The Event that broke the camel's back...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by dennisg, Apr 8, 2010.

1. dennisg

dennisg Warlord

When BTS first came out I started playing with "random events" enabled...but I finally got sick of it after I was in a war and the forge in my major production city burnt down! WTH? A forge...burning down?

For me, that was the event that pissed me off so much I turned off random events and never turned them on again.

[edit]If you're like me,[/edit] I was just wondering what event/situation pushed you over the edge...

2. Junuxx

Junuxx Emperor

The -25% inflation event is pretty ridiculous too IMO, although it's positive. I should be playing without events, but I keep forgetting to switch it off at game start.

3. catfish99

catfish99 Warlord

I don't have a problem with the random events. Think of the "forge burning down" event as a production issue. You don't lose the ability to create the unit you are building, you just don't do it as quickly as you thought you could. Real world examples abound - German Tiger production in Numberg was delayed by the bombing of the Maybach engine plant in Berlin.

4. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

I always pay to have it rebuild. But if you don't have the cash...

5. eris

eris King

You seem to assume that everyone has been led to the same level of frustration with events as you. That is an incorrect assumption. The early barbarian invasions are broken, but everything else seems to balance out and add just a little bit of flavor and an occasional strategic decision. Subjective preference, I guess.

6. dennisg

dennisg Warlord

No, I wasn't assuming that. I just forgot to add a bit to the post. Post edited.

7. markiz2001

markiz2001 Chieftain

iron sheik broke the camel's back.......
    then made him humble.

8. huh?

huh? Warlord

At the lower levels, I used to play with the events turn on. I would typically have the cash and/or units to handle the situation.

Since I have moved up in levels, I have turned them off after a few games that an event or two ruined that game for me. Once I get better at my current level, I will turn the events back on to add a little flavor back.

9. Zink

Zink Chieftain

Getting ~40 gold from the only hut i find and then in return have 3-4 forests burn shortly after.
    That's the first time i thought about turning both huts and events off.

Some game later i got hit by 3 slave revolts at the beginning of the game. This early in the game losing several pops is a killer, so this was the last game i played with huts/events.

10. Dr.Null

Dr.Null forIhavetastedthesushi

Events haven't been that bad to me (yet), so I keep them on. Same with huts.

I'd rather there were only "positive" events, though. Then "negative" events would be those same things happening for your opponents -- who the heck wants to face Tower Shield Praets?

11. Protozoan

Protozoan Warlord

Volcanos destroying your towns. Repeatedly. EFFING A that's so lame.

And the Bermuda Triangle. So lame!

12. Kesshi

Kesshi Emperor

The volcanoes wouldn't be so terrible if

A) We could know there was a volcano there without the area existing inside your cultural boarders

B) A single city wasn't so important

For A, it makes no sense. We've discovered a mountain, and have been nearby for thousands and thousands of years, only the moment we settle a city next to it, only then do we notice it exploding? Okay, for those of you who are about to say "What if the volcano was dormant all these years" I point you to B. A single city is far far too important in Civ to have that city be constantly harassed by a single terrible event. If the volcano were only destroying improvements of the city (a farm, or even a town) I can handle that. Instead of a town, I rebuild a workshop or farm or waterwheel or whatever. But hurting the city is too much in Civ.

Random events like these are the reason I started playing with them off. I shouldn't be rewarded because I'm lucky, nor should I be punished because I'm unlucky. There is already too much luck involved in Civ without random events adding to the luck factor.

13. Dumanios

Dumanios MLG

Barbarian uprisings have lost me a game or two.

14. Galadrion

Galadrion Warlord

Volcanoes/hurricanes/tornadoes et cetera are an annoyance, but not (usually) a major one for me - if you've got adequate worker support, the destruction doesn't slow you down much. Likewise, the various city-damaging events are usually not very effective at slowing the human player down... though I've noticed the AIs aren't always as good at dealing with them.

Barbarian events are the ones that I find most frustrating, and even they don't bother me much - at all, really, if I manage to get the Great Wall (as I usually try to do). Most of the time, I get it, and at that point I welcome news of barbarian uprisings - think of them as mercenary allies: they'll go after your enemies for loot and plunder, and you don't have to worry about them turning on you!

15. Tristan_C

Tristan_C Emperor

A string of 7 slave revolts and nothing else for two games, the first two games I played in BTS; "Yes, I get the point Firaxis: either stop whipping or turn off random events."

So I turned off random events.

16. Rychord

Rychord Chieftain

I've had a more balanced experience with random events, so I don't really mind playing with them on. I'm just about to move up to Monarch, so I don't know if they are more bothersome the higher up you play, but for now I find that they add more to the experience than they take away from it so I haven't turned them off once yet.

17. Protozoan

Protozoan Warlord

Another lame thing is when you are building some wonder. In a tight race for it, and then your forge burns down. Especially if that wonder is the Statue of Liberty.

Events have usually been more cruel than kind to me. The slave revolt thing is another one that gets irritating.

18. s.bernbaum

s.bernbaum Mostly lurking

The first "game" that I played after switching to BTS wasn't really a normal game. I was just trying out all the new stuff, without trying to win and intending to not finish the game. During that time two of the AI Civs got creamed by random events. Since I play turn based games to allow development of strategies appropriate to the game, I decided that random events totally ruined the game and turned them off. I have never turned them back on and I don't intend to do so in the future.

19. dennisg

dennisg Warlord

Exactly :)

Like I mentioned, I was in a close war and my main hammer city's forge burnt down, right in the middle of the war...argggh! :mad:

20. bakshi

bakshi Prince

Barb uprisings. These things make me angry. Not because they happen to me but because whenever I follow them to get a free city or 2 they always lose.