The Faeries

Itherael

Chieftain
So I tried the faerie's today.

Used the world spell after setting up a second city then used the creature gained from this to wipe out a ton of barbarians. Ended up with loads of those horsemen looking units who in turn had a 100% chance to create new horsemen when victorious in combat.

Wiped the map out with legions of them in 100 turns. Are these guys intended to be so powerful?

i doubt it, bear in mind that sephi added this totally new civilisation in about 1 day after it went puplic. so it is unbalanced/unpolished.
Here is the release thread: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=355938
it would be best to contribute to the balance of this civ there i guess.
Also there are allready changes announced to this civs in the upcomming Wildmana patch:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=345653

I myself did not play them, for as of yet there is simple too much unique art missing for my taste, so i can't really comment on them

sorry for using the topic :p

anyone else having the problem of not beeing able to perform the winter court ritual? no matter what map or game i play its always only the summer court im able to restore. according to the pedia both only need beeing a faerie player, yet i cant find it in the building menue. are there any other prerequisites i dont know of?

in the original faerie civ trait it says something about two civics and stuff, but those are not in in wildmana.

ah, and i wonder what model that archangel larchassfdgarhztjdk-whatever faerie will use when the red blob is gone...

/edit:
used the editor to give me all techs still no winter court restoration. so i guess its some kind of bug or unfinished faerie feature?

There is a new civic category "civilization specific civics" where you can adopt summer or winter court (and later eternal court). You need to switch to winter court to do the winter court restoration ritual.

I messed up the worldspell, next version will be more balanced.

If you experience other issues with the faeries, just post them here.

that's actually the reason why I renamed the Category from Faerie Court to Civ specific Civics.

Glad to see someone else bringing up the OMGWTF brokenness of the worldspell/hero. :D

Just a couple other things:
-Blue faerie promotion is totally useless without ranged warfare turned on. Would it be possible to get a different effect if that game option is disabled?

-White faerie promotion on workers is obnoxious. If they manage to start farming before they turn the tile to ice, then they can finish, but they can't begin farming if it's already ice. If the tile turns to ice while in the middle of constructing a cottage (which it will) then he stops building the cottage and can't start again. Now, I haven't tried switching to Winter Court and so I don't know if this remains the case, but at the moment I'm deleting any worker that has the white promotion.

-Red faerie is pretty OP for early game and kind of meh for late game. If it was a %strength promotion it would scale better.

-Terraforming everything into grassland AND growing forests on every single tile seems a bit much. Terraforming works for other civs because while making the tiles good for them, it makes the land very unappealing to everyone else. The faeries are guaranteed to have massive FoL supercities, and anyone else who conquers them would have the same food and production benefits.

-Forests obliterating floodplains is annoying. I found I could prevent it, though, by standing one of my useless White workers on the tile til I could work it. ;)

Glad to see someone else bringing up the OMGWTF brokenness of the worldspell/hero. :D

Just a couple other things:
-Blue faerie promotion is totally useless without ranged warfare turned on. Would it be possible to get a different effect if that game option is disabled?

-White faerie promotion on workers is obnoxious. If they manage to start farming before they turn the tile to ice, then they can finish, but they can't begin farming if it's already ice. If the tile turns to ice while in the middle of constructing a cottage (which it will) then he stops building the cottage and can't start again. Now, I haven't tried switching to Winter Court and so I don't know if this remains the case, but at the moment I'm deleting any worker that has the white promotion.

-Red faerie is pretty OP for early game and kind of meh for late game. If it was a %strength promotion it would scale better.

-Terraforming everything into grassland AND growing forests on every single tile seems a bit much. Terraforming works for other civs because while making the tiles good for them, it makes the land very unappealing to everyone else. The faeries are guaranteed to have massive FoL supercities, and anyone else who conquers them would have the same food and production benefits.

-Forests obliterating floodplains is annoying. I found I could prevent it, though, by standing one of my useless White workers on the tile til I could work it. ;)

co-signed:goodjob:

In the hands of the AI they also have a habit of spreading snow/ice all over the place. Since this appears to be a permanent change they're destroying the world one tile at a time. This can happen very early in the game when you have no way of fixing it.

With 7.44 the faeries should be more balanced. Keep up the suggestions, I think there are still things to be finetuned :goodjob:

Sephi, or Saathei

Testing the Faeries now v 7.44. I need to put in a tag for a building, and Im not clear what the building should really be called.

The Text Bug is TXT_KEY_BUILDING_RIVERSIDE_HELP

The Buidling is the "Spirit Mill" which replaces the Dereptus Brewing House for the Faeries.

I started to put a Tag entry in as The Riverside Spirit Mill, but realized that may not be the proper name intended.

Let me know so I can clean out this text bug.

thanks,

something like this
<English>[ICON_BULLET]Can only be build in a riverside City</English>

something like this
Im sorry I wasnt clear, what do you want the building itself to be called?

Spirit Mill
Riverside Mlll

or something else

i will incorporate your descriptive text in the Strategy_Tag

How about Moon Shrine? I saw that Spirit Mill is already taken by the Scion building.

please add a TXT_KEY_BUILDING_RIVERSIDE_HELP with the help description

I have modified the DLL so the text will be shown for any building that can only be build in a city with the river. No need to put it in the strategy text :) In general strategy text should only be added for effects that are in python and cannot be displayed easily (like the +2xp for dwarves from the brewing house)

Ok i see the help files are for a different purpose then the strategy ones. Very good.

Yeah I had forgot to mention the Scions having the Spirit Mill, which was why I assumed it should be named something else.

While Im here, I will mention my current test (first time as the Faeries)and on Noble, that it has really been an economic disaster, I have been running on 0-10% science rate for a good part of the game now.
I only have 5 cities, and yes I dont have festivals yet, because I went after the FoL Religion. I didnt discover it, but I got it at a very heavy price.
Now I have a city exposed defensively because all the units deserted, and those trixy balseraphs are on the doorstep. Sorry I had to kil Loki after taking my fifth city.

Where is the "Faeries" Civilization file stashed?

I assume it is named something other the Faeries, because I can not find it using this tag

CIVILZATION_FAERIE

or

CIVILZATION_FAERIES

I thought I would go ahead and change the building_help tag there from

Building_Riverside to

Building_The_Moon_Shrine

so that the tags would be cleaner.

normalmodules\ffhplus\civs\faeries

civilizationtype is CIVILIZATION_FAERIES

Sephi,

All done, sorry I had my search engine set on TEXT folder, I have it reset now.
Uploaded the changes as Revision 111, If you dont care when you have a chance check my work out. The bonus benefits did not show up in the City View, when you look at the Moon Shrine in the building list.

Are the Faeries suppose to be this tough on the economic side of things? Their UU building is the Wishing Well (oh yeah I added those tags too, forgot to mention in my revision notes) which replaces the training yard, but it has -2/-3 gold cost affect. I have only built one of these, and wouldnt have built it had i known its affect would be so severe.
I have seven cities now at turn 264, and im at a -18 gpt @ 10% science. I have a very minimal army compared to most WM games.

unless you start at a commerce resource like gold you might want to research education early and build a lot of cottage.

Top Bottom