! So glad to see classic maps already coming to CiV!

The map already looks nicely done!
I can't become friend of randomly placed known nations, so your map is going to be my favourite sooner or later.

Two issues still need attention before you can also play the scenario nicely:
1) No Barbarians
2) Horses and Iron (and possibly other) resource fields only provide one unit each

Ancient ruins are also missing but I prefer playing without them anyway to remove that stressful rush feature. It doesn't fit into a realistic scenario anyhow.

Another map idea: Southern Asia from Egypt to Japan should also provide eight nations and about the same amount of city states

I started the map as a scenario, but my starting positions are everytime on a different place. So as rome I dont start in italy :(

Iberia is really empty..I'd of thought a Spain mod would have been released by now.

Northern Italy is a bit crowded. This wouldn't be a problem if we could raze City-States.
Yeah, I am thinking of removing Florence, keeping Genoa and Venice. Also, I am waiting for some Spanish city states, or hopefully, a full on civilization.

The map already looks nicely done!
I can't become friend of randomly placed known nations, so your map is going to be my favourite sooner or later.

Two issues still need attention before you can also play the scenario nicely:
1) No Barbarians
2) Horses and Iron (and possibly other) resource fields only provide one unit each

Ancient ruins are also missing but I prefer playing without them anyway to remove that stressful rush feature. It doesn't fit into a realistic scenario anyhow.

Another map idea: Southern Asia from Egypt to Japan should also provide eight nations and about the same amount of city states
Yes, I definitely need to toggle that option, given that Barbarians are much bigger part of the game. I just ported this from my Civ4 map for the most part, so I will probably redo all of the resources. I'll probably have an update later tonight.

Yeah, no barbarians make the game too boring, especially if you start as isolated as Russian. It also ruins the German nation feature.
Kicking out Florence sounds good, so the Roman can easier march northwards.
I also suggest removing Genoa and one or two mountains there, so Rome can expand westwards along the coast to Hispania and possibly north to Gallia/France like in history. One city state for a small country like Italy is enough.

The map, as it is, already looks very nice, so don’t make yourself too much work revamping everything. Added barbarians and adjusted strategic resources amounts, and at least I am happy.

I have updated the map, with more info. To answer your question Kruelgor, go ahead and use it in your mod. There is the Pripet Marhses and Ardennes. It is quite historically accurate, so minor tinkering should be all that is required. It is 107 by 90.

UPDATED TO 2.0

I have now updated this map, removing Genoa and Florence, completely redoing the resources, toggling barbarians back on, and doing stuff like Kruelgor suggested. Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

With resources, and most applicable city states spread about. This is a work in progress, so expect a few improvements as time goes on.

To install, download the file and extract it to My Documents, My Games, Civilization V, Maps. Then, start the game up, go to mods, set up game, and then, under maps, find "European Landmass".

This map was made by transfer my Civilization IV map - http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=349279 - to Civilization V. I adjusted it in order to get rid of the mess ups that happened along the way.

If you want to use this map in any mods, then feel free to do it, with credit given appropriately.

Loved this map for CIV IV and loving it in CIV V!I'm about to update to 2.0 now. But why did you remove the city-states in northern Italy? I mainly play as Rome and it seemed as it would be an interesting situation. Also would it be possible to add the city-state of Ragusa in Sicily. Thanks again for all your work, this is the map that will finally draw me into CIV V!

Loved this map for CIV IV and loving it in CIV V!I'm about to update to 2.0 now. But why did you remove the city-states in northern Italy? I mainly play as Rome and it seemed as it would be an interesting situation. Also would it be possible to add the city-state of Ragusa in Sicily. Thanks again for all your work, this is the map that will finally draw me into CIV V!
Happy that you like the map. I might add Genoa back in, but with all three there, it seemed a little much. I added Ragusa into the map when I took out the two in Northern Italy. So I am about to update one more time for tonight, I will add back Genoa. Florence would only work if the map was bigger, I think.

Also where can I download the updated version, your link is to yesterday's version.

Happy that you like the map. I might add Genoa back in, but with all three there, it seemed a little much. I added Ragusa into the map when I took out the two in Northern Italy. So I am about to update one more time for tonight, I will add back Genoa. Florence would only work if the map was bigger, I think.

sounds good! I'll be anticipating your next release before I start a game, I will try and give you as much feedback as possible. I'm a history teacher to be and am quite interested in geography, I will definitely keep you posted with insight. Thanks again.

Also where can I download the updated version, your link is to yesterday's version.
You can download it from the same place. I replaced the previous file with the 2.0 version.I figure each one should be an improvement, so earlier versions aren't too necessary.

Top Bottom