1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

The first war I remember... (WITH POLL)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Richard III, Feb 6, 2003.

?

The first war I remember is...

1. Korea

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  2. Vietnam

12 vote(s)
    10.9%
  3. Afghanistan (Soviet invasion)

10 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Iran-Iraq War ("Persian Gulf War")

11 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. Falklands/Malvinas

8 vote(s)
    7.3%
  6. Grenada invasion

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  7. Israeli invasion of The Lebanon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Panama

4 vote(s)
    3.6%
  9. Romanian rebellion, 1989

5 vote(s)
    4.5%
  10. Gulf War, 1991

31 vote(s)
    28.2%
  11. Somalia intervention

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Slovene/Croat wars of independence

2 vote(s)
    1.8%
  13. Bosnian war of indepedence

10 vote(s)
    9.1%
  14. Macedonian civil war

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Kosovo

8 vote(s)
    7.3%
  16. None of the above/Other (please state)

6 vote(s)
    5.5%
  1. cromagnon

cromagnon Emperor

Iran-Iraq war. I was five, and I remember we had to black out the city by putting aluminum foil on all the windows so Iraqi bombers wouldn't see any targets. :(

2. ellie

ellie Emperor

Falklands conflict.

I remeber it very well :<

Ellie

3. cgannon64

cgannon64 BOB DYLAN'S ROCKIN OUT!

Kosovo. I was alive from the Romanian rebellion on, but I was only a few months at that time. :p The first war that I really remember as more than broken, random images on a TV was Kosovo. Kosovo was the first war that I actually cared about; it was around the first time I cared about politics. Anything before than was a blur.

4. Switch625

Switch625 I don't care.

I voted Vietnam, as I was 11 when Saigon fell. I remember talking about it in school with schoolmates, and doing a report about the Vietnam War.

I also remember seeing some older cousins of mine after they got back from serving tours in 'Nam. I was nine, I guess, when the US got out for good.

5. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Blood Elven Ghost Agent

New Suramar City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    The Fall of the Berlin Wall, The Collapes of the Soviet Unit and its Soviet Bloc, Iraqi's Invasion of Kuwait, and The Gulf War. Thoes are the Earlyest events I remember.

6. Magnus

Magnus Diplocat

The 1973 Arab-Israeli War. I remember my teacher trying to explain to a bunch of first graders what "guerrillas' were - we all thought they were apes.

7. Flatlander Fox

Flatlander Fox Armed Cultural Consultant

:lol:

Jesus! Magnus you are an old coot! ;)

I remember Grenada pretty well, and talked about it in school a bit.

I especially remember laughing at the SNL skit "Daddy, what was Grenada" book series for no reason other than I thought it was a joke that I could get. :)

8. Pongui

Pongui Deity

I voted Panama. I remember some news from earlier wars, but Panama was the first time I grasped the background and peripheral information enough to think ahead of the coverage and commentary. Unless you include the Cold War, generally.

9. Stormbringer

Stormbringer The Brick and The Rose

Chechnya

10. Vrylakas

Vrylakas The Verbose Lord

I have clear memories of the Vietnam war as a child. It ended when I was about 7 years old. I remember watching scenes of American soldiers on TV refusing to fight or move forward on some patrol.

In Poland there was a violent worker-army confrontation in 1970 but while I was 2 years old I don't quite remember that one...

I remember being outraged by the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan in 1979, and rejoicing at Brezhnev's death in 1982. I clipped the headlines and I recall my father asking what the hell I was doing that for. I remember though rooting for the Argentine side in the Falklands War - had a big anti-colonial bent. I remember Granada, the bombing of Libya, the Lebanese Civil war and the Israeli invasion, etc. etc. etc. And of course, I was in my early 20s during the collapse of communism in Eastern Europe and I have very happy memories of those days...

11. Ace

Ace Emperor

I remember Korea. I was 7 when the North invaded the South. I can still see the headlines in the newpaper regarding the war. We had just gotten our first TV, but this was before the networks had news programs.

12. Chris1111

Chris1111 Lurker

Probably the gulf war but I vaguely remember several others but I was to young to really care about that stuff and more interested in playing Ultima on my commodore 64 :)

Gulf War is the most vivid since CNN blasted us with 24hrs worth of live TV showing the destruction of the Iraqi military.

13. Sultan Bhargash

Sultan Bhargash Trickster Reincarnated

Unless the Falklands came first it was Grenada. Born in 1970, I was totally shielded from news of the Vietnam war till after it was over. The first war I really remember is the Korea of M*A*S*H.

14. Pongui

Pongui Deity

"Lit up like a christmas tree."

TV viewership had been steadily rising in North America, year after year, until then. Around the time of the Iraq/US war, it dropped off, and continued dropping for some years.

15. napoleon526

napoleon526 Emperor

I was eight during Desert Storm. I specifically remember watching footage of Iraq's SCUD missle attacks on Israel. I wasn't sure what was going on, but my parents were scared, so I was too.

16. Simon Darkshade

Simon Darkshade Mysterious City of Gold

Various events and news of Afghanistan from about 1984.

17. Cantankerous

Cantankerous ...but I do know Shinola

I voted for the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.

I was only 5 or so when Saigan fell in the Vietnam war. I seem to recall images of helicopters on TV, but the concept of a war was not really comprehensible to me at the time. I suspect the images of helicopters would be memorable simply because the may have looked cool at my young age.

During the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan I was old enough to understand what was going on while seeing it unfold on TV news.

18. mordhiem

mordhiem Quantum Physicist

Bosnia is the first I can clearly remember. The burnt out towns with artillery firing at distant hillside positions etc.

19. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

As a young urchin I recall seeing BBC reports of Iran and Iraq's excesses against each other.

I recall the General Belgrano being sunk too, during the Falklands campaign.

In my area of Scotland you grow up with WW2 myths.
    I had many war-veteran uncles and my Grandfather used to tell me tales of his experiences in battle against the Germans.

WW2 is the war that I still study.

20. Darkness

Darkness Shadow creature

Gulf War. I was 14 at the time.
    Kind of hard to miss with all the live 24 hour a day footage coming from CNN...