1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The Fall of a Warlord...

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game IV: RPG' started by Vandal Warlord, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

Sindar gasped as he joined up behind Vandal, on the way back to the camp. Recently he had felt himself identify with the old Warlord, and he was sure Vandal was one of the few who would understand his thoughts on joining this war. After all he had a lot to lose by fighting on the other side against Arete. His reputation among his kinsmen as well as in the Manu Neru might detoriate if this was uncovered. But he had to protect Ymira. He saw Vandal look at him questioningly.

"You know I am not only here to help you. Every man has his own reasons, you know that best of all. I would like to be placed in the regiment containing Ymira." Sindar guessed Vandals intelligence on him was up-to-date enough to immidately recognize the name. "And, although I have no right to claim this, not in the front row. I intend to live when this war is over, whatever the outcome. Will you do this for me?"

2. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

Vanda, smiled at Sindar. " She is in th Hounds of Gallow," Vandal replied, "She is somehow, related to me, something like, 3rd cousin, once removed."
    Sindar's mouth dropped.
    "Yes I have family everywhere."Vandal then looked serious. "And By the way, I am 41, not an old Warlord, with nothing left. I will never by past my prime."

3. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

All those who wish to get thier final stories in, please, do so now, for in , 10 minutes I will begin the Battle.

4. Cyc

Cyc Looking for the door...

OOC - Hey you might be moving a little too quickly here, VW. There are others in this story too. I personally have to go to work. You might want to hold off till later.

5. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

Ooc: Sorry, Cyc, I just wanted to get it done, before, I had to go to.

Lucky for, you this computer, won't open tgas, so It will be atleast Sunday, before I can do the battle.

6. Cyc

OOC - Ok, I see. Thanks for holding off. See ya Sunday.

7. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

OOC: Yes Vandal I am working on my next post right now. Sunday sounds good as this is my final post before the battle.

8. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

"It's been a long time since I've worn full battle dress Oda, well the Edorain parade..."
    After a 3 day march the heat of the Aretan Southlands was getting to all fo the Elite Gaurd. Few know of the Kingdoms most deadly and secret organization. After the fall of the APR, its intelligence wing, the Dark Agency, were disbanded by the CoA. Even less know that the CoA had a strong ally in its ranks. When Arete fell to the Rebels the Dark Agents were no where to be found. Why had Aretes protectors abandoned her in her most dire hour?

"Lord Civius, we are approaching the forest north of Venice."
    To be a Samarai is the highest honor of any Aretan soldier. The customs and training of these fierce warriors is a heavily gaurded secret. During the APR Dynasty the Dark Agency requested this knowledge to increase the lethality of its agents. While it was approved, the Samarai leadership refused to share the knowledge for fear it would corrupt the tradition. So it was left to the Agency to do what it does best, espionage. Seems enough Gold can buy any mans soul, it was not long before Oda (a great samarai general) was within the Agencies ranks. He knew he was still serving his lord, the King, but the decision hardened his heart.

"Yes, Oda, the scouts have returned and informed me. Have you completed the battleplan?"
    The Agency has gone down a path of both dark espionage and samarai tradition. They are ordered to perform dark missions while honoring the spiritual code. It is no longer a team of spies and assassins but a brotherhood of Shadow Samarai serving the Agency and its Kingdom.

"Right here lord, the bows will fire at the........................................"

9. Diamondeye

Sindar had been in the camp for some days now. He had won the other soldiers trust gradually, and he, in lack of a tent of his own, slept in the same tent as Ymira. He was getting anxious and overenergetic as nothing continued to happen. He was determined with defending Ymira, even if it would cost him his own life, and the last couple of days, he had been training and practicing harder and longer than ever before, to work out the rush of emotion of seeing her again and doubt whether she would be gone in a few days. His shape had rapidly improved and so had his skill. He had begun practicing rather fatal fighting moves, quickly learning to fight with a blade in each hand, even from horseback. Several of the soldiers had been shocked by the intensity in the eyes of the young warrior who trained from sunrise to sunset almost every day. Sindar had loosened his hair from its ponytail and had also practised painting simple patterns of warpaint on his body.

Now he was sitting mounted, the bleak sword in his right and a standard sword in his left. He had several knives around his body, clad in heavy leather armor. One of the sides of his face was decorated in hundreds of small, blue images painted in the sturdy woad warpaint. He was smiling. On the horse next to him was Ymira. Everything would be decided today. He looked to the head of the coloumn and smiled at Vandal. Ready.

10. Cyc

Oda nods at Lord Civius. "Right here lord, the bows will fire at the........................................" Stopping mid-sentance, he turns to see what the yelling is about. His answer comes quicly. In a cloud of dust races the scout sent by Cyc. Lord Civius' men received excellent training in identifying friends and foes alike. The react appropriately. A chain of the Elite Gaurd yelled up in front of the rider, soon the yell outraced the scout. "King's Crest!" was the call. The scout had been inspected closely with arrows pointed at his chest. The scout finally made it to the main group, easily identifiable. He dismounted, walked to where Lord Civius was standing, accompanied by two agents. He knelt before Lord Civius, head down, offering the envelope given to him by the Regent.

Lord Civius saw the seal on the envelope and started to open it. He looked at he scout. "From Regent Cyc, scout?" The scout stood, "Yes, m'lord" was all he said.

Lord Civius glanced at Oda, "Hold that thought," he said with a slight smile.

11. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

OOC: Disregard my post about it being my last. /OOC

"What Lord Civius? What is the Regents message?"
    Why did I let him go!? A thought that has kept me up many a night. Before the Spanish War Vandal and I vied for the dark agents' loyalty. Fierce competition that brought our friendship to its end. When I brought Oda to teach the men tha Art of the Samurai, Vandal challenged him to battle. I stabbed him in the back, for it was his honor to train the men in his families' tradition. It was lethal but cold, barbaric, the agents were becoming ruthless under Warlord Vandal. After I forbid the contest he challenged me.....

I looked at Oda with cold, dark eyes. "I should have let you do it."
    "Do what lord?" Oda replied with a confused look.
    "Nothing General, send a copy of the plans to the Regent. We attack on the eve of the sun."
    "Lord Civius?"
    "General?"
    "What should I have done....????...."

The words felt like a slap to the face. Surely Vandal was just angry, but as quick as I could start to speak metal sparked inches from my face. The handle half of Vandals sword still in hand and half of the blade at my feet. Oda had his sword to Vandals' throat and looked at me to give the order. My hesitation almost cost Oda his life as Vandal launched a knife from his belt striking the Samurai in his chest. Then he was gone along with those loyal to the three families. Til this day every life lost in the name of Warlord Vandal leaves blood on my hands.

"Ridded the world of the Dark Warlord!."

12. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

Vandal stood atop a large rock in the center of the large hill. He was clad in heavy, black, leather. He was armed with dual blades, an array of Daggars, and a Longbow, to start the Battle with. He loked to Sindar, who smiled at him, Vandal smiled back. Then he looked at his family, all nodded in their approvement. Andro, had gone for a forest attack on the side, he commanding all of our spearmen to kill of the General. Sindar commanded the Crossbowmen, and Cavalry. While Vandal commanded The Hounds of Gallow, and the Elite Driuds, the healers, and most skilled, fighters in the Clan. He was prepared to end, all of the lives of Arete's heros.

13. Cyc

The King's scouts had all met their goal. King dutchfire read his note enroute to the Capital. It had asked him to be prepared to journey to the battlefield with Regent Cyc. A plan had been formulated. Cyc had wanted the former King to be present.

The scout carrying Cedric's note used the same cautious method of getting to the Prince of Kassite as Lord Civius' scout had used. Cedric had read the note, had a brief conference wih his generals, and was back on the road. His note was similar to Lord Civius' note. Requesting a delay in attacking Venice. Cyc would be in the hills before Venice and a battlefield meeting was to be held. As Cedric's forces moved forward, the formation regrouped in a drill-like manner.

Lord Civius crushed the note in his hand. He walked through the woods to a clearing where he could look down the long valley toward Venice. He had only told Oda they would be attacking tomorrow to keep the men primed. By now Oda had given the orders, and things were set in motion. Dig in for the night.

Oda approached. "The men are in preparations for camp. Awaiting orders," he said to Lord Civius.

"Good. Just between us, Regent Cyc is coming to the battlefield. We are to meet with him. Seems there's to be a coordinated approach to this. Excuse my outbursy before, Oda. I held a notion I would kill Vandal myself."

14. Diamondeye

OOC: Cyc! I though I was the only "Thick as a Brick" freak around here! Nice to meet a fellow fan :)

15. Cyc

Cyc once again sends his scouts into the fray. This time the two scouts (dutchfire was now with Regent Cyc) had a new message and a crudely drawn map. The map was of the Battlefield and the surrounding areas, with Venice to the East. Each of the three forces were shown in different colors. The first arrows showing where to camp. The extended arrows showing approximate location for battle.

The note suggested ;) the Lord Civius and Prince Cedric arrive at Cyc's camp for a late night meeting. Vandal would know that we all were here, so dig in. And have your troops ready for tomorrow morning.

The messages were delivered posthaste. Two Elite Mounted archers followed each scout as closely as they could, to afford them some protection.

Cyc, dutchfire, the Generals and their forces, and a few others were already settling in the camp. Leg of lamb was to be served for dinner.

Attached Files:

16. Cyc

The dining area was simple, this was war, not a festival. Far enough away from the cook for some privacy, close enough to the creek to keep the ale and wine chilled. The guest of honor, of course was former King dutchfire. People sat to his left or right.On his right was Regent Cyc, to his left was General Fransico Pizzaro of Edorai. To Cyc's right was a surprise guest. A beautiful woman of light skin and dark hair. A woman so fair that wars could be fought over her. During the day, as she walked with Cyc, the men would kneel and bow their heads. Even Cyc found it hard to concentrate when she was around. Her name was Sylvia. Long lost daughter of Vandal the Rebel.

Cyc had remembered hearing Vandal talk about her when he was having that smoke in the alley. About how the Triad took her away. And in deed they did. It took Hito quite a while to find her, but at Cyc's instruction, he did. The Triad had taken her to Eldorai, and apparently taken by her beauty, took good care of her. Cyc had let it be known that Sylvia was now under his protection, as she remained in Eldorai. Cyc had never seen Sylvia, had only heard of her beauty, and corresponded through letter and messenger. When he heard that Vandal had declared war and attacked Venice, he sent Sylvia a note telling her to go see General Fransico Pizzaro as the both of them needed to come to Arete immediately. She never left Cyc's side, as that is what Cyc requested.

Lord Civius and Prince Cedric had not shown for dinner, but a meal would be saved for them. Dinner talk was light, mostly about triumphs from the past. Mostly the men wanted to charm Sylvia, especially dutchfire, who might have had 1 ale too many. But the serious talk was held for the meeting tonight.

17. dutchfire

dutchfire Deity Retired Moderator

Did anyone mention beer? I'll have another one please *burp*

18. Diamondeye

Before the sun was up, Sindar was up and moving. He was on foot, for maximum stealth, and crawled through the forest north of Venice. The scouts had spotted forces to the west but it had been to late yesterday to attack. The battle would commence in a couple of hours, once the sun had risen. He had to hurry.

He wore only leather pants, and warpaint down his face and chest.

This is how a warrior - and general - should live. Not like those on the hill over there, drinking beer till dawn and staying behind the lines. In order to live one must be willing to die accordingly.

Sindars thoughts was stopped by a movement that caught his eye. Someone else was out early and moved through the forest from what Sindar identified as west.

Sindar also quickly identified the sound of a horse besides the footsteps. The aretan scout had dismounted to travel easier in the woods. Sindar crouched with a sword in each hand and awaited the scout.

Unsuspicious, the scout walked too close to Sindar, who quickly jumped up and swung out with both of his weapons against the horse. He could catch the scout on foot, and he would need the aretans not to be alarmed. The horse staggered to the ground as its throat was cut. Sindars other blade had pierced the stomach of the horse and was stuck.

The scout turned around, sword in hand, to face Sindar.

After some initial - and surprisingly easy - blocks, Sindar commenced offensive and dealt his enemy a wound on the right arm. The scout dropped his sword and held up his hands in a resigning manner. Sindar let his bleak blade rest against the mands throat.

"I need to know something", he said. The scout was shocked by the pure aretan accent Sindar had maintained through his stay in the camp. Since the scout could not see Sindars face, he asked Sindar nerveously: "Are you - are you the Vandal?"

Sindar laughed, cold-heartedly. "No, I am not. But my identity does not matter. I need to know something from you, and you may keep your life."

The scout stammered. "What do you wish to know?"

"Who is your general, and does any of the aretan forces plan to go through this forest for the battle?"

The scout breathed heavily. "I serve the cavalry general Lord Civius, and his mounted forces will pass past the outskirts of the wood, on the west side. Their horses are bothered by heavy foliage and they will not enter the woods. Nor will any of the other regiments."

Sindar thought about the answer for a moment, before deciding to trust the scout. Fear was a powerful tool, he had learnt that from Vandal. "Alright, you live to see another day", Sindar answered.

As the scout turned around to run westwards, Sindar quickly slit the scouts knees from behind. Unable to stand, the scout fell to the ground. Sindar qwelled a laugh.
    "Don't think I am that stupid. You are not going to warn the aretans of this."

Sindar ran back towards Venice as the sun breached the horizon. He had his back covered. If the battle was lost, he would make sure that Ymira and possibly himself could escape through the forests.

19. Lord Civius

Lord Civius Emperor

I walked into camp, fingers crossed that Cycs plan would work. Hah Cavalry General!, would Vandal really buy it?
    "There's my Lord, Cyc the plan is underway."
    "Civiusssss, have a beer and sit"
    As I sat I noticed a beautiful woman at Cycs side. All knew he would soon be king, the liberation of Venice would ensure it. She was to fair to be a concubine, a noble?, was she to be our queen? I couldn't help but to admire her beauty.....
    "Civius!" I awoke from my daze. "Did the horses arrive at your camp?"
    "Yes Lord Regent, my men were quite confused. Oda is briefing the field commanders as we speak"
    "Great! Now open your ears all. I have given you all a piece of the puzzle now we shall put it together......"
    We all sat hanging on every word, deep into the night.

20. Vandal Warlord

Vandal Warlord Nazgûl

Vandal watched Sindar cripple the man. He walked over to him and leaned to his ear.

"Luckey man." Vandal said as he picked up the man and threw him on a cart as Vandal pulled the cart down the hill and to the enemy Camp. He noticed one guard raise a bow and shoot at Vandal. Vandal caught the shot and then threw it right back at him into a near by tree. The guard raised his bow again this time shaking.

"You want to try that again, Sparky?" Vandal asked. The Guard lowered his bow.

"Good Choice." Vandal laughed as he walked into camp. When he entered the center he threw the man into the ground, and then calmly left, peacefully.

The bloodthirsty beast that once in habbited Vandal had left. But the Dreaded Warlord would never go away.