1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The evidence is here, now you decide....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Birdjaguar, May 11, 2011.

1. El_Machinae

El_Machinae Colour vision since 2018 Retired Moderator

You already have one!

2. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

It's not signed...

3. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

We all know the World will end in about 5 billion years, when the sun turns into a red giant and evaporates all water from the surface of the Earth. I wouldn't be worried about anything happening between now and then :p

4. PeteAtoms

PeteAtoms FormulaRandom

I agree, though I'm not sure about your number (I'm too lazy to look it up myself). The Earth itself will go on for a very long time, billions of years.

A more important issue than the time left for the Earth, is the time left for humanity. For what it's worth, I am a self-centered individual and I feel the same way regarding our species (or future evolution of our species into new beings).

I could care less about the Earth lifespan, or the lifespan of other species on this ball of dirt circling the sun. We need to worry about our own species and squeezing as much time as possible out of our existence while balancing the actual worth of living (why prolong our species' longevity if everyone will be miserable and life not worth living?).

Anyways, when the "end of the world" is often talked about, I usually frame it in the context of humanity's end in this world. Because that is all that matters as far as I'm concerned. When we are all gone, no one will be left to bemoan any problems we leave behind.

I forget where I was going with this... but 'the end' is such a self-centered concept for someone to claim it being imminent. Not to beat a dead horse, but everyone thinks they and their time on Earth, is special. Clearly, they are the one's chosen to live through the most trying times in history, their generation is special and the entirety of our history has been building up to them... people have been thinking this for millennia. Nothing new to see here, moving on.

5. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Chieftain

I doubt many people believe this. And free speech applies.

Now now, there are a few who would in fact say no, you are not forgiven of this:D

I'm not one of them though, so rest easy...;)

6. timtofly

timtofly One Day

So if there used to be a lot of ice where is that water?

My 8 year old says 5 billion is when the sun changes into it's next form. He is a math wiz, so I trust him with numbers.

7. CELTICEMPIRE

CELTICEMPIRE Zulu Conqueror

why can't the Anti-Christ come from America?

8. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Chieftain

You know most Christians don't believe in the Rapture, right?

9. _random_

_random_ Jewel Runner

Those would be the metrics for a scientific theory, which YEC certainly isn't. As a logical proposition, it's capable of meeting the criticisms against it with no real internal contradiction. The fact that it leads to rather unsettling conclusions about the nature of God and that there's no real reason to believe it in the first place are problems of course.

Most Christians don't believe in the Rapture, including me.

Most Christians aren't YECs, including me.

What makes you think the world works perfectly? In all the Christian apocalyptic writings I've read, the world is rather flawed, and God is working to make it something better. Destroying the flawed elements is part of this process.

Are you saying that the world would optimally be full of greedy, hateful, irresponsibly wealthy people? The fact that the standard is very hard to meet is acknowledged throughout the Bible, but it's hard to argue that the standard is bad, at least the parts you mentioned.
    No, Birdjag doesn't believe this, he just wants to promote discussion.
    God speaks softly and carries a big stick.

And take away my chance to type up posts like this?

10. Annex

Annex Tyranny and Mutation

Cause everyone knows China, Iran, and North Korea are where all the evil people live

11. bestrfcplayer

bestrfcplayer Steppin' up!

I just saw somewhere that Paranormal Activity 3 is set to be open in theaters on October 21, 2011! :D

12. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Chieftain

Well . . .that's a start for the end of the world.:)

We only have 5 days left until May 21. To mark the significance I'm going to wash my dog (although my prophesies aren't very good either).

13. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

I am more of Hindu/Buddhist/Sufi combo platter.

I think that civil discussion about most any topic is good for us all. :)

14. sendos

sendos Immortal

A sensible christian would persuade an extremist who believes in this nonsense to shut up. Oh wait, hang on: In America there's freedom of speech (there's quite a few rapture believers there), and that right defends bigots as well! Secondly, isn't there a section in the bible called the apocolypse? If I had the power the cut stuff out of it, it would be that, then this topic wouldn't be made, because there would be no discussion of it.

You're thinking of Moses. Furthermore, you have no proof whatsoever that he's either male or female.

Well, there is a significant number of such people, but I'm not saying that really. Besides:
    Greedy people: certain CEO's, especially the one who's sentenced for 150 years (forgot his name) in NY.

Hateful people: A lot of Muslims towards the west. And vice versa. Too many examples here.

Irresponsibly wealthy: crime lords, fraudsters, hackers who have stolen credit cards.

Birdjaguar, please make sure you call the topic, the rapture, if you ever bring this up again (in case this topic dies). Do not call it evidence, because it is all speculation. The reason why I reacted strongly against this topic was because of that first quote I took in my first post on this thread. Honestly, why would you call that evidence? Not only that, there's no hard evidence for each event in that made-up timeline. So I fail to see how you can promote a discussion on clear speculation.

Other than the rapture, you are right.

15. timtofly

timtofly One Day

I am not saying there is a rapture, but where would you want to be when Messiah appears and you have not died yet?

If Messiah told you the earth would only make it to it's 7,777 birthday, would you change your mind, or would you be someplace else?

IMO the anti-christ will not know he is, until after satan brings him back to life. Christ was God in the flesh. Anti-Christ is flesh without God.

16. squadbroken

squadbroken Chieftain

Sounds like a whole load of bull to me.
    Apocalypticist crackpots have been predicting that the world will end "soon" for thousands of years, why should we pay attention to their idiocy this time around?

17. Wolfbeckett

Wolfbeckett Jerkin' and nonsense.

Because the sky is really falling this time, honest, a piece of it fell on my own head! :lol:

18. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Chieftain

BTW: Where do you draw that conclusion? Now, I'm not saying I disagree, just that I've never heard that before.

19. timtofly

timtofly One Day

I look at the state of man's knowledge as it is today. There are few people who believe in an afterlife. Even fewer who believe in satan, and hardly many who think there is a God. Most secular humanitarians who would be charismatic enough to lead the world in common peace and end starvation, is only going to be thinking about himself, not some supernatural being. Now he may be in cahoots privately with satan, but why? Does satan sit at the head of some secret world organization? The person who claims to have all the answers will be looked upon as a "messiah", but I do not think that he will know he will die and be brought back to life. It is only after being brought back to life that "hell" brakes loose. The Bible says that even the elect may be deceived. IMO he may think he is doing "God's" will, but only after coming back to life will he be "anti-christ".

20. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Chieftain

I don't see how exactly being sensible gives someone the power or inclination to persuade people to stop expressing their beliefs.
    I don't quite see the connection between dispensationalism and bigotry.
    No, there isn't.
    A good use of your power, to cut out stuff that is not there.