The Fall of a Warlord...

Vandal Warlord

Nazgûl
Occ Please keep in mind this war is for roleplaying purposes.

Vandal the Rebel, that was his name, but 'twas not the name he died with. He died known as Vandal the Burning, at the hands of Fransico Pizarro. This is the story of Vandal's last year, before he left this world. And it was one sentance that began that trip.....

"I declare war on Arete." Vandal had announced to the world 6 months ago, stating that he alone would fight on the opposition, for now. This was immense, for one man had declared war on the most powerful nation on the continent.

Vandal walked through the woods with his comando team of former Spanish soldiers, and Babylonian Exiles. They were armed with an aray of weapons, the Spanish were equiped with swords to be the main infantry. The Babylonians had longbows, and Vandal.... He was equiped with his two-handed blade, and a crossbow, along with several daggars. They were reading an assult on Venice, with it being so poorly defended. Vandal was to once again have his name said in Arete's history, but now they would have to scream it.

Contribution is welcome.

King civplayah sat at a large table in comfortable chair, going over a ledger kept by the King's bookkeeper. Far from the noisy crowds and inquisitive staff below, he was able to concentrate on matters of state and the imminent battles to come.

But, of course, there was a knock on the door... "Come in, Cyc. I know it's you. No one else would dare knock on that door."

Cyc had already entered and was closing the door. "M'lord, strange days, indeed.I thought you might want to be aware of the latest news. I'm not sure of the reliability, but it is fresh and potentially troublesome news."

"Continue, continue," the King spoke up, wondering if Cyc fell for his act of non-interest. In fact, this was the highlight of his week. "Other matters are waiting..."

"Well it seems some of our troops were inspecting one of the taverns in town for the quality of their prducts and they either heard rumors or from the horse's mouth that a Vandal the Rebel had declared war on the nation of Arete. Apparently, he's a pretty well known warlord in this area, with a long history of being a fierce and deadly warrior. He's collected some foriegn rabble, although fairly well trained with sword and longbow. We're not sure of the numbers, but it appears they are headed for Venice to burn it down."

"Ah, yes. Vandal the Rebel. I wonder what that old fool is up to now. You know, it's amazing what age can do to a man's mind. Our military is in full production, we're bringing troops back from the war, we couldn't be in a better position. Is there any way we can stop this before we have to needlessly shed more blood on our lands?"

"Apparently not, m'lord. They say he's on the rampage. Something about political revenge. He's made it a personal quest," was Cyc's reply.

"Very well, see what you can do to aleviate the situation, if not, do what you have to do to protect Venice."

Vandal and his commando's approached Venice, with grim determination. Venice had been reenforced by the Arete military, upon learning of Vandal's plans. He smiled, more power to him.

He unsheathed his sword, and ordered his Archers to move up. They then aimed for the line of swordsmen before them. Vandal then yelled "Charge!!!" and all the Archers fired and his infantry charged. Vandal was covered in blue war paint and had a rack of skulls around his waist, that struck fear in the line of swordsmen before him. Vandal then raised his blade and crushed through the man infront of him and then swung upwards to kill the next man. He then fough off and killed several other men before their lines broke as Vandal and his men chased them down one by one, until eventually they surrendered the city to him, in fear of what he would do. As Vandal raised his flag above the tallest building in Venice he screamed to the city.

"May ALL those who oppose me let this be known! WE WILL FIND A WAY OR MAKE ONE!!!". From which all of his soldiers srcreamed VANDAL!!!. Vandal then raised his blade in the air and screamed his war cry.

A carriage came to a screeching halt in front of the new marble villa. Dutchfire, once mighty king of Aretania, leader of the Arkadian dynasty and Hatsheput's nightmare, but now little more than retired war veteran. Luckily, he had managed to make proper arrangements for himself when he still was mighty. He had bought some previoulsy useless plains near New Giruvegan, and had started a elephant farm there. All of this in the name of the Aretanian military of course, but he had managed to use a considerable part of the budget on what was officially known as "The caretakers house", a nice classic villa with a small pool and some nice flora.

But today wasn't going to be a nice day at the pool. As soon as the carriage stopped, a messenger approached dutchfire as he was walking to the house. "Sir, I have an urgent message for you, it's straight from Regent Cyc." Dutchfire took the letter, opened it and started mumbling. "blablabla, best wishes, blabla, trouble, blablabla, Venice, blabla, Vandal Warlord, :hmm: interesting, bla, help needed, bla bla, greetings" "Sir, do you want me to take a reply back to the Regent?" "No, that won't be necessary, I'll visit him myself. I was getting sick and tired of the elephant poop around here anyway." As the messenger left, dutchfire said to himself: "I'm just gone, and they're celebrating their victory in the elections, but when there's a problem, guess who they call? Ah, well, I'd better get some food, it might be a long journey to Arete."

Lord Civius sat listening to his shadow agents speak of the one.... The first and deadliest assassin of the APR. They (the dark agents) were but a memory to the Aretan people but a legend in the minds of her adversaries. While its purpose was to serve the Areten King, power had corrupted the organization. While Lord Civius still retained the loyalty of the former dark agents, it was Vandal who took with him its heartless and rebel wing. Spreading across national borders the dark one gathered his forces.

The Shadow agents, based in the Yassan Province (tile 35) were called to arms and are marching on Venice in the name of the King......

Vandal sat in his new capitol building, the former governors home, with a large grin on his face. He had now officially created the Free State of Venice.

One of Vandal's commanders by the name of Andro walked through the doors before him.
"Sir! Urgent news! Babylon has begun financing us, and have sent down two hundered soldiers, to solidify Venice, and begin our attack on Arete." Andro yelled with hapiness in his heart.

"Arete? The city?' Vandal asked, confused.
"Yes, they only ask that we take Arete, and surrender it ot Babylon."Andro replied.
Vandal frowned. "I will not give Arete to them, but I will trick them into continueously send us troops." Vandal grinned.

Sindar woke up. It was dark. He guessed there were several hours to dawn. Then he noticed where he was.

Sindar was laying in the mud outside a tavern, where he had fallen asleep after drinking an almost insane amount of alcoholic beverages. He had been regularly practising this since his last confrontation with Vandal and the following rush to protect Seidrik, a man he had deemed one of his dearest friends, but who had not even let him into his villa. He rose on knees and elbows, throwing up in the mud before standing up.

Dim memories of the previous night ran through him. Someone had mentioned Vandal, he was sure about it... what had happened? Sindar leaned against a wall and thought it through.

The man had mentioned Venice... A city. Vandal had taken an Aretan city by force! Sindar thought about this for a while. It would mean the certain death of the old Warlord who had threatened Sindar on his life, but for some reason, Sindar could not welcome the news with a smile. Instead he spit on the ground.

There had been more. Vandal had had babylonians supporting him. An icicile was driven into Sindars mind. Aisha. He had not dedicated many thoughts to her the last days, but he was certain that she could very well be tempted to join in on an adventure as hazardous and brave as Vandals attack. Sindar made a decision. He would go to talk to her, making sure that she would not go. If that failed, he would tag along to protect her.

He wiped his clothes of the mud stuck to them, went home and got his weapons, water skins and some food. With the white sword given to him by Vandal, he exited the house out into the city, heading straight towards Babylon.

On the outskirts of town, he was surprised by meeting his father.

"Where are you going, my son?", the old man said, clearly worried about the determination in Sindars eyes and the weapon in his hand.
"To save a life. It might claim my own."
His father stood as frozen, before a tear started to run down his face.
"I hope I will see you again my son. Go with the gods and fight the best I taught you."
"I will. Farewell, father."

Sindar walked past his father, who was now clearly crying. He looked at the sun, directed his direction and broke into a slow run. He was on the move again.

Cedric sat at his desk in Kassite. He was now, the Prince, of the Principality of Kassite ever since his father went to war with Arete. Cedric put his hands on his forehead and leaned forward. He did not know whether to support his father, or go to War against him. Cedriclifted his arms and sat up. He would stay true, to War with Vandal the Rebel!

Dragano cracked his back and looked around, he wassitting up against a tree with a longbow in hand. He was a Sentry for his father. He looked around, and saw nothing but falling leaves. Dragano craked his neck and then stood up, but then crouched down, when hear, footsteps. He looked to see a sizeable army heading twords the city of Venice. Dragano sneaked away and ran back to Venice, to warn his father of the planned assult of Venice.

OOC: I'm not really sure what you're talking about. Battle strategies? If that's what it is, I'm ok with it.

The blow sent Sindar straight to ground. He was concussed and dizzy. He looked up at the blurred image of a Babylonian soldier standing over him. He tried to speak.
"For the last time, I am not an Aretan spy! I only came to help!"
The guard laughed, spat on Sindar, and asked: "Help with what?"
Sindar thought about his reply while heaving himself onto his feet. His hand rested on the handle of the bleak sword for confidence as he boldly replied:
"I am here to assure the safety of my Babylonian fiancee. I have reason to believe she is in danger."
The guard was loosening up, but was still suspicious. At least he did not pummel Sindar again. "And what is the name of this fiancee?"
Sindar had foreseen this and simply replied "Ymira".
The guard frowned and spoke, quite angry. "This is one of the largest cities in the babylonian empire, I am assured there are many girls by the name of Ymira. What is her family name?"
Sindar spat on the ground and plunged head into gamble.
"Her father is the fletcher, and their family name is the same as their proffession. I don't speak Babylonian well enough to try and spell it out."
The guard looked at him for a moment before laughing, patting Sindar on his shoulder and letting him through.

He headed for Ymiras house while wondering how he should react if she was not home - or if any of the members of her family was with her.

His thoughts stopped dead as he reached the house. It was barren and in very bad shape, and there were few or no bows on the wall. Sindar decided for a head-on approach and entered the hut.

He found the old fletcher sitting in a corner. There was a gust of alcohol in the room. The old man had been drinking. "What happened here?", Sindar demanded without presenting himself. The old man hiccupped and answered, slowly and unsure.
"Well, some smart´-ass recently invented a new type of warbow called a "longbow", the length of a man and with the force to pound a man to the ground from four hundred metres range. Since then, things have gotten worse. My son died in a training accident, and my daughter... Wait, who are you and what are you doing here?"
Sindar realized he had to come up with an answer quick and decided for the easiest solution. "I am a friend of Ymira. I came here to see her."
The old man reacted strangely to this. He started babbling senselessly, withdrawing to a small room behind him. Sindar sighed and turned around when he heard a womans voice, filled with authority. Ymiras mother.
"So, you haven't heard?"
Sindar turned around and looked at her, questioningly. "No, I haven't," he was having trouble controlling his temper. "What happened? Why did he react like that?"
"You see, he started drinking recently and one day, I was out and Ymira was sleeping in her room... He was very drunk, and he - by mistake, he claims - entered her chamber. You can guess the rest."

Sindar exploded. He threw a chair to the floor, breaking it completely, and started fiddling to get his sword out of his belt whilst screaming through tears. Ymiras mother looked at him and continued.

"Don't kill him, you'll not be able to leave city then - and find Ymira. I guessed right about you. But you seem decent and honest enough to give her the life we cannot. I suggest you leave as soon as possible. She left around a month ago and headed west, she spoke of taking things into her own hands... Does that help you?"

Sindar stormed out the door.

Ah, I get it. The Arete military in the RTW perishes in Venice.

Sindar halted as he felt the exhaustion hit him once again. He looked ahead, at the dry road. He had been able to see the group of soldiers for hours, slowly gaining on them, but they obviously did not intend to turn around nad face him, or even wait for him. He took forth his dagger and cut a fresh wound in his skin, on the wrist. The pain shook his body as drops of blood left the wound, but the adrenaline from the shock quickly dammed the pain and blocked out the exhaustion. He had six of these cuts down the arm, several of them still fresh. His horse had died a couple of days ago and he had marched a forced march from then in order to catch up with the coloumn.

He looked up, dried the spit of his lips and burst into a run. After several minutes he caught up with the column and roared in a hoarse voice: "Wait! Wait for me!"

He saw the reaction spread through the ranks as the soldiers finally stopped. A soldier came closer. Sindar began to feel the exhaustion, but dammed it inside him for now. He noted every detail of the column, the number of horses as well as the fact that Ymira was not among the soldiers, and they seemed to be of mized origin, several Spaniards as well as what Sindar recognized as Kassites. The guard stopped and spoke:
"Why should we wait for you? What reason do you have for this haste, you are tiring yourself to death and slowing us down. Our timing is crucial, Vandal needs all the men he can get."
Sindar unsheathed his bleak sword. The guard backed and fumbled for his weapon. Several bows were aimed at Sindar from the coloumn.

Sindar looked at the guard. The guard looked at Sindars weapon.
"This sword was granted to me by Vandal personally. I am to command a part of your division. And I need a horse as well as water and food. Let's get moving."

The guard fought with himself for some time before giving in, helping Sindar to a horse and handing him a skin of water.

Vandal had heard stories of his ancestors, who were know to the world as the Hounds of Gallow. Men and women who went on a vicous rampage in battle, they were feared by all from 5200 - 3900 BC (?). They were even used as mercinaries in Antimidus' army, until he abruptly out-lawed them, when Vandal became Warlord of the Gallow. But now Vandal stood atop the hill where he was surrounded by his family, with his sister on his left, and his Grandson, Dragano, on his right. Each side of the family armed with a different weapon. His family, the Teunoc, were armed with dual axes. The Graals were armed with large maces, and the Heirixi were armed with knives. He was with his people now, and for the first time, Vandal felt at home. He went before his people to begin his speech.

"May the gods, Teric, Varrex, and Gallo bless us as we go upon our mighty Aretean foe. We, the GAllow, have been united, for our last stand against those who oppose us. LEAVE NO MAN ALIVE, SLAUGHTER THEM!!!" Vandal raised his awes as all of the clan screamed before him, each with fire in their heart and a weapon in their hand, as now, Vandal would make his last stand.

Ooc: I have desided not play the battle, partly due to a subsequent crash.

"Thank you, Hito. I knew there was a reason I pay you well," Cyc put his hand on Hito's shoulder. "You do good work. One more thing," he said as he scans the gardens for visitors. Curling his moustache, he gives Hito brief instructions as he hands the mercenary an envelope with a woman's name on it. The two separate, Cyc walking towards the Palace, Hito dissapearing after 10 steps.

"Excellent," thought Cyc. "With dutchfire coming here to see me, we'll get some good strategies for taking Venice back. According to Hito, Lord Civius is marching this way with Shadow agents, and Cedric is on the road from Kassite. A formidable force if I've ever heard of one." Making notations in his Journal, he then writes some quick letters for his scouts to deliver. If it can be arranged so that a coordinated attack can be put together.... "I need fresh maps, a special detail of elephants, and a Company of Elite Mounted Archers..." he thought as he sealed the last envelope with a wax stamp.

Into the mid-morning sun he strode, letters in hand. Reaching his summoned scouts, Cyc gave each 1 envelope and instructions. One at a time, the scouts rode off towards the gate. One for Cedric, one for Lord Civius, and one for the former King, dutchfire.

Turning back to the stairway, Cyc yelled authoritatively. "First Sargent! I need those maps, NOW!"

Cedric atop his horse in his black gown, and wearing a Kassite Helm. He had been drinking, alot, in order to prepare for a fast he would have to become sober, and accurret. He looked back to see his soldiers, all looked proud and each wearing a Kassite Helm, and a light chainmail. And they were all armed with short sword and small circular sheild. They numbered 244 in all, 245 counting Cedric, a formidible force. Cedric unholstered another bottle of wine,a nd took a long drink. He was going to need it.

Dragano looked around for a moment before sitting up. It was blured but he could still see he was in a tent. He rubbed his eyes and them noticed, a beatiful woman next to him. Zekk smiled and then got up and put some pants on. He went over to get a shirt, but saw that the beatiful woman was already wearing it. Zekk grinned and then walked out of the tent to see the camp, with only Vandal outside it. He walked besied Vandal to see a beautiful sunrise, above the large trees.

"Beatiful isn't it?" Vandal asked Zekk, but still watched the sunset.

"Yeah." Zekk simply responded, still seeing no one join them.

"Everyone is still asleep, Zekk," Vandal said, in which Zekk turned forward again." Our people are known, and a viewed as Barbarians. But yet Antimidus himself, fought with us in battle." Vandal spoke calmly, with little true passion in his voice.

"I am suprised that Arete, has not attacked yet. They usually are very quick to reform. Or they are creating a large army." Vandal frowned," Either way we will fight to the last man."

Sindar looked around the camp. His clothes were soaked, but he had regained his health and energy on the easy march on horse. He was walking around the Babylonian camp, looking for Ymira. He thought back on how Vandal had taken the sudden surprise when he had arrived at the head of a coloumn of soldiers to join the battle...

(I'll need some coorporation here, Vandal. Fire at will.)

Vandal looked out to see some shadows moving in the clearing, probably, his renforcements. Vandal instead saw his army, lead by.... SINDAR?!?! Vandal quickly ran back to camp, picked up a bow, and fired at Sindar, the Arrow, missed Sindar by half an inch, and hit the tree behind him.

"No! Wait Vandal, I am here to help!" Sindar yelled. Vandal lowered his bow and gestured the army to follow him to their camp.

Top Bottom