The "Fall Patch"

Sorry, but your being a little over the top there. These big patches are usually followed by a hotfix and Aspyr hasn't appeared to be slowed down in the past by rolling in the hotfix into their patch.

This window between the PC and MAC version exists every time, and every time Aspyr seems to get it a little faster than when we thought they would. AspyrRyan's been very good about throwing us what he know's and it's a big holiday week here so have a snickers...

Full of hope for this future patch ;)

Sid,
You have a nice setup--one I'm hoping to emulate when the new iMacs arrive next month. Are you running Windows 7 in 32 bit or 64 bit mode?

i hope in the aspyr support page they will say an ETA for us..... :)
let's play CIV V!!!

Sorry, but your being a little over the top there.

No, we're really not. We paid the same price that the PC people paid, but, we can't play their game. No mod support with Steam Workshop, no patch parity, and still some new hardware unresolved.

I get around this by playing it on my Win 7 partition. If I have to do that to get all the features I paid for, why am I paying Aspyr for anything?

Other companies out there release their games with full Mac support, including editors/mods. It's time for other companies to get with the program. This isn't 1999 anymore. Either support us fully, or don't bother, because if I have to run it on my Win 7 partition to get the whole thing, why would I bother to pay full price for a partial port? Or, if I am buying a partial port, give me an option to buy a Mac-only version and pay less for it.

True... +1 for you
no, we're really not. We paid the same price that the pc people paid, but, we can't play their game. No mod support with steam workshop, no patch parity, and still some new hardware unresolved.

I get around this by playing it on my win 7 partition. If i have to do that to get all the features i paid for, why am i paying aspyr for anything?

Other companies out their release their games with full mac support, including editors/mods. It's time for other companies to get with the program. This isn't 1999 anymore. Either support us fully, or don't bother, because if i have to run it on my win 7 partition to get the whole thing, why would i bother to pay full price for a partial port? Or, if i am buying a partial port, give me an option to buy a mac-only version and pay less for it.

No, we're really not. We paid the same price that the PC people paid, but, we can't play their game. No mod support with Steam Workshop, no patch parity, and still some new hardware unresolved.

I get around this by playing it on my Win 7 partition. If I have to do that to get all the features I paid for, why am I paying Aspyr for anything?

Other companies out there release their games with full Mac support, including editors/mods. It's time for other companies to get with the program. This isn't 1999 anymore. Either support us fully, or don't bother, because if I have to run it on my Win 7 partition to get the whole thing, why would I bother to pay full price for a partial port? Or, if I am buying a partial port, give me an option to buy a Mac-only version and pay less for it.

What company are you complaining about here? Aspyr has done all of the Mac development of the Civ games for quite a while now and this pattern is always same. They get the patch to start work on the Mac version around the time said patch is released on the PC. There usually is a PC hotfix that comes out before Aspyr gets the mac version out. Then Aspyr rolls that hotfix in and we see it a little later just like it has happened every single time in the past.

And this might only be my impression, but it seems like they get these out faster now than they did in the past... As far as mods and the workshop, I wouldn't hold my breath and that has nothing to do with Aspyr and this patch...

As far as mods and the workshop, I wouldn't hold my breath and that has nothing to do with Aspyr and this patch...

It's still the general situation, Aox. If Aspyr's going to charge the same money for a Mac version with less features, I'm not going to buy their stuff. I'll just buy the PC version and run it the way I have been and get everything I paid for, and not wait for the patch to 'catch up'. I know the patch lag isn't really Aspyr's fault, but, the lack of any mod support and workshop support is definitely on them.

As I've said before, if I have to run it on Windows to get everything I paid for, then that renders Aspyr's version redundant in my eyes. I dealt with being the redheaded stepchild in Civ 3 days, because there weren't other choices. There are choices now, and game companies need to recognize that. Maybe that makes Aspyr's niche more precarious, but that's not, strictly speaking, my problem. Maybe they're hamstrung by the deals they make with the publisher. Again, that's on them to think about what they're offering.

I simply can't see buying the Mac-only App-store version for the same price as the Steam version, for example.

Also, this isn't about 'making it work' on the Mac side for mods. I have no issues with modifying a few files, etc. I maintain no-GUI Linux servers for a living, after all. It's the fact that I *shouldn't* have to mess with that at all just because it's the Mac version of the game rather than the Windows version.

The 650M graphic card and Mountain Lion need to be supported imho :)

I believe for just everywhere in December, if not, just before 2012 Christmas....

Full of hope...

I hate to be so negative, but do we have any evidence that this patch is even scheduled for release on the Mac? I don't know much about porting contracts but my guess is Firaxis has to pay Aspyr money to do an update.

please AspyRyan let us know something

I hate to be so negative, but do we have any evidence that this patch is even scheduled for release on the Mac? I don't know much about porting contracts but my guess is Firaxis has to pay Aspyr money to do an update.

my guess is Firaxis has to pay Aspyr money to do an update.

You'd guess wrong. Aspyr pays 2K/Firaxis for access to the code and the OS X distribution rights, and keeps the revenues from Mac sales.

I'm sure they're working on it. If I had to guess I'd say the release of "the fall patch" was delayed by both the follow-up hotfix and the desire to fix some of these rMBP / ML stability issues reported.

Unless the model has changed, Aspyr gets no extra funding for patches beyond the contract for publishing the OS X version. As I recall, Civ3 required several PC patches after it's release to the point Aspyr just stopped updating the Mac version. It only reached patch parity when a programmer used his personal time to port the patch.

no please no
Unless the model has changed, Aspyr gets no extra funding for patches beyond the contract for publishing the OS X version. As I recall, Civ3 required several PC patches after it's release to the point Aspyr just stopped updating the Mac version. It only reached patch parity when a programmer used his personal time to port the patch.

Well, it was MacSoft that gave up on Civ3 vanilla, not Aspyr. Aspyr have a good record of sticking with the patches on Civ4 and Civ5 ... so far.

[off topic] Brad Oliver worked as lead developer for Westlake, who ported Civ3 for MacSoft under contract. The last version of vanilla Civ3 escaped from his hard drive as a beta, along with a valiant attempt at an editor. Brad then moved to Aspyr and ported the newer versions of Civ3, plus Civ4. [/off topic]

Thanks for the reassurance, AspyrRyan! And my apologies to the forum for guessing above on the business model as to who funds patch porting. I don't honestly know how these deals work, I just hope there's an ongoing financial incentive for someone to keep porting the investment Firaxis has made in updating the game.

Top Bottom