1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The "Fall Patch"

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Macintosh' started by technome, Sep 24, 2012.

1. jpinoniemi

jpinoniemi Warlord Supporter

My Steam copy just updated, I'm at version 1.0.2.21 (108797) :D

2. AspyrRyan

AspyrRyan Prince

Well, I was trying to finish a cross platform game before saying it was out for sure, but I guess soonish is close enough.

3. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

I assume the App Store Campaign edition is not patched yet?

I tried loading a GOTM save created on a current Windows Gods and Kings installation. It refuses to load because of missing DLC.

It looks as if the save specifies the Mongolia and Upgrade 1 DLC, though those are now integral with the software. I stripped the DLC references out of the save using a hex editor, and it loaded OK, so there appears to be some cross-platform incompatibility.

4. dojoboy

dojoboy Tsalagi

Patched ~ Steam version 1.0.2.21 (108797)

5. Nelson Minar

Nelson Minar Chieftain

Yay! 12.2MB Steam patch. I was able to load TGS 52 from the Game of the Month series here; I bought a bunch of DLC, maybe that's why I don't have the problem AlanH encountered.

Cmd-Tab does something reasonable but not terrific; graphics and music still present, just in the background. Rendering a late game save seems about the same as before the patch, on a 2012 iMac (GeForce GTX 660M) with Mountain Lion. Playable, but not exactly speedy. High res texture pop-in still takes forever, only now I also get a set of blank grey images first before the low res textures. All in all the engine seems to be about the same performance as before.

6. AlanH

I've done some investigation. It looks as if the patch that repackaged the Steam version as a .app package failed to transfer my Mongolia DLC. I've found it and moved it into the app package manually. I then had to mess with a dds file to prevent some texture errors, and I can now load up a TSG/GOTM start file. I don't know how my installation got corrupted, but it looks as if this may be a one-off problem.

7. paintanker

paintanker Chieftain

edit: nvm >.>

8. manu-fan

manu-fan Emperor

Yep - you can tell it's the patch because of the notifications at the bottom about the player's turns.

Cheers.

9. Denounced

Denounced Chieftain

I haven't got the patch and I haven't got this steam you all mention.
    I got my copy from the App Store on Mac and its not even updated the patch on there. What do I do to get it?

10. Tautology

Tautology Chieftain

I don't think it's been put up yet. Shouldn't be to long now.

11. jpinoniemi

jpinoniemi Warlord Supporter

Updated my MBP to 10.8.2 after this latest patch and all seems well. I'm running Steam G&K, no mods.

12. Packherd2

Packherd2 Warlord

The graphics performance is MUCH improved!

13. jbmoll

jbmoll Chieftain

What machine specs are you running? What can you tell that is faster?

14. moondark

moondark Chieftain

This is my first post, yet I'm a very long term reader of Civfanatics forums, I'm posting because I got very angry with the new patch.

There is anyone having success in starting up a game using 2880x1800HiDPI resolution in a standard Macbook pro Retina 15'', any working display settings?

I have tried a lot combinations of settings with no success, this update just killed the game! The game crashes after trying to start a new campaign. I also tried to redownload it from steam and the problem seems to be persistent.

It is a shame because the product is getting worse after each patch. Also even using lower resolution settings the software keeps crashing after few turns. The PC version runs smoother and with no crashes on bootcamp in a inferior OS.

Do you aspyr guys really test the software? You know there is not too many mac systems to be tested, I think that a 2 day testing would reveal that no game can be started in a macbook pro with retina display and this is not a minor bug! Also it takes a lot of time for them to release fixes or patches for such MAJOR BUGs. It is quite depressing because people have paid full price for the game and expansions yet we received a BETA quality product. I know that the whole process is hard and may have low priority, but it is not good to release something that was not really tested before.

Also the game crashes without any exception, so there is no protection or error handler system, the game just crashes to ground level with BAD ACCESS. This is dangerous! WTF aspyr?

The Crash report:

Crashed Thread: 5

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
    Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000007

VM Regions Near 0x7:
    --> __PAGEZERO 0000000000000000-0000000000001000 [ 4K] ---/--- SM=NUL /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/*/Civilization V.app/Contents/MacOS/Civilization V
    __TEXT 0000000000001000-0000000000b00000 [ 11.0M] r-x/rwx SM=COW /Users/USER/Library/Application Support/Steam/*/Civilization V.app/Contents/MacOS/Civilization V

Thread 5 Crashed:
    0 libGLProgrammability.dylib 0x13a1646c glpMakeVariableDeclarationNode + 47
    1 libGLProgrammability.dylib 0x13a2ab18 glpMakePrimitiveVariableFragment + 263
    2 libGLProgrammability.dylib 0x13a0c852 sanitizeConstructor + 922
    3 libGLProgrammability.dylib 0x13a0b5bb glpCheckAndSanitizeConstructorCall + 3975
    4 libGLProgrammability.dylib 0x13a44ae8 glpSANode + 4876
    5 libGLProgrammability.dylib 0x13a50f60 glpSABinaryOperator + 83
    6 libGLProgrammability.dylib 0x13a4b156 glpSAAssign + 56
    7 libGLProgrammability.dylib 0x13a45715 glpSANode + 7993
    8 libGLProgrammability.dylib 0x13a46ccc glpSANode + 13552
    9 libGLProgrammability.dylib 0x13a46d95 glpSANode + 13753
    10 libGLProgrammability.dylib 0x13a4631f glpSANode + 11075
    11 libGLProgrammability.dylib 0x13a47b9c glpSANode + 17344
    12 libGLProgrammability.dylib 0x139a8d34 glpCompileShader + 212
    13 libGLProgrammability.dylib 0x139df9ac ShCompile + 174
    14 GLEngine 0x1390830f gleShaderParse + 347
    15 GLEngine 0x1382ae14 glCompileShaderIncludeARB_Exec + 368
    16 GLEngine 0x13829c94 glCompileShaderARB_UnpackThread + 50
    17 GLEngine 0x138ca125 gleCmdProcessorPTHREAD + 439
    18 libsystem_c.dylib 0x93f4d557 _pthread_start + 344
    19 libsystem_c.dylib 0x93f37cee thread_start + 34

I just sent the bug report to aspyr.

15. Jarvid

Jarvid Chieftain

What exactly does this patch do? Besides notify you about when players are taking their turns?

16. AlanH

17. Amaruq

Amaruq Chieftain

18. Cougarcat

Cougarcat Warlord

Haven't tried it on my beefy desktop yet, but I can say playing the later game on my 2010 13" MBP w/ 320M is no longer an exercise in frustration on low settings. Previously, I would have to retreat to catan mode it was so bad.

19. forty2j

forty2j King

Hopefully you also opened a help ticket at support.aspyr.com. In your understandably emotional reaction you may have forgone the opportunity to explore possibilities other than the patch being buggy. For example, there may be a hardware or OS X problem on your rMBP, or Steam may have managed to corrupt your Civ installation while applying the patch. The latter happened to me once, took me 3 days to sort it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. firstordergray

firstordergray Chieftain

I installed the new version of Civ5 on my iMac yesterday, and single player version of the game works great. However, tonight I tried to start a multiplayer game and Civ5 just crashes every time I hit the "internet" button (after three times in a row I gave up). I was going to play a friend running a MBP Retina, and he is having the same problem, so I know it's not just my computer. Seems to be related to the update. Anyone else having this problem? Any ideas?